• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

One of them involves the allies using phenomenal cosmic power to alter reality while leaving things like the Holocaust in.

Ehh, I think it was made pretty clear the Allies didn't have that level of mastery of the Cube's power. Indeed, pretty much the only thing they seem to change was Cap's upbringing.

Penguin

Looks like Nightwing about to Scarlet Witch the DCU

No more superpowers

http://screenrant.com/nightwing-new-order-dc-comic/

NIGHTWING: THE NEW ORDER is the story of a future world without “weapons”—where superpowers have been eliminated and outlawed. The man responsible? None other than Dick Grayson, a.k.a. Nightwing, now leader of a government task force called the Crusaders who are charged with hunting the remaining Supers. But when events transpire which turn the Crusaders’ aim toward Grayson’s own family, the former Boy Wonder must turn against the very system he helped create, with help from the very people he’s been hunting for years—the last metahumans of the DC Universe.

Ehh, I think it was made pretty clear the Allies didn't have that level of mastery of the Cube's power. Indeed, pretty much the only thing they seem to change was Cap's upbringing.
Except its a cosmic cube. You can keep trying it until you get it right.

Again, it also speaks to Spencer's past positions.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I wouldnt be so sure that this is really exactly what happened in the history of the Marvel earth. I wouldnt trust facist regimes when it comes to history lessons in school, I expect a twist at some point of the story, that it turns out to be propaganda

But I see thats in the context of the whole events badly executed

Mindwipe

Except its a cosmic cube. You can keep trying it until you get it right.

That's... never been how a cube has been portrayed. Like ever. Cube's are pernicious things, especially if you don't know what the fuck you're doing.

By going back and changing Cap's past you undo the very circumstances in which you create/find the cube, so you can't do it again.

tim1138

This looks great! I've had a little look at it before, I was kind of holding off until volume 2 later in the year, but your mention of the gutter thing....I hadn't thought about that lol. Maybe I'll just read the web comic after all.

Did any of you guys ever watch the animated HB movies? They had Kate in them, which was pretty <3 I thought they were kid friendly though and I put one on for my boy when he was 6 or 7 ,and I came back in to a section of the movie that was adapting Heads, the story where HB is in Japan and he stays the night at the house with all the headless demons, and it was the exact moment the guy is telling the *funny* story about the farmer and his wife, which is actually hilariously dark but definitely not child appropriate. I literally ran to turn the tv off.

I actually got those movies for Christmas this year. I thought they were pretty decent.

Is it a mini? Can't check links at the time.

It's a troll. Well, that's what it feels like haha. It just mentions new series, starting in Aug from what I can see. McCarthy on pencils.

I actually got those movies for Christmas this year. I thought they were pretty decent.

Yea, I really like them actually. I'm honestly not a big fan of the two live action movies, but it's funny how much turning it into an animated thing makes a difference, because I think a lot of the same creatives were involved behind the scenes.

Just heard the Scalped show is probably shelved for now. Man.

Is that right? I could kind of feel it coming, there was a report recently that WGN had cancelled all of their original programming and that Scalped's pilot was really only happening because the deals had been done and budgeted basically. Seems like a bummer but honestly, this could be a Locke & Key situation. Scalped could be huge as a show on the right network, so maybe it's best it falls through for now. Although not sure if that means the rights will be in limbo for awhile until they expire.

Is that right? I could kind of feel it coming, there was a report recently that WGN had cancelled all of their original programming and that Scalped's pilot was really only happening because the deals had been done and budgeted basically. Seems like a bummer but honestly, this could be a Locke & Key situation. Scalped could be huge as a show on the right network, so maybe it's best it falls through for now. Although not sure if that means the rights will be in limbo for awhile but they expire.
Hopefully they'll shop it around.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Dipping my toes in on Valiant then.

X-O Manowar vol 1-3
Harbinger vol 1-3
Harbinger Wars

Everything I see tends to gloss over the first vol of Bloodshot, and emphasises these as the best from Act 1. Recommended to skip and look towards other things then? Havent looked at A&A yet!

Messi

We should have separate threads for Marvel, Dct, Image and Valiant so I don't have to see so much trash. Imma make an OT.

Dipping my toes in on Valiant then.

X-O Manowar vol 1-3
Harbinger vol 1-3
Harbinger Wars

Everything I see tends to gloss over the first vol of Bloodshot, and emphasises these as the best from Act 1. Recommended to skip and look towards other things then? Havent looked at A&A yet!

The first Bloodshot series is hit and miss. I would recommend skip it unless you have a burning desire to read more on the character. It ties into Harbinger Wars, but it doesn't contribute much worthwhile as it takes place before the event. Bloodshot Reborn is on another level though, but you don't need to read the first series to get on board with that; just The Valiant.

Make sure to sequence the Harbinger and Harbinger Wars issues (I think there's a guide on the back of the HW trade). Fair warning about Harbinger, the art is rough and inconsistent in certain places in the second volume, but it levels afterwards.

Archer & Armstrong's first series is some high-tier comics. It only ties into Bloodshot much later into the run, and I think the 4th or 5th trade includes those issues for you, so you don't even have to worry about that.

You can skip Shadowman, too.

We should have separate threads for Marvel, Dct, Image and Valiant so I don't have to see so much trash. Imma make an OT.

I agree. All this Marvel talk makes me sick.

The first Bloodshot series is hit and miss. I would recommend skip it unless you have a burning desire to read more on the character. It ties into Harbinger Wars, but it doesn't contribute much worthwhile as it takes place before the event. Bloodshot Reborn is on another level though, but you don't need to read the first series to get on board with that; just The Valiant.

Make sure to sequence the Harbinger and Harbinger Wars issues (I think there's a guide on the back of the HW trade). Fair warning about Harbinger, the art is rough and inconsistent in certain places in the second volume, but it levels afterwards.

Archer & Armstrong's first series is some high-tier comics. It only ties into Bloodshot much later into the run, and I think the 4th or 5th trade includes those issues for you, so you don't even have to worry about that.

You can skip Shadowman, too.

Awesome, cheers for that, should see me through act 1 then,my plan is basically to engage the best stuff of each act as I go. Where would you say the initial iteration of Eternal Warrior falls? I've been looking at that reddit reading order so I'll pull that up when I get to HW. I would have just grabbed the HC but it's so out of print I can't even find any overpriced eBay listings haha

Awesome, cheers for that, should see me through act 1 then,my plan is basically to engage the best stuff of each act as I go. Where would you say the initial iteration of Eternal Warrior falls? I've been looking at that reddit reading order so I'll pull that up when I get to HW. I would have just grabbed the HC but it's so out of print I can't even find any overpriced eBay listings haha

I'm not a fan of the Pak and Milligan EW stories. They're pretty bland. I believe they fall into different acts starting with the first one. The first volume shows some events that lead up to A&A Vol. 2, but it's wholly unnecessary reading. Venditti's run is excellent, but it's in Act 5.

Oh, and speaking of, if you want to get some background on The Valiant, A&A Vol 2 is that. It's not totally required (I'm pretty sure I read The Valiant first), but that's a loose kind of set-up of the Eternal Warrior's... eternal struggle lol. If you're going to follow the reading order, you'll hit that anyway.

As for the rest of Act 1, Quantum & Woody is some of the funniest comics I've ever read. It doesn't tie into anything though, so you can read it at your leisure. Act 2 and beyond, definitely get on Unity (which crosses over with XO) and Rai.

Sweet. Well assuming I enjoy all this stuff, looks like I'll kick things off with X-O, Harbinger and A&A. For act 2 and 3, I'll drop in Unity and Rai and maybe Dr Mirage? And then after The Valiant, it looks like the sky is limit, a ton of great stuff is there. I'll keep Quantum & Woody in mind. For the amount I need to get through, those will probably hit the back of the line for now. I get paid on Monday so I'll drop some bombs then.

I've been rereading the first few volumes of TMNT today. Still really love #5 where they reveal the new origin for Splinter & the Turtles, that's some really awesome stuff. TMNT is just a totally chill book to kick back and enjoy.

dan2026

1494348367243.jpg

There are many things about this image that confuse me.
But the biggest one, Doc Ock is an Avenger now?

Wow am I out of the loop.

Somethere out there there's a universe where the DC Comics Community Thread came to pass.

Can you imagine that world?
8f6.gif

Kyle Higgins > Tim Seeley

At least going by what I've read of the two recently.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is one of the absolute best cape comics out there right now, so I'm inclined to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom