• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

What is the best Batman story. You can only choose one.

It's The Black Mirror BTW.

That would be my choice. I'm not super well versed with the dc universe before the Morrison's era but I pretty much read everything from batman and son onwards, and the black mirror really set a high bar for me. I really like the owl saga too.

Gotham Central is a really nice look at the bat world from a different angle though, outside of the heroes. I love that.

Morrison's run brought me in and was a good gateway into batman comics but not a big favourite overall. Just not a big fan of Morrison's storytelling fundamentals but I do like it for what it is.

VanWinkle

What's the difference between an absolute and a Omnibus?

Year One is the best Batman story, hands down.

Absolute is DC's premium book format. It's page trim size is much bigger than an omnibus. All Absolutes come in a hard slipcase and are typically shorter than the average omnibus. Oftentimes, Absolutes collect stories, whereas omnis usually set out to collect full runs.

Jo6SG6T.jpg
DrHDq6w.jpg
AdQPe8n.jpg

Absolute is DC's premium book format. It's page trim size is much bigger than an omnibus. All Absolutes come in a hard slipcase and are typically shorter than the average omnibus. Oftentimes, Absolutes collect stories, whereas omnis usually set out to collect full runs.

I can't get over how much better the current DC logo is versus the page peel one

Even if it's just a simple logo it looks so much cleaner and nicer on books and places you'd typically see a logo. The page peel one was sooo bad.

VanWinkle

I can't get over how much better the current DC logo is versus the page peel one

Even if it's just a simple logo it looks so much cleaner and nicer on books and places you'd typically see a logo. The page peel one was sooo bad.

Yeah, I like the new one a lot. Wasn't sure about it at first, but I've really come around to it.

Am I weird to say I really liked Hush? I've only ever read a few of the old classic trades and from New 52 on.

Not at all, I feel like these are the ones that come up often. The Long halloween, hush, year one, dark knight returns. Still gets a lot of love on the where should i start lists. DC have a lot of good timeless trades for that sort of thing.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not at all, I feel like these are the ones that come up often. The Long halloween, hush, year one, dark knight returns. Still gets a lot of love on the where should i start lists. DC have a lot of good timeless trades for that sort of thing.
War Games & War Crimes
Broken City
Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader

Other great stories that come to my mind

You basically listed my reading list outside of New 52 and on. lol

You basically listed my reading list outside of New 52 and on. lol

hahah that's the lap I did when I decided to get into Batman comics. I had Dark Victory too. When my girlfriend decided to start reading batman comics I gave her all those and added Batman Noel because it was christmas, & the black mirror and it worked out well for her too lol

War Games & War Crimes
Broken City
Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader

Other great stories that come to my mind

I haven't read the first two! Whatever happened to the caped crusader though, yea!

hahah that's the lap I did when I decided to get into Batman comics. I had Dark Victory too. When my girlfriend decided to start reading batman comics I gave her all those and added Batman Noel because it was christmas, & the black mirror and it worked out well for her too lol

I started at Batman with the classics and then that started me into Johns' Teen Titans and somehow that lead into reading a shit ton of Vertigo then I lost my job and fell out of comics for a long while until recently. By time I got into the other stuff I never made the loop back around to Batman to read more stuff.

Messi

Ok dude I think we might have different interpretations on what Batman is.
My Batman isn't the Punisher.

I am quite partial to Heart of Hush. And Mad Love.

ALWAYS bet on Dini.

I didn't include Mad Love because I don't consider it a Batman story but I agree both are incredible.

Heart of Hush > Hush

ElNarez

Banned
okay I promise I won't go full-on lengthy defensive diatribe mode, but I gotta raise this point

so let's talk about the martha thing

He has to spend 4 minutes replaying a scene we've seen a billion times at this point in the Thomas and Martha death scene, but he just has to do it and he has to spend a bunch of time on it because he just has to have that masturbatory slow-mo pearl bullshit.

You're missing the point pretty hard if you think it's just about showing that real neat shot he basically took from Miller's DKR. The obvious thing is, of course, that everything this Batman does is understood through the prism of his trauma, which, no shit. But then, in the context of "the martha thing", in the context of "that moment where he's about to kill superman", there's a parallel that's being drawn, not between young bruce and superman, but, and that's in my opinion the whole crux of the scene, between superman and thomas wayne. Batman doesn't hear his mother's name, but, instead, the last words his father ever spoke. The pang of realization that hits him at that moment is that, right now, he's being Joe Chill. He is becoming the senseless murderer that traumatized him. It's important to have the scene in mind, and that's why it plays so often.

When I was talking about clarity earlier, this is the kind of shit I meant, by the way.

mreddie

Well...

X-Men: Gold will be written by Marc Guggenheim with art by Ardian Syaf. The phase-shifting Kitty Pryde at long-last will become an X-Men team leader, whose squad includes Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Old Man Logan, and Rachel Grey.
X-Men: Blue will be written by Cullen Bunn with art by Jorge Molina. The roster will consist of the five original, time-displaced X-Men: leader Jean Grey, Cyclops, Iceman, Beast and Angel. The twist? With Professor X dead, their mentor will be the greatest enemy of their time, Magneto.

ElNarez

Banned
hahahahaha this is fucking terrible man Marvel I know all your top tier talent is getting that Image money but you could at least try

Cullen Bunn and Marc mothafuckin' "2nd worst BND Spidey writer" Guggenheim are the niggas they picked to revive interest in this franchise

drawn by the nigga who did Superman: Earth One

15269665._SY540_.jpg

Either Marvel is fuckin' clueless, or they really trying to kill off this franchise for good

Top Bottom