• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
to a certain extent. Otherwise we wouldn't have classics and masterpieces.
They're still not factually good. You can't measure "good". You can't prove "good". You can measure that a lot of people consider something to be good. You can measure that something has many more positive reviews than negative reviews.

Good doesn't even mean the same thing from person to person. People look for different things out of stories.

Sandfox

It's going to be interesting seeing what other books are missing from Marvel's August Solicitations. It's messed up for the writers and fans of those books, but I actually like that so much superfluous books are getting axed and mostly replaced with minis.

I understand the backlash of Secret Empire, but to automatically reduce all "heroes turn bad" stories as following in it's footsteps is the most misguided argument ever.

TheFlow

Banned
They're still not factually good. You can't measure "good". You can't prove "good". You can measure that a lot of people consider something to be good. You can measure that something has many more positive reviews than negative reviews.

Good doesn't even mean the same thing from person to person. People look for different things out of stories.
Again say it with me " to a certain extent"

Each medium has it its own rules for what dictates something as quality. For example

Comic quality can definitely be measured from the writing, penciling, coloring, bubbles, layouts and ect..

So if you said right now King's Vision run was poor quality that would be a lie. Learn the difference between opinion, and the actual quality of a product.

Whether someone enjoys said product has nothing to do with fucking quality. If I enjoyed a fast burger does that mean it was a quality burger?

Messi-enjoys most of Marvel's output. does that mean most of marvel's output is quality? lol fuck no. just means he enjoys most of those books.

If someone enjoys a story cool, but there is more than just a story that dictates the quality of a book. Hell there are people who read legit bad comics here so to each there own.

Again say it with me " to a certain extent"

Each medium has it its own rules for what dictates something as quality. For example

Comic quality can definitely be measured from the writing, penciling, coloring, bubbles, layouts and ect..

So if you said right now King's Vision run was poor quality that would be a lie. Learn the difference between opinion, and the actual quality of a product.

Whether someone enjoys said product has nothing to do with fucking quality. If I enjoyed a fast burger does that mean it was a quality burger?

Messi-enjoys most of Marvel's output. does that mean most of marvel's output is quality? lol fuck no. just means he enjoys most of those books.

If someone enjoys a story cool, but there is more than just a story that dictates the quality of a book. Hell there are people who read legit bad comics here so to each there own.
No, not "to a certain extent". To no extent. It is a fact that quality is subjective.

A thing can't be "good" as a fact. It can be good to you. It can be good to many. It can be good to critics. It can only be a fact that someone finds it to be good, not that it is good. There are no degrees to this. It is entirely subjective.

TheFlow

Banned
No, not "to a certain extent". To no extent. It is a fact that quality is subjective.

A thing can't be "good" as a fact. It can be good to you. It can be good to many. It can be good to critics. It can only be a fact that someone finds it to be good, not that it is good. There are no degrees to this. It is entirely subjective.

to an extent.

read my post fully please

Messi

Marvel have many great titles right now that I hate seeing people act like it's a complete dumpster fire and has nothing of value. Sure some don't like the core direction of the line but many of the smaller titles deserve praise.

Marvel have many great titles right now that I hate seeing people act like it's a complete dumpster fire and has nothing of value. Sure some don't like the core direction of the line but many of the smaller titles deserve praise.

They need synergy and brand alignment! The smaller stories are distracting the core from going back to how it was for the last 50 years. I need my familiarity dammit.

TheFlow

Banned

Another man's trash is another man's treasure

Marvel needs a "less is more" strategy for a bit. That's all.

Focus on your core characters, stop having heroes fight each other, and let storylines build organically. Trim the fat.

People love Marvel heroes and villains. Give us a reason to keep buying the books.

People gonna people. Like I always say, it's a pendulum. A few years back, people were ragging on DC for New 52. You know what? New 52 had some good books too. Line-wide issues are noticeable, but of course Marvel is still putting out good books. In a few years when the thread is ragging on DC Comics again, DC will still be putting out good books.

Just this week, X-Men Blue, Deadpool, and Old Man Logan are great. Ms. Marvel and Uncanny Avengers were good. Avengers was actually a ton of fun. It was a good week.

TheFlow

Banned

Focus on your core characters, stop having heroes fight each other, and let storylines build organically. Trim the fat.

People love Marvel heroes and villains. Give us a reason to keep buying the books.

pretty much.

nobody is going to invest into a universe like Marvel if everything is all jacked up. Announcing another soft reboot hurt sales for pre-existing books.

That's not the expression.
"One man's trash is another man's treasure" close enough

I think you're going way too easy on them.

The problem with Marvel is a problem with Disney. Marvel shouldn't be operating for the purposes of being a successful publishing division, because the bigger picture is what's so much more important. They stand to make billions off movies and merchandising and all this other stuff that makes the comics publishing look like a drop in the bucket. But those comics are the source material for these things that actually make the money, so for the comics division, they should focus strictly on quality and paying creators very well. Because attracting good creators and letting them do good work pays off later when you have better material to adapt for more lucrative endeavors. They should see the entire comics division as an investment, not as its own business.

Marvel needs to have a overhaul on how they do business and how they present comics to people. DC knows learned how to do this in a way, but Marvel on the other kept going back to number ones as a starting point and then canceling them after six issues.

TheFlow

Banned
Because I enjoy their titles? Should I shit on them because that's what people are doing at the moment?
A lot of people enjoy their titles here including me, doesn't mean they don't deserve the criticism. Marvel had this problem for a while, but it is becoming more clear thanks to DC kicking their teeth in.

how else you think you got your digital codes back?

Overall company behavior doesn't equate to bad individual books, and even if I didn't think that, who the hell are we to tell you what to enjoy.

Messi

A lot of people enjoy their titles here including me, doesn't mean they don't deserve the criticism. Marvel had this problem for a while, but it is becoming more clear thanks to DC kicking their teeth in.

how else you think you got your digital codes back?

I never said they didn't have problems or deserve criticism. I actively don't enjoy the current cap stuff.

It's also worth noting. DC riding high? Only a year old. Rebirth was May 2016 and prior to that, we were pillorying DC.

It'll be fine in either direction folks. Marvel isn't going out of business. DC will eventually screw it up again.

No. I just think you're the way I used to be. Where you're less judgemental of books because you want to like them.

Nah, that's nonsense. I'd guess that sentiment is way Messi feels the need to defend them. They have good books. The line is another problem.

I never said they don't have good books. But if Messi is buying most of the line, I'm pretty sure he's buying some stinkers, too.

Oh, most of the line? Yeah, about half of the line needs to be trimmed and they keep throwing out a lot of books that are DOA. Foolkiller, Star-Lord, Gamora? Really?

TheFlow

Banned
It's also worth noting. DC riding high? Only a year old. Rebirth was May 2016 and prior to that, we were pillorying DC.

It'll be fine in either direction folks. Marvel isn't going out of business. DC will eventually screw it up again.[/QUOTE]
not anytime soon, and with Marvel doing the same shit again this fall does it matter?

Messi

I never said they don't have good books. But if Messi is buying most of the line, I'm pretty sure he's buying some stinkers, too.

I drop books I don't enjoy. I'm just buying secret empire this week to see the art. I'm out after that. It's boring.

I dropped loads of image and DC books recently. I've found my interest in their lower down books is waning. DCs mainline is good though. Kinda the opposite of Marvel. Image is stagnant.

It'll be fine in either direction folks. Marvel isn't going out of business. DC will eventually screw it up again.

I get what you're trying to say, but this is a weirdass way to put it, lol. "Don't worry guys, the other publisher will be bad again someday!"

Oh, most of the line? Yeah, about half of the line needs to be trimmed and they keep throwing out a lot of books that are DOA. Foolkiller, Star-Lord, Gamora? Really?

I actually didn't think Gamora was too bad. I was surprised they killed it when the new Guardians movie was just about to come out, though.

not anytime soon, and with Marvel doing the same shit again this fall does it matter?

Who said anything about it being anytime soon? These are multi-year swings.

I get what you're trying to say, but this is a weirdass way to put it, lol. "Don't worry guys, the other publisher will be bad again someday!"

Because it's true. I've been collecting Marvel and DC since 1989. They have this odd dueling nature where one gets ahead, gets cocky, and then screws it all up, while the company that's behind actually thinks about what they need to do to be successful.

There seems to be this idea that DC Comics riding high is baked into DC's processes and DC has always known what to do to get to this point. They haven't. Two years ago, the tables were turned. A few years before that, reversed again. So on and so forth. I don't take joy in it, because again, I collect both. It just is what it is.

Injustice 2 preload tonight.

tumblr_ok1cxndwqL1udouqko1_500.gif

Messi

I actually didn't think Gamora was too bad. I was surprised they killed it when the new Guardians movie was just about to come out, though.

It was way late and they just wanted it out of the way. Can't imagine Nicole Pearlman comes cheap either. They just wanted to avoid the bad press of cancelling a book by the Guardians writer before #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom