• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really enjoyed rereading vol 1 of Animal Man. The whole team really go full on in from issue one, and damn, some of the body horror stuff truly is grotesque. Foreman's style probably wasn't to everyone's liking on the book, but it was pitch perfect for what they were striving toward. The way Lemire juggles redefining the lore, redefining Buddy and his daughter's relationship and the actual action and use of his Animal powers is great.

Kirby is here!
DAeG96HXUAAaEZQ.jpg

mreddie

There is are Marvel titles doing badly then there is ... this. I guess Marvel should have seen it coming that no one would want a Fury Jr book. But I would have said the same about Vision .

Thing is though, once WOM got out when the first 2 issues of Vision came out, they were all over the place.

Fury, all we hear about is the art.

Sandfox

There is are Marvel titles doing badly then there is ... this. I guess Marvel should have seen it coming that no one would want a Fury Jr book. But I would have said the same about Vision .
The Fury book was made because Robinson personally asked for it since nobody else was using the character. The quality seems to be there at least.

ElNarez

Banned
Thing is though, once WOM got out when the first 2 issues of Vision came out, they were all over the place.

A lot of marketing for Vision came from DC making King their next superstar writer, really.

Again, Marvel is just sending books out to die by not even acknowledging there's a world outside of the bubble of weekly floppies.

mreddie

The Fury book was made because Robinson personally asked for it since nobody else was using the character. The quality seems to be there at least.

He did the same with Scarlet Witch.

A lot of marketing for Vision came from DC making King their next superstar writer, really.

Again, Marvel is just sending books out to die by not even acknowledging there's a world outside of the bubble of weekly floppies.

DC gave him more attention when Omega came out and I wanna say Marvel only mentioned Babylon.

Marvel's problem is that even casual buyers get this now. No one believes that a series featuring a C list character is going to get to double digits so they may as well wait and get the trade if the hype is good. They've made everything not featuring an Avenger or X-Men a mini.

MG310

Big Bang, Yikes

Seems like they wanted to make the change to line up with the movies but also never really made any effort to make him a player in the larger MU like the original.

They should have just acquired Ultimate Fury after Secret Wars and went from there at this point.

Sandfox

Marvel's problem is that even casual buyers get this now. No one believes that a series featuring a C list character is going to get to double digits so they may as well wait and get the trade if the hype is good. They've made everything not featuring an Avenger or X-Men a mini.
If a book sells poorly odds are its trade will also do poorly.

One problem Marvel has is people not believing that books will have a long life and they'll need to disprove that with Legacy and legacy numbering that sticks.

I think I noticed people commenting about the likeness looking off, but that still looks good anyway.

That works out perfectly. When the WW movie bombs and kills Gal Gadot's career, it can just be a regular Wonder Woman statue with a random likeness. Honestly, Premium Formats are always a crapshoot because you never know how close to the prototype they're going to be at release. The Gal Gadot likenesses in statues have been all over the fucking place. The closest I've seen is on Kotobukiya's upcoming 1/6 movie Wonder Woman.

Vibranium

Banned
People don't care for Fury Jr.

Yep. Great concept and creative team, bad character. I'll still read through it sometime and probably enjoy the book (I mean, look at my avatar).

Put Jim Steranko on a classic Nick Fury miniseries and market that, it would sell better I bet. I have been wanting Marvel to do this for ages and Jim has said on Twitter that he would be willing to revisit the character.

Wanderer5

That works out perfectly. When the WW movie bombs and kills Gal Gadot's career, it can just be a regular Wonder Woman statue with a random likeness. Honestly, Premium Formats are always a crapshoot because you never know how close to the prototype they're going to be at release. The Gal Gadot likenesses in statues have been all over the fucking place. The closest I've seen is on Kotobukiya's upcoming 1/6 movie Wonder Woman.

Don't say that, we can't have the first possibly solid DECU film bomb!

But yeah the kotobukiya one looks to nailed the likeness the most.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Down to my last issue of X-Factor. I really love this series. It has easily become my favorite mutie book. I've been in heaven the last 10 months or so bouncing back and forth between X-Factor, Cosmic Marvel, and my Image stuff.

With X-Factor and the Cosmic stuff now done I'm looking to start some new stuff. I'm thinking Whedon's Astonishing and Posehn/Dugan's Deadpool run.

How were the other X-titles that launched with or near Astonishing? I don't remember which titles those were now but I'm sure one our X-Perts does.

It took me a few issues of Hopeless's All New X-Men to understand what he was doing. At first I thought his dialogue was really cheesy and shitty for some reason. Then I realized, no, only Scott, Bobby Hank and Warren talk like dweebs; Evan, Edie and Laura talk like normal people. That's actually pretty smart.

But look on the bright side, I'm almost done paying off that Daredevil.

That one looks great, too. But I try to avoid pieces that are part of a series, otherwise I'd be tempted to get the others too. Like I was seriously considering the Black Canary PF, but I'd want Huntress and Batgirl too.

mreddie

If a book sells poorly odds are its trade will also do poorly.

One problem Marvel has is people not believing that books will have a long life and they'll need to disprove that with Legacy and legacy numbering that sticks.

We only got Mockingbird selling well past the 2nd trade?

Wanderer5

That one looks great, too. But I try to avoid pieces that are part of a series, otherwise I'd be tempted to get the others too. Like I was seriously considering the Black Canary PF, but I'd want Huntress and Batgirl too.

Yeah series can be dangerous (even for smaller things heh), but think I have personally done well with that mostly heh. That said, I already considering looking at least Venom from the artfx+ Spiderman line sometime down the road via a discount lol. I think I could really pass on everything else on that line, but I dig Venom a lot, and this set up would be cool!

Spider-Man-Kotobukiya-Venom-ARTFX-Statue-2017-e1491431972617.jpg

That tongue is sooooo long through.

Speaking of Venom, one of the books on comixology unlimited that I definitely checking out is Birth of Venom. Looking forward to seeing more of Symbiote Spidey, and then the Symbiote finding Brock.

In the same month Vision #3 shipped, Marvel included the full first issue at no extra charge in the back of Spider-Man/Deadpool #1, which was the third book for that month after The Walking Dead #150 and Secret Wars #9.

Wanderer5

Apparently there been some talk of possibly making another Spider-man line for artfx+ too, gah. Maybe more of Spidey's rogue gallery will get in, since it just Carnage and Venom for the current lineup (with 5 heroes).

Just go in for the Venom PF. Only $625.

Only $625, okay you convince me!! Actually, Venom fans that looks into these higher end figures have some options recently, cause there also the Prime 1 and XM studios statue too.

But I am good with the artfx+ one.:p

Wanderer5

The Prime1 exclusive version actually comes with three different portraits.

Dat order of portraits is perfect :p, and the McFarlane style head is really good. I read that the XM studios one ended up being delayed cause apparently the McFarlane head for that one got screwed up a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom