• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
rich man JEKKI in da house!!

I got money got mo mo mo money!!

serisouly, I got $12 in google play money coz of a google groupon I bought last year that I never used!!

even tho I did use it! lol,

but the lady at the fried chicken store just wrote my code down on a notepad ^_^v

so I should spend it on comics!! what should I buy?!?! lol.

thinking of the Ales Kot Suicide Squad run?

or jump onto the Gail Simone Red Sonja issues?

maybe some TMNT Foot Clan Origin or Villain Micros?

I'm a rich man, but not rich enough to buy them all -_-

I've been loving Simone's Red Sonja! Issue 4 recently dropped and it's a good jumping on point, I think. But the beginning would be best, perhaps. Either way, I recommend anyone curious about the book to check it out.

I liked Batman and TwoFace and don't really have a problem with the reimagining of his origin. Tomasi is solid and I think this will be a fun arc.

Infinity is a boring piece of shit.

1bHz2Cm.jpg

JEKKI

TMNT Origin of the Foot Clan is fucking great.
aw man, your use of the F word makes quite a compelling argument,

I just may have to take your advice!!

I've been loving Simone's Red Sonja! Issue 4 recently dropped and it's a good jumping on point, I think. But the beginning would be best, perhaps. Either way, I recommend anyone curious about the book to check it out.
my reluctance to pick up Red Sonja tho has to do with there's already enough issues to make a trade.

problem is a quick internet search didnt find me any info about trade release date and what issues'll be in it

I could easily pick up all the issues now, but getting the trade may be just as good a decision, I jus wish I knew more about it >_<

Thor: God of Thunder 1-11: Okay, so this is actually the first ongoing Marvel Comic I decided to read. I've only become a comic book fan since the new 52 started and really have only been reading DC stuff (though I have read famous comics before the new 52. I don't know why I waited so long to start, but...). I bring this up because, having known almost exclusively DC comics, I heard plenty of complaints in the gaf comic threads about lack of 'fun' in their books, while Marvel's is chalk full of it. God of Thunder seemed to get recommended a lot for it's funness.

And it was fun. I did enjoy seeing Thor's being badass and stuff. But while it was enjoyable in the kind of 'popcorn movie' sort of way, the story was just throwing out concepts just to sound cool without really explaining stuff how it worked. That kind of stuff always takes me out of the story, because I always want to be told how it works and can do this impossible thing. Is this really the tone or style that 'fun' advocates want other comics, particularly DC's, to be? I'm not asking that in a negative way, I'm just honestly curious, since up until now, I've only been reading 'unfun' books like Snyder's stuff and hated the 'fun' stuff like Morrison's books. I just want to be sure I understand the perspective right.

Honestly most comics are like this. Comics like Thor compound this because part of his mystique is that he is a god who doesn't really belong in our world or even space/time concept. Generally by "fun" people mean the complete opposite of what you seem to want. Fun means turning your brain off and looking at all the colors and action and weird scenarios. The best advice I can give you is to either try pout a bunch of stuff or check things out from the library until you are more sure if the style that you like. I'm never afraid to read something I won't like because ultimately a single comic is not a huge time commitmentand sometimes you'll be surprised by what you like.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Infinity is one of the best events yet. It's juggling many balls at once and it somehow works. Definitely not the most accessible event however. People who did not read Hickman's entire Avengers run(s) so far could easily get lost.

Ow wow was Justice League of America good. What an excellent setting for these characters. I have two books to read still but I can tell the comic of the week will be between this and Superior Spidey.

Man, Matt Kindt's JLA was fucking great. Like, fuck, that Flash scene, man, whoa, fuck, dang, This guy gets it. And also the Superman thing is perfect. Dang.

Nailed my thoughts reading it.

Veelk

Banned
Honestly most comics are like this. Comics like Thor compound this because part of his mystique is that he is a god who doesn't really belong in our world or even space/time concept. Generally by "fun" people mean the complete opposite of what you seem to want. Fun means turning your brain off and looking at all the colors and action and weird scenarios. The best advice I can give you is to either try pout a bunch of stuff or check things out from the library until you are more sure if the style that you like. I'm never afraid to read something I won't like because ultimately a single comic is not a huge time commitmentand sometimes you'll be surprised by what you like.

Well, Snyder's batman doesn't seem to be like this. Atleast for the most part. His technology can get a bit ridiculous at times with how advanced it is, but even then, he tends to use it for poignant scenes like the bat crashing through the window rather than just "lol, isn't this cool?" I mean, don't get me wrong. I did enjoy it, so I get the appeal. But, given the choice, I'd prefer to have a serious, meaningful Thor story. At the end of the story, I found it wierd how the deaths of millions of gods was not really a big deal once the guy was killed, how past or present Thor didn't seem to develop their characters much at all, and the Thors for some reason forgot it in the end anyway. Entertaining, but it lacked consequences despite it being one of the biggest events in the universe.

But yeah, the next comics on my list would be Captain America, Dare Devil, Hawkeye, and some others. Not in that order either. I'm happy to try it, it's just a bit strange to me, because almost every other medium tries to make you use your brain. It'd odd to me that comic fans want it off.

pa22word

Bleh, anyone know some good Batman oneshots that are on comixology that are worth reading?

Also I hope you all dig my new avatar :p

Well, Snyder's batman doesn't seem to be like this. Atleast for the most part. His technology can get a bit ridiculous at times with how advanced it is, but even then, he tends to use it for poignant scenes like the bat crashing through the window rather than just "lol, isn't this cool?" I mean, don't get me wrong. I did enjoy it, so I get the appeal. But, given the choice, I'd prefer to have a serious, meaningful Thor story. At the end of the story, I found it wierd how the deaths of millions of gods was not really a big deal once the guy was killed, how past or present Thor didn't seem to develop their characters much at all, and the Thors for some reason forgot it in the end anyway. Entertaining, but it lacked consequences despite it being one of the biggest events in the universe.

But yeah, the next comics on my list would be Captain America, Dare Devil, Hawkeye, and some others. Not in that order either. I'm happy to try it, it's just a bit strange to me, because almost every other medium tries to make you use your brain. It'd odd to me that comic fans want it off.
I use my brain all damn day. I just want to read some funny books. Cars, splosions,boobs, lazers, spider-based powers, flying, magic, zoom, pow, crack. I just slogged through two foucault books today. I don't want to read Hickman's latest dissertation. But I'm glad comics as a medium are rich enough to support many different narrative styles.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

I fucking love BB.

I'm assuming this is from Infinites? Can you or anyone really gimme a super down and dirty summary on what's goin on? And how Boltigar got amped up enough to warcry No as some poor boob?

Looks like i'll be spending money on comics for the first time in a LOOONG time now that Gaiman's return to sandman is finally comin to shelves. Pretty fuckin amped to see Dream go to war...

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Bleh, anyone know some good Batman oneshots that are on comixology that are worth reading?

Also I hope you all dig my new avatar :p

Batman Mad Love and The Man Who Laughs are definitely worth checking out.

I'd recommend you the Planetary/Batman one shot as well, but I'm not sure if you are familiar with the former series (which is AWESOME, by the way. I totally recommend you taking a look at that series)

I don't turn my brain off when I read comics. Cartoons are my brainless entertainment. And I agree about wanting to read comics that have, if not depth, than angles. Something. Not just superficial silliness. Nothing wrong with it but superficial silliness combined with punching is not the magic comics combination for me.

I've been reading Infinity but none of the Avengers/New Avengers or tie-ins, am I missing out on much?
You're missing on Avengers and NA. The tie-ins are mostly forgettable and non-essential but both these titles are part of the main story and have events that take place there the main title assumes you know.

Deprive

I've been reading Infinity but none of the Avengers/New Avengers or tie-ins, am I missing out on much?

Avengers is somewhat boring. But New Avengers is fun. You can tell what book Hickman really likes writing.

Also that Superior Spidey issue. Guess I'm wrong about the whole Norman thing. Or maybe not hmmmm...

8bit

Knows the Score
Is anyone still reading Xmen Legacy? It's a great series and
I think they just half-revealed who future Xavier is

It's possible, but I thought everything in that book was self contained so I'd be surprised if it was.

monome

How would Peter be back? I thought Otto was just displaced in time, and then brought back?

page has Otto digging through Parker's memory ending with a three panels depiction of a shadowy silouhette (Peter Parker) emerging from under rock.
Can't make it more explicit that Otto has probably dug a little too far

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I use my brain all damn day. I just want to read some funny books. Cars, splosions,boobs, lazers, spider-based powers, flying, magic, zoom, pow, crack. I just slogged through two foucault books today. I don't want to read Hickman's latest dissertation. But I'm glad comics as a medium are rich enough to support many different narrative styles.

this makes me sad inside. "I don't want to think" is what's wrong with the world, man. And if you're smart enough to be reading Foucault then you're smart enough to know better.

I fucking love BB.

I'm assuming this is from Infinites? Can you or anyone really gimme a super down and dirty summary on what's goin on? And how Boltigar got amped up enough to warcry No as some poor boob?

Looks like i'll be spending money on comics for the first time in a LOOONG time now that Gaiman's return to sandman is finally comin to shelves. Pretty fuckin amped to see Dream go to war...

Spoilers for Infinity so far I guess:
Black Bolt is shouting at Thanos who has come to earth while the Avengers are all off in space. Turns out the Inhumans have been sheltering Thanos' son who is also part inhuman. I won't spoil the end of #4 for you but what happens to Thanos Jr is brilliant. This has been the best thing I've seen BB involved in too

IMO Infinity has been real good so far, very satisfying payoff to the groundwork laid in Avengers. It feels like what's happening now has actual weight behind it.

it's just a bit strange to me, because almost every other medium tries to make you use your brain. It'd odd to me that comic fans want it off.

Bizarre statement. You read a book that didn't satisfy you, try one of the other 400 published each month. EXACTLY like other mediums, there are books that are equivalent to big budget action movies that aren't very trying and plenty entertaining, there's comedies, thrillers. You want it, it's out there. The only problem (some might say) with the comics medium is one or two genres sell and get a lot more publicity than the rest that potentially holds the industry back from growing to the size of other mediums but a) that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with superhero comics that are big dumb fun and b) that the rest doesn't exist, you just have to look a little harder. Even these points are purely opinion, some people are just happy with comics as they are. If they are also the ones putting down the majority of the cash, they're the ones driving the industry and it doesn't mean they are idiots.

Making stupid generalisations about fans of the medium won't change that. You would have been better asking about the kind of books you'd like to read.

Superior Spoiler :

Peter Parker back from the grave(mind) thanks to a Time shenanigan?!

pretty weak.

Time doesn't have anything to do with it.

Otto was desperately trying to access the remnants of parker's memory so intently and for so long for the formula to disarm the bomb that what was left of parker ended up breaking back through. his "wipe" wasn't complete, just as his overwriting of parker's mind in the first place wasn't complete.

monome

Time doesn't have anything to do with it.

Otto was desperately trying to access the remnants of parker's memory so intently and for so long for the formula to disarm the bomb that what was left of parker ended up breaking back through. his "wipe" wasn't complete, just as his overwriting of parker's mind in the first place wasn't complete.

that's why I'm calling the reveal "weak". could/should be made outside that situation.

bring Parker back and stranding O'Hara in the same event was squeazzing too many spidermen in one instant IMO

still eagerly waiting for the payoffs of this, IMO, weak issue.

Rich is saying that supposedly they said there is going to be a 2099 book during their Marvel Digital subscription panel. All New Marvel Now Again The Second is coming. Gotta have Doctor Strange on that one though....

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
that's why I'm calling the reveal "weak". could/should be made outside that situation.

bring Parker back and stranding O'Hara in the same event was squeazzing too many spidermen in one instant IMO

still eagerly waiting for the payoffs of this, IMO, weak issue.

Hardly anyone noticed it without it being pointed out to them though. I know when I was talking about it in the thread yesterday no one who I was talking with had really noticed it but me. We'll get a proper reveal soon enough.

Looking through the Image january solicits, their output is incredible right now. Crazy to think that once these books hit trade, I'll be picking up around 16-17 of those titles, and that's me trying to keep it trimmed down to what I think is unmissable.

Rich is saying that supposedly they said there is going to be a 2099 book during their Marvel Digital subscription panel. All New Marvel Now Again The Second is coming. Gotta have Doctor Strange on that one though....

2099 is becoming strangely important lately. I saw Doom 2099 will be returning in uncanny Avengers and could only think "why?" Here.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Nu Two-Face origin in Batman & Robin is fucking brutal. I don't know who Erin McKillen really is yet, but what a fucking introduction to a character--she a bad bitch.

Also, Tomasi is picking up the Ra's Al Ghul thread from Batman, Inc., which is fantastic

On a sidenote, can somebody spoil Rogue's Rebellion for me? I fucking love the Rogues but refuse to read them when they're written by that clown Buchawhatever.

monome

Hardly anyone noticed it without it being pointed out to them though. I know when I was talking about it in the thread yesterday no one who I was talking with had really noticed it but me. We'll get a proper reveal soon enough.

probably easier to see on tablet vs paper.

tim1138

Nu Two-Face origin in Batman & Robin is fucking brutal. I don't know who Erin McKillen really is yet, but what a fucking introduction to a character--she a bad bitch.

Also, Tomasi is picking up the Ra's Al Ghul thread from Batman, Inc., which is fantastic

On a sidenote, can somebody spoil Rogue's Rebellion for me? I fucking love the Rogues but refuse to read them when they're written by that clown Buchawhatever.

Spoilers ahoy!
The Rogues return to Central City to discover it looks like a warzone. Buildings destroyed, the city is generally in ruins. They find the Central City PD chained to trees and set them free. They know Grodd is behind the destruction but dunno how. Plastique, Typhoon, and Black Bison show up as representatives from the CSA and get beaten down by the Rogues like the Z list villains they are. The issue ends with Death storm and Power Ring showing up.

Honestly it wasn't a bad issue. I kinda wonder if Manapul wasn't the weak link on the writing side since he co-plotted, and the couple issues where Buccaleto wrote solo weren't bad (the Barry/Hal story in this years annual and the Grodd villain's book).

Penguin

I came to talk Rogues' Rebellion.

Always a fan of the group, and it was a great read. I found the fights visually engaging and all the Rogues got a month to shine.

tim1138

The worst part of Rogues Rebellion was the artist change mid book. It started out with Patrick Zircher than switched to someone whose name escapes me, but had a style similar to Mike Mignola.

Thinking of picking on this weeks Animal Man as its artist is Rafael Albuquerque [who I really admire], is this going to be a good starting off point?
From what I read, some story arc finished in the last issue.

Splatt

Thinking of picking on this weeks Animal Man as its artist is Rafael Albuquerque [who I really admire], is this going to be a good starting off point?
From what I read, some story arc finished in the last issue.

I don't think it's a good starting point. I'd wait for the next issue.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
SNIPPED SPOILERS

Honestly it wasn't a bad issue. I kinda wonder if Manapul wasn't the weak link on the writing side since he co-plotted, and the couple issues where Buccaleto wrote solo weren't bad (the Barry/Hal story in this years annual and the Grodd villain's book).

Thanks, Tim! Again, the actual plot points sound good. I love when The Rogues throwdown with other villains--especially when those villains underestimate them--and give them the business.

I just think the team of Manapul and that other guy are not a good writer/artist duo for comics because they're both artists and it shows. There's a flatness to each and every character they attempt to write and there's no real strong characterizations at all. The small Rogues' moments in Forever Evil 1 were stronger than anything that Boochastilleto has done for Captain Cold and company.

Despite that, I'm happy the Rogues are getting attention because they deserve it. Such a cool team of villains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom