• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliph95

Not even the lovable Professor Pyg?
Or the best sidekick Batcow
latest

His valiant work is better

I really liked the surrogates and the homeland directive back in the day, before his big publisher work, but I haven't read of his big publisher work to this point.

He does remind me of Demon Knights though. I dropped off of it when he took over but I liked that book.

Worlds better then the N52 garbage he was churning out

I'm going to check the other book as per your recommendation but of course it got me looking at the Venditti book as well.

caliph95

I edited that post saying that I liked Batman and Robin the most, so that was decent but it didn't really grab me enough for me to buy the next volume.
I still need to finish the run but his run on the main Batman book was hit and miss for me but Batman and Robin and Inc i remember liking especially the stuff with Damian,

I'm looking forward to Metal, but I really hope its batman new 52 run quality rather than all star batman quality

That image looks like late 90,s/early 00,s Justice League crazyness, almost like an episode of the cartoon or something

Started Ales Kot's Dead Drop yesterday. The art is really good in some places, and just bizarre in others...

Other than that, it almost feels like Kot wrote this with another character in mind. The voice on Aric is all wrong (he makes quips that you'd expect from a millennial, not a 5th century time-displaced Visigoth), and why would a person with Superman level powers engage in a foot-chase with a regular human? This is probably the least cohesive thing I've read from Valiant.

How is Venditti Lanterns these days?

It's really good. I think Venditti really turned that book around and surprised a lot of people.

caliph95

Started Ales Kot's Dead Drop yesterday. The art is really good in some places, and just bizarre in others...

Other than that, it almost feels like Kot wrote this with another character in mind. The voice on Aric is all wrong (he makes quips that you'd expect from a millennial, not a 5th century time-displaced Visigoth), and why would a person with Superman level powers engage in a foot-chase with a regular human? This is probably the least cohesive thing I've read from Valiant.

It's really good. I think Venditti really turned that book around and surprised a lot of people.
Dead Drop is honestly weird i read on valiant a least for the 3 issues i read, not badly written i guess but the characters tend to be out of characters and were having too much trouble catching that girl though remember liking the 3rd issue

Dead Drop is honestly weird i read on valiant a least for the 3 issues i read, not badly written i guess but the characters tend to be out of characters and were having too much trouble catching that girl though remember liking the 3rd issue

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Cue some jokes, but it's like the guy never bothered to read about the characters he was going to write about. That said, I think if it were like Ninjak or something in that first issue, it would have meshed a lot better.

Finished up Multiversity Ultra Comics. Just have #2 left. Maybe it is because I haven't read Final Crisis and 7 Soldiers like it was suggested earlier, but I enjoyed the middle 7 issues a lot more than #1 and the few pages of #2. At least for #2, I have some context from the other earths from the previous 7 stories. Interesting where he's heading with the Lil' Gotham characters.

caliph95

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Cue some jokes, but it's like the guy never bothered to read about the characters he was going to write about. That said, I think if it were like Ninjak or something in that first issue, it would have meshed a lot better.
Third issue was the half robot scientist from Q&W i remember liking moments with him never read the fourth though
Second issue had IIRC
Archer having trouble with her because she drugged him after he was sleeping with some i think then a bunch of random ninjas somehow kidnappping him..... ok

sooo... what's up with Black Mask Studios? At one point, they had a whole bunch of momentum coming off of We Can Never Go Home, finally over their legal issues or whatever they were dealing with, saying they were going to get back to business... then, their release schedules got screwed up for unknown reasons, and here we are a year out from what was possible their most hyped up book, 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank, and there are only 3 issues out. What happened there? A year and a half delay between issues of Young Terrorists? Now I can't speak for everyone else, but I stopped following them altogether at a point and I didn't even realize it. It just feels like...

giphy.gif

Third issue was the half robot scientist from Q&W i remember liking moments with him never read the fourth though

I'm going to go ahead and say, judging from reception, you didn't miss much.

Messi

sooo... what's up with Black Mask Studios? At one point, they had a whole bunch of momentum coming off of We Can Never Go Home, finally over their legal issues or whatever they were dealing with, saying they were going to get back to business... then, their release schedules got screwed up for unknown reasons, and here we are a year out from what was possible their most hyped up book, 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank, and there are only 3 issues out. What happened there? A year and a half delay between issues of Young Terrorists? Now I can't speak for everyone else, but I stopped following them altogether at a point and I didn't even realize it. It just feels like...

giphy.gif

I'm going to go ahead and say, judging from reception, you didn't miss much.

4 kids #4 is this week

Young Terrorists they rolled all issues they had into #2. That's why it's 80 pages.

They blew their advantage

tim1138

According to Amazon DC is finally reprinting Kirby's The Demon. It'll be out in paperback in October and I advise y'all to check it out. I'll be double dipping on it digitally to go with my hardcover copy. :D

4 kids #4 is this week

Young Terrorists they rolled all issues they had into #2. That's why it's 80 pages.

They blew their advantage

Basically, yeah. They had all this momentum, then lost it all, and it wasn't even because of their legal issues (the details of which escape me right now).

Black Mask also just had There's Nothing There come out from one of the writers of We Can Never Go Home

I'm not so sure that one was very well received. Also, Kim & Kim has an Eisner nom. However, it feels like they dropped the ball on their more hyped up books with delays. :/

kmfdmpig

That Mister Miracle looks great. King paired with a character I've liked for decades is a win for me, and that preview looks really good as well. I wouldn't have thought that type of art style would work for the character, but it does.

According to Amazon DC is finally reprinting Kirby's The Demon. It'll be out in paperback in October and I advise y'all to check it out. I'll be double dipping on it digitally to go with my hardcover copy. :D

I should actually get around to reading that... I think I'll start on it after I finish Multiversity today.

Haha I was thinking about The Demon today, has he shown up in Rebirth yet? Last time I spotted him was Demon Knights orrrr Stormwatch?

My attempt to buy Valiant stuff ended in failure. All the stuff I'd lined up to order the morning after that last post about it went out of stock bar the harbinger wars tpb? Lol. So I'm going to have another shot at it after the weekend. I really want the OHCs since they have the proper reading order but I might have to let go of that idea. To be continued.

In response to my annoyance at that failing through, I just went ahead and bought a bunch of Mignola/monster/horror books. Only afterwards did I realise almost all of them were a) Dark Horse and b) colored by Dave Stewart haha. I guess I have a type.

The Grim Death book is actual pretty big, and more square-ish than the average novel, it's really nice.

I hope this has a little more of a sense of humor in it. That preview really makes it seem like it. The fun and humor from King was the best stuff from Grayson.

In Morrison's run were Thomas and Martha Wayne drug addicts? I was thinking about this the other day and realized I couldn't remember what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom