• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephidel

Mutants have been on the brink of extinction for awhile, so unless they bred like rabbits the past few years, it's hard to think of a plot device that doesn't involve time-traveling to replenish the mutant numbers.
They already had that plot device. The Phoenix magically re-mutated (some of?) the people No More Mutants 'normalised' and has spurred the creation of new mutants. There's a handful of the newbies in the JG (Shark Girl, Eyeboy, Sprite) ,Xavier (Time Girl, Healer Boy, Golden Balls) schools. The Hellfire school too (Lobster guy and Snot probably counted, Android guy probably didn't, and I'm not sure about Infestation). I assume perhaps the Pan-Asian/Latverian/Capt.Brit/etc. schools probably have a couple between them too.
And then BOTA kind of did the time travel thing too.

They already had that plot device. The Phoenix magically re-mutated (some of?) the people No More Mutants 'normalised' and has spurred the creation of new mutants. There's a handful of the newbies in the JG (Shark Girl, Eyeboy, Sprite) ,Xavier (Time Girl, Healer Boy, Golden Balls) schools. The Hellfire school too, although some of its were dubious. I assume perhaps the Pan-Asian/Latverian/Capt.Brit/etc. schools probably have a couple between them too.
And then BOTA kind of did the time travel thing too.

none of the de-powered mutants were re-powered by the phoenix. it just un-did whatever nonsense wanda put in place to keep new mutants from popping up.

So loads of previously unknown mutants were activated, but nobody whose powers were removed was reinstated..at least not by the phoenix. plenty of others had been repowered by plot devices already.

Ephidel

none of the de-powered mutants were re-powered by the phoenix. it just un-did whatever nonsense wanda put in place to keep new mutants from popping up.

So loads of previously unknown mutants were activated, but nobody whose powers were removed was reinstated..at least not by the phoenix. plenty of others had been repowered by plot devices already.
Ah okay, I hadn't realised none of the previous mutants were affected by the Phoenix, I guess I'd just assumed some of them would be.
Other than that, I do recall Totally-Not-Quicksilver's mist peddling and AoX's reality bending repowering a few.

Ah okay, I hadn't realised none of the previous mutants were affected by the Phoenix, I guess I'd just assumed some of them would be.
Other than that, I do recall Totally-Not-Quicksilver's mist peddling and AoX's reality bending repowering a few.

Professor X (and Magneto?) Got Re-powered by the M'Kraan crystal, Chamber and a few others got repowered by the blood of apocalypse- I know I'm forgetting some here and there.

In a bit of a contrary mood lately;

• Ten Grand will get one issue with the new artist to see how I like it.
  • Comic shop forgot to put Rat Queens #2 in my box and I haven't been able to find a copy.
  • Saga really needs to do something it's been really, really slow the last couple issues + the random delays they do with the title.
  • Red Sonja is one of the few indie books I'm still getting that hasn't been a disappointment yet so I'll probably get the anthology stuff this week.
  • DC titles are starting to weed themselves out by natural attrition / cancellation. The only ones I actively get that I feel bad about are Catwoman, Teen Titans and Superboy. At least Superboy has the potential to be OK? with the new writer coming on board who is going to seemingly clean house. I'll finish out Green Team / Vibe / Katana so I at least have full runs.

In a bit of a contrary mood lately;

• Ten Grand will get one issue with the new artist to see how I like it.
  • Comic shop forgot to put Rat Queens #2 in my box and I haven't been able to find a copy.
  • Saga really needs to do something it's been really, really slow the last couple issues + the random delays they do with the title.
  • Red Sonja is one of the few indie books I'm still getting that hasn't been a disappointment yet so I'll probably get the anthology stuff this week.
  • DC titles are starting to weed themselves out by natural attrition / cancellation. The only ones I actively get that I feel bad about are Catwoman, Teen Titans and Superboy. At least Superboy has the potential to be OK? with the new writer coming on board who is going to seemingly clean house. I'll finish out Green Team / Vibe / Katana so I at least have full runs.

At least it's going into a second printing so you'll get it sorted eventually.

Who could it be this time? It's probably X-Men getting a .NOW
Edit: I might be wrong, X-Men will be in the middle of an arc in Feb 2014
NfT3JCY.jpg

At least it's going into a second printing so you'll get it sorted eventually.

Yeah I know. I just hate second printings. Haaaaaaate. And I also hate that my comic shop, who is usually pretty on top of stuff and legit with my pull list, manages to mess up just often enough to frustrate me. It's not enough to make me switch to another store (yet) like I have done in the past.

I have one rule with my pull lists.
Don't fuck with my pull lists.

And then It'll always be the most random things at random times too; Oh, you've gotten all the Earth 2 Variant covers for the last year without fail??? We'll sell it to someone else because fuck you. Modified your pull list well in advance of a books release??? lolsorry no issue #1 for you release week.

They've built up some backlog of good will for making sure I got basically every 3D cover in September, but they spend it at an inflated rate compared to how they earn it. u__________u

ElNarez

Banned

I am so fucking hype for Pak/Kuder Action Comics so it's BACK IN THE LIST THERE'S TOO MUCH IN THE LIST THE LIST'S GONNA BLOW AAAAAAH

Action Comics #25 (Yeah, Kuder and Pak and shut up here's my money)
Batman Black & White #3
Batman Superman #5
Detective Comics #25
Earth 2 #17 (The preview doesn't seem this bad? Taylor can do some good? This might be my last issue I dunno)
Forever Evil #3
Green Arrow #25
Phantom Stranger #13 (I might not even pick it up but aaaah DeMatteis is good and this book is mad decent)
Superman Unchained #4
Swamp Thing #25 (BUY SWAMP THING YOU FUCKERS)
Trillium #4

East of West #7
Quantum and Woody #5
Uber #7 (I am so fucking hype for MORE SUPERPOWERED WAR HORRORS IN THE PACIFIC because I am fucked up in the head)

Amazing X-Men #1
Captain America #13
Captain Marvel #17
Iron Man #18 (I've read the Fatal Frontier comics and I got a new appreciation for Gillen's run on Iron Man but then again I'm a fucking fanboy of the guy and my opinion is not worth shit still, y'know, it's cool, Land's not drawing, could buy worse comics)
Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe #1 (Chris Hastings needs to write more comics)
Marvel Knights: Spider-Man #2
Mighty Avengers #3 (This book has no right being this good with this artist and YET)
X-Men Legacy #19 (This book's gonna end and it's gonna break my heart but holy fuck how does it go from that place)

e: OH SHIT forgot about Spidey

Nudull

Banned
That's a pretty sweet poster, SystemBug!

So I'm all alone reading Wild Blue Yonder, huh? Seriously.This is a serious question. None of y'all are reading freaking Wild Blue Yonder?

It's about, ok, these people in the future, right, and the earth has become too polluted to live on with any kind of quality of life. So the lucky few live on, like, big freighter planes. And different factions battle each other in the sky. Sky battles! And certain dudes are "guns" and they have, like, rockets and they fly through the air taking people out, oh man, it's so good. And it's also about a family and stuff and there is this spy but you kind of wonder if he's gonna be swayed to the other side. It's just so fun yet serious and different from anything else I'm reading. I encourage you folks to give it a look!

I want to get Wild Blue Yonder, but haven't been able to find the earlier issues, and I was kinda late to the party anyway, so I'm thinking of trade waiting. Same for Killjoys.

zeeaykay

What are peoples thoughts on Spider-man: Blue? I've been looking into great Spider-Man stories akin to The Dark Knight Returns, Year One, The Black Mirror, and Long Halloween, but it seems Spidey doesn't have many actual classic.

The two stories that seem to be recommended online are Blue and Kraven's Last Hunt. Anyone else have other recommendations, or thoughts on those two? I read more for story than character, but I really do love Spidey. I've already read Ultimate Spider-Man.

Also, I've read good things about Dan Slott's Big Time storyline, but I really don't like his writing in Superior. I think the plotting is decent, but he writes it with incredibly blunt characterization with little subtlety or maturity. Would I like Big Time if I find Superior to be alright?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Spider-Man Blue is a good story. Feels earnest and it's a nice illustration of how important Gwen was to Peter. I hate on Loeb a lot, but this book holds up.

Owzers

dcbs updated....

Is Avengers World being written by hickman and spencer continually, or was hickman leaving it to spencer after the first issue?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
dcbs updated....

Is Avengers World being written by hickman and spencer continually, or was hickman leaving it to spencer after the first issue?

I think it's mostly Spencer, but I don't know to what exact extent.

Owzers

Odds are Hickman's just giving him rough plot outlines to work with. Do this and hit these points then do whatever, kind of thing.

should i be pre-ordering this or will that lead to regret?

Also, FBP vol 1 is only 4.99 for 7 issues :O

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
should i be pre-ordering this or will that lead to regret?

Also, FBP vol 1 is only 4.99 for 7 issues :O

Depends on how much you like Spencer, despite getting plots from Hickman, he'll be the lead. If you don't hate him like I hate Lobdell (a writer who has managed to suck the fun from every book he touches), then maybe.

ReiGun

[*]DC titles are starting to weed themselves out by natural attrition / cancellation. The only ones I actively get that I feel bad about are Catwoman, Teen Titans and Superboy. At least Superboy has the potential to be OK? with the new writer coming on board who is going to seemingly clean house. I'll finish out Green Team / Vibe / Katana so I at least have full runs.
[/LIST]
How can you stand to keep reading Teen Titans? I got like five issues in and stopped, and every time I peek in or check out a preview, it still looks bad. I can't imagine reading the whole thing.

Now this looks good.

DC, unlike Marvel, has a teen team that has generally been popular and strong enough to sustain long ass runs, but they cannot fucking manage it for shit. Meanwhile you have awesome Marvel runs like Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, Generation Hope etc. that can't manage to stay afloat for more than 20 issues. I fucking hate DC editorial.

Owzers

Did we solve the marvel binding code? i think on cbr forums it was said if a book is solicited for a month later than normal, it's glued, if it's three months or more, it's sewn. Infinity HC is one month , the companion larger volume is three.

that's going to be kind of crappy if Infinity OHC isn't sewn Xo

What are peoples thoughts on Spider-man: Blue? I've been looking into great Spider-Man stories akin to The Dark Knight Returns, Year One, The Black Mirror, and Long Halloween, but it seems Spidey doesn't have many actual classic.

Lee/Ditko Amazing Spider-Man

Spider-Man doesn't need revamped stories of his origins, nothing will be better than the original.

If you want Spider-Man comics with flair, Millar's Marvel Knights Spider-Man, Spider-Man: Reign, Spider-Man/Human Torch, and McFarlane Spider-Man might be what you want.

JMS run has my favorite Peter/MJ moments, but is never recommended because of OMD and Sins Past.

pa22word

Anyone read Ash and the Army of Darkness #1? I thought it was pretty good despite some of the crazy leaps of logic it makes in order to make a serviceable plot out of the theatrical ending. But man I kind of find it hard to shit on it too much for it because it's a freaking Army of Darkness comic, thus a little insanity comes with the territory lol. Thought they nailed Ash's dialog and the general tone of Army of Darkness really well. Looking forward to #2 tbqh.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Lee/Ditko Amazing Spider-Man

Spider-Man doesn't need revamped stories of his origins, nothing will be better than the original.

If you want Spider-Man comics with flair, Millar's Marvel Knights Spider-Man, Spider-Man: Reign, Spider-Man/Human Torch, and McFarlane Spider-Man might be what you want.

JMS run has my favorite Peter/MJ moments, but is never recommended because of OMD and Sins Past.

I can agree with you on JMS's run. He was spot on with the characterization, but the actual plots were usually garbage.

Nudull

Banned
Anyone read Ash and the Army of Darkness #1? I thought it was pretty good despite some of the crazy leaps of logic it makes in order to make a serviceable plot out of the theatrical ending. But man I kind of find it hard to shit on it too much for it because it's a freaking Army of Darkness comic, thus a little insanity comes with the territory lol. Thought they nailed Ash's dialog and the general tone of Army of Darkness really well. Looking forward to #2 tbqh.

I did, felt it was an ok starter, despite the crappy art. No doubt that it has that AoD feel, and Steve Niles is really trying here, so I'll give it a few more issues.

because marvel editors are hopeless avengers fanboys who are endlessly seething that they can't suppress the skyrocketing popularity of the x-men. fume editors. #webadumad. #cyclopswasright

Tizoc

Loeb's best books are usually the ones that Tim Sale did the art on, so any book featuring the two is gonna be really good.

Spider-Man: Reign = Marvel's version of The Dark Knight Returns.

Owzers

I was looking at the cbr forums and a poster found a listing for an Annihilation Omnibus at amazon.

O______O. I have the main event in the vol 3 OHC, but a lot of people have been waiting for this.

I'm on a big Batman kick after finishing Arkham Origins, was Batman Noel any good?

I like it well enough. It's worth a read if you're in the christmas spirit and for the absolutely stunning artwork. It's not a classic though, Bermejo muddles his analogues a little as he goes and you kind of end up wondering how Scrooge's story really relates to Batman at all ,even though it seems a great obvious analogue on the surface. It is a lovely boo kto own though, real nice.

I've been on my own kick and went through Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Gotham Central & The Black Mirror again the last few weeks. All of them are great reads if you happen not to have read any (unlikely I know). The new Snyder book featuring his Joker story is literally just dropping/about to drop most places too, so there's that!

Also, I'm going to guess everyone hates me because I posted that Pak/Kuder preview eysterday, wrote a lovely wee thing about it and nobody cared. Today everyone loves it. I can't win. I buy trades and generally don't read capes, you guys have to work with me when I try.

tim1138

I like it well enough. It's worth a read if you're in the christmas spirit and for the absolutely stunning artwork. It's not a classic though, Bermejo muddles his analogues a little as he goes and you kind of end up wondering how Scrooge's story really relates to Batman at all ,even though it seems a great obvious analogue on the surface. It is a lovely boo kto own though, real nice.

I've been on my own kick and went through Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Gotham Central & The Black Mirror again the last few weeks. All of them are great reads if you happen not to have read any (unlikely I know). The new Snyder book featuring his Joker story is literally just dropping/about to drop most places too, so there's that!

Also, I'm going to guess everyone hates me because I posted that Pak/Kuder preview eysterday, wrote a lovely wee thing about it and nobody cared. Today everyone loves it. I can't win. I buy trades and generally don't read capes, you guys have to work with me when I try.

Yeah I've read/own pretty much everything you listed for Batman. I'm trying to find some of the older or less prominent stuff I may have missed (and to be honest I'm really only interested in Noel because the suit looks cool in Arkham Origins). I need to get ahold of the Chronicles volumes and read the original stuff.

Aaron Kuder's art can mystify me, I was reading GL New Guardians during his run and some pages were amazing, but like two panels later the same character would look completely different. His out of costume Kyle was especially bad too. But then I see his Action stuff and it all looks great, boggles the mind

Yeah I've read/own pretty much everything you listed for Batman. I'm trying to find some of the older or less prominent stuff I may have missed (and to be honest I'm really only interested in Noel because the suit looks cool in Arkham Origins). I need to get ahold of the Chronicles volumes and read the original stuff.

Haha well, it's nice. If you like having nice books on your shelf it's worth it, but it's not like you'll find yourself going back to it every year (except maybe at christmas). I actually reaaally wanted that suit in Arkham City but now I've got it and...I just love that default AO suit so freaking much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom