• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

He said on his Facebook he walked off and is going to focus on more creator owned work. Also said he was offered X-Men Gold and showed some designs.

Ah weird the story didn't say that. Probably for the best. Super unprofessional to do it tho. Especially twice.

Those lips tho...

Yeah, that panel is still bad lol

Just read that DC is gonna be collecting Rachel Pollack's issues of Doom Patrol into trades for the first time. That's pretty neat. I'll give it a shot. HOPEFULLY, they don't cancel these trades too... Really disappointed about the Sandman Mystery Theatre cancellation.

jurgen

If Marvel announced a core reboot or relaunch. 12 months no changes on creative or events. But largely the same current talent pool maybe shuffled a bit. Would that be enough?

No. We basically had that back in 2010 with the "Heroic Age" stuff post-Siege. That took us down the road to Fear Itself, which wasn't worth the trouble.

Read the first chapter of this Mignola/Sniegoski novel. Fuck me, this book is dark lol. The writing is totally fine, very meat and potatoes, straight forward written, not a lot of flair, they obviously want it to be an easy book for anyone to pick up. The actual plot/content is pretty out there though haha, the investigation the lead character goes on in chpt 1 is fairly similar to your normal Hellboy bit where something strange is going on and lead character stumbles in/is called to investigate and everything unravels from there but things get darker than probably any Hellboy tale or Baltimore etc I can think of. It kicks off with
cannibism
and somehow steps that up once or twice before the resolution. The lead character is like an even more unhinged Lobster meets Batman who believes he's been chosen as the avatar of death, whom the spirits of the recently departed appear to in order to mete out justice against the wicked. Pretty nuts, more than I expected.

dan2026

Just finished my re-read of Superior Foes of Spiderman.
What an amazing series, from beginning to end.

There aren't nearly enough Super Villain books.
Or funny comic books in general.

oh, and can we also shit on Black Mask Studios for being so incredibly inconsistent with their CMX releases? I wanted to read The Dregs, but nope, issue #3 isn't up yet. #1 did not release on time with comic shops, but #2 did and now #3 didn't. lolwat

I recommend Quantum & Woody. It's in the same style of humor and Lieber did the last arc.

Hmm, thought I would read either Hellbo LE 4 or The Demon after Multiversity but three library books came in. (Prez v1, Spider-Gwen ohc v1, Strange Girl omnibus). Wonder what I should read next.

Messi

What I'd I told you that guy is a Nazi sympathiser. Or so I hear.

dan2026

What I'd I told you that guy is a Nazi sympathiser. Or so I hear.
Maybe that's why he writes crooks so good.....

Superior Foes is far and away the best thing Spencer has done though.
He should go back to comedy. Serious stories don't suit him as well.

The Fix is kinda like a R-rated Superior Foes.

I think Lieber is the one that really makes it (and Superior Foes) work. He's a great artist with a good sense of humor.

He's also writing The Fix, also about some crooks. I think Lieber is also on that one.

Messi

The Fix

Morning Glories is also hilarious for different reasons

Hmm, thought I would read either Hellbo LE 4 or The Demon after Multiversity but three library books came in. (Prez v1, Spider-Gwen ohc v1, Strange Girl omnibus). Wonder what I should read next.

Spider Gwen is good popcorn fun with some nice heartfelt character work Imo and I get a real kick out of the tipsy turvy nature of the world compared to the regular universe...but I think I would pick Prez out of those three haha, I always wanted to read it, sounded great.

Then again you could just go for HB anyway ;)

dan2026

The Fix is kinda like a R-rated Superior Foes.

I think Lieber is the one that really makes it (and Superior Foes) work. He's a great artist with a good sense of humor.
I'm not sure I want r rated Superior Foes.
If it was super violent, i don't think it would be as funny.

But I will take a look nonetheless.

Messi

Seems Hellboys library editions are going oop on Amazon UK as prices are going up through 3rd party. Get it while you can if you want them.

Seems Hellboys library editions are going oop on Amazon UK as prices are going up through 3rd party. Get it while you can if you want them.

DH keeps them in print. They'll be back in a couple of months.

Prez. God damn is that book a treasure.

Spider Gwen is good popcorn fun with some nice heartfelt character work Imo and I get a real kick out of the tipsy turvy nature of the world compared to the regular universe...but I think I would pick Prez out of those three haha, I always wanted to read it, sounded great.

Then again you could just go for HB anyway ;)

Prez it is!

VanWinkle

Flintstones Vol. 1 finished. Excellent. I adore Steve Pugh's art. His expression work is extremely good. Some of the writing and stories were a little too on the nose for my tastes, but overall I loved it.

Onto Vision Vol. 2.

jurgen

BM_23_08.jpg
BM_23_10.jpg

King and Gerards are having one hell of a day.

TheFlow

Banned
What some other posters said. They go up then come right back down when stocked. This has been happening for almost a decade

Been reading my FCBD books and enjoying them a lot. I liked the Wonder Woman rebirth #1 by Rucka. How is this series? I don't see many people talking about.

Even better was Betty and Veronica #1 by Hughes. Loved that so much. Heard this fizzled out after a few issues? Shame. Regardless, I want to track down whatever issues exist.

The Buffy comic was pretty cute, too. Rick and Morty was meh, but I've never seen the cartoon. This was my first exposure to the IP.

Been reading my FCBD books and enjoying them a lot. I liked the Wonder Woman rebirth #1 by Rucka. How is this series? I don't see many people talking about.

Even better was Betty and Veronica #1 by Hughes. Loved that so much. Heard this fizzled out after a few issues? Shame. Regardless, I want to track down whatever issues exist.

The Buffy comic was pretty cute, too. Rick and Morty was meh, but I've never seen the cartoon. This was my first exposure to the IP.

I like Wonder Woman a lot. A bit behind on it, but it's always good each issue. I am tired of origin stories for Diana, but the Year One stuff is actually very strong. Nicola Scott is a very talented artist and does some gorgeous work in it. Probably my favorite mainline DC book.

I like WW. Despite not really wanting to see any shake ups with her origin after enjoying Azzarello's run so much and what he laid out, and not really digging Diana's Megan Fox botox expressions, it is really well written and played out, and Sharp's renditions of some of the gnarlier things in the arc are awesome. It was the best of the Rebirth books I tried so far, but i've only tried 5 so take what you will from that haha

Owzers

I thought Wonder Woman was a long waste of time :/ still haven't read the last three issues I bought, quit ordering at 17.

Sat and read through Hellboy: Into The Silent Sea this evening. Awesome! It's only a 56 page tale, but it's pitch perfect. After The Island, Hellboy drifted on the sea for a time before arriving in England. This is at least one of the bizarre adventures that happened to him during that time. It's basically the usual Hellboy template but there's some surprising call outs to the greater lore and Gianni (whom I'm not familiar with at all) pencils the whole crazy thing to great success and Stewart nails it as always.

It's cool to finally see what happened after that tease at the end of The Island all that time ago, and with The Visitor's story also being told, I kind of feel like I've nearly had every big question I genuinely wanted to know about HB's adventures answered. That's not to say there isn't endless room for Mignola to tell these kind of small adventures, but it's just cool to have so much addressed. Would still love to know what happened during HB's first visit and lost week in Africa that led to the ominous warning in Strange Places though, that one is still there.

jurgen

It's written extremely well. Probably the best voice Diana has had since the last time Rucka wrote the book (and maybe Simone). The problem is that it feels extremely decompressed with the alternating storylines and Veronica Cale isn't compelling enough for me to be interested in Diana dealing with her.

I don't pay attention to solicits or news too much, so this may be something everyone already knew months ago, but on the latest Bendis Tapes, he was talking about his Doom book like it's going to end soon.

Sandfox

I don't pay attention to solicits or news too much, so this may be something everyone already knew months ago, but on the latest Bendis Tapes, he was talking about his Doom book like it's going to end soon.
Yeah, Bendis said that the Doom book was planned for a finite run and I would imagine the character steps down when Tony return later this year.

Probably my favourite DC book ever. So, so good.

Surely now is the time for Bob, Agent of Hydra, to return.
Bob is actually getting a story in the anthology tie-in book.

Messi

A few issues? What if I told you that you have read 1/3 of Betty and Veronica and the final third hasn't shipped yet. It didn't stop him selling the original art from #3 tho.

Issue 1 : July 20th
Issue 2 : November 9th
Issue 2 : June 14th

Adam Hughes everyone.

Sandfox

A few issues? What if I told you that you have read 1/3 of Betty and Veronica and the final third hasn't shipped yet. It didn't stop him selling the original art from #3 tho.

Issue 1 : July 20th
Issue 2 : November 9th
Issue 2 : June 14th

Adam Hughes everyone.
Book was trash and I very rarely say that about something.

frye

Winter Soldier (really that entire last arc but man check this cover for #9) (1)
Kill or Be Killed (1) (2)
Sleeper (1) (2)
Incognito (1)
Criminal: The Last of the Innocent (1)

🤔 🤔 🤔

Sleeper/Incognito/Criminal are nsfw

There's stuff with Slam Bradley in Catwoman I think, and there's definitely stuff in The Fade Out and Fatale I could've put up there too

tim1138

As Kirby's inker I'm pretty sure Mike Royer had the easiest gig of all time. Kirby did full pencils on every page and Royer was literally just filling in blacks, the punchline to the joke about inkers being tracers. His biggest contributions to the books was his lettering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom