• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Everything's coming up New Gods, so I'm looking for some backstory.

I'll check out all of the Kirby stuff, but is there anything else? Cosmic Odyssey?

Looking good. I'm assuming Rogue
absorbing Deadpool's powers(?) is only temporary?
She didn't absorb his powers for more than a few seconds. His powers apparently shocked Wonder Man out of her system, so he's back, but she still has his residual powers. She's basically classic Rogue again.

Ross61

Winter Soldier (really that entire last arc but man check this cover for #9) (1)
Kill or Be Killed (1) (2)
Sleeper (1) (2)
Incognito (1)
Criminal: The Last of the Innocent (1)

🤔 🤔 🤔

Sleeper/Incognito/Criminal are nsfw

There's stuff with Slam Bradley in Catwoman I think, and there's definitely stuff in The Fade Out and Fatale I could've put up there too
You're an interesting character.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hellboy in Hell: Library Edition coming in October. Abe Sapien hardcovers, collecting right from the next trades I would be buying, start in November. BPRD: Hell on Earth hardcovers starting in Dec/Jan.

My slow catchup on all things Hellboy just got slower, but more guaranteed. I do like their hardcovers.

Done with Multiversity. Pretty good over all, even though the book end issues were a little confusing. Also, writing 400+ pages to get that
gentrification punch-line
is a lot of dedication... -_-

According to Amazon DC is finally reprinting Kirby's The Demon. It'll be out in paperback in October and I advise y'all to check it out. I'll be double dipping on it digitally to go with my hardcover copy. :D
Nice. I bought all those Kirby collections (including the 4th world ones) I'd love them digitally too

Owzers

Hellboy in Hell: Library Edition coming in October. Abe Sapien hardcovers, collecting right from the next trades I would be buying, start in November. BPRD: Hell on Earth hardcovers starting in Dec/Jan.

My slow catchup on all things Hellboy just got slower, but more guaranteed. I do like their hardcovers.
Hellboy library and Low hardcover for me.

Halfway through library vol 1! Comics! Slowly!

Winter Soldier (really that entire last arc but man check this cover for #9) (1)
Sleeper (1) (2)
Incognito (1)

🤔 🤔 🤔

There's stuff with Slam Bradley in Catwoman I think, and there's definitely stuff in The Fade Out and Fatale I could've put up there too

That's his fetish

As Kirby's inker I'm pretty sure Mike Royer had the easiest gig of all time. Kirby did full pencils on every page and Royer was literally just filling in blacks, the punchline to the joke about inkers being tracers. His biggest contributions to the books was his lettering.

That's awesome, his raw pencils are amazing. That bottom right panel is great, even before.

Hellboy library and Low hardcover for me.

Halfway through library vol 1! Comics! Slowly!

I feel like you're in some sort of loop, it's always halfway.

Or is it me. Am I in the loop?

Malyse

So, I tend to not read old comics. However if there's a prose novel of an old comic, I'll 1000% read it every time. The updated dialogue and concepts tend to make them work better anyway. All that being said, I never read Secret Wars 84 because way too old, but I'm finishing up the Secret Wars prose novel. I'm convinced that Marvel, Fox, and Sony could make an amazing Secret Wars crossover film and unite the X-Men and Avengers universes.

Also, it's kinda hilarious that SW84 and SW15 both had Doom basically win.

There's some pretty cool Mignola related stuff beyond the library/omnibus stuff later this year btw.

- Hellboy: An Assortment Of Horrors, prose anthology, pretty sure Chelsea Cain has a story in there

- Baltimore Vol 8: The end of the series. It's been good!

- Mr. Higgins comes home: Mignola written OGN

All nice HCs. Good times!

& too true Tim, that's awesome. What book is that you're snapping from?

Oh & I even forgot the DC universe by HC that's coming in the summer.

Owzers

That's awesome, his raw pencils are amazing. That bottom right panel is great, even before.

I feel like you're in some sort of loop, it's always halfway.

Or is it me. Am I in the loop?
i can't bring myself to read more comics after catching back up. I did watch episode 5 of Legion and ahhhhhhhh good.

tim1138

There's some pretty cool Mignola related stuff beyond the library/omnibus stuff later this year btw.

- Hellboy: An Assortment Of Horrors, prose anthology, pretty sure Chelsea Cain has a story in there

- Baltimore Vol 8: The end of the series. It's been good!

- Mr. Higgins comes home: Mignola written OGN

All nice HCs. Good times!

& too true Tim, that's awesome. What book is that you're snapping from?

Jack Kirby Pencils and Inks from IDW. It's the pencils and inks from the first issues of Kamandi, OMAC, and The Demon.

i can't bring myself to read more comics after catching back up. I did watch episode 5 of Legion and ahhhhhhhh good.

Daaaaaaavid. Do you like it? I was head over heels for it, I just love that storytelling style.

Jack Kirby Pencils and Inks from IDW. It's the pencils and inks from the first issues of Kamandi, OMAC, and The Demon.

I love that they do that stuff, have you saw the In Hell artist's edition? I think they're doing a reprint but it's priiiicey

mreddie

Dammit, looks like Elsa is taking 2 issues off of Wasp

C_p9yl3XcAIUHn8.jpg

skybald

Flintstones Vol. 1 finished. Excellent. I adore Steve Pugh's art. His expression work is extremely good. Some of the writing and stories were a little too on the nose for my tastes, but overall I loved it.

I just finished it as well. I then immediately bought 7-11 single issues only to find out 12 will be the final issue.

I really hope something comes of all the world building they did. The art is top notch. I just want a little more from the story. The war flashbacks were very serious and well done in Vol. 1. Hope they can do more with that.

MG310

Opened up Flash, just as good as I hoped. Oddly her milkshake holding arm is detached below the elbow in the box and attaches into the sleeve by magnet. The rollerskates are also 2 separate accessories that you loop onto her finger.

Sleeper (1) (2)
Incognito (1)

🤔 🤔 🤔

I love Brubaker and Phillips but they've been doing the same comic in different settings for a long time. Them dipping into the cuckolding well often is not surprising.

Opened up Flash, just as good as I hoped. Oddly her milkshake holding arm is detached below the elbow in the box and attaches into the sleeve by magnet. The rollerskates are also 2 separate accessories that you loop onto her finger.

Not actually that weird. They do this a lot now to make things fit into smaller boxes. That $300 Negan statue has tons of magnets in it.

VanWinkle

Subscribed to Marvel Unlimited to read a few long and OOP runs that I've wanted to for awhile. Currently four issues into Fantastic Four by Hickman and it's incredible.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Subscribed to Marvel Unlimited to read a few long and OOP runs that I've wanted to for awhile. Currently four issues into Fantastic Four by Hickman and it's incredible.

You're just going on a tear of great-ass runs.

It's like you're trying to actually like comics or something.

One of my favourite series ever published at DC.

They should bring it back. But it would probably be shitty.

I mean, Gail did have a short post-Flashpoint run. It got 12 issues, I think? Two trades. I have the first one and it's pretty dope. It had one of the best characters to come out of the New 52.
Strix is the best

Also Porcelain. But mostly Strix.

Wanderer5

Lawl.

tumblr_md3397yex41rikbvoo1_500.png

Collected issue 4-7 for Bryan Q. Miller Batgirl (going to spread out on getting through this series bit by bit), and oh man was the arc with Batman and Robin so good. Yeah Damian And Steph sure has a dynamic already heh, and there were even a couple nice scenes with Dick and Barbara.

So yeah, 7 issues in, and this has been highly enjoyable. Also, the Steph vs Livewire (from the animated series!) was pretty funny.

I might have to suspend my ever so slow Omega Men reading just to re-read that Secret Six run now. Except I never finished it. I only have the first trade.
tumblr_nq5ilzOv8N1rlrrjdo1_500.png

Dalek

I just finished it as well. I then immediately bought 7-11 single issues only to find out 12 will be the final issue.

I really hope something comes of all the world building they did. The art is top notch. I just want a little more from the story. The war flashbacks were very serious and well done in Vol. 1. Hope they can do more with that.

I want to read classic Cosmic stuff on MU-any recommendations? Celestials, Abstracts-all that stuff.

Megatron

Lawl.

tumblr_md3397yex41rikbvoo1_500.png

Collected issue 4-7 for Bryan Q. Miller Batgirl (going to spread out on getting through this series bit by bit), and oh man was the arc with Batman and Robin so good. Yeah Damian And Steph sure has a dynamic already heh, and there were even a couple nice scenes with Dick and Barbara.

So yeah, 7 issues in, and this has been highly enjoyable. Also, the Steph vs Livewire (from the animated series!) was pretty funny.

Yeah, already got this bad boy pre ordered. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401269109/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Catching up on The Mighty Thor.

It's crazy how much I don't really care about chapters that Russell Dauterman isn't on. Jason Aaron is a great writer and the comic would still be good without Russell Dauterman, but Russell elevates this to a must read.

Megatron

I want to read classic Cosmic stuff on MU-any recommendations? Celestials, Abstracts-all that stuff.
How classic are we talking? I would probably start with Fantastic Four 48-50, then move to the Kree-skrull war (roughly Avengers 89-97)

What specifically do you want to read?

Dalek

How classic are we talking? I would probably start with Fantastic Four 48-50, then move to the Kree-skrull war (roughly Avengers 89-97)

What specifically do you want to read?

Basically anything explaining the origins of the Celestials or Abstracts-Eternity, etc.

I've a wierd feeling she is gone completely and the book won't last much longer after those two issues. Just a feeling. A sad feeling too. DC needs to get her on Zatanna.

I feel like Marvel is just cancelling and replacing books before really giving them a chance, now. If the first few issues don't do huge numbers, they finish the story arc then kill it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
VRzr4Rs.jpg

I know covers usually aren't that representative of what's actually in the comic but showing Thor and Lady Thor on the cover and then him not even showing up in kinda douchey...

At the end of Thor 18# you see the covers for 19, 20 and 21, with 2 of them having Guy Thor on there but am I supposed to believe they're not bullshitting me this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom