• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Wow, Doom Patrol #1 was incredible. So weird but I loved the tone and feel of it.

Glad you like it! I'm loving it so far. Today's issue was FANTASTIC. Like, it was such a great homage to Doom Patrol while doing something new. Probably my favorite single issue that I've read since the end of Hellboy. I can't get over how much I liked it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im so behind on MU :(

I need to go on one of my benders but the will isnt there :/

ElNarez

Banned
Man I have no idea how y'all are so positive on Invincible Iron Man, when, to me, the whole thing rang incredibly fucking hollow. Like, it's real obvious that Bendis is a middle-aged dad who lives in Portland trying to write black teen girls from the south side of Chicago, and nowhere is it more glaring than during
the drive-by shooting scene.
I dunno. Maybe it's those times. But I just don't really see the appeal of this guy telling this story.

Cw36t1yUQAEqoCd.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ElNarez shitting on a marvel book, its good to see some things don't change at least

I just read Renew Your Vows #1, and was relieved to discover I am still capable of love, joy and delight.

Anthony Holden is a fucking treasure. Every issue should have a backup by Anthony Holden.

deleted

Finally finished the Hellboy Library!

Got that suggested on here about a year ago I guess. I really liked it!
In the beginning I wanted to skip the second one because it was mostly short stories.. Turns out I love the short stories a lot more than the actual progressing plot. The last three big, epic pieces where okay, but I wasn't really feeling it tbh. A lot of stuff came out of nowhere and led nowhere.

King Arthur? His 'Girlfried'? the Witch to end all witches only ends herself? The whole setup with the 3 ravens lead nowhere except to one becoming a sword and helping to kill the personified dragon?
And they avoided it most of the time, but NOW they have to make direct references to plot happening in an aligned BRPD comic?
IDK, the book is often ridiculous in a good way when it's not this self serious. Here it was more for the sake of reaching a conclusion and to feel Epic.

I love the feel of the 1offs though. Nicely done, changing artstyle and all that.
Next stop: Absolute Sandman - hope that one's as good as rumored too. The books are a little more expensive, but so far I've liked Gaimans stuff enough to buy in.

mreddie

Alright, shook off the blues and read comics.

Riri- Decent start but felts cliche after the
drive by
PW/IF - Loved it, feels weird that Black Cat, Luke's Rogues Gallery and Alex "Childish Gambino" Wilder are teaming up.
Uncanny Avengers - Decent continuation, Janet doing Wasp things, Cable being badass, Deadpool dreaming up Deadpool things
Gwenpool - And then John was a
Doombot

As someone who has never read any Doom Patrol (though I do constantly try to remind myself to buy Morrison's run) should I go ahead and read the new Young Animal books? Or would a lot of it be lost on me?

Picked up my Pro and left some games+old PS3 and PS4. Would only have to pay $4 after that so I picked up Skyrim as well. Did not expect my old games to be worth that much.

As someone who has never read any Doom Patrol (though I do constantly try to remind myself to buy Morrison's run) should I go ahead and read the new Young Animal books? Or would a lot of it be lost on me?

It's primarily focusing on a brand new character, Casey Brinke, so it's worth a shot if you're not familiar with the team. Issue 3 did a great job at explaining some of the history with the team as well (along with some necessary history on Casey's past). So if you're interested, I say at least go three issues in. Plus, #3 was just a great comic period.

Some people seemed a bit intimidated by the first issue but they're explaining a lot of it as the series continues.

For the rest of the YA line, both Cave Carson and Mother Panic are very easy to jump into and require no prior reading. Shade absolutely benefits if you're familiar with Milligan's run, but it is still its own thing and still accessible. I can't help but feel like the people disappointed with it had misplaced expectations though, as it it's very much delivering on the premise so far. I think the whole line has been a success for good comics overall. They're all very exciting and probably my favorite ongoings right now.

Costia

Does marvel unlimited give you only the first ~10 issues of each series or does it give you all of them with a delay after initial release (if so how long is the delay)?

TheFlow

Banned

go right in. the only thing you might have trouble with is #1 of shade and doom patrol but the second issues are so much better to follow. stick with them.

Alot of stuff is being explained in both books over issues rather than at once.

Cave carson is so good.

Owzers

Does marvel unlimited give you only the first ~10 issues of each series or does it give you all of them with a delay after initial release (if so how long is the delay)?
Usually all issues with a six month delay. Some stuff doesn't make it up there like the marvel max books, but most everything new, even the Star Wars books get on MU.

Glad you liked it! Couldn't disagree any more about the stuff in your spoiler tags coming from nowhere and going no where, but to each their own. Imo the beauty of those three Fegredo volumes is what they introduce seems left field but it was always there:
Being tied to England in a very special way is there from the day they mentioned his mother was a witch who gave herself to a duke of hell, when he bleeds and the lilies sprout etc
As for going nowhere, I don't know what to say. I think there is a lot of satisfaction in the resolution to the three book arc, as well as on a larger level. The fairy folk finally come to the forefront, HB puts his business with the dragon to bed in a manner of speaking, it furthers the core ideas that have driven Hellboy; The doomed hero; Rejecting destiny. In an even broader way, what happens to HB and England has reverberations for years down the line, in both the HB book after and the BPRD/Abe series. Mike's storytelling and what he's getting at and where it came from can often be very subtle though behind the big fight scenes and one liners, and on a certain level up for interpretation if we're speaking thematically, so I appreciate it's not for everyone. Imo one of the major strengths is how he mixes in so many cultures myths and legends in this natural tapestry that would seem odd on paper but he presents it in a way that makes sense. Bear in mind too, you may have finished the library, but that's not the end of HB's story, In Hell does continue it.

The "and other stories" volumes are fantastic though, I do give you that, so many of them are so short and concise and really boil Hellboy down to it's essence about what makes it work. I love when they include the little explanations too for where Mike got the idea or what he changed etc

Christian

So, here's a random question: Are any of the House of M Decimation comics, besides David's X-Factor, essential and/or really great reads?

TheFlow

Banned

In the beginning I wanted to skip the second one because it was mostly short stories.. Turns out I love the short stories a lot more than the actual progressing plot. The last three big, epic pieces where okay, but I wasn't really feeling it tbh. A lot of stuff came out of nowhere and led nowhere.

King Arthur? His 'Girlfried'? the Witch to end all witches only ends herself? The whole setup with the 3 ravens lead nowhere except to one becoming a sword and helping to kill the personified dragon?
And they avoided it most of the time, but NOW they have to make direct references to plot happening in an aligned BRPD comic?
IDK, the book is often ridiculous in a good way when it's not this self serious. Here it was more for the sake of reaching a conclusion and to feel Epic.

I love the feel of the 1offs though. Nicely done, changing artstyle and all that.
Next stop: Absolute Sandman - hope that one's as good as rumored too. The books are a little more expensive, but so far I've liked Gaimans stuff enough to buy in.

smh, the last big trilogy is the best thing about that run

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't have it in me to read comics yesterday (and I fell asleep at 9:45, having not slept at all Tuesday night), but all your impressions are giving me life.

Really looking forward to checking out Riri Iron Man when I get home from work.

Owzers

Is everyone still betraying me on Channel Zero? Watched episode four last night, might have been a weak episode but ended well.

Top Bottom