• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Rocket #1 was great. Al Ewing was a good pick for this.

-Weapon X is a X-Force book, but more of a thriller akin to Terminator, except none of the charm. Pak feels like he might be gettin the voices down and Land's art is surprisingly okay (he does action well). Right now it's just okay, but it does have plenty of action.
-X-Men Gold is a poorly attemped imitation of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men with Claremont's post-Phoenix squad.
-X-Men Blue feels fresh yet familiar. It has the original five X-Men, time-displaced, allied with Magneto to take out mutantkind's deadliest enemies, whether they be mutants themselves or otherwise. The team has a completelt fresh dynamic and feels like a remix of old X-Men. It's just a solid superhero book.
-Jean Grey is about a girl trying to reclaim her own identity in the face of something she's destined to become. It had a pretty solid first issue and makes Jean an interesting character that isn't just "Everyone loves Jean and she's perfect and the greatest OMG Phoenix!"

Agree 100% on this. Only Blue and Jean Grey have been good.

Wanderer5

Well think I be using a bit of amazon money for Batman Detective Comics Vol 2 and Infinity Gauntlet. $5 for IG with the kindle & comixology option.

VanWinkle

Small but good haul arrived today.

3ZMv09.jpg

Yeah she been only been Spoiler currently in this universe hasn't she?

And Tim wasn't a Robin (well he is Red Robin)?
From what I understand;
-Dick, Jason, and Damien were all Robin
-Tim immediately took the name Red Robin instead, but he still hung with Bats for awhile, so he may as well have been Robin
-Stephanie has only ever been Spoiler.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
How's Reborn?

I've been meaning to check it out but I never see anyone talking about it. Literally the only place I've seen people discuss it is on Greg Capullo's twitter when he posts new WIP drawings and that's all.

VanWinkle

Just read the contents that were in Fantastic Four by Hickman Omnibus Vol. 1 (via Marvel Unlimited). Incredibly good. Like, MAN is it good. I'm a firm believer in Hickman and am now really excited for his Avengers/New Avengers run in omnibus format. I will actually be buying the second omnibus since I'm able to get it cheap, and in the event that maybe the first volume eventually gets reprinted.

Not getting a job: sucky

Only knowing that I didn't get the job because I have a friend who works there and knows that they never would have contacted me: real sucky

The hunt continues.

Sorry to hear that. There's very few things that piss me off more than getting nothing at all after an interview. It takes seconds to write a quick e-mail to people that were unsuccessful.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Caught up with Paper Girls

Man, while I really love Cliff Chiang's artwork on it, I think my favorite part of the art is Matt Wilson's gorgeous coloring.

His work on Thor is beautiful, too.

Aizo

Banned
May 16th, and don't do that lol
Wow. That's quite the coincidence. So casual about it, Messi! Happy birthday!!! Thanks for being nice and making me feel welcome in ComicsGAF!

The first like five times I came in here, I think I only pissed people off haha.

Owzers

Cmx unlimited trial got me to read comics, all of Girls over the course of two days. Next will be the fade out vol 1 and birthright vol 2.

Girls was entertaining but slightly too goofy?

TheFlow

Banned
X-men prime.

not worth the 5 bucks, glad I got it for free. You could of got this from reading the #1 from the new books.

Iron Fist #1

great start to a new series. People if you liked the Brubacker/Fraction run check this out. Amazing fight panels.

Megatron

Can I get some wonder woman trade recommendations? Want to give a couple to my sister for her birthday on the 31st (just a few days before the movie comes out) is rebirth good?

Rebirth is good. I love Azzarello's run, even if it's been pushed off the table continuity wise. Top notch self contained 6 volume series. Legend Of WW will probably resemble the movie a decent amount.

From the Red Cube newsletter:
In recent news, Jordie has took on a pretty big book, a new series for Marvel. She's working on the first few pages soon. The artist is an industry legend who's work I grew up loving, so it's going to be really interesting to see Jordie tackle this artist's work. The new book will take the place of MOON KNIGHT, she's ending her time with Marc Spector as the series wraps up with #14 :'-(

She has also wrapped up her time on DOCTOR STRANGE & THE SORCERERS SUPREME but will be following Javier and Alberto onto their next project, to be announced.
Did we know Sorcerers was cancelled?

TheFlow

Banned
Bug #1

Ok guys I gotta say Bug is one hell of a book.

you got Lee on story.

Mike on pencils

and Laura on colorist

the Allerd triple threat.

great origin story for bug, we are caught up what he has done in the DC universe, where he is from, and how he met his demise. Then we get some crazy stuff.

Overall I loved it and is one of the stronger #1 to pop out of Young animal. Makes me feel like I am reading x-statix/i-zombie again.

Megatron

yes it is. Don't forget B2g1 free for all rebirth trades at B&N.

Didnt know about that!

Rebirth is good. I love Azzarello's run, even if it's been pushed off the table continuity wise. Top notch self contained 6 volume series. Legend Of WW will probably resemble the movie a decent amount.

Wonder Woman: Earth One

This is also a great one. My GF loved it. I didn't recommend it because the story hasn't been finished, and vol.2 probably won't even release this year.

yea.

Legend of Wonder Woman

I will look into these. Thanks for the recommendations.

Can I get some wonder woman trade recommendations? Want to give a couple to my sister for her birthday on the 31st (just a few days before the movie comes out) is rebirth good?

I've really enjoyed Rebirth Wonder Woman, but I'd also recommend Greg Rucka's original run. Vol 1 is out already, Vol 2's out in July. You get 'The Hiketeia' in Vol 1 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom