• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

Yeah, I don't really get the shock that Marvel isn't shuffling creative teams for Legacy. Isn't the whole point supposed to be "lets go back to classic story telling without events constantly derailing runs."

Like I dunno, the only titles I'm surprised by is Bendis sticking with Iron Man and Spencer with Captain America. But again, neither of the runs were bad either up until now either, so I'm not exactly complaining about it.
It hasn't even been two years since those runs started though it kinda feels longer. I could see Spencer potentially leaving, but Bendis probably has some stuff planned that he hasn't gotten to for both Tony and Riri.

Omega Men is one of my favorite books ever.

I'm starting to think King might just be better equipped to deal with off the wall concepts rather than more traditional cape comics.

I was gonna say I actually like Omega Men just slightly better than Vision but barely.

I agree. I don't know if King is a great fit for Batman but I'm still really liking what he's doing. During I am Suicide and Rooftops I was really down on that book.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I gotta catch up on Tom King's Batman, I stopped at the end of that Gotham sibling arc. While it was a pretty good run, I'm not the biggest fan of when other superheroes, besides the Batfamily, show up in Batman comics and especially not when they have superpowers. I like when it's just centered around Batman and him fighting villains that are in his power range.

Sandfox

King's Batman is fascinating in the way it changes so much from issue to issue. Even within the context of the same arc, you'll have a completely different approach to storytelling. He'll change the framing device or the point of view or just have an issue that's all action with narration over it that has nothing to do with what we're seeing in the art. It's not just one of the best books going, it's one of the best suited to the serialized format. It reads best in its original form, the periodical. This forum is the only place I've seen people who don't love that run.
There are plenty of people who don't think King's Batman is one of the best ongoing books.

Messi

I like it a lot, too, especially the second arc. Just saying.

You really don't have to invest in an entire universe. The latest stuff all runs on its own.

I'm glad you are enjoying it. I get nothing from hating on it. I hope y'all enjoy it.

Valiant is a superhero universe too far for me as someone who is deep into current marvel and DC

--

Hmmmm well then Sejic

aquaman 25, is now completed.

tomorrow work moves on to mercy and this

C_gnPP4XgAQjDJo.jpg:large

VanWinkle

I like it a lot, too, especially the second arc. Just saying.

You really don't have to invest in an entire universe. The latest stuff all runs on its own.

Man, speaking of Valiant, I'm bummed. I bought the Harbringer Deluxe awhile back, intending to read it as standalone, and a guy told me that reading Bloodshot alongside it is pretty much required. So I stopped reading one issue in and haven't gone back. That was over six months ago.

Man, I just want to read stuff that reads well standalone.

If we're being honest, I think that Valiant's stock would go up if they got some artists that were more than just serviceable. Besides the guy doing XO, I mean.

They're mostly pretty good, except maybe CAFU.

Valiant is a superhero universe too far for me as someone who is deep into current marvel and DC

You can go in for one series, or go in for several. You invest as much as you want.

What's a reading order for X-O Manowar, including any crossovers or relevant events that may have happened?

XO Manowar #1-18
XO Manowar #19-22 sequenced with Unity #1-4
XO Manowar #23-25
XO Manowar #26-29 sequenced with Armor Hunters #1-4
XO Manowar #30-50
XO Manowar (2017) #1-

you need to make a OT. I have no idea how to get into Valiant.

You can pick up any #1 or vol 1 and not be lost. XO Manowar (2017) is a good starting point with no background required. Secret Weapons is coming up next month. They have a handful of really good entry points in the form of miniseries - The Valiant, Faith, Savage, Britannia, Ivar Timewalker, Generation Zero.

Man, speaking of Valiant, I'm bummed. I bought the Harbringer Deluxe awhile back, intending to read it as standalone, and a guy told me that reading Bloodshot alongside it is pretty much required. So I stopped reading one issue in and haven't gone back. That was over six months ago.

Man, I just want to read stuff that reads well standalone.

I don't know how to tell you this because you've been tormented for 6 months by it, but this person is straight up wrong lol. I read through Harbinger without reading Bloodshot and nothing of value was lost.

TheFlow

Banned
They're mostly pretty good, except maybe CAFU.

You can go in for one series, or go in for several. You invest as much as you want.

XO Manowar #1-18
XO Manowar #19-22 sequenced with Unity #1-4
XO Manowar #23-25
XO Manowar #26-29 sequenced with Armor Hunters #1-4
XO Manowar #30-50
XO Manowar (2017) #1-

You can pick up any #1 or vol 1 and not be lost. XO Manowar (2017) is a good starting point with no background required. Secret Weapons is coming up next month. They have a handful of really good entry points in the form of miniseries - The Valiant, Faith, Savage, Britannia, Ivar Timewalker, Generation Zero.

I don't know how to tell you this because you've been tormented for 6 months by it, but this person is straight up wrong lol. I read through Harbinger without reading Bloodshot and nothing of value was lost.

sounds great.I should see if CMX unlimited has any of the new stuff like they do for some marvel series.

