• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Finally read the Robin Rises trade to wrap up Tomasi & Gleason's Batman and Robin run. So many gripes. Very trite writing. Some of the dialogues must have been originally created for an 80s Schwarzenegger Batman movie. Robin rises: Alpha just "reprints" 40% of the previous issue. Artwork feels inconsistent at times and overly busy at other. Moonshot was just weird. Kalibak and Darkseid job. Cyborg was just a comic relief character. 6 issues in the trade and three allusions to Batman's parents and pearls. This just feels like a huge step down in quality from the previous six trades.

Only positive - Ian Bertram and Dave Stewart's A Boy's Life mini looked spectacular.

Foofaraw

Last two are a toss-up but I'm feeling Love and Rockets and Shade, the Changing Man even if I'm not done with them yet. They really click with me. L&R is kinda like comfort food. Always a good read with incredible art and fun characters with complicated relationships. Shade's just gooood.

I've only read the first trade for Shade, but holy hell, it is a trip! Love the colors, the bizzaro story telling. Everything about it makes me super bummed that it feels so forgotten. Really hoping the Young Animal book changes that.

Sandfox

Are the new Spider books any good?
-Amazing Spider-Man has been meh, but picked with #16 with the "Before Dead No More" arc, which sets up the current event. This book is currently about a Spider-Man who who is charge of a giant company and fights crime globally.
-Renew Your Vows, which is a book about a Spider-Man who is married to Mary Jane and has a child with her is one issue in and the first issue was really good.
-Spider-Man starring Miles Morales has been good so far. Miles is the Spider-Man doing the classic style crime fighting in New York
-A new Venom book just started, but it's only one issue in and how you feel about it will probably depend what you want from the character.
-Spider-Woman is a good book about the title character going back her roots as well as dealing with being a new mom.
-Spider-Man/Deadpool has a lot of guest writers and it's hit or miss.

-Silk and Spider-Gwen are meh IMO, but have their fans. I personally liked what I've read of Spider-Man 2099, but have fallen behind on it and other people weren't feeling it. I don't recommend Prowler.

In terms of books that were recently cancelled/ended:
-Venom Space Knight, which was essentially about Venom being a hero in space was liked by a lot of people.
-Web Warriors, which starred of team of Spider-People from other universes coming together to fight crime across other universes was underrated IMO.
-Spidey was a book about a young Peter who just got his powers and each issue had a self contained story. I really liked this book.

I would say Renew Your Vows(so far), Spider-Woman, Spider-Man, and Space Knight stand out, but they all have redeeming qualities depending on what you want.

Don't give them any ideas

Just get Kamala in there, maybe Medusa and call it a day
I want to see Black Bolt and Moon Girl beat some people up.

MvC GAF is getting crazier than usual.

bloodywater.jpg

The taste is enough to get them hyped.

VanWinkle

The last 40 minutes of BvS were exceptional. Unfortunately the 2 hours before it were literally worse than any movie I've ever seen in my life.

I liked everything with Batman, even though I didn't necessarily love their characterization of him violence-wise. I thought Affleck absolutely killed it as Wayne and Batman.

Sou Da

I thought those action scenes were worse than people gave them credit for and the warehouse scene in particular was just gross and gratuitous.

The last 40 minutes of BvS were exceptional all right...exceptionally bad. I mean, most of the film was awful, but the last chapter was a masterpiece in shit film making. It's like they took all the worst elements from Man of Steel and turned the amp to 11. Cartoon, nonsensical villain! Wonder Woman! Explosions! Lex clowning around!

The only redeemable part of that movie is the first ten minutes during the attack. It's all downhill from there. More like a cliff, I suppose.

I liked everything with Batman, even though I didn't necessarily love their characterization of him violence-wise. I thought Affleck absolutely killed it as Wayne and Batman.

literally looks like Cary Grant on steroids. regardless of opinions on the film i think no finer bruce wayne (visually) will ever be found.

edit: did anybody read that new comic from Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire? the oversized issue looked pretty cool on the store shelves.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just had a two hour power outage. I read two whole issues in that time. Animosity #3 and Black Hammer #4 were book good reads. Now back to Messiah Complex.

Owzers

I'm reading the Batman dark knight rises ot thread about a poorly acted death scene and I am starting to think my blu Ray collection, though small, is a bunch of trash because it and its kind are in there. I've never rewatched it either.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm reading the Batman dark knight rises ot thread about a poorly acted death scene and I am starting to think my blu Ray collection, though small, is a bunch of trash because it and its kind are in there. I've never rewatched it either.
Buy some Dario Argento movies, they are great updates :)

I really like BvS. Without any caveats too, I literally just thought it was great. I feel like I have to say it, just so people know that maybe life exists on mars too, but I appreciate why people have issues with the movie. Only ever watched the extended cut, if that makes a difference.

Hah no I didn't!!

The consensus online seemed to be that this was the version to watch but my sister said something very similar to me earlier, about that storyline being better paced and built too. I may have to watch that too! Really horrible stuff though
it's the way she still pleads for the father's life :(
I vastly prefer Brotherhood. Tighter story and faster pacing. Granted, the '03 series does have some storylines and character arcs that work far better due to the slower pacing (everything with Nina and Hughes), but it shits the bed so hard near the end. And the movie that ties up that series is godawful. Such a severely depressing ending. The thing with Brotherhood shortening those arcs is that you have to realize that they were releasing a reboot, and they had to mix it up a bit. They're already rehashing content, but they're just removing the filler from the '03 series.

You're already watching the better series, but honestly the '03 series is worth a watch. Don't know how it'll be after Brotherhood, but I'd argue it's still worth a watch.
we already know from issue #1 that he doesn't. He continues as "unworthy" until he finds the hammer for 1610 Thor.

For whatever reason he's been fighting to reach it constantly, but can't seem to grab it without getting his ass kicked.
I'm not expecting him to carry it. I just want to know if he'll pick it up and perhaps use its power. Give it a whirl for a minute and then give it back.

Yeah it's a strange beast. Can't decide if I dig it yet. You have to like lots of prose and be cool with meandering character studies.

damn. this doesn't sound like the most optimistic review lol. still i'm going to have to check it out at some point because of the people involved.

I really like BvS. Without any caveats too, I literally just thought it was great. I feel like I have to say it, just so people know that maybe life exists on mars too, but I appreciate why people have issues with the movie. Only ever watched the extended cut, if that makes a difference.

i think it's the best "superhero cinematic universe" movie. there's some writing issues and i get why some people have gripes with the characterization. but the positives outweighed the bad for me.

I vastly prefer Brotherhood. Tighter story and faster pacing. Granted, the '03 series does have some storylines and character arcs that work far better due to the slower pacing (everything with Nina and Hughes), but it shits the bed so hard near the end. And the movie that ties up that series is godawful. Such a severely depressing ending. The thing with Brotherhood shortening those arcs is that you have to realize that they were releasing a reboot, and they had to mix it up a bit. They're already rehashing content, but they're just removing the filler from the '03 series.

You're already watching the better series, but honestly the '03 series is worth a watch. Don't know how it'll be after Brotherhood, but I'd argue it's still worth a watch.

I'm not expecting him to carry it. I just want to know if he'll pick it up and perhaps use its power. Give it a whirl for a minute and then give it back.

Cheers for the feedback man. Think we're up through episode 10 now, really enjoying it. Would like if it moved at a slightly slower click, really liked the ep where they go home to visit. Cool show though!

i think it's the best "superhero cinematic universe" movie. there's some writing issues and i get why some people have gripes with the characterization. but the positives outweighed the bad for me.

For sure. People think what they think, I won't try and dissuade them, but I really do like the movie, with no irony or whatever. I think it's a very well thought out movie with style and some stuff to say. Whether or not it's true to the comics etc is understandable as a gripe for others, but it didn't bother me at all.

Also, jeez, just saw that Pokemon has became the biggest ever debut of a game here in the uk for Ninty, even beating records set in the wii era. That's amazing, nice to see them gain a little momentum after the last few years.

Cheers for the feedback man. Think We're up through episode 10 now, really enjoying it. Would like if it moved at a slightly slower click, really liked the ep where they go home to visit. Cool show though!

For sure. People think what they think, I won't try and dissuade them, but I really do like the movie, with no irony or whatever. I think it's a very well thought out movie with style and some stuff to say. Whether or not it's true to the comics etc is understandable as a gripe for others, but it didn't bother me at all (and I'm a big batman fan). I really enjoy Lex hah.

Also, jeez, just saw that Pokemon has became the biggest ever debut of a game here in the uk for Ninty, even beating records set in the wii era. That's amazing, nice to see them gain a little momentum after the last few years. 10 million copies globally apparently.

The Uncanny Inhumans #15
Well this is a plot thread we haven't seen in awhile, and boy is it a doozy. As slow as this issue is, we get more Reader and Frank, so that's good. I like it that we can focus on things that aren't CW2. It's a pretty okay issue that has a pretty cool revelation and a very unique plotpoint thay showcases how fucking overpowered Reader is. No wonder the priests at Orollan cut out his eyes.

Overall it's just an okay issue. I expect a host of okay issues so long as IvX is happening.

Jessica Jones #2
....what?

What?

Fucking...what?

Okay, so:
Jessica and Luke have a fight. We don't know why they're separated, but they are. Jess took the baby with her. We know that Luke was "warned" about something, which I'm assuming means all of his friends constantly told him not to marry Jess and he did it anyways. We also know a light-brown haired lady is tailing either Jess or Luke. Possibly both. We still don't know why Jess ended up in prison, but we know she gave Dani to her mom before hand, who is taking care of her.

Now then, Mrs. Brownlee died and the Spot has beaten the shit out of Jess and taken her. So my guess is that the murder, Spot, and the mystery lady are tied together

I like this issue less than the first, but I still like it. What I like in particular is that we see Jess struggling to keep herself from going back to her old self. She's constantly struggling to keep moving forward and never stop. To not fall too far back into her own head. It means she's developed. I also like how, in her
argument with Luke, we're not sure who is more in yhe right here. It seems like Jess, but that's only because we know her side of things and we barely know that.

Good issue and still a good book all around. Definitely knows how to keep my interest and intrigue.

edit: did anybody read that new comic from Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire? the oversized issue looked pretty cool on the store shelves.

Yeah, it's some pretty heavy reading. It's like a 65-page comic and I didn't really enjoy it until the last 5-10 pages. There's a whole lot of seemingly unnecessary backstory that could have been trimmed down by 30 pages or so.

So many books, some days off really does the comic reading good.

AD:After Death

Good god dude, just write a novel!

That being said I really really liked this and I'm intrigued on where this goes. Was kind of surprised by the lack of a stinger at the end.

Detective

I think this may be the first down issue for me in Detective. Spoiler was kind of annoying, Batman seemed like a dick, the stinger was kind of an obvious non-stinger. Eh..

The Flash

Is this book on the upswing? The stuff between Iris and Barry came off as really dumb but once it got to Shade and looking for Wally I thought the book was really good. Really good twist on bringing back an old villain.

Wonder Woman

A conclusion this was not. You damn liars! Kind of bummed nothing really got wrapped up I guess, but I'm still liking this just feel like we're not really getting any answers still. I'm liking the Truth more than the Lies.

Titans

Dropped, this shit is going nowhere.

Hellblazer

Dropped. Half this issue was just complete nonsense.

Teen Titans

Finally a book that moves. My biggest complaint about most of the monthly books is they seemed to get influenced by the slowness of the bi-weekly books. Maybe this book isn't moving at a break-neck pace but at least we are actually getting to something by issue two instead of spending 5 issues to just have the team talking and maybe have a fight just to finally get to Ra's. That may still be what happens, but the book actually feels like its progressing.

Deathstroke

This book continues to confuse the fuck out of me. I would probably drop and trade wait, but it seems like every other issue I really like. I think its just going to warrant a re-read later on.

The last 40 minutes of BvS were exceptional all right...exceptionally bad. I mean, most of the film was awful, but the last chapter was a masterpiece in shit film making. It's like they took all the worst elements from Man of Steel and turned the amp to 11. Cartoon, nonsensical villain! Wonder Woman! Explosions! Lex clowning around!

The only redeemable part of that movie is the first ten minutes during the attack. It's all downhill from there. More like a cliff, I suppose.

That was the worst. It took the grossly offensive 9/11 imagery from the last movie and turned it into a fucking car commercial. Literally worse than like Crash.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Best part about BvS is the one scene where Wonder Woman looks like she has a fucking amazing time while fighting Doomsday.

Got the Ultiamte Cut yesterday for 10 bucks and am curious how it turns out.

Best part about BvS is the one scene where Wonder Woman looks like she has a fucking amazing time while fighting Doomsday.

That and her theme song kicking in when she first shows up. Wonder Woman is without a doubt the best part of the movie.

AD:After Death

Good god dude, just write a novel!

Exactly what I thought. The walls of text just didn't feel necessary. I enjoyed the story told via traditional panels, but there wasn't really any reason to go so in-depth with the character's childhood. I hope the last two issues aren't in the same format.

Exactly what I thought. The walls of text just didn't feel necessary. I enjoyed the story told via traditional panels, but there wasn't really any reason to go so in-depth with the character's childhood. I hope the last two issues aren't in the same format.

I think you can expect they will be. As far as I've gathered from interviews, this is the specific format of the book. He's been talking about doing a *literary comic* for some time (if that describes it decently). I feel like I have a good feel of what Snyder's prose writing style will read like, off the back of his narration in other series so feeling confident for now.

Grabbed a ps4 slim this morn. Came with Watch Dogs 2 & Dishonored 2 so should do me nicely over the holidays. Must finish pokemon first though.

ElNarez

Banned

The Ultimate Cut does a lot to make the movie better to people who need to have a handle on the situation at all times. It's basically the full picture, whereas the theatrical cut is only Batman and Superman's points of view. It's clearer, it's got some great scenes that touch on ideas that were only hinted at previously, in a way that makes it obvious that this is the movie before it was cut down.

I'll defend the theatrical cut, because that's the kind of crazy person I am, but, if you're gonna give the movie a shot, start with the Ultimate.

The Ultimate Cut does a lot to make the movie better to people who need to have a handle on the situation at all times. It's basically the full picture, whereas the theatrical cut is only Batman and Superman's points of view. It's clearer, it's got some great scenes that touch on ideas that were only hinted at previously, in a way that makes it obvious that this is the movie before it was cut down.

I'll defend the theatrical cut, because that's the kind of crazy person I am, but, if you're gonna give the movie a shot, start with the Ultimate.

I really don't think comprehension was the movies problem. I've said it before but I really feel like the movie was basically trying to jerk off in my face the entire time. Snyder's at the editing bay with his pants down saying "OHHH the pearls!!!!"

I'd say it was closer to a Michael Bay movie, but a shit ton less fun.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I didnt had any problems regarding the comprehension, my issues were more a problem of the lots and lots stupid things that happen through the movie, starting with Clark first hearing of a Bat Viligante like 100 years after Bruce became active and he started journalism and ending with the famous Martha stuff, but I am willing to give the movie another chance.

Top Bottom