• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

man remember when rick remender ended his marvel career with a panel that just had the word "futility" in big block letters

Finished reading The Fourth Power. It is such a great looking book! The fourth chapter was actually decently plotted. Not something I was expecting after the first three chapters...

man remember when rick remender ended his marvel career with a panel that just had the word "futility" in big block letters

It's Remender. You could replace all his dialogue with futility in big block letters and not lose much.

Messi

Hmmm what is Stjepan up to, I wonder. First the Harley preview a few days ago that he described as work even though he was at a con. Now this lovely image.

SB7b2V2_d.jpg

DC please. Let him do the Harleen mini. I'll love you forever and ever. It's all I want from you. If nothing else just collect the DeviantArt strips into an issue or OGN.

Hmmm what is Stjepan up to, I wonder. First the Harley preview a few days ago that he described as work even though he was at a con. Now this lovely image.

DC please. Let him do the Harleen mini. I'll love you forever and ever. It's all I want from you.

I'm pretty sure he's just trying to supply you with a healthy number of future avatars so you never go back to Halloween Olivia.

dan2026

DC please. Let him do the Harleen mini. I'll love you forever and ever. It's all I want from you. If nothing else just collect the DeviantArt strips into an issue or OGN.
That's a sweet Harley drawing.

The first arc in Bludhaven with the reformed villains. I even liked the first issue or two of this arc, but then it shifted to the main villain and seemed to heavily reference stuff I'm not aware of and by the end it feels like the set up of Shawn as a girlfriend and most of the development set up in those first issues is all just thrown away. Here's this one issue where we're throwing Shawn in as a love interest and we're going to speed it up and they're pretty serious, oh she got kidnapped and she isn't around for a couple issues and now false alarm and she said she needs some time. The two issues I liked centered around Dick/Damien and Dick/Shawn, then it shifted to the villain aspect and it completely lost me and it ended with seemingly negating the first two issues I actually liked.

Meh, sorry kind of rambly.

I love Nightwing, but I agree with everything you've said. Seeley is really good at writing the interpersonal parts, and just overall the character himself. But his stories leave something to be desired. I loved the callbacks to the Morrison run in this arc, but it felt more like shallow fan-service than anything meaningful. That said, I love his take on Dick and that alone makes it one of my favorite DC books.

I think the reason Grayson worked so well was because King was writing all the high-concept story matter and Seeley was writing Dick. Also explains both of the current Batman and Nightwing runs' problems.

Not even gonna lie, I'm kind of salty that (current issue spoilers)
Shawn isn't actually pregnant. It undermines the urgency of the arc.

Messi

Best Nightwing writer - Dixon
Worst - Grayson (ugh...that run)

Runner up - Tomasi

Grayson was the only Dick story I've enjoyed. Different strokes I suppose.

--

I read X-23 1-6 from the complete collection. I really enjoyed it. Fuck what those dudes did to Laura :(. The whole beginning is just cruel.

Grayson was the only Dick story I've enjoyed. Different strokes I suppose.

--

I read X-23 1-6 from the complete collection. I really enjoyed it. Fuck what those dudes did to Laura :(. The whole beginning is just cruel.
I'm talking about Devin Grayson's run on Nightwing. Not the Grayson series. Her run was really really bad

Bruce Jones Nightwing was also bad. But it was so short I forget it happened

Oh also... Low is weird. I like it (love the art) but also don't like it. I'm on the fence with it. Granted I haven't finished the first volume yet so maybe I'll be able to choose which side to land on once I'm done.

Messi

Oh also... Low is weird. I like it (love the art) but also don't like it. I'm on the fence with it. Granted I haven't finished the first volume yet so maybe I'll be able to choose which side to land on once I'm done.

That's just his style, it's kind of love it or hate it. But it doesn't change going forward. You will just get more used to it and how to read it and take it in.

My bad I thought you meant the art. That's usually the divisive part. The story is harsh uncomfortable reading a times. They live in a shit world.

error4041

Matthew Rosenberg tweeted that he had to turn down two dream come true projects this week for personal reasons. I wonder what they were.
That's a shame, I've greatly enjoyed just about everything he's written. hopefully his problems are resolved quickly and peacefully.

This reminds me that I need to pick up the rest of 4 Kids walk into a bank soon.

VanWinkle

This feels like fate.

I've been trying to mull over the perfect books to buy with my gift card balance on Amazon ($24.35) for weeks. I eventually just now settled on Vision Vol 1 and 2, since I'm tired of waiting for an OHC. I get to the checkout, and the total after tax for the books is THE EXACT AMOUNT I HAD LEFT ON THE GIFT CARD. I had to look at it like four times thinking, "is this right?" Bizarre.

doeV860.png

Started The Fade Out before bed tonight and it's very good

Right? It's definitely up there for the best thing he's done since he signed that Image contract. Need to finish up reading Velvet to fully judge that, but I liked The Fade Out more than Fatale & Killed or be killed is alright so far but not really blowing me away.

This feels like fate.

I've been trying to mull over the perfect books to buy with my gift card balance on Amazon ($24.35) for weeks. I eventually just now settled on Vision Vol 1 and 2, since I'm tired of waiting for an OHC. I get to the checkout, and the total after tax for the books is THE EXACT AMOUNT I HAD LEFT ON THE GIFT CARD. I had to look at it like four times thinking, "is this right?" Bizarre.

Well there's only one course of action then. Do it! Great two book series. I'd like to think Marvel will give you that OHC eventually but it's not on the cards for this year anyway :( maybe something they're judging with those director's cut issues.

Sandfox

X-Men Blue #3 is really good and it might be the best issue so far.

I'm really enjoying the current All-New Wolverine arc and I like that it's short coming off the previous arc.

The X-Men story in Renew Your Vows was strong and the next arc is going to be interesting.

arkon

I need to sell some of my comics to shore-up my wallet for the 3rd quarter beating it is going to take...

What have you got coming in that quarter?

I've got the Fourth World omnibus and JLI ommibus earmarked. I suppose that in itself is a decent chunk of change. Probably forgetting a few things too

Not even gonna lie, I'm kind of salty that (current issue spoilers)
Shawn isn't actually pregnant. It undermines the urgency of the arc.
It doesn't, though. Shawn was still in danger and he loves her, plus the enemy in question knows him intimately, which is always deadly. The life of the woman he loves, and his own identity, are both at stake. What the pregnancy brings into question is whether or not Dick wants to continue being Nightwing. If he wants to continue that life, something we saw at the beginning of the Blüdhaven arc. Then Damien is captured and put on the chopping block. The urgency is never lost at any point, even retroactively due to the pregnancy being a false positive.
image.gif

We should use this gif all the time we talk about Medusa
Let's not and then say we didn't.

Speaking of Dixon, has anybody read Bane Conquest #1 yet? I hope Dixon still has the skills.
It's pretty good. Just Bane and friends being scummy assholes.

Nah, his plot will continue in Metal, according to that interview. Tim will be thrilled.

Remember when Snyder said that last backup story was leading to a name reveal? Backup had no resolution and no name. I like Snyder's writing enough, but I'm kind of tired of hearing him say anything about his own writing.

It doesn't, though. Shawn was still in danger and he loves her, plus the enemy in question knows him intimately, which is always deadly. The life of the woman he loves, and his own identity, are both at stake. What the pregnancy brings into question is whether or not Dick wants to continue being Nightwing. If he wants to continue that life, something we saw at the beginning of the Blüdhaven arc. Then Damien is captured and put on the chopping block. The urgency is never lost at any point, even retroactively due to the pregnancy being a false positive.

Let's not and then say we didn't.

I disagree entirely.
I feel more the Shawn aspect was only put in so it would be the adverse to his thoughts with Damien. He had more of the emotional and questioning aspect from Damien and the pregnancy was just put in there so he could look at the difference from then and now. You get one whole issue of this love and then she gets kidnapped after a pregnancy scare and 4 issues later she isn't pregnant and she says get to stepping. She feels more like a plot device at that point.

Multiverity is on a constant upward trend for me. #1 felt a bit contextless. (Turns out I had to read everything DC from 1975). Society of Superheroes was fun and had a Tom Strong like feel to it. (Then I noticed who did the artwork...). The Just was an interesting take on the next generation and Pax Americana was great. (That opening sequence!!).

What have you got coming in that quarter?

I've got the Fourth World omnibus and JLI ommibus earmarked. I suppose that in itself is a decent chunk of change. Probably forgetting a few things too

Hmm. Might as well make a full list to keep track. Second half of 2016 -

Definites
-----------------------
Goon v5
Usagi Yojimbo Legends
Art of Edena (Still have to pick up World of Edena too)

Fourth World Omnibus
Absolute Authority v1
Newsboy Legion v2

Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu v2
Loki JiM Omnibus
Master of Kung-Fu v4
Thor Simonson Omnibus

Carl Barks Box Set (v9/v10)
Don Rosa Box Set (v7/v8)

Probables
------------------------
Doom Patrol Silver Age Omnibus