Flipping through some of these Vader issues and then the Aaron Star Wars stuff where Larroca came on, I'm not sure I even want to bother catching up on any of this.

I don't know how Marvel tolerates art that bad, or how they would have the balls to submit it to Lucasfilm for approval. And then someone at Lucasfilm actually did approve it. Fuck both of those companies for selling $3.99 comics that look like that.

VanWinkle

So I'm thinking about getting the Avengers/New Avengers by Hickman run in OHC. All of them can be had for a pretty affordable price and it would actually be about $40 cheaper than buying the two eventual omnis if the omnis DON'T include Secret Wars, or about $15-20 cheaper than the omnis if they do end up including Secret Wars. I could see it going either way, but the extra plus sides of going the OHC route is I'd be getting it earlier, and OHCs are easier to read.

Let me know if this is roughly the way to read it in OHC format:

-Avengers Vol 1
-Avengers Vol 2
-New Avengers Vol 1
-Infinity (will be buying issues on Comixology to avoid double dipping)
-Avengers Vol 3
-New Avengers Vol 2
-Time Runs Out
-Secret Wars

Ugh, figures. He's a huge reading order fanatic, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm so out of the loop and confused.

So, Dan Slott's and Allreds silver suffer had a vol 3 paperback last year yet Silver Surfer 11 is out today. Did they reboot to 1 again?

mreddie

America is like seeing 50 Shades of Grey, it's aimed to a certain crowd and not for you but you can't look away because its a stunning car crash.

Thanks for clarifying. Yeah this is bizarro. People praising Surfer 11 and I keep thinking there's a joke I'm missing .
Some books had more than one #1 in the same calendar year. Spencer's Ant-Man had three #1 issues in a row, and it wasn't a joke (Ant-Man Annual #1, Last Days of Ant-Man #1, and The Atonishing Ant-Man #1). You would think that was a gag, but that was just their publishing being out of control.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So I'm thinking about getting the Avengers/New Avengers by Hickman run in OHC. All of them can be had for a pretty affordable price and it would actually be about $40 cheaper than buying the two eventual omnis if the omnis DON'T include Secret Wars, or about $15-20 cheaper than the omnis if they do end up including Secret Wars. I could see it going either way, but the extra plus sides of going the OHC route is I'd be getting it earlier, and OHCs are easier to read.

Let me know if this is roughly the way to read it in OHC format:

-Avengers Vol 1
-Avengers Vol 2
-New Avengers Vol 1
-Infinity (will be buying issues on Comixology to avoid double dipping)
-Avengers Vol 3
-New Avengers Vol 2
-Time Runs Out
-Secret Wars.
zqcsZUr.jpg

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
RE: Bug

How much of this is old stuff versus new stuff? I know next to nothing about the New Gods out side of the Scott Free stuff from Johns Justice League run and that Metatron is the guy in the chair.

I want to read comics

But I'm so fucking tired.
That was really good indeed, but I count it more to Spider-Verse and thatis where Slott shines anyway.
But it took place waaaay before Spider-Verse
America #3

Dropped
That took too long
America is like seeing 50 Shades of Grey, it's aimed to a certain crowd and not for you but you can't look away because its a stunning car crash.

More like a slight bumper to bumper

jurgen

It hasn't even been two years since those runs started though it kinda feels longer. I could see Spencer potentially leaving, but Bendis probably has some stuff planned that he hasn't gotten to for both Tony and Riri.

Bendis planning stuff he hasn't gotten to doesn't mean he'd actually get around to it.

How long has he been planning the robots/martians?

Well I mean we're just now getting Spider-Men 2 lol.
And Defenders. The last page of his New Avengers run was Luke talking to Jessica about having a new idea for Heroes for Hire, and Bendis just said recently that this Defenders book is what that was, and he's only just now getting to it.

jurgen

He's been hinting that shit with CW2 as well.

Yeah, it's been going on since like 2009.

Hell, he didn't even touch half of the stuff he teased in his X-Men run. You can't say he got cut short by Secret Wars because his entire run was decompressed as hell.

Sandfox

I doubt Bendis will ever do anything more with the Killraven/The War of the Worlds stuff other than teases to it potentially happening in the future. That would be hard to work in without completely changing stuff.

Yeah, it's been going on since like 2009.

Hell, he didn't even touch half of the stuff he teased in his X-Men run. You can't say he got cut short by Secret Wars because his entire run was decompressed as hell.
Something fishy was going on with the way his X-Men run ended. I don't know if we'll ever know what happened, but he clearly wasn't done.

jurgen

Something fishy was going on with the way his X-Men run ended. I don't know if we'll ever know what happened, but he clearly wasn't done.

I think he stopped caring early into the run. The way the first big arc fizzled out with
"Oh by the way Dark Beast out of nowhere was messing with your powers and now he's dead LOL"
made me think that Bendis gave up when editorial pushed back on something.

Sandfox

This is a man who had the Avengers for 8 years and the only big things he did was the team with his favs.

While the quality is questionable, Bendis actually did a lot with the Avengers. Disassembled to Siege completely shook things up.

Now his Guardians run was on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom