• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

TheFlow

Banned
Yea Bendis puttinf in work. I don't even want her to join the champions because they would just bring her down.

Her meeting miles would be cool though and I think Bendis will make it happen

Roman

Sorry to bring this up again but isn't all that advertising the Wonder Woman movie with talk about female empowerment going to ring kind of hollow with this result now?

It seems to me the ideals in that film would simply clash with current viewpoints and realities.

Ross61

Sorry to bring this up again but isn't all that advertising the Wonder Woman movie with talk about female empowerment going to ring kind of hollow with this result now?

It seems to me the ideals in that film would simply clash with current viewpoints and realities.

How so?

Roman

There is a prevalent feeling that misogynistic remarks and actions didn't harm the president-elect's campaign whatsoever. Wonder Woman represents ideals that will now likely be threatened (Roe v Wade etc).

I apologize again since this is not the thread for this. I merely feel that the bullet points in the advertising (female power, wonder) just...seem weakened now.

Ross61

There is a prevalent feeling that misogynistic remarks and actions didn't harm the president-elect's campaign whatsoever. Wonder Woman represents ideals that will now likely be threatened (Roe v Wade etc).

I apologize again since this is not the thread for this. I merely feel that the bullet points in the advertising (female power, wonder) just...seem weakened now.

Wonder Woman stand's for female empowerment. That/her message stand's for women of every color and race. If she was an agent of solely white feminism then I'd look at things differently.

TheFlow

Banned
Mother Panic #1

ok this was great. The action panels and the panels of
her at the event/guy showing the bodyguard the art
were kinda confusing to follow at first. That is my only complaint.

The dialog, art, and this new villain are dope as fuck. Plus this book delivered my favorite line of the week.
Fuck the bat!
. Violet is well violent and doesn't take no shit. I like that. Gotham is not a forgiving place, so I am glad she has the resolve. The
batman
cameo was cool.

4/5 because the side story was meh along with my complaint about the panels. Good start though

My aunt lives in Chicago. I am never going there.

sorry

Roman

Wonder Woman stand's for female empowerment. That/her message stand's for women of every color and race. If she was an agent of solely white feminism then I'd look at things differently.

I would argue women of minority color and race are particularly worse off by this now, which makes my point stronger.

But I realize this isn't the place. I'll probably get to reading some of the new books tomorrow.

TheFlow

Banned
Cave Carson #1

ok fuck it this is my favorite #1 so far from Young animal. damn. The feels, the nostalgia, and the perfect use of coloring when the eye was used was too much.

slow clap/5

that last page was so hype

I would like to discuss this with people who are familiar with the previous stuff. as a new reader I didn't find it hard to follow at all.

Owzers

I'm all for wonder woman's ideals but maybe not from Wonder Woman, she's just got too much baggage and keeps trying to reintroduce herself to us.

TheFlow

Banned
Doom Patrol #2

Introducing Negative man! so awesome to see him back, and cliff rekting was awesome. The dialog is solid but sometimes the book gets super weird that I feel is just for the sake of it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Luckily this was way easier to follow than #1.

Also the colorist and penciler need a round of applause because it makes the book.

4/5 good follow up

Doom Patrol #3

Welp this issue was a giant plot twist that people should avoid spoilers too. not sure if I like where they are going with the protagonist but I am excited for the rest of the squad getting together. This book is like inception. you keep going deeper into the crazy.
Major spoiler
Danny explaining everything to her through comic was brilliant

4/5 so weird

Ross61

I would argue women of minority color and race are particularly worse off by this now, which makes my point stronger.

But I realize this isn't the place. I'll probably get to reading some of the new books tomorrow.

It's a fact that they're worse off, but they are still a number of women of color who still want a Wonder Woman movie. The fight for feminism doesn't stop because of recent events. The thing we can take away from this is that racism trumps female empowerment for a surprising amount of women.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
All-Star Batman stuff from Scott Snyder:
B: In a lot of your interviews I’ve seen you talk about these shorter Batman stories that you’ve always wanted to write. But because you were on Batman, you felt you needed to do the biggest best Batman stories you could possibly think of. Are any of these shorter stories coming up in All-Star the ones you were always referring to?

SS: They are actually. But they’ve changed. So some of them are still relatively big. Like the one with Sean Murphy. It’s like Batman/Mad Max. And the one with John Romita obviously. But Mister Freeze is one issue. Ivy is one issue. Mad Hatter is one issue. And then Catwoman is likely two issues. And then it goes to Sean, which is a big one. They’re small. I love that format. But they are also big in the sense that I’m trying to do sort of definitive stories about them. Not that the stories would be the best or great or anything like that in terms of quality. I mean, you always hope that. That they are good at least. Decent at least. But what I mean is definitive in the way that they are your take if you got one chance to write that character. What you have to say about them. And that’s what I say in my class to students all the time. Imagine you only get one chance to write this character. In the format they tell you you have. Whether it’s one issue, three, whatever. Tell the story that says everything about the character to the degree you can in that space. So, it’s that sort of definitive.

So, Mister Freeze takes place in Alaska at a base where they have the oldest ice core in the world. And he has a gang of cryogenically frozen people. And Nora is in it. It’s really over the top. And Ivy takes place in the desert in Death Valley in Nevada where they sent a team to kill her. And there is a spot growing around the world that’s killing everything. So they are very kind of end of time, almost apocalyptic. They are big stories, but they are all one issue. Until we get to Sean, which is the big finale. It takes place in a kind of Old Man Logan/Batman. But it’s in continuity.

B: You just said the finale. Does that mean you have an endpoint in mind for the series?

SS: No, not at all. Just for the year. Basically, I see that first 15 issues as a single run. When it’s like the way I saw the Court of Owls or whatever. But it’s much more spaced out. It’s sort of like the three volumes of it. So the first three volumes are one exploration of the villains. So all of it is “A” list villains in the first 15 issues. Two Face, Freeze, Hatter, Catwoman, Penguin. And the other villains in the back-up with Duke. And then a whole group of surprise villains in the story with Sean. It gives me a kind of meditation for the year on why these villains are so scary. And who is the greatest villain. And what does all of it say about Batman. So I feel like you can collect those 3 volumes on one exploration.

But then the story I’m going to do after that is this Joker story with Lee Bermejo. I’m not supposed to say it, but I just said it, so…whatever. Now it’s out there. I want to do this big Joker story with Lee Bermejo that I’ve been thinking about for awhile. That will probably be issue 15-20 or 16-21. Around then. So I’d love to keep the series going as long as they will let me. What I’ll probably do is, once Duke’s story ends around 13 or 14, I’ll see if they will allow me to reduce the page count and reduce the price and just do it as a regular book monthly with the same type of cover stock. But that’s a whole other argument. Another set of mechanics to work out.
B: In All-Star Batman #1, Batman talks about his training program and how it turns you into the hero you’ll become…or the villain. And Duke’s like, you mean Jason. And Batman says no, someone else. To me, that was the single most intriguing thing you’ve introduced into All-Star. Who’s he talking about? Who’s this guy? Is this forthcoming? Are we going to find out who this villain is that Batman trained?

SS: Yes. Basically it’s a story called “The Ally” that I’m working on with Tynion and the other Bat writers that I’m very excited about. So, there is someone that Batman worked with. Not before Dick Grayson in a way that would put a primary Robin before him or anything that would upset continuity in anyway. But it’s someone that Batman knew, that he worked with, that you’ll be surprised when they tie into a dark present. So, we are working on it. We are trying to figure out if it’s best to tell now or to tell during the story I am doing with Capullo. But it’s there and it’s part of a big plan for all the Bat writers. Yes, it’s definitely something we are seeding forward.

The other thing I would say is that we are really working in tandem a lot. The Bat writers right now, we had two summits. We just had one in New York. And so, a lot of stuff that’s happening in the book is coordinated in ways that will be apparent as we get closer to summer. When Greg and I do this big story. So things that have been happening in Detective, Batman, JLA, Teen Titans….look, Batman is clearly setting up teams all around the DCU and and orchestrating things in certain ways that speak to a threat that is coming. And different things are building for him. There is a level of coordination in the Bat group that is really terrific.

We are all good friends. It sounds hokey and it sounds like I’m bullshitting you but I’m not. During this interview, Tom and I were texting for a bit. He was like, “Look at the election results. Do you want to get on the phone and drink?” And I was like, “Umm, I’m in an interview.” He was like, “I’ll get in on the interview and drink with you.” And I was like, “No, not when you’re drunk.” So, Tom helped me come up with All-Star. I’ve helped him with some of the stuff in Batman. James is a former student. He’s like my little brother. He’s family. Mark Doyle is the one that came to that reading with the book that I was in. He found me, him and his girlfriend, now his wife. He brought me into comics. Tim Seeley from Eternal and Steve Orlando. We’ve been to each other’s houses and know each other’s families and all that stuff. We are friends. Sincerely. The coordination that goes on in the Bat group is really inspiring. We build stories together, so that idea about “The Ally” and the stuff we are going to do, we are doing it as a team.

Stuff in Batman is going to play out in this event, and the events going to circle around to what came up in Batman later. Like how Gotham and Gotham Girl got their powers. All kinds of stuff.

TheFlow

Banned
Shade the Changing Girl #2

like the other young animal books this was a lot easier to follow. I love how this Alien has to adapt to Earth, humans, and Megan's past life. The dialog and art are awesome, and lots of plot lines are now on the table.

The ending story threw me off. wth is that all about. who are these people. Not a fan of when comics do this. Future quest and mother panic did the same thing.

4/5 for the main story.

I love young animal. I have a passion for weird stuff and this scratches that itch.

doom patrol is still the weirdest, cave carson is my favorite, and shade is my least favorite.

still like them all though. also like how a lot of them tie into the main DC universe

whoever decided to retcon Jean Grey's Death/Phoenix in her coming back to life should have been ejected into the sun

also Secret Wars II is the weirdest event of all time

TheFlow

Banned
Ah okay. Would you say it earns that rating in its content? I'm not a mature comics fan, personally.

the only ones that earn it are mother panic and maybe cave carson. all the books tackle adult themes and stuff though, but violence wise just the two I listed.

Your bae looks weird with bangs Messi

c8s4l9A.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Your gonna wanna take that back

Nope. Shes finally back in house near the end of season 7 (I assume she was off shooting movies since she was getting popular at the time) and looks weird with bangs.

House-After-Hours-Olivia-Wilde-Jesse-Spencer.jpg

Top Bottom