• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The Unworthy Thor #2

SO GOOD

Damn shame that this was just a mini series and not an on-going, it would've been great to have a Lady Thor and Guy Thor on-goings at the same time.

[edit]

What's this War Thor nonsense? Why not just make Guy Thor Thor again rather than introduce yet another Thor? Gonna be like Spider-Man and have a million different Thors running around. While I do love me some Jason Aaron's Thor runs, I think this is a misstep and just kinda dumb.

Vic_Viper

The Unworthy Thor #2

SO GOOD

Damn shame that this was just a mini series and not an on-going, it would've been great to have a Lady Thor and Guy Thor on-goings at the same time.

[edit]

What's this War Thor nonsense? Why not just make Guy Thor Thor again rather than introduce yet another Thor? Gonna be like Spider-Man and have a million different Thors running around. While I do love me some Jason Aaron's Thor runs, I think this is a misstep and just kinda dumb.

You do realize their is a frog that is a Thor right lol? While I do agree with you there was a time when Odin handed out hammers left and right during JMS's run if I recall.

Still catching up on Aaron's Thor run. Love Ribic's art on the book!

If you all can, track down The Best We Could Do. A memoir by Thi Bui about her family and their journey in Vietnam, from Vietnam, to America and in America. Beautifully written and drawn.

BnKd8Yx.jpg

Prez #1 and #2 were hilarious. And a little bit depressing because it didn't feel like that much of a parody. This panel had me dying.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just read the Secret Empire FCBD issue.
Turns out, it was a way better prologue then the FCBD issues of the last years. Interesting way to tell the story, terrific art. Really hyped me up for the Main Event.

Spectacular Spider-Man was pretty cool. A couple of jokes were eh but I loved the dialogues and Zdarsky didnt pulled a cringy how do you do, fellow kids like Slott did with his Autotune and Spotify Playlist shit.
Still, I hope the new Trapster dies soon and gets replaced by the old one.

April order numbers.

Also:
Comichron has had a presence on Twitter for a long time, and occasionally there I field questions about the datasets here on the site. Yesterday's sales report for April generated a number due to the fact that, as noted, Batman #21 and Flash #21 saw their sales figures divided up into two entries each, owing to the fact that both issues had a lenticular cover variant priced at a dollar higher.

Owing to the bifurcation, Batman and Flash ended up being the second-and-fifth place comics of the month in unit terms, rather than first and second, which they would have been with identical cover prices.

The event boosts to Cap Steve, Cap Falcon etc are tiny and the X-Men books have already lost half their amount.

Woah Walker is on this? thought it was Bendis. and yea Walker handles serious issues quite well.

I now have faith in the book

Uh I hope so. I'm pretty sure, I don't think I've got your hopes up for nothing. Coming out of pm and if, I believe Walker is still with Luke, Brisson has Iron Fist, and Bendis has them both on Defenders.

Edit: Cool you found it. Yea, the art is fiiiiine. I like that layout, but the actual people etc are hmm, I feel like Cage is a book you want a lot of character to in the art. Cage is a cool guy, you want him to look and feel cool.

April order numbers.

Also:

The event boosts to Cap Steve, Cap Falcon etc are tiny and the X-Men books have already lost half their amount.
These sales fit into an overall pattern I've noticed, and I'm sure others have noticed too. While sales aren't as big at the top as they used to be, sales for smaller titles are much better. The 300th selling title sells almost 5k. That's way better than it used to be 10 years ago.

Oddly enough I don't see much of a pattern in tpbs and HCs. Might be because sales of those from regular bookstores and amazon aren't counted.

Messi

If Sejic was DC exclusive and could still work on Mercy / Death Vigil that would be the best news. He is perfect for DC.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Unworthy Thor #2

SO GOOD

Aaron's Thor run made me a fan of the character. I'm FINALLY caught up on Mighty and got around to reading Unworthy. What a ride.

So does everyone within the DCU know about the Endless? Or rather, are they common knowledge? Because re-reading that Secret Six run, Riddler says to "put a bullet in the little Endless' kneecap," referring to Black Alice. I assume it's a joke about her being goth, but still.

dan2026

So does everyone within the DCU know about the Endless? Or rather, are they common knowledge? Because re-reading that Secret Six run, Riddler says to "put a bullet in the little Endless' kneecap," referring to Black Alice. I assume it's a joke about her being goth, but still.
I doubt it.

I feel it's on again/off again if the Endless are even canon in the DC Universe.

Messi

So just for my own knowledge, what does the contract stop him from doing?

Nothing it seems. It was more like Top Cow helping him and his wife out financially when they were going through bad times and rewarding them for long time loyalty. He calls that place their home and he will never stop doing stuff for them

Nothing it seems. It was more like Top Cow helping him and his wife out financially when they were going through bad times and rewarding them for long time loyalty. He calls that place their home and he will never stop doing stuff for them

Might just be that he has to do a certain amount of work for them a year, in that case.

mreddie

Woah Walker is on this? thought it was Bendis. and yea Walker handles serious issues quite well.

I now have faith in the book

the art seems basic, but I am still in http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2017/04/19/marvel-preview-luke-cage-1/

I do hope Walker calms it down on the magic though, PM/IF was oddly very magic heavy.

It's expected. BUT. These are goddamn X-Men books. They should not be hovering around 60k.

What happens when you have no top writers.

Sandfox

It's expected. BUT. These are goddamn X-Men books. They should not be hovering around 60k.
For what the books are I would say it's a fine result. Marvel has some other things they need to work through first And even then I don't see it happening in the current market.

Started the day with the best of intentions to use my free time to read comics and ended up playing Prey for hours lol. Going to read another chapter if this crazy Grim Death novel then read a trade. I'm thinking Black Hammer, I've heard so much about it.

Aizo

Banned
Started the day with the best of intentions to use my free time to read comics and ended up playing Prey for hours lol. Going to read another chapter if this crazy Grim Death novel then read a trade. I'm thinking Black Hammer, I've heard so much about it.
I also meant to read a lot of comics. Ended up spending a lot of time on the train and finishing Nailbiter. That was pretty much it, though.

Aizo

Banned
Awesome, how was the series as a whole then? Williamson is someone I've still not really dabbled with at all.
I honestly don't know that I'd recommend it. It's one of the first things I started reading when I got back into American comics a few years ago (living in Japan made comics far too expensive, so I only read manga before getting a tablet and going digital). I really like Horror and mystery, but I think it kind of disappoints in both regards. It's definitely very entertaining, but it relies on teasing the conclusion of the biggest mystery for so long. Fun, but definitely not an essential comic. Also, noticed more typos than I usually see. That bugged me. Birthright is still the best thing I've read by Williamson.

I think my biggest criticism of his writing is that none of his characters feel very special. They aren't really fleshed out.

I honestly don't know that I'd recommend it. It's one of the first things I started reading when I got back into American comics a few years ago (living in Japan made comics far too expensive, so I only read manga before getting a tablet and going digital). I really like Horror and mystery, but I think it kind of disappoints in both regards. It's definitely very entertaining, but it relies on teasing the conclusion of the biggest mystery for so long. Fun, but definitely not an essential comic. Also, noticed more typos than I usually see. That bugged me. Birthright is still the best thing I've read by Williamson.

I think my biggest criticism of his writing is that none of his characters feel very special. They aren't really fleshed out.

That's a shame! Folks are pretty high on Birthright in here, but like you I like creepy books so I'd always had my eye on Nailbiter as something maybe worth checking out.

Owzers

Finished Legion, episode 5 was definitely the peak and I wasn't as fond of the rest, but the last moment of Last Man on Earth's season finale was great.

Secret Warriors #1
Cool first issue. Pretty good all around, though the cliffhanger ending left me wanting. Not sure if I like their take on Karnak, but I'm willing to see this out. And I doubt
Yo-yo is actually dead. She's not a major character, but even then it's too unceremonious. Like that they kept the bald look.

Secret Warriors #1
Cool first issue. Pretty good all around, though the cliffhanger ending left me wanting. Not sure if I like their take on Karnak, but I'm willing to see this out. And I doubt
Yo-yo is actually dead. She's not a major character, but even then it's too unceremonious. Like that they kept the bald look.
Doesn't the issue start with every non-Quake Hickman Secret Warrior dying to the Wrecking Crew to make room for the Inhuman Secret Warriors?

Doesn't the issue start with every non-Quake Hickman Secret Warrior dying to the Wrecking Crew to make room for the Inhuman Secret Warriors?
I don't think so. Only names used are Ellis, Yo-yo, and Slingshot. Two of those are the same person, and the other I don't recall. The rest just seem like regular agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom