• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

Superior is one of the most egregious examples of "undercooking" an idea for a major comic book.

There was so much potential but it turned out to be Slott screaming at us that "nothing will ever be the same after this!" and every other character in the book taking stupid pills.
I would say the story was fully cooked for it's length. Every arc built towards a strong conclusion.

The story showed that Otto was capable of achieving things that were never thought possible for Peter and doing things he would never be capable of doing like killing. Then Slott turns the story on it's head and shows that Peter doesn't have or do those things because he is the Superior Spider-Man. There's something special about Peter where he's willing to make sacrifices that Otto wasn't whether it was due to logic or ego and that was something he would never be able to copy.

Messi

While we're talking about titles on hiatus, has anyone heard anything about the next part of Sheriff of Babylon? Tom still mentions it on Twitter occasionally, so I assume it's still happening. Though obviously Batman is way more popular so I can see why he'd put more energy into that.

It's more about Gerads being one person and also him working on Batman and such.

mreddie

Okay, so some of the same teams when DC did Rebirth stuck around and yet somehow, Marvel really isn't doing anything with theirs?

I assume the pieces are already there but Legacy is really sounding like All New 2.0.

Slott needs to go away from Spidey, ENOUGH.

Bendis on Spidey-Iron Man still, I have no issue with since Bendis is reaching year 3 but year 2 has been with no Tony.

Aaron with Thor, I can't see him leaving, dude has made that book work.

Spencer America still? So after the big event, he's still gonna do it?

Huh.

Sandfox

Okay, so some of the same teams when DC did Rebirth stuck around and yet somehow, Marvel really isn't doing anything with theirs?

I assume the pieces are already there but Legacy is really sounding like All New 2.0.

Bendis on Spidey-Iron Man still, I have no issue with since Bendis is reaching year 3 but year 2 has been with no Tony.

Huh.
I'm expecting Aaron to leave Thor in favor of something else and I could see Spencer going either way.

The thing with ANAD and Now 2016 were that they had no direction in addition to certain other issues like unfamiliarity, so Marvel needs to get everyone on the same page with one clear idea of what Legacy is supposed to be.

mreddie

I'm expecting Aaron to leave Thor in favor of something else and I could see Spencer going either way.

The thing with ANAD and Now 2016 were that they had no direction in addition to certain other issues like unfamiliarity, so Marvel needs to get everyone on the same page with one clear idea of what Legacy is supposed to be.

That's the issue, there's no Johns.

I would say Hickman led the ship back in Now 1 but I fucking doubt that.

The Lazarus Contract 1 was.....whatever.

That's why this should have been a self-contained event in Deathstroke only written by Priest and with no inconsistent Booth art.

Sandfox

That's the issue, there's no Johns.

I would say Hickman led the ship back in Now 1 but I fucking doubt that.
I'm curious as to how Marvel is handling that stuff. They brought Joe Quesada in to help introduce Legacy and do art, so he probably has a part in it, and Aaron is the one setting everything up so he obviously has a part as well. Marvel has people who know their characters thoughout the company, but we need to see if they utilize those people and they haven't given people reason to trust them.

The thing that makes me sad about the idea of Spencer going forward on Cap is that my favorite segment of Spencer's run so far was the time from the launch of Sam Wilson to the end of Standoff. And nobody reads that Sam book, so I doubt Sam still has a book after Secret Empire.

Assuming Sam having a book after Secret Empire was ever in Spencer's plan in the first place. But it would suck to not have a Sam book either way.

shingi70

Banned
Just came from a visit to my LCS with my girlfriend. She picked up the first five issues of Gotham Acadmey second semester, and some Mickingbird issues.

I'm a digital guy but I copped Bug, and from the back issue rack I picked up all 13 issues of the 90s Black Lghtning series, and all four issues of Cosmic Odyessy.

Thiink were going to make this a Montly thing.

tim1138

Just came from a visit to my LCS with my girlfriend. She picked up the first five issues of Gotham Acadmey second semester, and some Mickingbird issues.

I'm a digital guy but I copped Bug, and from the back issue rack I picked up all 13 issues of the 90s Black Lghtning series, and all four issues of Cosmic Odyessy.

Read Cosmic Odyssey before Bug

The thing is, Rebirth only changed the teams around unless they were high selling books like Harley or Batman, they added some writers but I don't remember any DC people jumping ship which is fucking telling.

But there were also enough changes in what these books were going to be about, and those writers that stayed were given a new focus. No doubt this is likely because of Johns.

The Lazarus Contract 1 was.....whatever.

That's why this should have been a self-contained event in Deathstroke only written by Priest and with no inconsistent Booth art.

I enjoyed it a lot.

shingi70

Banned
Talent at DC stayed but the titles were either shook up or they were allowed new directions. Now some things stayed the same like Abnett on Aquaman and Vendetti on Lanterm, but even those got fresh eyes. Well in the case of Abnett he only did five issues of new 52 Aquaman which is a prelude to his Reburth run.

Even Green Arrow kept the same writer but the book improved tremendously.

That's great, hopefully your gf sticks with them. I managed to get my partner on some stuff for a year or so, Azzarello's WW, Gotham Academy, a few others but she feel off them pretty hard </3 she still hasn't read Legend Of WW :mad:

Multiversity Thunderworld Adventures was pretty good fun and I really liked how the Guidebook was framed and "narrated". Some Earths I knew (New Frontier, Kingdom Come, Earth 2, Earth 3) and some I heard about (Superman Red Son). Most other, no clue. -_-

Multiversity Thunderworld Adventures was pretty good fun and I really liked how the Guidebook was framed and "narrated". Some Earths I knew (New Frontier, Kingdom Come, Earth 2, Earth 3) and some I heard about (Superman Red Son). Most other, no clue. -_-

Pretty sure a ton of those other Earths were pulled directly from Grant Morrison's ass. But some of them were awesome. Multiversity as a whole was brilliant.

Huh.

Marvel doesn't need creative shakeups, they need stability. Why would they let Slott leave Spider-man, considering the book is one of the few that has stable sales? The books are good, but a combination of Marvel Unlimited and constant rebooting have cooled fans.

Lots of the books are strong, just nobody reads them. Like I know people were bitching about too many Guardian books, but they were all shockingly good: Perlman's Gamora, Zdarsky's Starlord, Rosenberg's Racoon. They weren't even knocked off course by useless crossovers, but the damage had been done. Who knew if the book was going to get rebooted or shook by Secret Empire, because the life of a B-tier Marvel book is so unpredictable. Best wait it out, but then the books die.

Legacy should be as 12-month event and sold as such...the trick is, it's not really an event, but a banner to signify a new direction. Guarantee 12 issues that aren't interrupted by crossovers and done by the same art/writer team, no subs. Not sure it would help, but it's a start in signalling stability to readers.

Pretty sure a ton of those other Earths were pulled directly from Grant Morrison's ass. But some of them were awesome. Multiversity as a whole was brilliant.

Yea, there were some interesting glimpses. I want to know more about the Themyscira Earth, the Earth where Captain America Superman is a Nazi, the Cartoon Physics Earth, The Waterworld Earth and the steam-punk and Victorian Earths.

TheFlow

Banned
I am fine with Bendis on Spider-man, jessica, and cage.

I want Marvel to do a Rebirth level change, but can replace the writers, and where would previous writers go. Lemire leaving, Coates staying on one book, Jason doing his Thor thing, Bendis having control of whatever he wants.

EdIT: sure we have some great titles carrying over, but the line overall is weak as fuck.

Saw this article about a BPRD spinoff to GDT's Hellboy movies, centering around Abe that they tried to get off the ground a few times

Click

It's interesting to read this stuff and imagine what may have been. The focus on Nuada though, and the return of Agent Myers though...well we've moved on now and that's fine.

Have you all actually found a Rebirth series you would rank up there with your favourite series from New 52 or Marvel Now/2.0? Granted I am only 8 series in but it has been rather disappointing for me.

Have you all actually found a Rebirth series you would rank up there with your favourite series from New 52 or Marvel Now/2.0? Granted I am only 8 series in but it has been rather disappointing for me.
Tom King's Batman, Tomasi/Gleason's Superman, and Super Sons.

Guardians don't need solos regardless of whether or not they are good.
I don't want to live in a world without this new Al Ewing Rocket book. Even if it gets canned in three issues.

I read this quickly and thought I read Gotham central and was very impressed. Still impressed with Gotham Academy. But Gotham central....one of the greats

TheFlow

Banned

rebirth wise from the first wave.

green arrow

nightwing

superman

detective

new super-man

teen titans post first arc>that one marvel teen title with cyclops, miles, and Khan.

I don't know if I really love anything from Rebirth (Wonder Woman probably?), but I didn't really care for much from New 52 till DCYou honestly. Marvel Now 2011 was the strongest relaunch thing Marvel has done though, it was very good for the most part.

For DC right now, I mainly enjoy the imprints which I love. Doom Patrol, Flintstones, Shade, Wildstorm, etc. are all excellent comics.

Detective Comics
Nightwing
Superman
Deathstroke
Hal Jordan
Batman

The Button has already been better than any crossover in either of those lines you mentioned lol

shingi70

Banned

Green Arrow
Superman
Aquaman
Green Lanterns
Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye

Messi

Low Deluxe Hardcover art by Tocchini. Breathtaking.

C_fB6UHXUAAcvnt

And Low variant by Matteo Scalera also stunning

VanWinkle

Vision Vol. 1 was glorious. Incredible writing, and the art fits the eerie tone between the family friendly suburbs and the dark and sometimes twisted moments and subject matter that happen within them. It also ended in a way that made me want Vol. 2 RIGHT NOW. Holy crap did it get DARK. But, alas, I have to wait until Friday to get it.

Tom King has to be one of my favorite writers. I confess I didn't like the three or four issues of Batman I read when they came out, but I think a big part of it may have been that I was expecting something different. I'm excited to give it another shot when the deluxe edition comes out.

Messi

Vision Vol. 1 was glorious. Incredible writing, and the art fits the eerie tone between the family friendly suburbs and the dark and sometimes twisted moments and subject matter that happen within them. It also ended in a way that made me want Vol. 2 RIGHT NOW. Holy crap did it get DARK. But, alas, I have to wait until Friday to get it.

Tom King has to be one of my favorite writers. I confess I didn't like the three or four issues of Batman I read when they came out, but I think a big part of it may have been that I was expecting something different. I'm excited to give it another shot when the deluxe edition comes out.

A big part of it might be that it is crap...

Have you read Omega Men also? I think that expectation can help a little but I don't think it can help I am Suicide. I've loved the run, but I am Suicide still feels like such an anti climactic blueballs kind of situation.

A big part of it might be that it is crap...

I can see it not being for everyone but "crap" is so ridiculous lol I am Gotham was a slow start but had an amazing finish, Suicide had so much build and a completely boring dumb ending, but I am Bane was pretty amazing from the first issue.

King's Batman is fascinating in the way it changes so much from issue to issue. Even within the context of the same arc, you'll have a completely different approach to storytelling. He'll change the framing device or the point of view or just have an issue that's all action with narration over it that has nothing to do with what we're seeing in the art. It's not just one of the best books going, it's one of the best suited to the serialized format. It reads best in its original form, the periodical. This forum is the only place I've seen people who don't love that run.

Yeah, I don't really get the shock that Marvel isn't shuffling creative teams for Legacy. Isn't the whole point supposed to be "lets go back to classic story telling without events constantly derailing runs."

Like I dunno, the only titles I'm surprised by is Bendis sticking with Iron Man and Spencer with Captain America. But again, neither of the runs were bad either up until now either, so I'm not exactly complaining about it.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
King's Batman is weird. I like parts of it, and I don't really like other parts of it. I think I mostly like it, but I'm not sure.

I think the beginning was the roughest bit.

The whole Gotham Man/Gotham Girl thing never really did anything interesting for me, but the Catwoman stuff and then the Bane is going to be naked, but don't worry a shadow is going to cover his ding dong for 5 issues ark was pretty good too.

VanWinkle

Have you read Omega Men also? I think that expectation can help a little but I don't think it can help I am Suicide. I've loved the run, but I am Suicide still feels like such an anti climactic blueballs kind of situation.

Omega Men is one of my favorite books ever.

I'm starting to think King might just be better equipped to deal with off the wall concepts rather than more traditional cape comics.

Messi

King's Batman is fascinating in the way it changes so much from issue to issue. Even within the context of the same arc, you'll have a completely different approach to storytelling. He'll change the framing device or the point of view or just have an issue that's all action with narration over it that has nothing to do with what we're seeing in the art. It's not just one of the best books going, it's one of the best suited to the serialized format. It reads best in its original form, the periodical. This forum is the only place I've seen people who don't love that run.

We must be wrong then. Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom