• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

what's this now?

The winter update for the Xbox has added a thing called clubs, basically your own little hangout spot. The club's theme can be what you want, club rules whatever you want eg Mic mandatory, just text chat, age group,etc etc I.think you can have leaderboards, all sorts of things I think, I've not looked super deep yet. It hooks into the other new feature they've added, looking for group so you can tell you're group you're looking to play x game with so many people at this time and so on.

Lots of quality of life stuff but cool anyhow. This thread seems to have a bunch of xbox players so we should totally have a group. This is probably kind of useless for people with loads of friends online but I literally don't know anyone irl who plays games so it could be handy. Maybe finally get.to do the destiny stuff I haven't been able to play.

TheFlow

Banned
Doom Patrol #3...I don't think I can love this book any more than I do, it's a blast to read.

one of us. one of us. one of us.

I love how the Doom patrol is not a complete reboot, but a reformation of the team. I am also glad that in this run everyone knows that
the chief fucked them all over.

So now all we are waiting for is crazy jane and that weird cat dude.

mreddie

Avengers 1.1 is basically the Kooky Quartet from Jan's POV which is odd. I assume she rejoined the team after Cap's team after 4 issues in the OG comic?

Meh. Dropped.

Doom Patrol: SUDDENLY THERE'S A COMIC IN ANOTHER COMIC. WHAT IS HAPPENING?

TheFlow

Banned
Avengers 1.1 is basically the Kooky Quartet from Jan's POV which is odd. I assume she rejoined the team after Cap's team after 4 issues in the OG comic?

Meh. Dropped.

7453078.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
those .1 books are usually shit from what I've experienced on MU

those .1 books are usually shit from what I've experienced on MU

Yeah I usually don't bother with them. I was hopeful because Kooky Quartet is a fun line up and I liked the creative team, but I think my interest in Mark Waid has grown a lot dimmer over the past year.

Meh. Dropped.

Danny Comics are the best...and they only cost a smile, publishers should take notes...

The winter update for the Xbox has added a thing called clubs, basically your own little hangout spot. The club's theme can be what you want, club rules whatever you want eg Mic mandatory, just text chat, age group,etc etc I.think you can have leaderboards, all sorts of things I think, I've not looked super deep yet. It hooks into the other new feature they've added, looking for group so you can tell you're group you're looking to play x game with so many people at this time and so on.

Lots of quality of life stuff but cool anyhow. This thread seems to have a bunch of xbox players so we should totally have a group. This is probably kind of useless for people with loads of friends online but I literally don't know anyone irl who plays games so it could be handy. Maybe finally get.to do the destiny stuff I haven't been able to play.

This sounds pretty cool. I'd join. Could do with a few Gears teammates.

tim1138

I'm not a big online multi-player kinda guy, but that sounds pretty cool

This sounds pretty cool. I'd join. Could do with a few Gears teammates.

I'm not a big online multi-player kinda guy, but that sounds pretty cool

Definitely, even if people just use it to nosy at everyone's achievements and what folks are playing for the most part, it could be cool.

I think I'll try and read more of Thor tonight, I really enjoyed what I read. Aaron is just so good, I'm thinking about jumping on his Star Wars book, grab the OHC. I'm not gaga for Star Wars but really it feels kind of wrong to be skipping an ongoing by him at this point.

Also just as a general thought, I may just start going OHC or bust for marvel in the future. I'm just not a big fan of their smaller trades, never have been. Whether it's slightness, pages going all wavy etc, they always seem to dissatisfy me. Only problem is how many series Marvel do that never go to OHC, I might be putting myself in a corner if I draw a line.

Otherwise, I've just been reading those King books I linked awhile back. Just finished off Revival. The ending was really unsettling hah creepiest stuff I've read in a good while, I think it'll haunt me for a few weeks. Otherwise it was mostly a book about growing up and growing old, I think he put a lot of himself in this one. There's a heavy helping of his love for rock and roll in there too. Onto Mr Mercedes next, excited for this one, it was deemed a big enough tale he wrote a trilogy so that's exciting.

Costia

To get started with marvel comics, should i start reading the 2006 civil war series or the new #1 issues of various heroes from 2015-2016? or something else?

tim1138

Definitely, even if people just use it to nosy at everyone's achievements and what folks are playing for the most part, it could be cool.

I think I'll try and read more of Thor tonight, I really enjoyed what I read. Aaron is just so good, I'm thinking about jumping on his Star Wars book, grab the OHC. I'm not gaga for Star Wars but really it feels kind of wrong to be skipping an ongoing by him at this point.

Also just as a general thought, I may just start going OHC or bust for marvel in the future. I'm just not a big fan of their smaller trades, never have been. Whether it's slightness, pages going all wavy etc, they always seem to dissatisfy me. Only problem is how many series Marvel do that never go to OHC, I might be putting myself in a corner if I draw a line.

Otherwise, I've just been reading those King books I linked awhile back. Just finished off Revival. The ending was really unsettling hah creepiest stuff I've read in a good while, I think it'll haunt me for a few weeks. Otherwise it was mostly a book about growing up and growing old, I think he put a lot of himself in this one. There's a heavy helping of his love for rock and roll in there too. Onto Mr Mercedes next, excited for this one, it was deemed a big enough tale he wrote a trilogy so that's exciting.

Sign me up for the club thing. My tag should be in my profile

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
All caught up on East of West. Not going to bother with the new arc in December. Book isn't for me.

TheFlow

Banned
From what I've heard Daredevil has been improving as it goes on and Soule is apparently building some stuff up for later stories. It still seems to be just average though.

man I have been reading that exact comment this whole year but nothing has changed.

there are too many good DD runs/arcs available that waiting for soule's dd to become better is wasted time.

love the suit though.

Bats/TMNT was one of the best surprise hits of this year

The original Batman x TMNT is legit one of my favorite mini series in decades of reading. Instant classic.

Need to crack open Adventures from yesterday, but it's guaranteed to be a compulsory cartoon by comparison, but I like the characters enough to make sure I have it and get whatever out of it.

VanWinkle

Bro, I'm already there and I'm loving it.

J9A56CR.jpg

I THINK here's what I still need to get:

Daredevil Vol. 4 and 5
GotG Vol. 3
Hawkeye Vol. 3 (will probably be last on my list)
Ms. Marvel Vol. 1
Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 2
Thor Vol. 3
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1
All-New X-Men Vol. 4

Avengers/New Avengers I will be reading via omnibus format. Also, I'm certainly not opposed to the random Complete/Epic/Ultimate collection trades. I'm not 100% not getting those. I'm just not getting regular trades.

Bro, I'm already there and I'm loving it.

I THINK here's what I still need to get:

Daredevil Vol. 4 and 5
GotG Vol. 3
Hawkeye Vol. 3 (will probably be last on my list)
Ms. Marvel Vol. 1
Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 2
Thor Vol. 3
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1
All-New X-Men Vol. 4

Avengers/New Avengers I will be reading via omnibus format. Also, I'm certainly not opposed to the random Complete/Epic/Ultimate collection trades. I'm not 100% not getting those. I'm just not getting regular trades.

Dude, these look gorgeous on your shelf. Such a nice clean consistent look, I really love them for that. I don't read a lot of Marvel books anyway and often fall way behind on the floppy trades as it is, so it could suit me for sure. Pictures like this definitely encourage me haha!

Did you ever get far with Charles Christopher btw??

VanWinkle

Dude, these look gorgeous on your shelf. Such a nice clean consistent look, I really love them for that. I don't read a lot of Marvel books anyway and often fall way behind on the floppy trades as it is, so it could suit me for sure. Pictures like this definitely encourage me haha!

Did you ever get far with Charles Christopher btw??

Yeah I love the look of them all together like that.

I just checked and I'm at November 12, 2008 right now. It's SO GOOD. I don't read it constantly but I've had my tab on it open on my desktop since the day you told me about it, LOL.

Watching my daughter read comics and noting (not for the first time) that she only ever reads comics in guided view, no matter how big the device she's using is.

I wonder how much the page layouts of artists like Bachalo will matter to a generation raised on guided view. If you don't hit the proper checkmark (she doesn't and doesn't want to) you never even see the layout when you turn the page.

I avoid using it altogether, personally. Unless I'm trying to see the words on a big spread, and when there's a bunch of small panels, arranged traditionally, on a spread like that, it can enhance my appreciation of the art somewhat. But I always step back and look at the whole image a few times.

VanWinkle

Watching my daughter read comics and noting (not for the first time) that she only ever reads comics in guided view, no matter how big the device she's using is.

I wonder how much the page layouts of artists like Bachalo will matter to a generation raised on guided view. If you don't hit the proper checkmark (she doesn't and doesn't want to) you never even see the layout when you turn the page.

I avoid using it altogether, personally. Unless I'm trying to see the words on a big spread, and when there's a bunch of small panels, arranged traditionally, on a spread like that, it can enhance my appreciation of the art somewhat. But I always step back and look at the whole image a few times.

Guided view makes me so mad. I LOVE to appreciate panel layouts and general structure of the page.

Think about Omega Men. It's such a traditional panel layout so at first glance you'd think Guided View would be perfectly fine. But the WAY those panels were arranged was SO methodical that it makes me sad to think there are people who went through the whole thing just with guided view.

Guided View is the bes. I even use it on my ipad Pro. But I do have it enabled to show the full page on exit to the next one so I can see the whole layout.

Hagi

Mother Panic was really cool, I haven't messed with any of the other YA stuff yet but I'm in for the whole of this. I love Violets character and costume designs, the whole book is great looking really. I'm interested in where this goes. Glad it's set in Gotham as well.

Top Bottom