• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still like The Fix. Behind on it though...

In regards to Spencer.
I like Spencer when Lieber is doing the art. Superior Foes was really great too. I tried Ant Man but got kind of bored with it in comparison. Some of the Cap pages I saw, like the ones about the "evil SJWs" or whatever, were enough to turn me off of it.

Not that I like him that much, but it's intresting how much the comics community has turned around on Spencer. He was the 2nd coming a fee years ago during his first Ant-man run, and now he's on top he's reviled.
He's one of my favorite writers currently. I think Superior Foes was the first book of his I really got into, then when that ended I got into Ant-Man, Sam Wilson, and The Fix. Sam Wilson was my favorite book from any publisher for a while.

I don't like this Hydra Cap stuff as much as I like all those other books I listed, including Sam Wilson, but I do still like it a lot and think this backlash is unfortunate. It's too early to say if this will limit his career with the big two going forward or if the backlash is a vocal minority. After all, look at the numbers ASM puts up, but you can't find anyone on a message board or Twitter who likes Slott on Spidey, other than a few outliers like myself.

Sandfox

I didn't see the actual tweet, the way it was posted made it seem like he was tweeted that list and responded he likes what he has been shown. What he's shown doesn't necessarily have to correlate with that list I was just meaning I expect Ryan to be happy if it mostly just involves those three criteria.
I would be satisfied as well if those three criteria are hit.
Not that I like him that much, but it's intresting how much the comics community has turned around on Spencer. He was the 2nd coming a fee years ago during his first Ant-man run, and now he's on top he's reviled.

That's what happens when you write stories like the one he is writing. There was a point where people were discussing if Slott was one of the best Spider-Man writers of all time, and then people turned on him as soon as ASM 700 came out.

I like Spencer when Lieber is doing the art. Superior Foes was really great too. I tried Ant Man but got kind of bored with it in comparison. Some of the Cap pages I saw, like the ones about the "evil SJWs" or whatever, were enough to turn me off of it.
The reaction to that story was funny imo. A lot of people like to post out of context panels of the Sam Wilson book that makes things look bad when they actually aren't though.

Oh shit, I forgot about that. There are the BPRD Hell on Earth omnibuses too. v1 should be this year.

Don't the Abe hardcovers start coming out this fall too? I gotta get those

Yes, don't forget Abe! It's a really cool thoughtful series. If you ever watched a big scifi epic or nuclear apocalypse movie and wondered "wait, how are the actual everyday people actually living in this world? how do they even get by?" that's sort of what Abe is. The very ground level, backwater towns of the mignolaverse in the face of armageddon. Plus there are some brilliant reveals towards the end (although I would go into it excited for the character and the journey over the lore).

Finished the Vision #3 by King. Man, it's so interesting. These people feel so firmly out of place. The Vision most wants the family to fit into "normal" society, and the pieces are just falling apart. Virginia seems to be struggling so much with a robotic nature that conflicts with her inner emotions and memories, all the while trying to maintain a secret that looms beneath the quiet suburbs and now threatens to erupt.

The tone of the book is best exemplified by the dry omniscient narration. That, combined with the bizarre conversation style between the Visions make for one odd book. I love it so far.

I love that it goes south so quick. Like, not for one minute are things fine. Despite all of Vision's best intentions, it's just an instant shitshow, but not really all that different to how regular folks & families lives can just be the worst thing behind closed doors. In that sense, they totally fit normal society. Fascinating stuff.

That's what happens when you write stories like the one he is writing. There was a point where people were discussing if Slott was one of the best Spider-Man writers of all time, and then people turned on him as soon as ASM 700 came out.
Comic book fans are just stupid. A lot of the things they openly accept as history would have pissed them off if they had been reading back in the 60s/70s. The people roasting Slott for a goddamn mind swap story would have been calling for a boycott over Gwen Stacy's death.

smisk

Read Nick Fury #1 the other night and holy fuck. Just the art/color alone make it worth it, definitely picking up the next issue.

Sandfox

Comic book fans are just stupid. A lot of the things they openly accept as history would have pissed them off if they had been reading back in the 60s/70s. The people roasting Slott for a goddamn mind swap story would have been calling for a boycott over Gwen Stacy's death.

Conway actually said recently that he did get death threats over that.

I finally got a Kindle Fire and went nuts with Comixology. Here are some rapid fire HOT TAKES:

- The Vision by Tom King is the best "superhero" comic to come out in ages. Some absolutely brilliant character stuff that should eventually be spoken of with the same regard as Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

- DC Comic's The Flintstones is blowing my fucking mind. It's shocking how good it is at turning the property into an existential postmodernist nightmare, and it's absolutely hilarious to boot.

- I love you, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. I love you and I will never let go.

- Manhattan Projects is pretty incredible. First thing I've read from Hickman and I'm seriously considering getting East of West next.

- God Hates Astronauts is a more nuanced, crass Axe Cop. I really like it so far.

- Kaijumax is interesting. Not as comedic as it seemed to be at face value, but it balances emotional moments with its ridiculous premise really well. The art is awesome, too.

- That first issue of the American Gods comic adaptation is pretty good, but I don't know how much I need it in my life considering I'm re-reading the book AND watching the series at the moment. Still, it seems faithful and it's great to see it in comic book form.

Yeah. I was seeing early 2018 for that on Amazon but who knows. That'd be one the list too.

It's the very last week of December for the Hell On Earth book in comic shops, 7th of January for Amazon I believe. The Abe HC is first in November.

- Manhattan Projects is pretty incredible. First thing I've read from Hickman and I'm seriously considering getting East of West next.

Don't think you'll regret it!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I strongly disagree with this. Big Time, Matters of Life and Death, and Spider-Island are arguably some of the best Spider-Man stories ever and came out around that timeframe.
The last time I really enjoyed was the arc where Peter build his bulletproof suit after Jonah died. Big Time trade.
Spider-Island was an ok. Way to big and blockbustery

Edit: Just checked... 5 years since the last grear arc. Oh man. :(

Screaming Citadel #1 was excellent. Luke and Aphra didn't share a huge amount of time together during Vader Down, but I'm really glad Gillen decided to get them together again. Luke's so innocent and Aphra's so manipulative - they're the perfect team-up. This issue benefited from being a bit slower-paced and more character-focused than Vader Down, where it was constantly swapping between a large cast of characters and it always felt like they had to force an action scene every couple of pages Hopefully Han and co. continue to have more of a background role in this as the Luke and Aphra parts are so entertaining.

As for the art, Ktath'atn is really atmospheric and creepy. Checchetto's done a great job of designing several new planets in the comics and it's no different here.

I preferred this to any of the Vader Down issues. It's off to a good start.

arkon

It's the very last week of December for the Hell On Earth book in comic shops, 7th of January for Amazon I believe. The Abe HC is first in November.

Don't think you'll regret it!

Oh. Abe HC as well. Forgot that. Definitely getting that. At this point I'm pretty much committed to all the Mignolaverse books.

Damn. End of the year is packed.

Sandfox

The last time I really enjoyed was the arc where Peter build his bulletproof suit after Jonah died. Big Time trade.
Spider-Island was an ok. Way to big and blockbustery

Edit: Just checked... 5 years since the last grear arc. Oh man. :(
Superior had some good arcs like Goblin Nation.

The stuff after that is more conflicting though.

Oh. Abe HC as well. Forgot that. Definitely getting that. At this point I'm pretty much committed to all the Mignolaverse books.

Damn. End of the year is packed.

Haha that is a good place to be, there's almost never a bad volume. Abe is great though, and in addition to what I wrote about it above, I meant to meant that the writer of Abe is the new writer of the core BPRD book and I wouldn't be surprised to see some threads from Abe make their way into BPRD as a result. It's worth checking out from that perspective too.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Not a big week even by my standards.

Copperhead #13
The Fix #9
Lazarus Sourcebook #2

I decided I didn't want to give Black Cloud another shot. The first issue was that boring.

error4041

Not to bothered about the creative on the main Marvel books, only thing that really surprises me is that Spencer is still on Captain America.

Honestly I'm more curious about who will be put on smaller books like Hawkeye, Shield or Black Widow, or what will happen to current small books like Gwenpool, Squirrel Girl, Royals.

The Wild Storm #4 next week. Woohoo!

With the amazing cover.

OfQpWLJ.jpg

Sandfox

Not to bothered about the creative on the main Marvel books, only thing that really surprises me is that Spencer is still on Captain America.

Honestly I'm more curious about who will be put on smaller books like Hawkeye, Shield or Black Widow, or what will happen to current small books like Gwenpool, Squirrel Girl, Royals.
I doubt Ewing leaves the Inhumans so soon and Squirrel Girl changing creators would be surprising. I expect creative changes, but not from those books.

tim1138

It's a a shame the Manhattan Projects in on indefinite hiatus.

Yep, but from what I've heard Hickman checked out pretty soon after the first issue of the miniseries. Apparently Pitarra ended up writing a lot of it which is why there were so many delays.

Hickman needs all his creativity to write unfunny shit on Twitter.
Image is the company where the big writers to get lazy and shit on their books.

A statement like this sounds harsh but I've sincerely stopped checking for new Image titles because everything I was reading is on hiatus and I have little faith newer books won't suffer the same fate.

A statement like this sounds harsh but I've sincerely stopped checking for new Image titles because everything I was reading is on hiatus and I have little faith newer books won't suffer the same fate.

Okay guys, I need you to give it to me straight...

Is Rumble coming back at some point?

I guess I'm kind of in the same boat. I start a book, end up liking it, and then it's over and I have to find something new. It feels like I'm getting whiplash. Image only has a few strong books that really have legs. Invincible, Walking Dead, Saga, East of West, etc. And Invincible is ending relatively soon.

smisk

While we're talking about titles on hiatus, has anyone heard anything about the next part of Sheriff of Babylon? Tom still mentions it on Twitter occasionally, so I assume it's still happening. Though obviously Batman is way more popular so I can see why he'd put more energy into that.

I guess I'm kind of in the same boat. I start a book, end up liking it, and then it's over and I have to find something new. It feels like I'm getting whiplash. Image only has a few strong books that really have legs. Invincible, Walking Dead, Saga, East of West, etc. And Invincible is ending relatively soon.

ROBERT KIRKMAN IS FINISHING A BOOK?!!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Sams boat. I have no reason to start any Image books because I can expect that I can wait for one or two years for a issue to release.
Better going with Big Two books where the writer gets axed if this is the case.

Okay guys, I need you to give it to me straight...

Is Rumble coming back at some point?

Arcudi and Harren keep on saying a firm yes on twitter...at some point lol. I think Harren said it would be some time. Arcudi mentioned awhile back he had news to share soon but that's kind of been and gone. Just need to wait and see if Harren has more lined up after StE.

Edit: 3 days ago, Arcudi said the wheels are in motion Hah. That's it for now.

Sams boat. I have no reason to start any Image books because I can expect that I can wait for one or two years for a issue to release.

God, I remember how brutal the wait for Brandon Graham's Prophet to wrap up was.

giphy.gif

jurgen

Superior had some good arcs like Goblin Nation.

The stuff after that is more conflicting though.

Superior is one of the most egregious examples of "undercooking" an idea for a major comic book.

There was so much potential but it turned out to be Slott screaming at us that "nothing will ever be the same after this!" and every other character in the book taking stupid pills.

Arcudi and Harren keep on saying a firm yes on twitter...at some point lol. I think Harren said it would be some time. Arcudi mentioned awhile back he had news to share soon but that's kind of been and gone. Just need to wait and see if Harren has more lined up after StE.

Edit: 3 days ago, Arcudi said the wheels are in motion Hah. That's it for now.

Awesome. I love Rumble to bits.

Just purely out of interest, in the last saaay 5 years, which books has that happened to you with? I don't doubt they exist and I do have my eye off the actual shipping schedule somewhat since I buy trades but I feel like I read maybe 20 ongoing Image books right now? And I feel like i've had 2 volumes a year out of almost all of them since they kicked off, barring any that are only on vol 1 or are doing the series of mini series route. Maybe it's just the books I pick but it doesn't ring true as a description of Image's modern publishing schedules as a general rule of thumb. I could be wrong though.

Superior is one of the most egregious examples of "undercooking" an idea for a major comic book.

There was so much potential but it turned out to be Slott screaming at us that "nothing will ever be the same after this!" and every other character in the book taking stupid pills.
And then we just keep getting Spidey stories with SpOc in them...

Slott should've just given him his own monthly book.

15 WTF Things That Happened Behind The Scenes At Marvel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom