• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I honestly don't agree with some of this. Carol was already struggling to hold an ongoing before this run, The Inhumans have their fanbase and will be moving away from the similarities they had with the X-Men. The Gwen thing has happened before.

Only the first issue of Rebirth books are on sale.

The Gwen thing has always been a clone. This is supposedly the real Ghen who didn't die on the bridge that night. I'm sure they'll undo this, but her impactful death no longer carries the weight it did.

tim1138

Can someone please suggest the best arrow and flash comics I should be picking up in the Cmx sale? Thanks

Flash - I'd recommend the Flash by Geoff Johns collections, there should be three of them out

Green Arrow - Longbow Hunters and the following run by Mike Grell, the New 52 run by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino

Zombine

Banned
So on twitter we talked a bit about MvC4 and what characters we expect/want to be in. Anyone here have any wishes for characters?

Mega M-

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

Sandfox

The Gwen thing has always been a clone. This is supposedly the real Ghen who didn't die on the bridge that night. I'm sure they'll undo this, but her impactful death no longer carries the weight it did.

The Gwen in Clone Conspiracy is one that was created using the remains of the original rather so she still died on the bridge and still has the same flaws as all of the clones.
The impactful part of her death was the effect it had on Peter and that will never go away.

VanWinkle

Can't find anything for the Amazon ten off deal, maybe east of west volume 1 but I don't like buying collections of a series I buy monthly before it ends and know I want all of it again. Multiversity deluxe for $21 is tempting but I didn't love it. Velvet ohc but that's a preorder that will be cheaper with dcbs.

I should just buy more flannel shirts.

Buy a Valiant deluxe edition like I did. IST never has them for more than 30% off, so it's the easiest way to get one a decent price.

Deathstroke #7: Pretty good issue, it started a bit weak but ended strong. Now that I think of it, most issues of Deathstroke feel like this. I think this series will be terrific collected.

The problem with directly asking a character like
Superman why he hasn't gone after a character like Deathstroke
is, it draws attention to one of the most ridiculous features of a shared universe, essentially in a meta-textual way. Of course the real reason
Superman hasn't gone after Deathstroke
is that it would ruin comics. You can't have
one of the most powerful characters in your shared universe randomly scooping up antiheroes and mercenaries unless you don't want your shared universe to have any antiheroes or mercenaries anymore
. So let's not poke that logic with a stick.

The ending, though, with the
infiltration of the big crazy ship
, all while things are
collapsing in the background
, was tense and brilliantly done. I really love the way the earlier parts of the issue circle back around here, too; Priest drops that little complication on Slade at pretty much the perfect moment. Great stuff.

Detective Comics #945: I thought this issue was just okay. So far the Victim Syndicate arc has mostly been just okay. Tynion continues to handle the fallout of
Tim's death
pretty poorly; I excused him early on because Night of the Monster Men seemed to throw a huge wrench in things, but this issue deals directly with this topic and doesn't come close to sticking the landing.

Nobody seems to want to address how Batman is dealing with this all that much. I feel like we're going to get there...in fact this arc was probably designed to create this opportunity. But for him to remain so aloof for most of this is problematic for the narrative. Spoiler's grief is also conveyed somewhat ineffectively, though I did appreciate some of the other character work with her...it is oft-forgotten, for instance,
what a great detective she is
. And her observation regarding the squad, that they're all
broken things, people Batman needs to keep an eye on because of their history or the history of their parents
, is astute, even if I don't think it will ever amount to anything.

The real treat in this issue is Clayface. He's not around for much of it, but as per usual the pages he does get are some of the best in the issue. The exploration of this character has become what I most look forward to in Detective.

Bii

Can't find anything for the Amazon ten off deal, maybe east of west volume 1 but I don't like buying collections of a series I buy monthly before it ends and know I want all of it again. Multiversity deluxe for $21 is tempting but I didn't love it. Velvet ohc but that's a preorder that will be cheaper with dcbs.

I should just buy more flannel shirts.

I bought some manga.

How?! That's the cheapest I've ever seen it.
Comic shop was running BF sale. Had a 20% off coupon and some store credit.
So on twitter we talked a bit about MvC4 and what characters we expect/want to be in. Anyone here have any wishes for characters?

For Capcom, I'd like to see Gene, Alastor, Nero (or Lady), Leon, Franziska von Karma, Sissel, and some kind of MonHun representation.

For Marvel, I'm pretty happy with the final lineup they had for UMVC3. I would like to see a Spider-Man villain, Daredevil, Vision, and Squirrel Girl personally. For a bunch of others I'd want, like Kaine, Beta Ray Bill, Kate Bishop, etc., they could always just do alt costumes which would be fine.

Flash - I'd recommend the Flash by Geoff Johns collections, there should be three of them out

Green Arrow - Longbow Hunters and the following run by Mike Grell, the New 52 run by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino

I'll have a look at those. Thanks.

I wish I the new post rebirth Arrows were in the sale as I loved that rebirth issue

Dr. Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme #2: Ehhh I don't know about this book. The Sorcerers really aren't all that interesting. I'm not sure I want to read a book about them. Everything here is just so...plain? I'm spoiled by Bachalo, I suppose, but the look and feel of
Camelot
is a huge missed opportunity.

I honestly can't think of anything to talk about. Middling at best. One more issue.

The Goddamned #5: It's about goddamned time.

The first arc of The Goddamned is a study in human ugliness. It's gruesome and filthy and amoral, and at the center of it all is Noah's Ark, a lasting symbol of our desire to rise above our bestial origins, and of God's displeasure with our carnal instincts. There isn't much here worth saving anyway, but Aaron poses the question: are Noah and his descendants really any better? Or is their elevation merely another random act of a fickle god? The answer is
no, it isn't, and yes, in God's eyes, they are
. Here's why.

The last major obstacle Cain has to overcome to reach Noah is
a giant who identifies himself as Nephilim. This is a word used in the bible to describe a variant, if you will, on humankind that existed right before the Deluge (and were wiped out by it). There is a great deal of disagreement over how exactly to translate Nephilim, or where they were said to have come from. Some simply translate the word as "giant" or "those that cause others to fall down." Other translations suggest "ones who have fallen," "the violent ones," or "the appointed ones." Were they the offspring of Seth, or angels? Some even argue they are the descendants of Cain himself.

Aaron intentionally chose this word, and this particular breed of monster man, I believe, to emphasize the theme of duality in both men and God. But the concepts behind that duality aren't really good and evil...they are strength and frailty. This is the only morality of the world Aaron and Guera have built. "I HOLY," the Nephilim boasts, just before a display of raw, brutal strength. Strength is holiness. It is the frailty of man's spirit that has turned God sour on this whole nasty experiment. Our apathy in the face of great adversity that disgusts Him...our inability to come together to build great things, cities, civilizations, monuments...impossibly large Arks... that draws His wrath. This is why Noah appeals to God; it's not because he's a good person. He is capable of building something mighty.

And perhaps Cain's purpose in all of this is to hold God accountable for his "doomed little monsters." God made a great error in granting Cain immortality and invulnerability: he gave man a chance to catch his breath and reflect, in some small way, on the inhumanity of God. He gave one man the chance to ask, "hey, isn't all this your fucking fault?"

Highly recommended.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme #2: Ehhh I don't know about this book. The Sorcerers really aren't all that interesting. I'm not sure I want to read a book about them. Everything here is just so...plain? I'm spoiled by Bachalo, I suppose, but the look and feel of
Camelot
is a huge missed opportunity.

I honestly can't think of anything to talk about. Middling at best. One more issue.

I agree completely. If I wasn't so starved for stuff with Wiccan in it, I probably would have passed already.
But if he does end up dying without Merlin's help imma be real pissed.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. I spent a lot of it getting obsessed with Hearthstone and watching Gilmore girls.

I agree completely. If I wasn't so starved for stuff with Wiccan in it, I probably would have passed already.
But if he does end up dying without Merlin's help imma be real pissed.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. I spent a lot of it getting obsessed with Hearthstone and watching Gilmore girls.

Hi BLL, nice to see you man!

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
So I looked around for a more active, academic-slanted board and came up empty. So I guess I'm back to bore you with discussions you don't care about; and add fuck-all to your superhero conversations. May or may not post regularly... may or may not have become a tradewaiter.

So I looked around for a more active, academic-slanted board and came up empty. So I guess I'm back to bore you with discussions you don't care about; and add fuck-all to your superhero conversations. May or may not post regularly... may or may not have become a tradewaiter.

*Hotel California plays softly*

uh..thanks?

New phone who dis

hereforever_by_fartprincess-d5ztsoc.jpg

c07c28b2f57bc12ec07d947c8877bfe7.gif

I really want to make time to read more dial h tonight but I just can't stop playing Pokemon. I'm already planning on replaying yellow or gold when I'm done with this haha. Game is like crack to me. Maybe I'll start reading the pokemans manga next

Bah ha ha ha ha
Comrades, I am slain. Twas Tetrax did the deed.

I really want to make time to read more dial h tonight but I just can't stop playing Pokemon. I'm already planning on replaying yellow or gold when I'm done with this haha. Game is like crack to me. Maybe I'll start reading the pokemans manga next

That's it. If I end up at a Target or Fred Meyer today I'm gonna buy it. Do I want Sun or Moon

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Hi BLL, nice to see you man!

You too, Robo-buddy!

I also checked out Ultimates 2, and while I find Travel to be a bit of a step down from Rocafort, and they're stilll saddles with Captain Marvel, I like the direction that it's heading in and will definitely stick with it for now. Loved the last page.
America is the best.

Bah ha ha ha ha
Comrades, I am slain. Twas Tetrax did the deed.

That's it. If I end up at a Target or Fred Meyer today I'm gonna buy it. Do I want Sun or Moon

Do you like lions with a star face, or bats with star wings?

Mmm. Well there is actually a pretty significant thing between them. If you play sun there is normal daylight hours. If you play moon it's actually vice versa haha I hadn't heard anything about that, blew my mind when I was watching my partner play and realised. Otherwise, I thiiiink the cooler exclusive Pokemon are in their versions, moon, but the daylight thing might make a big difference depending when you are free to play and what you prefer.

Alola versions of og Pokemon are so cool too. Raichu is actually so awesome and the new Marowak, holy shit haha

Mmm. Well there is actually a pretty significant thing between them. If you play sun there is normal daylight hours. If you play moon it's actually vice versa haha I hadn't heard anything about that, blew my mind when I was watching my partner play and realised. Otherwise, I thiiiink the cooler exclusive Pokemon are in their versions, moon, but the daylight thing might make a big difference depending when you are free to play.

Alola versions of og Pokemon are so cool too

Oh that is interesting thanks! Hmm I am actually going to have to think about this...

Do you like lions with a star face, or bats with star wings?

Bats with star wings, easily

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Wish I still had a 3ds

PsychBat!

Banned
santa claus is coming to town!

Wish I still had a 3ds

Same. But I had no job and I like electricity and food, so I did what I had to. I thought about buying a new one but New 3DSes are €200 here. At that point, may as well wait for a Switch.

Really? I just kept that as a display piece.

Yep. I put a bit of kitchen towel in it to help keep the food, but otherwise, yeah. Haven't used it at the new job much as there is a subsidized canteen, but sometimes if I have a long weekend shift I need to bring a sandwich and a piece of fruit or something.

My lift is not going tomorrow so I'm getting a 6:10AM bus for an 8:30 shift. Yeah....

At least it's a half day.

Top Bottom