• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
I don't get it. Does Marvel really keep launching these books thinking they are gonna be successful? It's pretty obvious they are gonna bomb.

Instead of doing good business and actually marketing the books so people know about them and pre-order them, Marvel likes to spend their money shipping gazillions of free copies of any book they launch, so it looks like they're doing good business while making approximately no one know that the books are available for sale.

This, of course, makes the books seem worthless, since no one seems to be interested, and they get the book canceled right quick. Which in turn, makes the next book seem even shakier a proposition, since you know that it's probably gonna get cut too.

And so on, and so forth.

mreddie

Sometimes the direct market is a pain in the ass and comics kiss its ass for no reason.

Then Marvel gives books to C listers and you think, "Maybe the Direct Market is right..."

And then you remember the direct market has a very isolated audience.

Who even buys Marvel anymore?

Just these guys

KXap94no.jpg

Hey I'm reading that right now, too! Only like seven issues in right now, but I'm LOVING IT.

Council of Reed ist still a book I think about so often.

I need to get around to reading it some day. I'd be surprised if I didn't like it after loving Hickman's Avengers run.

If I had to complain about something, the art isn't superb. A few dodgy panels and some weird faces.

But everything else is perfection. I mean, this damn story just keeps building on itself each issue. There's so much momentum building up.

shingi70

Banned
That Marvel news sucks, Legacy is supposed to be a big deal, but it seems like the Water I'd already poison.

It still boggles my mind that after secret wars, Marvel couldn't even a new 52 level relaunch, which by all considered was pretty half assed.

Messi

Whoa, Prez #1 - #6 was great! Such a funny (and sad) comic. The deGrasse Tyson and Zizek stand-ins were hilarious. Love the art too.

Also, this senator (and the anchor) made me rage.

Whatever happened to the follow-up minis?

It didn't sell and they cancelled them and the story wrapped with a whimper in Catwomans election night one shot.

Man, every anime thread in the OT makes me feel like I should change to a non-Manga avatar. But I've had this one for ever.

It didn't sell and they cancelled them and the story wrapped with a whimper in Catwomans election night one shot.

I heard about the original cancellation of the last 6 issues. But I thought they were going to release the second half as OGNs or something? Are those dead too? Damn. -_-

Messi

Man, every anime thread in the OT makes me feel like I should change to a non-Manga avatar. But I've had this one for ever.

I heard about the original cancellation of the last 6 issues. But I thought they were going to release the second half as OGNs or something? Are those dead too? Damn. -_-

Dead dead dead.

error4041

I feel that Marvel needs to do mass purge of their ongoing series. have only one Iron Man book, only one Captain America book, only one Dr. Strange book, keep the number of Avengers teams down to like three. build lines more slowly, don't just luanch 3 books with a connected theme and expect them all to do well like the Daredevil line.

Messi

List of gross misconduct

Batwoman #3
Batman #23
Flash #22
Cave Carson #8
Green Arrow #23
Harley Quinn #20
Justice League #21
Nightwing #21
Super Sons #4
Superman #23
Teen Titans #8
Trinity #9

Birthright #24
Curse Words #5
Grrl Scouts Magic Socks #1
Low #18

Daredevil #20
Generation X #1
Invincible Iron Man #7
Luke Cage #1
Mighty Thor #19
Royals #3
Secret Empire #2
Ultimates 2 #7
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #20
US Avengers #6
X-Men Gold #4

4 Kids Walk into A Bank #4
Archie #20
Jughead #15
Red Sonja #5

-
Image letting the squad down this week.

LOL. Marvel is working you

enough that they continue to put out poop

How? If I am enjoying the books? Not everybody is sick of Marvel as some of you. It gets tiring tbh.

Finished up volume 1 of Black Hammer. Brilliant stuff, an absolute winner, I love the last issue that's like an issue of tales from the crypt or something. Just a great book, if you love classic superheroes or just good stories, I'm not sure how you couldn't love it.

Sandfox

The same thing happened with the Priest Crew book and it sucks. Black Panther shouldn't have spinoff books.

Before Sandfox comes, it's obvious, there's no direction at fucking all. While this was planned as a mini, it's just a just in case the series bombs or dips in sales.

No one was asking for a another Doc Strange book with his own team. Nor a Solo book, nor a Prowler book.
Yeah, ANAD and Marvel Now 2016 have had zero direction.

Marvel assumes people are going to buy most of their line despite the better books and prices at other brands.
I doubt they expect people to buy that many books. The problem is that Marvel needs to have a certain number of books releasing every month and they chose a really poor way to do so. DC has double shipping and their imprints while Marvel just has Star Wars so they end up creating books that shouldn't exist.

I can't believe DC got Ta-Nehisi Coates to do a Black Adam ongoing building hype for the movie.
That would sell worse than Cyborg.

TheFlow

Banned
The same thing happened with the Priest Crew book and it sucks. Black Panther shouldn't have spinoff books.

Yeah, ANAD and Marvel Now 2016 have had zero direction.

I doubt they expect people to buy that many books. The problem is that Marvel needs to have a certain number of books releasing every month and they chose a really poor way to do so. DC has double shipping and their imprints while Marvel just has Star Wars so they end up creating books that shouldn't exist.

True.
I am curious how Coates is taking the cancellation news.

List of gross misconduct

How? If I am enjoying the books? Not everybody is sick of Marvel as some of you. It gets tiring tbh.

Enjoying a book doesn't mean it is a quality book. It's your money but acting surprised when people take note of your choices is something.. but aren't you the same guy from last month who they weren't buying any Marvel books till they bring back digital codes?

Messi

True.
I am curious how Coates is taking the cancellation news.

enjoying a book doesn't mean it is a quality book. but aren't you the same guy from last month who they weren't buying any Marvel books till they bring back digital codes?

Indeed, and now I am buying them as I was before they removed them.

All I care about in a book is that it is enjoyable to me. I couldnt care less if its considered a quality book.

Taking note of my choices? Thats what you call it? You said marvel is working me. What is that implying?

TheFlow

Banned
Indeed, and now I am buying them as I was before they removed them.

All I care about in a book is that it is enjoyable to me. I couldnt care less if its considered a quality book.
but aren't you the guy who says they barely read everything they got because they buy so much. Break the cycle Messi free yourself!

I'm sure he's not happy, but the book did extremely bad.
yea. Doctor strange team up book did better. Coates is learning what's it like to work for a comic company.

ElNarez

Banned

I mean, this is the week when DC showed three whole pages of the King-Gerads Mister Miracle BEFORE IT WAS EVEN SOLICITED, and that book comes out in goddamn AUGUST.

They'll hype the fuck out of any book with at least one huge name on it.

Sandfox

but aren't you the guy who says they barely read everything they got because they buy so much. Break the cycle Messi free yourself!

yea. Doctor strange team up book did better. Coates is learning what's it like to work for a comic company.

And what it's like to write comics starring black characters.

I mean, this is the week when DC showed three whole pages of the King-Gerads Mister Miracle BEFORE IT WAS EVEN SOLICITED, and that book comes out in goddamn AUGUST.

They'll hype the fuck out of any book with at least one huge name on it.
I'm not sure if Coates would be the best writer for that book.

Sandfox

true. David Walker+Luke cage solo should make things right. Only person I trust Besides Bendis/Coates to do Cage right.

We'll see how that does, though Luke Cage is a part of Legacy at least. In terms of quality I expect it to be like Walker's Shaft books, which are really good.

Messi

well this is going how I predicted it would go

Meanwhile

__YyyRONWn2D1qLWFFtKMMfTTNvvkBSRqzK4A5dPMgU.jpg

Messi/Suarez clever enough to avoid appearing in this shit. Neymar wouldn't miss the chance if you paid him.

We'll see how that does, though Luke Cage is a part of Legacy at least. In terms of quality I expect it to be like Walker's Shaft books, which are really good.

...and cancelled on or before 2 arcs are finished.

Vibranium

Banned
Marvel editorial needs a shake-up, shuffle Alonso out and put someone new in the EiC position. So many books lately like Black Panther and the Crew that had zero chance from the start. This is why I'm actually happy there is no Winter Soldier solo book these days. Marvel couldn't even properly launch one on time with a movie.

Just these guys

Wait, what is Rafa=FedKilla doing at a Deadpool convention?
miss him, he was a funny dude

ElNarez

Banned
I'm not sure if Coates would be the best writer for that book.

Yeah, a book about Black Adam, the supervillain who's a leader of his own country would only deal with states, violence done in the name of those states, slavery, culture, and a whole host of stuff Coates would have no idea how to write about.

Sandfox

Marvel editorial needs a shake-up, shuffle Alonso out and put someone new in the EiC position. So many books lately like Black Panther and the Crew that had zero chance from the start. This is why I'm actually happy there is no Winter Soldier solo book these days. Marvel couldn't even properly launch one on time with a movie.

Wait, what is Rafa=FedKilla doing at a Deadpool convention?
miss him, he was a funny dude
There actually was a Winter Soldier mini by Remnder at the time.

With Alonso, I want to see what the full plan for Legacy is first.

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah, a book about Black Adam, the supervillain who's a leader of his own country would only deal with states, violence done in the name of those states, slavery, culture, and a whole host of stuff Coates would have no idea how to write about.

do we really need a Black Adam book?

It literally does. Quality is subjective.

to a certain extent. Otherwise we wouldn't have classics and masterpieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom