• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

Dipping my toes in on Valiant then.

X-O Manowar vol 1-3
Harbinger vol 1-3
Harbinger Wars

Everything I see tends to gloss over the first vol of Bloodshot, and emphasises these as the best from Act 1. Recommended to skip and look towards other things then? Havent looked at A&A yet!

If you carry on with X-O Manowar, bear in mind that Volume 5's collection is absolutely, absolutely stupid, and requires to you flip between it and Unity volume 1 with each issue or the crossover makes no narrative sense whatsoever, even by comics trade crossover standards.

Jessica Jones #8
Well that's weird.
I can't see how Jessica would be in a breach of global security. Not her fault someone sent a Hill LMD after her. At least Sharon's reasonable. Right. Anyway the last time we saw a Hill LMD getting used was by Hill as a decoy. Now one is being sent to kill JJ? Begs to question even further whether or not that was really Maria Hill in JJ's apartment to begin with. Overall I thought this issue was good, and surprisingly funny. The stoned rant about Spider-people was hilarious

Good issue, though the panel work during the rooftop chase was a bit confusing for me.

Hawkeye #6
Pretty good issue. Great action sequence, and I really liked the scenes with legitimate detective work. Thompson clearly has a knack for dialogue and expositional sequences, because there was a lot of exposition and dialogue and I enjoyed all of it. I also wanted to point out Kate's case map web board (I have no betyer name), as most of the things on the board have been referenced already, however there's one that piqued my interest:
the Madame Masque client list. Has this been referenced already and I missed it? Because otherwise I have a strong idea that this is going to be a focus pretty soon

Good issue. Sad to see Jess have to leave, though. I just like her so much.

Black Bolt #1
A FANTASTIC first issue. Exactly what I wanted from this book. Ahmed understands the character and does a great job of creating a very mind-bending and psychological situation. Ward's art does a great job elevating that vision. Fantastic. I'm loving wherever this goes.
I disagree entirely.
I feel more the Shawn aspect was only put in so it would be the adverse to his thoughts with Damien. He had more of the emotional and questioning aspect from Damien and the pregnancy was just put in there so he could look at the difference from then and now. You get one whole issue of this love and then she gets kidnapped after a pregnancy scare and 4 issues later she isn't pregnant and she says get to stepping. She feels more like a plot device at that point.
Nothing of what you said contradicts me on whether or not the story loses urgency. It's still a threat to Dick on a very personal level, as well as putting the life of people he holds very dear at a severe risk. And I disagree on Shawn being a plot device as well. There was a full issue building their relationship, and while this arc did focus on Dick and Damien, Shawn is still very much a character and will no doubt have her own character arc given the end of the issue. And while Damien did force Dick to really confront his identity issues, to act like Shawn's pregnancy and his potentially becoming a father played no role in that providing that same confrontation seems incredibly dismissive. I would argue that the kidnapping and pregnancy agitated the situation and Damien pushed it over the tipping point. Especially since Dick has been having these issues for awhile. At the very least since the beginning of Bludhaven.

Titans

I liked this enough, but feel like it does a bit of disservice to the Deathstroke story. Deathstroke seems a bit different and the last issue had a somewhat big breakthrough and wakes up completely 180 of that supposed turn.

Detective

Glad the spoiler for Button ended up pretty minor. Was kind of just meh on the issue and arc overall though.

Suicide Squad

God damn it feels good to have what feels like an actual full suicide squad book going. Waller don't give a fuck about a life!

Action Comics

Between this and Superman, I am fucking loving that all these Superman stories are coming together. Two great stories going right now between this and Superman.

Messi

Blink getting to be in the X-Men TV show. What a time to be alive. Someone's gonna be happy.

Tony Daniel is a great fit for Suicide Squad. Shame he is leaving after next issue.

If you carry on with X-O Manowar, bear in mind that Volume 5's collection is absolutely, absolutely stupid, and requires to you flip between it and Unity volume 1 with each issue or the crossover makes no narrative sense whatsoever, even by comics trade crossover standards.

haha okay. Looks like the X-) HC volume 2 has those issues in it, are Valiant clever enough to order the issues correct inside their HCs?

I thought it a bit soon to bring it up, but yeah lol

While the story for that, Harbinger Wars, and Armor Hunters were suitably epic with all the jumping from one issue to another, I'm glad Valiant has since relegated crossovers to mini-series. It works a lot better from an accessibility standpoint and any tie-ins are just one-shots you don't have to read to get the whole story.

haha okay. Looks like the X-) HC volume 2 has those issues in it, are Valiant clever enough to order the issues correct inside their HCs?

Pretty sure they did order them correctly, but I don't have the book in front of me right now

EDIT: Amazon confirms it's in order

I thought it a bit soon to bring it up, but yeah lol

While the story for that, Harbinger Wars, and Armor Hunters were suitably epic with all the jumping from one issue to another, I'm glad Valiant has since relegated crossovers to mini-series. It works a lot better from an accessibility standpoint and any tie-ins are just one-shots you don't have to read to get the whole story.

Pretty sure they did order them correctly, but I don't have the book in front of me right now

EDIT: Amazon confirms it's in order

Awesome, I might just go HC then, save the hassle.

Did a trailer drop? Didn't see a thread about it.

Full trailer after the weekend I think, just a 20 second trailer for trailer right now

Weeeeeeell. Whether I dig it or not, can't say I didn't give this Valiant stuff a fair shake. Ordered:

X-O Manowar Deluxe Edition Book 1 & 2
Harbinger Deluxe Edition Book 1 & 2
Unity vol. 2 (vol 1 exists within the X-O HCs)
Harbinger Wars paperback, Hc is OOP

That pretty much sees me through to the end of Act 2 bar A&A, which they only had for back order and thought I had enough to get a good solid dig in there.

Regression #1

This was a bit light on story for a first issue, but the gross out mixed with it being a pretty quick read made it interesting enough.

Had a real hard time not thinking of Phantasmagoria: Puzzle of Flesh though.

Awesome, I might just go HC then, save the hassle.

Full trailer after the weekend I think, just a 20 second trailer for trailer right now

Word of advice if you're going the OHC route. There are two redundant OHCs in Valiant's library - Harbinger Wars OHC and XO Manowar OHC Vol 3. It's up to you if, for collection's sake, whether you buy them, but Harbinger Wars OHC reprints issues contained in Harbinger OHC Vol 1 and Bloodshot OHC Vol 1. It only contains 4 new issues. XO Manowar OHC Vol 3 reprints all the XO issues already contained in the Armor Hunters OHC, yet you still need the Armor Hunter issues to understand what the heck is going on, so its existence is completely stupid.

I'm buying them just for collection's sake, but it's a real bone-headed move.

Weeeeeeell. Whether I dig it or not, can't say I didn't give this Valiant stuff a fair shake. Ordered:

X-O Manowar Deluxe Edition Book 1 & 2
Harbinger Deluxe Edition Book 1 & 2
Unity vol. 2 (vol 1 exists within the X-O HCs)
Harbinger Wars paperback, Hc is OOP

That pretty much sees me through to the end of Act 2 bar A&A, which they only had for back order and thought I had enough to get a good solid dig in there.

That's a good list. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Word of advice if you're going the OHC route. There are two redundant OHCs in Valiant's library - Harbinger Wars OHC and XO Manowar OHC Vol 3. It's up to you if, for collection's sake, whether you buy them, but Harbinger Wars OHC reprints issues contained in Harbinger OHC Vol 1 and Bloodshot OHC Vol 1. It only contains 4 new issues. XO Manowar OHC Vol 3 reprints all the XO issues already contained in the Armor Hunters OHC, yet you still need the Armor Hunter issues to understand what the heck is going on, so its existence is completely stupid.

I'm buying them just for collection's sake, but it's a real bone-headed move.

That's a good list. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Cool, well thanks for all the good advice, that goes for everyone else that chimed in too. I'll admit, I had caught that about the HW OHC but I was honestly thinking "well, I've went OHC now..." but lack of availability saved me on that one. I'll keep it in mind for Armor Hunters though, I might just do the same I've done here and do the OHC for X-O but the paperback for Armor Hunters, come back later if I get so into them I want all the OHCs. I would have looked at the Unity OHC but seems like they tapped out early on that one, no Deluxe volume 2 since 2015?

Cool, well thanks for all the good advice, that goes for everyone else that chimed in too. I'll admit, I had caught that about the HW OHC but I was honestly thinking "well, I've went OHC now..." but lack of availability saved me on that one. I'll keep it in mind for Armor Hunters though, I might just do the same I've done here and do the OHC for X-O but the paperback for Armor Hunters, come back later if I get so into them I want all the OHCs. I would have looked at the Unity OHC but seems like they tapped out early on that one, no Deluxe volume 2 since 2015?

Er, actually, I made a mistake. XO OHC 3 contains the Armor Hunters issues, also. It just doesn't contain the extra tie-in stuff from Unity, Harbinger, and Bloodshot. If you don't mind that, you could do either of them.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the second Unity and Shadowman books got off to. The Shadowman one has been solicited since early 2016, but it kept getting pushed back and now it doesn't have a release date anymore. The second half of Unity has some really good arcs, too :/

I'm suprised to read a few positive reviews of Bane conquest on here, I really thought it was a pretty bad issue. Art looked very shaky and story just seemed a bit dull (I know its still building up and all but still)

Quick questions guys/gals, if I've only read the first few issues of titans and deathstroke, will I be completely lost starting Lazarus contract? I plan on catching up on both by trade soon (teen titans not so much) but have been getting the DC mini events, JL vs SS, The Button etc by single issues.

Managed to get a few FCBD issues I was after from my usual ebay shop this week with only postage costs, couldn't go on the actual day as already had tickets for big football game for my local area and no shops that close to me. I know, I know football over comics, take away my geek pass now. Got the Marvel issue and Bad Machinery.

Quick questions guys/gals, if I've only read the first few issues of titans and deathstroke, will I be completely lost starting Lazarus contract? I plan on catching up on both by trade soon (teen titans not so much) but have been getting the DC mini events, JL vs SS, The Button etc by single issues.

Little hard to answer after the first issue. The first issue almost makes it seem like it references more the first Lazarus Contract, but both Deathstroke and Titans have had little bits in them that could end up being very important to it.

You'd be lost on where it starts, but that's mostly it as far as the first issue goes. But it could get a lot more confusing with stuff that's been hinted at.

Little hard to answer after the first issue. The first issue almost makes it seem like it references more the first Lazarus Contract, but both Deathstroke and Titans have had little bits in them that could end up being very important to it.

You'd be lost on where it starts, but that's mostly it as far as the first issue goes. But it could get a lot more confusing with stuff that's been hinted at.

Thanks, well I know the original Judas Contract, the rest I guess I'll just have to catch up on the Titans and Deathstroke trades available sooner rather than later

Sombody here better buy that Liefeld Deadpool OGN and posts some screens. I need to see how "great" the art will be before thinking about getting it.

I'm pretty happy comics can be both escapism and a direct response to politics. Both are needed imo

Read Darth Vader up through Vader Down last night. Really enjoyed the series at least to this point.

Larroca's art is fucking stiff as all hell so don't look for anything that might resemble motion here. However, he's pretty good at drawing backgrounds and mechanical things so it's not all bad even if you get caught off guard when it looks like he's tracing movie stills.

I thought a very strong point of the series is the dialogue. I've never watched any of the original trilogy or really much of any of the movies except for TFA so I can't say if the 'voices' of the characters are 'on brand' but they seem good to me.

Anyway, good comics are cool but why can't marvel just have a better artist than Larroca on one of their highest sellers?

Go get Daniel Warren Johnson you fools

Messi

I'm pretty happy comics can be both escapism and a direct response to politics. Both are needed imo

Read Darth Vader up through Vader Down last night. Really enjoyed the series at least to this point.

Larroca's art is fucking stiff as all hell so don't look for anything that might resemble motion here. However, he's pretty good at drawing backgrounds and mechanical things so it's not all bad even if you get caught off guard when it looks like he's tracing movie stills.

I thought a very strong point of the series is the dialogue. I've never watched any of the original trilogy or really much of any of the movies except for TFA so I can't say if the 'voices' of the characters are 'on brand' but they seem good to me.

Anyway, good comics are cool but why can't marvel just have a better artist than Larroca on one of their highest sellers?

Johnson needs to be on a Vader book like yesterday

tim1138

I say this every month, but as soon as he's done working on Green Lantern/Planet of the Apes, DC needs to get Bagenda in the rotation for one of the GL books. Or take one monthly and have him as the regular artist.

Oh yes.........
ssWaZgd.jpg
OH YES
I already feel dirty looking at it.

Hnnng, looking forward to the YA trades dropping. Got g to hold off til the end of July and get all 4 vol 1s at once.

If your UK based Gerard Way's coming to thought bubble con in Leeds to get any stuff signed in September.

Don't know if you actually are UK based, you just seem to post a lot at Uk times ha

Vader's a bit talky but other than that I'd agree with you on the dialogue. It must be quite difficult writing a book where we never really get a look inside the main protagonist's head, though Gillen experiments with some other methods to good effect.

dan2026

The fuck is wrong with you people!?

America is cooler than Spiderman, Iron man, Thor and Thanos fused together.

Your primitive 3d brains can't comprehend the sublime brilliance of America's next level story telling.

If your UK based Gerard Way's coming to thought bubble con in Leeds to get any stuff signed in September.

Don't know if you actually are UK based, you just seem to post a lot at Uk times ha

I am indeed man, although up in Scotland. Unfortunately my commitments make it pretty hard to get away for the weekend right now, I couldn't even get over to Edinburgh for the day a few weeks back to see James Harren. That sounds awesome though, are you thinking about going?

ElNarez

Banned
Why.... Just have be the equivalent to latina/hispanic in her universe what does this do

Technically there are none, because she's from the utopian parallel, and they're so advanced they've realized that nations as a concept is kinda bullshit, making questions of heritage really fucking weird when mapped to a world like ours, where they very much matter. It's a can of worms that very much didn't need to be opened, especially when America is a cool enough character to make "she just is" a viable explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom