• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

dh4niel

Just finished reading FCBD Secret Empire and the back up story of Chip Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man is on point. Really looking forward to it in June.

Also slightly off topic, does anyone know any online places to buy action figures that ship to the UK? A lot of US sites want me to pay out the ass for shipping and the majority of sellers on Amazon are just as bad.

frye

Holy shit

Listen to this podcast posted yesterday about an hour in

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com

I didn't know this but apparently Frank Miller had issues with the way Klaus Jason inked TDK so he would redo inks often. Supposedly Todd McFarlane also inked part of TDK as an assistant?!?

Pretty crazy. Had never heard of this

Whoa so there's basically no page that Miller didn't have his hands on for inks? There's parts of the story that I think have circulated before (Miller getting the original pages from 1&4 while Janson got 2&3, Miller having huge problems with Janson's inks because he using assistants) but I had no idea that he just straight up redrew the pages he got back from Janson. Janson being DC idea's surprising to me too, I had always figured it was Frank's idea, but seeing as how he seemed to want to ink himself after that initial Daredevil run I suppose it makes a bit of sense?

Just finished reading FCBD Secret Empire and the back up story of Chip Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man is on point. Really looking forward to it in June.

Also slightly off topic, does anyone know any online places to buy action figures that ship to the UK? A lot of US sites want me to pay out the ass for shipping and the majority of sellers on Amazon are just as bad.

I've used Star Action Figures before and their service was good. Their prices aren't always the best but they usually have more of a selection than Amazon//Smyths.

Whoa so there's basically no page that Miller didn't have his hands on for inks? There's parts of the story that I think have circulated before (Miller getting the original pages from 1&4 while Janson got 2&3, Miller having huge problems with Janson's inks because he using assistants) but I had no idea that he just straight up redrew the pages he got back from Janson. Janson being DC idea's surprising to me too, I had always figured it was Frank's idea, but seeing as how he seemed to want to ink himself after that initial Daredevil run I suppose it makes a bit of sense?
Yeah I guess it's hard to tell exactly who did what but here is an example
Miller reined the batman panels here
https://twitter.com/FelixComicArt/status/862317169786241024
And this is a Janson inked version of a page
https://twitter.com/FelixComicArt/status/862320552207302656

Really hope this isn't true:

So...we suddenly know a lot about Marvel Legacy from Marvel writers "leaking" their own titles. And it's a lot of good news if you're happy with current Marvel, but a whole lot of bad if you're not. Marvel Legacy seems to be more of the same of what we have now.

Iron Man - will still be written by Brian Michael Bendis. Bendis confirmed this on the current Word Balloon podcast, saying that the title will soon revert to the #600 legacy numbering.

Miles Morales/Spider-Man - will still be written by Brian Michael Bendis. He didn't give a number, but he said they're working on adding up all of his Spider-Man issues to see what milestone he's close to.

Daredevil - will still be written by Charles Soule. When asked on Twitter about Legacy, Soule said he's writing a Daredevil Legacy issue now. When asked if he'll be on the title for at least the next 12 issues, Soule said "Definitely."

Captain America - This one is less concrete, but Nick Spencer definitively said that he would still be writing Steve Rogers post-Secret Empire, which seems a good indication that he would remain the Cap writer in Legacy.

Amazing Spider-Man by Dan Slott (still). In another Word Balloon podcast recently, Slott talked a lot about his long term plans for the title and how Superior Octopus sets up future stories. Seems a pretty clear indication that Slott's time on the book is not close to ending.

Speculation - Jason Aaron and Gerry Duggan have given no indication they plan to leave Thor and Deadpool anytime soon, and it would surprise me if they did.

X-Men and Guardians just recently relaunched, no way that's changing up in October.

So. It suddenly looks like "Legacy" isn't the answer to "Rebirth" at all, but rather a fresh coat of paint on the same thing. Thoughts?

Next OT to be titled It's Not A Rebirth And It Never Was? Just Another Relaunch?

Spencer staying on Cap? That's the not the news some people want to hear.

In fact this is the exact opposite I keep hearing from comic retailers who were excited Marvel was gonna go "back to basics". This doesn't sound like that at all.

Why would relaunching all these books with different writers be a good thing?
You don't need to switch all the authors, but considering how unhappy people are with a a lot of those titles, a shakeup would've definitely fallen under Good News. Unless you actually like them as they are, as specified in the article.

arkon

Hmm. Might as well make a full list to keep track. Second half of 2016 -

Definites
-----------------------
Goon v5
Usagi Yojimbo Legends
Art of Edena (Still have to pick up World of Edena too)

Fourth World Omnibus
Absolute Authority v1
Newsboy Legion v2

Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu v2
Loki JiM Omnibus
Master of Kung-Fu v4
Thor Simonson Omnibus

Carl Barks Box Set (v9/v10)
Don Rosa Box Set (v7/v8)

Probables
------------------------
Doom Patrol Silver Age Omnibus
Adam Strange Silver Age Omnibus
JLI Omnibus v1
Planet Hulk Omnibus
Kirb's Monsterbu v1,v2

Okay. Yeah. A lot more than I remembered. I've got 6 from your definites list and 1 from your probables list. Plus I just remembered Hellboy in Hell Library edition. I think I need to go through the solicits and catalogs properly so I'm not missing anything.

Sandfox

You don't need to switch all the authors, but considering how unhappy people are with a a lot of those titles, a shakeup would've definitely fallen under Good News. Unless you actually like them as they are, as specified in the article.

That's not an article, it's some random dude on reddit.

The main issue that people have now with Marvel's flagship books is that they are unrecognizable moreso than the writers. Marvel needs to take a page from Rebirth in that regard and put them back in their traditional roles and in stories that fit those roles.

Okay. Yeah. A lot more than I remembered. I've got 6 from your definites list and 1 from your probables list. Plus I just remembered Hellboy in Hell Library edition. I think I need to go through the solicits and catalogs properly so I'm not missing anything.

Oh shit, I forgot about that. There are the BPRD Hell on Earth omnibuses too. v1 should be this year.

Ugh Bendis, Slott and Spencer.

The trifecta of meh.
With Spencer being the best of the three.

But holy hell Marvel will you please get Slott off Spider-Man?
It's beyond insanity at this point.
Hey, at least Waid is probably gone to Archie so we'll get new Avengers writers.

Which series follows 616 Thor after the pre Secret Wars/Jane Thor God of Thunder series?

Is it easy to tell once I get deeper into the books? Because I have no clue going in.

Are there any events I need to read during the run aside from Original Sin?

He pops up in Mighty Thor, and has his own miniseries, The Unworthy Thor, which I personally thought was fantastic.

Hey, at least Waid is probably gone to Archie so we'll get new Avengers writers.

Would it be too much for Duggan to write a main Avengers book and Guardians? Because after reading Uncanny, he's my pick.

It feels like it might be Aaron since he is writing the big Legacy launch special. That would be rad as well but I kinda want him to stay on Thor as long as possible.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Tons of other Spider-Man writers have been very successful on the title.
But they didn't go on for so looooooooong.

I am fucking fed up with it.
I want to start liking Spider-Man again.
I am on your side, I hope I can get my fix with Spectacular Spider-Man but I can completly understand, that they dont want to mix things up with the only book that sells.

I am on your side, I hope I can get my fix with Spectacular Spider-Man but I can completly understand, that they dont want to mix things up with the only book that sells.

It's why I keep begging people to stop buying Justice League. I die a little every time I see it in the top 10.

Really, they should do a Rebirth and have Slott do a monthly Spidey series for a year and then coming back if sales collapse under the new writer.

Sandfox

Waid is fine on Avengers with the write roster and better fitting artist. He's better at writing the classic members than the ones on the current team.

Next OT to be titled It's Not A Rebirth And It Never Was? Just Another Relaunch?
I like how you tweeted this at Ryan Higgins so he could rant or something only for him to swerve and say that he's happy with what he's been shown.

I am fucking fed up with it.
I want to start liking Spider-Man again.
If the book goes the direction I'm expecting it to the book will probably be more enjoyable(for me at least) post-Legacy because it will be addressing the complaints I have had with the book.

There's plenty of book options for Peter right now though if you aren't happy with Slott.

I like how you tweeted this at Ryan Higgins so he could rant or something only for him to swerve and say that he's happy with what he's been shown.

Ryan's been pretty clear what he wants from Marvel and none of it has really been about quality of the books. He's basically said he's wanted less titles, focus on the core of Marvel and FF back. Or something along those lines.

Slott said on a Word Balloon interview that he had spoken with more than one legendary Spidey writer from the past who had given him variations on the advice "don't leave until you're sure you're done, because they don't invite you back".

It would be funny if nothing changes and he's still happy with Marvel. It's like somebody told all the retailers it would be like Rebirth and they all threw out their Marvel hate. Everything is back to basics, but it's not back to basics, but we the illusion that it's back to basics, except the illusion isn't subtle.

jph139

I mean, that sounds good to me?

Like, Bendis on Iron Man and Slott on Spider-Man are creatively mixed bags but sell like gangbusters, and both authors have enough away at Marvel to go where they want. Was never realistic to imagine Slott off of ASM.

But more Soule Daredevil, more Aaron Thor, more Spencer Cap, more Duggan Deadpool? Those are all good runs and have been pretty well received. Why would we want them killed for another soft reboot? That's the one thing Marvel keeps getting shit for.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

I am, yes. They're putting out more books I like than I can afford to keep up with, so I have to put things off for sales.

Well that's good then.

I'm down to:

Squirrel Girl
Thor
Ms. Marvel
Silver Surfer
Miles-Man

For Miles, it's mostly just because I've been buying Ultimate Spider-Man since forever. I'm considering moving over to buying the trades because basically nothing happens in a single issue.

Silver Surfer came out really irregularly there for a while, I was surprised to see a new one today.

But if the creative teams on any of the others change then I'm out.

Sandfox

Ryan's been pretty clear what he wants from Marvel and none of it has really been about quality of the books. He's basically said he's wanted less titles, focus on the core of Marvel and FF back. Or something along those lines.
That tweet was about the stories though lol.

I mostly agree with what Higgins says that Marvel should do, though I think he's too focused on the classic stuff at times.

It would be funny if nothing changes and he's still happy with Marvel. It's like somebody told all the retailers it would be like Rebirth and they all threw out their Marvel hate. Everything is back to basics, but it's not back to basics, but we the illusion that it's back to basics, except the illusion isn't subtle.
Marvel has shown the retailers stuff that we don't know about yet outside of some leaks like the return of Tony and the fall of Parker Industries

Marvel has been doing the things they promised with Ressurxion whether one is fan of the books or not, so hopefully they can deliver on the promises they are making with Legacy.

I'm still a little bothered with how America became who she is. Idk if it's maybe a little offensive or I'm not understanding something. It doesn't feel right. I'm not saying the writer needs to get blown up about it but I want to know if there are other people who feel this.

That tweet was about the stories though lol.

I mostly agree with what Higgins says that Marvel should do, though I think he's too focused on the classic stuff at times.

I didn't see the actual tweet, the way it was posted made it seem like he was tweeted that list and responded he likes what he has been shown. What he's shown doesn't necessarily have to correlate with that list I was just meaning I expect Ryan to be happy if it mostly just involves those three criteria.

Well that's good then.

I'm down to:

Squirrel Girl
Thor
Ms. Marvel
Silver Surfer
Miles-Man

For Miles, it's mostly just because I've been buying Ultimate Spider-Man since forever. I'm considering moving over to buying the trades because basically nothing happens in a single issue.
I'll read anything by Aaron and Slott, and I'm following this Spencer thing through to the end.

Also love Ms. Marvel, the new Guardians series that just started, the new Rocket series by Ewing, that Kate Hawkeye book, and probably more stuff I can't think of. Like I've sampled Black Panther and Black Bolt, but most of what I read I get on sale. Both for financial reasons and because I have a really bad memory and it's easy for me to read things when they're done. I want to read that Jean Grey book because I love Hopeless, but I want to finish the Bendis X-Men runs out first, then read the Hopeless X-Men stuff, then probably read X-Men: Blue and Jean Grey years from now.

So I don't keep up, but I'm into as many things as I want from a publisher like Marvel. I mean, I only just read that Warren Ellis Karnak book like two weeks ago.

dan2026

I think Aaron might be the only writer at Marvel that I still follow.

Everyone else has gone.
Or been driven out.

I think Spencer has done good stuff. I just don't like his Cap stuff at all.

shingi70

Banned
Not that I like him that much, but it's intresting how much the comics community has turned around on Spencer. He was the 2nd coming a fee years ago during his first Ant-man run, and now he's on top he's reviled.

VanWinkle

Finished the Vision #3 by King. Man, it's so interesting. These people feel so firmly out of place. The Vision most wants the family to fit into "normal" society, and the pieces are just falling apart. Virginia seems to be struggling so much with a robotic nature that conflicts with her inner emotions and memories, all the while trying to maintain a secret that looms beneath the quiet suburbs and now threatens to erupt.

The tone of the book is best exemplified by the dry omniscient narration. That, combined with the bizarre conversation style between the Visions make for one odd book. I love it so far.

Edit: Holy crap at issue 4. That was intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom