• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Just catching up on the thread. That Hickman omnibus is £100 on Amazon UK what the fuck?

Yay, first I've heard of this. Was hoping they'd do an omnibus. A definite buy for me.

Amazon's omnibus prices are awful a lot of the time. They're trying to charge £60 for Ms Marvel's at the moment.

I see Kirsten's returning to Daredevil. Time to jump back in.

Damn, im buzzed sitting thinking about the dark crystal news. I always loved Jim Henson's stuff as a kid, the dark crystal, labyrinth, muppets treasure island, amazing. Getting a legit writer like Spurrier really increases my confidence in the project too.

That cover is the nuts. So good.

Right! Cover is incredible. I looked up the interior artists stuff too, impressive although the stuff I saw wasn't necessarily in the vein of the dark crystal so hard to imagine how it'll turn out

New small Harley fan art by Erin K Kavanagh to celebrate going pass their donation goal to Planned Parenthood etc:
img_333102sut.jpg

Mafro

Yay, first I've heard of this. Was hoping they'd do an omnibus. A definite buy for me.

Amazon's omnibus prices are awful a lot of the time. They're trying to charge £60 for Ms Marvel's at the moment.

I see Kirsten's returning to Daredevil. Time to jump back in.
The always gradually hike the prices up after launch so god knows what that Avengers one will go up to!

DC and Vertigo solicitations!

The one we've looked forward to:
THE WILD STORM #1

Written by WARREN ELLIS • Art and cover by JON DAVIS-HUNT • Variant cover by TULA LOTAY • 1:50 variant by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS • 1:100 pencils-only variant by JIM LEE
Retailers: This issue will ship with four covers. Please see the order form for details.

A troubled woman, barred by her employer from continuing her research, walks miserably through New York City. It takes her a moment to notice that everybody else is looking up. A man has been thrown from the upper floor of the Halo skyscraper.
And that woman—Angela Spica, sick from the transhuman implants she’s buried in her own body—is the only person who can save him.
What she doesn’t know is that the act of saving that one man will tip over a vast and secret house of cards that encloses the entire world, if not the inner solar system. This is how the Wild Storm begins, and it may destroy covert power structures, secret space programs and even all of human history.

New York Times best-selling writer Warren Ellis (TRANSMETROPOLITAN, RED, THE AUTHORITY) returns to DC to curate Jim Lee’s WildStorm world, with this debut issue resetting the WildStorm universe with new iterations of Grifter, Voodoo, the Engineer, Jenny Sparks and others.

“I couldn’t be more excited to see these characters that are so near and dear to me reintroduced under the guiding hand of Warren Ellis. WildStorm represents an incredibly fun and exciting period in my career, and I can’t wait to see what Warren and Jon have in store for fans in February.”—Jim Lee, DC Comics Co-Publisher

On sale FEBRUARY 15 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+

shingi70

Banned
Man Cyborg is an interesting book at times. On one hand I hate that they've captain marveled him and got rid of some powers and a small reset focused on who is Victor Stone. That said the book is most compelling when it isn't focused on Victor as Superhero but him as a Man not only a Black man but a disabled one. The last run started to have some interesting things before David Walker left the book, and John Semper is leaning a bit more into that.

The whole idea of is he a man or monster made from science is pretty well worn trope and something that DC seems to be obsessed to push with Cyborg. I like the current flavor of it that they're doing with pushing his Father into and the importance that's been put on him as being the first Modern Cyborg character in universe (though i'm pretty sure I can name a few in universe that predate Victor). That said the fact that Victor Stone is a young man with disabilities is something that can lead to better story telling that the whole freak of nature and like most peoplewith physical disabilities its something he has to wear on his chest for the whole world to see.

I loved these panels from cyborg #5.

Now i'm not only a black man, but I'm also a Native Detroit another reason why this book alongside Green Lanterns gets my support. The last run of Cyborg never really interact with people outside of the New Detroit (Mid, cork, and downtown). So seeing Victor interact with the parts of the city that don't have a ton of money invested in a great thing to see. It's especially poignant to see one of the supporting cast members tell Vic that he doesn't understand the city and lived a bougie life style.

TLDR: I really like what John Semper Jr is doing on Cyborg, its not the best book in the rebirth line up but like Doctor Fate its a hidden Gem.

kmfdmpig

The first few pages of the last issue of Cyborg, as you say, were solid. The threat analysis he had for each person, including the racist cops, was good. The problem is that the action scenes in that book seem to be lacking and the writing gets dumb when it shifts to a heavier focus on action. I'd like to see more character development like the panels you posted.

Incredible lol. I've been following the modern age of marvel events since disassembled amd this is still made me pause. An event people don't want as it is taking this long. Oh dear.

What gets me is that Marvel is already releasing books that assume people know the ending to Civil War II. We do. You don't have to release the rest of the event, Marvel. We get it.

Next thing with Gwenpool in it:

Those horrified expressions make me think they all just looked in a mirror. Good lord, who drew that cover? Speaking of covers, look at this:

Jesus Christ. Can we get a new artist for this book? Quinones draws MAC looking like a fucking middle-aged mom.

Looks good. Check out this Carebear Stare:

giphy.gif

So you guys are saying that this current Cyborg ongoing is doing what Cyborg needed to do for me to get interested in him? Which is focus on Victor Stone as a person and not just as some technological superhero or some allegory for how technology affects us today?

DC and Vertigo solicitations!

The one we've looked forward to:

THE WILD STORM #1

Written by WARREN ELLIS • Art and cover by JON DAVIS-HUNT • Variant cover by TULA LOTAY • 1:50 variant by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS • 1:100 pencils-only variant by JIM LEE
Retailers: This issue will ship with four covers. Please see the order form for details.

Ellis doing Ellis things.

New York Times best-selling writer Warren Ellis (TRANSMETROPOLITAN, RED, THE AUTHORITY) returns to DC to curate Jim Lee’s WildStorm world, with this debut issue resetting the WildStorm universe with new iterations of Grifter, Voodoo, the Engineer, Jenny Sparks and others.

“I couldn’t be more excited to see Warren Ellis do the things that Warren Ellis does. WildStorm represents an incredibly fun and exciting period in my career, but Warren Ellis did all the good stuff.”—Jim Lee, DC Comics Co-Publisher

On sale FEBRUARY 15 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+

Fixed.

tim1138

I am so excited for the Wildstorm relaunch, the only way it could have been better is if Ellis was doing a new volume of Planetary.

I am so excited for the Wildstorm relaunch, the only way it could have been better is if Ellis was doing a new volume of Planetary.

Heh. Honestly, I like Planetary as it is. If they made another series my omnibus would be obsolete, and I do like it so very much. Definitely looking forward to Wild Storm, though.

Messi

I'm waiting for the Rocafort cover for America just to make everyone cry at what we could of had.

If we are talking dream picks. I'd kill for McKelvie. He is the best America artist. But it's never gonna happen.

Very happy with Quinones.

He also sells originals so I'm gonna get in on that shit.

If we are talking dream picks. I'd kill for McKelvie. He is the best America artist. But it's never gonna happen.

Very happy with Quinones.

He also sells originals so I'm gonna get in on that shit.

Don't get me wrong, I like Quinones, but he drew her face poorly in that cover. That is not the MAC I know. But maybe she is harder to recognize when she is not hitting Carol with a chair.

I'll be honest, I always enjoyed street level stuff more and character focus so when comics take a normally "big time" hero or at least one who isn't a street level character all the time and focus on those things, like this Cyborg run, it has me much more interested.

I think that's half the reason the new Vision series worked so well. It was character work through and through.

I'll be honest, I always enjoyed street level stuff more and character focus so when comics take a normally "big time" hero or at least one who isn't a street level character all the time and focus on those things, like this Cyborg run, it has me much more interested.

I think that's half the reason the new Vision series worked so well. It was character work through and through.

That's how things usually work. When you have a book that's smaller in scope with fewer characters, you have more time to flesh everything out than with something like an Avengers book, where you're trying to tell the story of 5+ world-class heroes. You just don't have all the time you'd like to tell their personal stories in addition to the overarching plot. That's why Avengers usually have solo books as well.

Boogiepop

Nice, Rumble is on sale! I remember some folks mentioning waiting for it to hit sale awhile back

Invisible Republic is a really cool book too, folks should give that a look :) & Southern Cross. Those are the three I like outside of the obvious books that I'd say have a loo kat the previews and maybe take a chance.

I said this, and I'm definitely on it.

Also, I read the Dark Phoenix proper part of the Dark Phoenix saga last night, and yup. That's good comics. That said, at the end... the prior issue had ended on the somber moment of the death of Jean Grey. The cover for this issue I'm about to read has Cyclops walking away from the X-men after those events. It opens on a funeral in the first page. Right at the top of that cover? I big old banner advertising a contest for a Toys R Us shopping spree! Caught me off guard with how impossibly out of place that felt.

Is it just me or is the current Squad lineup nowhere near the same power level as the League

It seems like it would only take a couple JLers to take them all on

Is that a grenade pin in Harley's mouth?
Yupperroonie
I said this, and I'm definitely on it.

Also, I read the Dark Phoenix proper part of the Dark Phoenix saga last night, and yup. That's good comics. That said, at the end... the prior issue had ended on the somber moment of the death of Jean Grey. The cover for this issue I'm about to read has Cyclops walking away from the X-men after those events. It opens on a funeral in the first page. Right at the top of that cover? I big old banner advertising a contest for a Toys R Us shopping spree! Caught me off guard with how impossibly out of place that felt.

Dark Phoenix Saga is some damn good comics. DAMN GOOD COMICS

Ross61

Is it just me or is the current Squad lineup nowhere near the same power level as the League

It seems like it would only take a couple JLers to take them all on
With who they got now, and how they've been upgraded I can see how it won't be that easy. Plus with the introduction of a third party, I don't think it's gonna play out simple.

Top Bottom