• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

Indeed.
TDK1TwoFace.jpg
But.... he still has two faces...

Dead

well not really...yet
Paolo rivera wedding invitation is pretty rad

wedding-invite-col.jpg
This made me think of of that forum post that gets posted in all the creepy fanart/furry/whatever thread about that dude saying its his birthday and declaring all characters across TV, movies, comics and videogames gather for a party or some shit.

I cant find the pic lol

I'm considering getting the current Legends of the Dark Knight series. Can anyone tell me if it's good and what it is about that separates it from the mainstream Batman stuff?

If your a fan of the Batman, it's worth it. You get a look of different writers and artist doing shorts on their take of the character. Issue 12 had one of my favorite character studies of Bruce and Batman that I have ever read.

Wool

This made me think of of that forum post that gets posted in all the creepy fanart/furry/whatever thread about that dude saying its his birthday and declaring all characters across TV, movies, comics and videogames gather for a party or some shit.

I cant find the pic lol

vcgtturuge.gif

getting back into things. Just picked up the comixology Walking Dead complete bundle and making my way through that.

what are the best super hero books right now? I will accept both "coolest most original shit being done today" as well as "if you liked 70s and 80s comics especially x-men"

First category:
Hawkeye
Young Avengers
Wonder Woman
Insufferable (digital only, I think)

Second category:
DAREDEVIL
Batman (Snyder's stuff just reminds me of the Denny O'Neil era)

The X-Books are in the Battle of the Atom crossover ATM, but I'd recommend Wolverine and the X-Men and adjective-less X-Men.

I'm considering getting the current Legends of the Dark Knight series. Can anyone tell me if it's good and what it is about that separates it from the mainstream Batman stuff?

It's the digital first; out of continuity Batman stories. Basically, it's a platform for writers to, anthology style, just write Batman stories without having to be worried about fitting into a current timeline or story arc. They've been consistently good to great and I highly recommend them.

arkon

Nah, he didn't mention what the work breakdown was but if you were to ask me, I'd say that Kindt helped a lot with the plotting/story while Lemire did the actual writing, because you can see a distinct shift in writing, specifically Frank speaking a lot more, once Kindt "officially" took over the book.

He wasn't credited within the actual comic, which is a huge fucking shame, but I recall once the writer-shift was announced, Jeff Lemire said he'd had Kindt as his "secret" co-contributor the entire time, so it was in good hands.

Ah. I wonder if Kindt was responsible for some of the wacky ideas earlier in the series.

Fuck Vibe, Frankenstein was the original New52 heartbreaker after news spread of its cancellation.

Tell me about it. I haven't been the same since.

Hawkeye #13:

The whole scene with the Avenger ladies, "What were you doing before being paged to report to Avengers Tower, Mr. Barton?", "Together, Clint, I think you and me are the person we both wish we could be...." and most of all "I didn't want him to be alone."

This fucking book, bro.

Deadly

It was the bottom part of that two page spread. You can just make him out in those four bottom panels. He's forcing his way back in.
Wow I did not see that, great observation.
I thought it was just him cracking up really. Didn't expect the stuff with 2099 Spidey, poor guy, he's so fucked right now. Can't his AI just tell him how big events are going to unfold in history?

Acid08

Banned
Superior was really, really good. Slott is really moving this story at a break neck pace, it's great. Stone is such a great antagonist, love to hate that guy. Brilliantly tied into the 2099 stuff too. The scene with MJ was heart breaking, I really do hope what happened is revealed so that Peter doesn't have to inherit all this bullshit.

I'm really stoked to see what 2099 does in the present time, I would definitely be interested in a solo series. Anyone think that Max could potentially come back as a villain? Seems like him breaking ties and going off to sea is a possible set up. Other thing I could see is Carlie going to him for help to expose Otto.

also, CARLIE COOPER IS ONE THE CASE MOTHERFUCKERS. She's so great.

While there is plenty of talk of Slott's work on SSM, I never hear mention of the art. How is it? I reckon that on a Spider-Man book, kinetic art would be particularly important.

Ryan Stegman is top tier, one of my favorite artists in the biz, has that exact kinetic energy shit that's perfect for Spider-books. Too bad him leaving Scarlet Spider made that book decrease in quality a bit.

Humberto Ramos is love him or hate him, really, but i think that crazy energy style was a good fit for ASM when i read that. I don't actually read Superior, but i think Camuncoli is the third artist? He's aight.

While there is plenty of talk of Slott's work on SSM, I never hear mention of the art. How is it? I reckon that on a Spider-Man book, kinetic art would be particularly important.

Ryan Stegman's art is god-tier. He's really good at the kinetic stuff, that first fight in SSM #1 and the first scene with Spidey 2099 in SSM #17 especially. Giuseppe Camuncoli's stuff is good too.

Ramos' art is hit and miss for me, I don't mind the freaky bodies but there's something about his faces, they always look squished. It's readable but he doesn't compare to the others IMO.

Stegman was announced for a signing at a shop over here like in November, and I was super stoked and then it got pushed back to February before getting quietly cancelled and i'm still kinda bummed

Stegman's one of my current favorites at Marvel. He's got a manga-influenced style, so he's all about the action lines, and he adds all these little details to emphasize the movements. Lot of great unique perspectives he adds to his page layouts, like following the bullets up in the foreground with Kaine/that ninja he's fighting to give a panel more depth and a sense of where they are in relation to each other, or suddenly breaking out a long vertical panel after a page of horizontal ones that really makes you feel that body falling off as your eye trails downward. Just a real solid knack for composition and sequential panel action storytelling.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
First category:
Hawkeye
Young Avengers
Wonder Woman
Insufferable (digital only, I think)

Second category:
DAREDEVIL
Batman (Snyder's stuff just reminds me of the Denny O'Neil era)

The X-Books are in the Battle of the Atom crossover ATM, but I'd recommend Wolverine and the X-Men and adjective-less X-Men.

very much appreciated!

Anyone else?
getting back into things. Just picked up the comixology Walking Dead complete bundle and making my way through that.

what are the best super hero books right now? I will accept both "coolest most original shit being done today" as well as "if you liked 70s and 80s comics especially x-men"

You guys set me up to brag a little. I met the Steg.

BWuku6SCIAEIKNP.jpg:large

BWukq0GCAAAM8I_.jpg:large

BWuk0RTCUAAVUdb.jpg:large

At Cincy Comic Con, he was a nice guy but always busy doing commissions. Couldnt really talk to him.

Acid08

Banned
Ryan Stegman is one of the best artists out there right now. Kinetic is a perfect way to describe his art. The rest he draws objects in motion is incredible.

Ramos is hit or miss. I've liked most of his stuff on Superior but didn't like much of ASM. His anatomy can get real fucked at times.

Camuncoli is whatever. Technically good but no real flavor.

I wish I had money to just casually spend on full commssions, i'd buy one from him. His 5 minute sketches look pretty good though, and apparently he did some free sharpie headshots during his signing at NYCC.

I wish I had money to just casually spend on full commssions, i'd buy one from him. His 5 minute sketches look pretty good though, and apparently he did some free sharpie headshots during his signing at NYCC.

I was blown away by his 5 minute sketches. Couldn't believe he did that stuff in 5 min.

Wow I did not see that, great observation.
I thought it was just him cracking up really. Didn't expect the stuff with 2099 Spidey, poor guy, he's so fucked right now. Can't his AI just tell him how big events are going to unfold in history?

yeah, I missed that too.

and...probably.
Though it's worth noting that 2099 is just ONE possible future. the events miguel knows about aren't guaranteed to pass.

Whatever alternate future is going on in Battle of the Atom seems to directly conflict with it.

KePoW

Banned

200 bucks seems reasonable to me. An artist commission is kind of a once-in-lifetime deal right? Not something you get once a month.

So $200 one-time is very affordable and worth it.

Haven't read all my picks yet but from the stuff I've read:
- Avengers and New Avengers (that's the reading order) were good. My gripe is how Avengers seems to tie a big plot point a bit too quickly and easily but at the same time, I thought it made sense with New Avengers
the whole NA arc about parallel universes cascading into nothing is where it's always been at
And Ronan is awesome.
- Fables was another kick in the nuts, particularly that last page. That and using half an issue to drive the point home that
Blue isn't ever coming back. At least Bigby is

Tizoc

So I'm reading through Jeff L.'s Green Arrow run, it's good but rather slow paced. Non the less I liked the idea of the
weapon totems

ElNarez

Banned
Man, Matt Kindt's JLA was fucking great. Like, fuck, that Flash scene, man, whoa, fuck, dang, This guy gets it. And also the Superman thing is perfect. Dang.

Messi

What was the general opinion of Death of the family around here? I'm about halfway through the issues of Batman and need to get that HC with the issues from other books but I'm really enjoying it. Much more than the court of owls stuff. Maybe it's just because I like joker and love Harley :p. Oh and jokers face is NAAAAAAASTY

Please try not to spoil where it all ends up. I am just after reading the issue that ends with
joker and riddler in Arkham

Veelk

Banned
What was the general opinion of Death of the family around here? I'm about halfway through the issues of Batman and need to get that HC with the issues from other books but I'm really enjoying it. Much more than the court of owls stuff. Maybe it's just because I like joker and love Harley :p. Oh and jokers face is NAAAAAAASTY

Please try not to spoil where it all ends up. I am just after reading the issue that ends with
joker and riddler in Arkham

I really enjoyed it. I felt it ought to have been a bit longer and (spoilers)
I don't think the Joker's final plan is as damaging as the comic would have you believe if only because other writers probably won't stick by it.
But I found it to be a pretty chilling interpretation of the Joker and a cool theme to center the story around.

SRG01

Is anyone still reading Xmen Legacy? It's a great series and
I think they just half-revealed who future Xavier is

Veelk

Banned
Thor: God of Thunder 1-11: Okay, so this is actually the first ongoing Marvel Comic I decided to read. I've only become a comic book fan since the new 52 started and really have only been reading DC stuff (though I have read famous comics before the new 52. I don't know why I waited so long to start, but...). I bring this up because, having known almost exclusively DC comics, I heard plenty of complaints in the gaf comic threads about lack of 'fun' in their books, while Marvel's is chalk full of it. God of Thunder seemed to get recommended a lot for it's funness.

And it was fun. I did enjoy seeing Thor's being badass and stuff. But while it was enjoyable in the kind of 'popcorn movie' sort of way, the story was just throwing out concepts just to sound cool without really explaining stuff how it worked. That kind of stuff always takes me out of the story, because I always want to be told how it works and can do this impossible thing. Is this really the tone or style that 'fun' advocates want other comics, particularly DC's, to be? I'm not asking that in a negative way, I'm just honestly curious, since up until now, I've only been reading 'unfun' books like Snyder's stuff and hated the 'fun' stuff like Morrison's books. I just want to be sure I understand the perspective right.

JEKKI

rich man JEKKI in da house!!

I got money got mo mo mo money!!

serisouly, I got $12 in google play money coz of a google groupon I bought last year that I never used!!

even tho I did use it! lol,

but the lady at the fried chicken store just wrote my code down on a notepad ^_^v

so I should spend it on comics!! what should I buy?!?! lol.

thinking of the Ales Kot Suicide Squad run?

or jump onto the Gail Simone Red Sonja issues?

maybe some TMNT Foot Clan Origin or Villain Micros?

I'm a rich man, but not rich enough to buy them all -_-

Vibranium

Banned
I finally got a hold of a Nook HD+ on the cheap, thank you Canadian warehouses with B&N items! Comics look amazing, it's totally worth it.

Superior Spider-Man was off the chain and Ryan Stegman is still the man. Even when Slott leaves after Peter comes back, the future writer should keep using Ryan as an artists for arcs.

Hawkeye was great, I really love Barney and hopefully he really gets to be a strong member of the supporting cast.

Acid08

Banned
rich man JEKKI in da house!!

I got money got mo mo mo money!!

serisouly, I got $12 in google play money coz of a google groupon I bought last year that I never used!!

even tho I did use it! lol,

but the lady at the fried chicken store just wrote my code down on a notepad ^_^v

so I should spend it on comics!! what should I buy?!?! lol.

thinking of the Ales Kot Suicide Squad run?

or jump onto the Gail Simone Red Sonja issues?

maybe some TMNT Foot Clan Origin or Villain Micros?

I'm a rich man, but not rich enough to buy them all -_-
TMNT Origin of the Foot Clan is fucking great.

FYC

Banned
I'm currently reading the first Invincible Iron Man Omnibus (I'm not too far into it, I only finished issue #4 last night) and so far it's really good. There's something a bit odd about the art - I can't tell if it's the line work or the colours, although I suspect the latter because the covers look great - but the characters' faces look slightly off. It's not a big deal but it's just a bit jarring at first. That said, I really like the way the armour looks, and the view inside the helmet is cool. I like the dialogue and Ezekiel makes a very interesting villain, as well as a great foil for Tony. It's good stuff.

Yay

I've read that it starts to go downhill after World's Most Wanted though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom