• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody here check out Greg Capullo's twitter account? He has been posting stuff for Metal from time to time.
Yeah, love his Diana.

Just came out of Alien. Man, it's still such a good film and the OST is top notch. The showing was fully booked as well so hearing people react to the final scare
in the shuttle
was great.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yeah, love his Diana.

Just came out of Alien. Man, it's still such a good film and the OST is top notch. The showing was fully booked as well so hearing people react to the final scare
in the shuttle
was great.
I always get caught as shit from the jumpscare in the vent. I know its coming but it always gets me

Only read his parts on Grayson and the current Nightwing and any time he was writing on Grayson it was noticeably worse and I've only liked one arc of this Nightwing run. Thought the arc that just ended was really forced and corny and was trying to rely too much on apparently old runs when Dick was Batman. The only bits I liked were Dick and Damien early on and at the end.

Power Rangers on the other hand has been pretty great, though I've gotten behind on it.

I can tell you, as a homeowner, it doesn't help. You'll fill that up too, eventually.

Honestly, I feel that despite buying a place that's bigger, I have less room than before somehow. The house is full of more *real* things, less room for comics and fun stuff everywhere. Plus the tsum tsums have become a real problem, I think they're multiplying...

TheFlow

Banned
Only read his parts on Grayson and the current Nightwing and any time he was writing on Grayson it was noticeably worse and I've only liked one arc of this Nightwing run. Thought the arc that just ended was really forced and corny and was trying to rely too much on apparently old runs when Dick was Batman. The only bits I liked were Dick and Damien early on and at the end.

Power Rangers on the other hand has been pretty great, though I've gotten behind on it.
:/ which arc

:/ which arc

The first arc in Bludhaven with the reformed villains. I even liked the first issue or two of this arc, but then it shifted to the main villain and seemed to heavily reference stuff I'm not aware of and by the end it feels like the set up of Shawn as a girlfriend and most of the development set up in those first issues is all just thrown away. Here's this one issue where we're throwing Shawn in as a love interest and we're going to speed it up and they're pretty serious, oh she got kidnapped and she isn't around for a couple issues and now false alarm and she said she needs some time. The two issues I liked centered around Dick/Damien and Dick/Shawn, then it shifted to the villain aspect and it completely lost me and it ended with seemingly negating the first two issues I actually liked.

Meh, sorry kind of rambly.

The first arc in Bludhaven with the reformed villains. I even liked the first issue or two of this arc, but then it shifted to the main villain and seemed to heavily reference stuff I'm not aware of and by the end it feels like the set up of Shawn as a girlfriend and most of the development set up in those first issues is all just thrown away. Here's this one issue where we're throwing Shawn in as a love interest and we're going to speed it up and they're pretty serious, oh she got kidnapped and she isn't around for a couple issues and now false alarm and she said she needs some time. The two issues I liked centered around Dick/Damien and Dick/Shawn, then it shifted to the villain aspect and it completely lost me and it ended with seemingly negating the first two issues I actually liked.

I love Nightwing, but I agree with everything you've said. Seeley is really good at writing the interpersonal parts, and just overall the character himself. But his stories leave something to be desired. I loved the callbacks to the Morrison run in this arc, but it felt more like shallow fan-service than anything meaningful. That said, I love his take on Dick and that alone makes it one of my favorite DC books.

I think the reason Grayson worked so well was because King was writing all the high-concept story matter and Seeley was writing Dick. Also explains both of the current Batman and Nightwing runs' problems.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its Semi-Finals Time for the ESC and its time to celebrate Europe with the best song contest in the world! You americans should watch it, too!

MG310

Good first set of guests for NYCC

Scott Snyder
Jim Mahfood
Jen Bartel
Erica Henderson
Alex Maleev
Humberto Ramos

Also picked up this Scarlet Witch sketch from Jessica Lynn (https://www.instagram.com/jessica.draws.stuff/)
RahhVY1P_0905171515281gpadd.jpg

This looks great! I've had a little look at it before, I was kind of holding off until volume 2 later in the year, but your mention of the gutter thing....I hadn't thought about that lol. Maybe I'll just read the web comic after all.

Did any of you guys ever watch the animated HB movies? They had Kate in them, which was pretty <3 I thought they were kid friendly though and I put one on for my boy when he was 6 or 7 ,and I came back in to a section of the movie that was adapting Heads, the story where HB is in Japan and he stays the night at the house with all the headless demons, and it was the exact moment the guy is telling the *funny* story about the farmer and his wife, which is actually hilariously dark but definitely not child appropriate. I literally ran to turn the tv off.
The gutter thing isn't a deal breaker, but it's really easy to see it's a webcomic first and foremost.

I haven't seen the Hellboy animated stuff myself despite owning some toys from it. Is it on any streaming services? Or would I need to buy them to check them out?

Messi

Did anyone stay with the Archie zombie series? I stopped at six but it was kinda good, are 7-10 worth getting?

Yeah same quality but now we are in another delay cycle.

Good first set of guests for NYCC

Scott Snyder
Jim Mahfood
Jen Bartel
Erica Henderson
Alex Maleev
Humberto Ramos

Also picked up this Scarlet Witch sketch from Jessica Lynn (https://www.instagram.com/jessica.draws.stuff/)

Nice commission

I'm very excited to see Jen Bartel and Erica Henderson again. Lovely people.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Check dat amazing X-Force Deadpool figure out

image.gif

image.gif

Also, there was a Emma Frost Cosplayer for Iceland.

LOL, now Harley Quinn for Latvia

Christian

What are the concensi on Ewing's New Avengers and Waid's ANAD Avengers? I found cheap lots of both, but I don't know a ton about either. Does the New Avengers run lead into Champions?

You mean that hot new Sims/Bowers jernt?

I enjoyed the first issue of the new Youngblood, if it's like that I'm interested.

Also, I never read the originals and this has been bugging me since Donnie brought it up a few weeks ago. What's the difference between Youngblood and Team Youngblood? I didn't read much Image as a kid. Is it a Titans/Team Titans style thing?

The gutter thing isn't a deal breaker, but it's really easy to see it's a webcomic first and foremost.

I haven't seen the Hellboy animated stuff myself despite owning some toys from it. Is it on any streaming services? Or would I need to buy them to check them out?

Not sure about streaming, all that stuff is different here, but there is a nice bluray with both on it. They never released it here and I refuse to buy dvds lol. They are worth checking out for fun though. Did you see what Scott Allie tweeted back at me? Not sure which way to take it!
I enjoyed the first issue of the new Youngblood, if it's like that I'm interested.

Also, I never read the originals and this has been bugging me since Donnie brought it up a few weeks ago. What's the difference between Youngblood and Team Youngblood? I didn't read much Image as a kid.

Lol it was literally just a copy of avengers and West coast avengers, or x-men blue and Gold kind of thing. I think one might have been in the governments pocket, more than the other? Best bet is you already read a marvel book from the 90s that they took it from.

They were an "elite team" assembled by Sentinel apparently. Perhaps it was an extra book to fill the awful delays on the main book? I like that it stuck with you haha

I've enjoyed the vast majority of Marvel's Star Wars books but I found Vader Down pretty mediocre. Overall I loved Gillen's run on Vader though. Hopefully Screaming Citadel starts well tomorrow.

My favourite moment from the new canon is probably Ahsoka and Vader's reunion. The aftermath of the Senate finding out Vader was Leia's father in Bloodline
(poor Ransolm)
and Thrawn's return are up there too.

I've enjoyed the vast majority of Marvel's Star Wars books but I found Vader Down pretty mediocre. Overall I loved Gillen's run on Vader though. Hopefully Screaming Citadel starts well tomorrow.

My favourite moment from the new canon is probably Ahsoka and Vader's reunion. The aftermath of the Senate finding out Vader was Leia's father in Bloodline
(poor Ransolm)

The bolded is up there for me.

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT I'VE BECOME?" Genuine heartbreaker.

tim1138

(poor Ransolm)

When did that happen? Ahsoka really grew on me over the course of Clone Wars and her final arc where she left the Jedi was so good.

Sandfox

Matthew Rosenberg tweeted that he had to turn down two dream come true projects this week for personal reasons. I wonder what they were.

When did that happen? Ahsoka really grew on me over the course of Clone Wars and her final arc where she left the Jedi was so good.
It was in the Rebels Season 2 finale, "Twilight of the Apprentice".

Ahsoka really grew on me as well. Her final Clone Wars arc is one of the franchise's high points.

Ross61

Can't say I agree at all but I respect it

TheFlow

Banned

that first arc was pretty dope, but I still think the first arc is my favorite only because of the Climax between Dick vs Raptor.

Fair enough though

Dipping my toes in on Valiant then.

X-O Manowar vol 1-3
Harbinger vol 1-3
Harbinger Wars

Everything I see tends to gloss over the first vol of Bloodshot, and emphasises these as the best from Act 1. Recommended to skip and look towards other things then? Havent looked at A&A yet!
You need to read Archer and Armstrong from Van Lente. Their best book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom