• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Whenever i see Batwoman in a dc promotional piece or Batverse cover, i see her as a corporate bat-thing clone that exists to have another batbook.

And i still buy Snyder's Batman :p

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yup. It's set in LA, about several psychologists who decided together to basically mess with their various patients for fun by telling giving them all sorts of bogus advice and diagnosis, and the consequences of their actions. Makes me think a little of Transhuman if you've read that, which I really liked, but with Hickman's own art. Found another fantastic promo piece:

That's what was announced in like, 2011 though, and the project has been awhile in the making with no updates. I assume it will still concern those events and it's really just his high work schedule holding it back, but who knows, he might have changed things too.

EDIT: Managed to hunt down a podcast where he discussed the book in March. Effectively the book's delay comes down to a few things: The story felt like it could be a lot more once he started working on it. Pre-orders were so much bigger than they originally expected, they kind of gave him and Image the motivation to let it become a bigger thing and take the time, and then pretty much because he delayed it, Hickman doesn't want to discuss it or anything until it's completely done, so he doesn't give people the impression he'll just say any date then keep delaying. Reconfirmed it'll be a nice hardcover when it comes though. Even since March and that podcast went up though, his duties at Marvel have skyrocketed further, so I guess it'll be done when it's done. He talked about talking a year off mainstream books at some point so he could really dig in and do some work that he could draw too.

Hickman gave an update on Feel Better Now at the con. Comicbookresources passes the detail along:

Hickman also gave an update on "Feel Better Now," which he is writing and drawing. He's roughly 40 pages in and intends to finish it once his Marvel work has slowed down, which he says is coming up soon.

tm24

Dammit, i forgot to cancel my order of Fantastic Four Omni by Hickman at amazon. Now i have two on the way :( Guess i lose out on 4 bucks returning it

Hickman gave an update on Feel Better Now at the con. Comicbookresources passes the detail along:

Nice find man, that's good news to hear. Although, you know I was thinking. I absolutely love that from the nightly news through to his new manhattan projects etc, he has always keeps the spines of the trades the exact same style, so they all match up perfectly on the bookshelf. The fact this is coming out hardcover and none of the rest did, will probably drive me a bit nuts haha.

tim1138

Read my Forever Evil related books on the bus coming into work this morning and JLA was the best of the bunch I think. I liked Rogue's Rebellion and Pandora well enough, but Matt Kindt just writes such a perfect MMH. This issue begins his short run on the book focusing on Stargirl and MMH, and reveals what happened to various members of the Leagues.

Whenever i see Batwoman in a dc promotional piece or Batverse cover, i see her as a corporate bat-thing clone that exists to have another batbook.

And i still buy Snyder's Batman :p

Except it's probably the single bat book that mostly exists outside the standard bruce wayne batman reach.

Except it's probably the single bat book that mostly exists outside the standard bruce wayne batman reach.

Yea, I wrote something earlier in this thread about how Batwoman, more than any of the other bat books, deserves to be told outside of the core Batman book. Personally, I would see a ot of books in the batline folded into the core batman book, but from the stories being told, the themes being explored, the way the story is told with the art, and so on, Batwoman earns its own book. To each their own though, everyone can think what they think (and should), but I really agree that Batwoman is the furthest book away on the batline from being a cash in.

Messi

Travel an hour on the bus to the store today to get my books. I buy:

Hawkguy #13
Batwoman #23 and #24

Get on the bus home and realize I forgot to pick up Wonder Woman. Feels bad man. I need a better way to track my pickups. Are there comic apps for that?

Owzers

Yea, I wrote something earlier in this thread about how Batwoman, more than any of the other bat books, deserves to be told outside of the core Batman book. Personally, I would see a ot of books in the batline folded into the core batman book, but from the stories being told, the themes being explored, the way the story is told with the art, and so on, Batwoman earns its own book. To each their own though, everyone can think what they think (and should), but I really agree that Batwoman is the furthest book away on the batline from being a cash in.

To me, it's like watching sausage being made. When Didio says Batwoman can't have a marriage because Batman doesn't, it's creepy from a creativity standpoint. Equally creepy is pretending away Aquaman and Mera's marriage.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Read my Forever Evil related books on the bus coming into work this morning and JLA was the best of the bunch I think. I liked Rogue's Rebellion and Pandora well enough, but Matt Kindt just writes such a perfect MMH. This issue begins his short run on the book focusing on Stargirl and MMH, and reveals what happened to various members of the Leagues.

I just wanted to say that I met Matt Kindt at Comic-Con and the dude is legitimately super nice and super cool. I talked to him about Frankenstein and about how he WAS co-writing it all along despite DC not putting his name on the issues, and then he burned a page of a book of his I bought.

So, basically, Matt Kindt is the fucking man.

tim1138

I just wanted to say that I met Matt Kindt at Comic-Con and the dude is legitimately super nice and super cool. I talked to him about Frankenstein and about how he WAS co-writing it all along despite DC not putting his name on the issues, and then he burned a page of a book of his I bought.

That's awesome, I've interacted with him on Twitter a few times and he seemed super cool. Good to hear that's the reality as well.

To me, it's like watching sausage being made. When Didio says Batwoman can't have a marriage because Batman doesn't, it's creepy from a creativity standpoint. Equally creepy is pretending away Aquaman and Mera's marriage.

Oh right, I didn't realise you were referring to that whole thing, it seemed like you were just saying the book was redundant, in the vein of say, Finch's the dark knight.

Paolo rivera wedding invitation is pretty rad

wedding-invite-col.jpg

ReiGun

Oh right, I didn't realise you were referring to that whole thing, it seemed like you were just saying the book was just saying it was redundant, in the vein of say, Finch's the dark knight.
I still don't know why this book exists. What does it do that the other million bat books can't? I mean, besides have "Dark Knight" in the title.

tim1138

Besides Batman Incorporated, which I think launched around the same time.

But then, why does it still exist? What does it do? What is its place?

To justify that David Finch exclusive contract (even though I don't think he's been involved with it for the past year)?

Beats me, I've never read it.

Every generation blames the one before
And all of their frustrations
Come beating on your door

I know that I'm a prisoner
To all my Father held so dear
I know that I am a hostage
To all his hopes and fears
I just wished I could've told him in the living years

I'm going to miss you Cisco Ramon...... :(

Penguin

Speaking of Bat-books, read Batman/Superman 4.
Liked the issue well enough, but it had a huge hurdle to overcome since it needed to fit into the New 52's TL and does it in a silly manner.

arkon

Did he mention how much of it he was doing? Like was it Lemire plotting and then Kindt took the rest of it?

That's a damn shame. I attributed a lot of that earlier success to Lemire. To think somebody was going uncredited for that work...

-I'm digging Zero, the flashback issue really gave some context to #1's story and furthered my interest in the characters and the world of The Agency. Some very slick action storytelling by Kot/Moore near the end as well.

-Hawkeye needs to get the fuck over the Grills murder thing

-Battle of the Atom is hot garbage in which the characters people care about are locked in a closet during the 50th anniversary event while Bachalo draws some incoherent action scenes between characters nobody gives a fuck about, and have vague motivations

-WTF Superior Spider-man

/impressions

tim1138

Every generation blames the one before
And all of their frustrations
Come beating on your door

I know that I'm a prisoner
To all my Father held so dear
I know that I am a hostage
To all his hopes and fears
I just wished I could've told him in the living years

I'm going to miss you Cisco Ramon...... :(

I hold out hope that post Forever Evil he's gonna be promoted to the main League and get superstar treatment from Johns.

You aren't kidding, that was absolutely nuts. I wonder
who is going to be on the 2099 book
?

The whole world of Spider-Man is getting pretty crazy. Your right, could 2099 get his own book now? The rumors of Miles coming over. That's 3 Spider-Man in one city. Now it's only a matter of time until Spock gets outed. Goblin stuff on deck. It's getting fun.

Edit and here it is? Don't click until you read 19.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10...oilers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The whole world of Spider-Man is getting pretty crazy. Your right, could 2099 get his own book now? The rumors of Miles coming over. That's 3 Spider-Man in one city. Now it's only a matter of time until Spock gets outed. Goblin stuff on deck. It's getting fun.

Edit and here it is? Don't click until you read 19.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10...oilers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Considering
Carlie has the proof she needs and Peter's back in Otto's head,
this is all going to come caving in on Otto really fast. That scene where
Spock realizes that he wasn't shit compared to Peter
was so good. I loved that panel.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
getting back into things. Just picked up the comixology Walking Dead complete bundle and making my way through that.

what are the best super hero books right now? I will accept both "coolest most original shit being done today" as well as "if you liked 70s and 80s comics especially x-men"

]
Considering
Carlie has the proof she needs and Peter's back in Otto's head,
this is all going to come caving in on Otto really fast. That scene where
Spock realizes that he wasn't shit compared to Peter
was so good. I loved that panel.

Hmm, I didn't get that Peter is back in his head. Reference? Also, the scene you mentioned and the telephone call with Mary Jane really hurt ocks ego.

...is that a brain bug in the back?

One of the Ohmus from Nausicaa. His wife is a big fan of Miyazaki, and the aisles seem evenly divided between her interests(Game of Thrones, Sound of Music, Tintin, Hunger Games, Twilight, etc) and Paolo's more superhero flavored interests(Bruce Timm Batman and Robin, Indiana Jones and Short Round, Terminator and the Connors, The Thundercats, etc)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Another awesome issue of Hawkguy, another Hawkguy avatar. Might go back to Pizza Dog eventually, but I love this panel. The whole issue was great. Such a fantastic book.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
]

Hmm, I didn't get that Peter is back in his head. Reference? Also, the scene you mentioned and the telephone call with Mary Jane really hurt ocks ego.

It was the bottom part of that two page spread. You can just make him out in those four bottom panels. He's forcing his way back in.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Did he mention how much of it he was doing? Like was it Lemire plotting and then Kindt took the rest of it?

That's a damn shame. I attributed a lot of that earlier success to Lemire. To think somebody was going uncredited for that work...

Nah, he didn't mention what the work breakdown was but if you were to ask me, I'd say that Kindt helped a lot with the plotting/story while Lemire did the actual writing, because you can see a distinct shift in writing, specifically Frank speaking a lot more, once Kindt "officially" took over the book.

He wasn't credited within the actual comic, which is a huge fucking shame, but I recall once the writer-shift was announced, Jeff Lemire said he'd had Kindt as his "secret" co-contributor the entire time, so it was in good hands.

Fuck Vibe, Frankenstein was the original New52 heartbreaker after news spread of its cancellation.

It was the bottom part of that two page spread. You can just make him out in those four bottom panels. He's forcing his way back in.

ha, The art was so good in the top panels that when my brain got to those green panels at the bottom I didn't give them much thought. Thanks.

sca2511

getting back into things. Just picked up the comixology Walking Dead complete bundle and making my way through that.

what are the best super hero books right now? I will accept both "coolest most original shit being done today" as well as "if you liked 70s and 80s comics especially x-men"
They have a complete bundle? Or did you get all the collected editions?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
They have a complete bundle? Or did you got all the collected editions?

Over the weekend they ran issues 1-114 for $99. It didn't show up in the ipad app though. In the app only the single issues (99¢) and collections ($5.99) were available. The $99 bundle was on the web only (but obviously still are then available on ipad)

Veelk

Banned
I'm considering getting the current Legends of the Dark Knight series. Can anyone tell me if it's good and what it is about that separates it from the mainstream Batman stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom