• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
They co-wrote Grayson until issue #17

Huh, weird, could have sworn there was a lot of talk around that time of that being a King issue. Like, from his specifically or something. Maybe I was wrong.

Now I have to go look, like I feel like there was an interview with him talking about that issue.

Huh, weird, could have sworn there was a lot of talk around that time of that being a King issue. Like, from his specifically or something. Maybe I was wrong.

Now I have to go look, like I feel like there was an interview with him talking about that issue.

Let me know if you do. At least we can agree it was an awesome issue!

Aizo

Banned
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 finally came out here. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I love Mantis.

Man, it's so different from the comics, though. The subtitles were actually pretty good for once. I typically hate the Japanese subtitles for a lot of movies because they cut a lot of important shit, but these weren't as bad. It showed, too, since I never hear Japanese people laugh in theaters, but many laughed tonight.

Looks like the first issue to kick off the 1955 series.

I still need to finish 1954. It's not bad but... it's definitely not Hellboy/BPRD tier. Really happy Roberson isn't doing main BPRD

I'm honestly surprised they've announced this, the reception to some of his stuff has been rough, I thought they might wrap it up with him. Then again, this probably was already in the works before the recent ones dropped.

VanWinkle

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/05/exclusive-tom-king-mitch-gerads-miracle-man.html

MMIR_Cv1_var.jpg

MMIR_01_7-thumb-650x999-614895.jpg

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

This is a perfect fit for King. CAN'T WAIT.

Owzers

I need a MU annual sale, seems like it's been awhile.

Not that hyped for mister miracle, i liked vision but not Grayson or Batman by king.

Finished The Fade Out. Excellent comic all around. Wanna check out Criminal next, but I'm gonna hold off on it a bit.

Just ordered the Kirby Fourth World books, so that's gonna be my next big reading session.

I have to say, I feel bad for judging Mitch Gerards off of the Punisher panel that was posted here a while back. After seeing his work on Batman and the preview pages for Mister Miracle, he's a really great artist.

Vic_Viper

I need a MU annual sale, seems like it's been awhile.

Not that hyped for mister miracle, i liked vision but not Grayson or Batman by king.

I also need a MU sale!! Cant tell when my sub will lapse, but I know its coming soon and I forgot my password lol.

I have high hopes for Mister Miracle. I mean Darkseid IS!!! King obviously has talent, but it needs to be used on the right kind of book. Sheriff, Omega Men, and his Vision books were all awesome but I do not like his Batman run at all. I dropped it after like the 5th issue so maybe its gotten better, but from what ive read it just felt like it was missing something. It wasnt bad in any stretch, but it wasnt great either. Just because he was in the CIA doesnt necessarily mean hes going to be able to craft these awesome espionage stories like DC and Marvel want him to, which is why the books he chooses seem to be way better than the ones hes assigned.

Still need to read his Grayson run though. Been meaning to re-read Batman Inc before jumping into Grayson since they run pretty much back to back. Ive heard mixed reviews for Grayson, but it seems like if you weren't a fan of Batman Inc then you definitely weren't a fan of Grayson. Personally I really enjoyed the first half of Inc but stopped reading after New 52 started. Will probably pick up the Grayson Omnibus when it comes out along with the Darksied War.

tim1138

Haha I was thinking about The Demon today, has he shown up in Rebirth yet? Last time I spotted him was Demon Knights orrrr Stormwatch?

I was just thinking about that, he's currently the only big Kirby creation that isn't already appearing or scheduled to appear. OMAC is in Blue Beetle, the Kamandi Challenge has a few issues out, the New Gods are repped in Bug and Mr Miracle, and Snyder has that new Challengers of the Unknown book dropping this fall. Gotta figure Etrigan will be popping up somewhere.

Vic_Viper

The Defenders spoilers/theroy!

http://www.cbr.com/defenders-sigourney-weaver-character-theory/

If true, then they are totally doing Shadowland! Shadowland is obviously not a very good event, if not one of Marvels worst. But if done right it could be an amazing storyline for the Netflix show. Just drop everything about Daredevil being possessed and I think it would work really well.

Mignola's Joe Golem Deluxe HC is coming out in a few weeks too (reprint?), how is it? The description says its an illustrated novel?

I was just thinking about that, he's currently the only big Kirby creation that isn't already appearing or scheduled to appear. OMAC is in Blue Beetle, the Kamandi Challenge has a few issues out, the New Gods are repped in Bug and Mr Miracle, and Snyder has that new Challengers of the Unknown book dropping this fall. Gotta figure Etrigan will be popping up somewhere.

I think his last appearance was in Justice League 3000/3001.

Ah you know, I haven't read JL 3000/1, although I want to, I loved the art on it. It looked really fun. I hope he shows up though he's a real favourite and like Tim mentioned, alot of the other characters are spinning around. I really want more of the creepy characters back in general, my favourite part of the new 52 was a lot of that stuff getting books, even if it all went off board and we mostly ended up with the trinity of sin lol

VanWinkle

Just read the first issue of Flintstones by Russell/Pugh. Fantastic. LOVE the art, and of course the deconstructions of the common Flintstones setup.

I admit I was a little worried that the book was going to be completely focused on trying to bring deeper meaning to the things we know from Flintstones and the storytelling would take a backseat, but that wasn't the case. There was a nice balance there.

Vic_Viper

What sparked Jason Aaron's Astonishing Spider-man and Wolverine? I know it's a self contained story but was there anything that lead up to it in either of Spider-man or Wolverine's books at the time? I know some of the storylines continue in Wolverine and the X-Men, but was there anything else before or after it?

Mignola's Joe Golem Deluxe HC is coming out in a few weeks too (reprint?), how is it? The description says its an illustrated novel?

I haven't read this one unfortunately, Grim Death is the first novel I've picked up, but the comic they spun out of the novel was great! Is this a reprint of the dark horse super big version? The regular HC of the novel should be cheaper if you're interested but don't want to pay for the deluxe version.

Kim Jacinto apparently

Bummer that Duggan is done with it though. I thought his take was really fun and refreshing.

http://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic/9646755/the-uncanny-avengers-24

I have to read the first couple of arcs yet. I read the first issue and dropped it because it was bad, then everyone kept talking about how good it had gotten, so I jumped on with the beginning of the Hand arc (Marvel NOW 2.0 "relaunch"). I'll go back and read what came before, but I think the reason why I enjoyed it so much is because it follows all of the previous storylines left hanging from Remender's run, but completely feels like it's own run that doesn't require the previous. This is exactly what should happen when a writer takes over on the same title after the previous one. Sure, every once in awhile a "reboot" is needed (see Claremont or Morrison on X-Men), but not every damned time, which I feel like a lot of writers try to do. Duggan did a great job not only following up, but also doing his own thing. That's just plain good writing.

jackdoe

In Morrison's run were Thomas and Martha Wayne drug addicts? I was thinking about this the other day and realized I couldn't remember what happened.
No. The photo evidence was a fake, created by Doctor Hurt, taken with stand-ins. The Thomas Wayne stand-in was a time displaced Bruce Wayne, hurtling through time thanks to the Omega Sanction. The stand-in for Martha Wayne was the missing actress who starred in the cursed Black Glove film.

Wow, love it. I'm in.

I hope there's a lot of Big Barda

Tyrant living that Waifu life.

My attempt to buy Valiant stuff ended in failure. All the stuff I'd lined up to order the morning after that last post about it went out of stock bar the harbinger wars tpb? Lol.

It was probably Zombeen. He loves buying shit out from under people.

Chos newest Harley variant. Good company work as usual

You really can't fault the guy for anything in terms of art quality. He's always been one of the best when it comes to linework. I really wish they let him keep doing those Wonder Woman covers, as they were all brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom