• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KePoW

Banned
Aw man ,the devs of the witcher series, CD Projekt Red, just posted this:

Click

I don't know who the team would be, and I would still only be interested if it was exciting creators, but The witcher is one of my favourite franchises, a comic book series is an exciting thought. Ongoing series with some top talent, hell yea, witcher 3 prequel tie-in mini with meh creator, blah. fingers crossed, announcement at NYCC!

Huge fan of the Witcher games, this would be awesome. I think it would translate well to comics too, if the quality is good like you said.

Also what do GAF people think about the "Ghosted" series? I was browsing through Image's series and this one looked interesting. I like haunted mansions kinda stuff.

Owzers

FF #12 was fun, i liked the page of
Adolf watching anime marvel
This is going to be an entirely different book once fraction/allred leave. Fraction is doing a decent, above average job on the writing even if the plot hasn't been very focused, but Allred on art makes the book for me.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I'm all caught up on Avenger's Arena and I can say that I'm now hooked. The first few issues were a struggle, but after a few characters were removed from the roster, it was easier to concentrate and find enjoyment out of the storyline. Plus, I've always thought Arcade was an underused and underrated villain.

Would anyone recommend Hinterland or Rat Queens over Jupiter's Legacy and Sex Criminals? I didn't enjoy the latter two, so I'm looking for another independent book to read. I recently started the Locke & Key trades, so I'd like to join a series at the start.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I gotta say, after hopping on Green Arrow, cause of all the positive things you guys have been saying, I'm happy I did. Sorrentino's art and storytelling is SO GOOD.

I think Count Vertigo went down a bit too easily but I'm hoping the tinnitus/earfucking he gave Olly stays and continues to afflict him. I'd love to see some real consequences thrown around in another Cape book. Seems like Rucka's Punisher was one of the only ones with the balls to do it recently.

I recommend Rat Queens to anyone who has ever played a western RPG and liked it. The dialog is funny but also feels a lot like playing a video game.

DRG

Neo Member
Lot's of big stuff was happening in Superior for a while, but it has kind of slowed down now. I think the first 13 issues are a must read if you're a Spidey fan, but since you haven't bought any, maybe you're not. Nothing major happens in Avenging Spider-Man. That book is just about how Spidey interacts with other heroes, which was funny and interesting when Doc Ock first took over.

Thanks for the feedback. So there's no issues that are worth holding on to that are valuable? I probably will just buy the trades to catch up on the story.

Would anyone recommend Hinterland or Rat Queens over Jupiter's Legacy and Sex Criminals? I didn't enjoy the latter two, so I'm looking for another independent book to read. I recently started the Locke & Key trades, so I'd like to join a series at the start.

I'm assuming you read Lazarus? 'Cause I'd recommend that over all those other books.

And fwiw I loved Rat Queens and didn't like Sex Criminals or Jupiter's Legacy. And I find role-playing games boring, but still. It's a charming ass book.

Caspel

I'm assuming you read Lazarus? 'Cause I'd recommend that over all those other books.

And fwiw I loved Rat Queens and didn't like Sex Criminals or Jupiter's Legacy. And I find role-playing games boring, but still. It's a charming ass book.

What about Lazarus compared to Trillium? I'm looking forward to Black Science, so perhaps I should wait to determine which of the indy bunch is the best to join?

What about Lazarus compared to Trillium? I'm looking forward to Black Science, so perhaps I should wait to determine which of the indy bunch is the best to join?

Oh, sure, let's play Sophie's Choice. Do I want to kill my sci-fi romantic mystery baby or my character-driven political family drama baby?

I think everyone and his mother will be reading Black Science. So it might be fun from a communal stand-point to wait for that and share in the team enthusiasm.

But the really really is that you should be reading all three! Drop a few mediocre books from the double-shipping, creator-slapping toilet-paper printing big two and get in with the cool kids. We smoke under the bleachers.

But the really really is that you should be reading all three!

Ding ding, we have a winner. They're all pretty different but these all really seem to be books you want. I still on the fence with Black Science, but purely because I haven't read Remender's creator owned stuff. This will be remedied when Fear Agent arrives though.

In some more comic book related video game news, that's the Fables game up for pre-order on steam. Fables started out as one of the main comics I bought my girlfriend, to get her into the hobby. Fast forward 3-4 years though and we have literally every trade, and I dig em too haha. Hopefully the game pans out.

Caspel

Oh, sure, let's play Sophie's Choice. Do I want to kill my sci-fi romantic mystery baby or my character-driven political family drama baby?

I think everyone and his mother will be reading Black Science. So it might be fun from a communal stand-point to wait for that and share in the team enthusiasm.

But the really really is that you should be reading all three! Drop a few mediocre books from the double-shipping, creator-slapping toilet-paper printing big two and get in with the cool kids. We smoke under the bleachers.

Well... I'm reading Infinity, Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Avengers Arena, Saga, Guardians, Thor, Batman, Batman '66. Tried out Jupiter's Legacy, hated it. Tried out Sex Criminals, didn't like it. I'm reading Superior Spider-Man through trade.

GF is reading Hawkeye, Hunger, X-Men, Battle of the Atom-related comics, Superior Carnage, The Walking Dead, East of West.

Not much room for new comics for either the g/f or I right now. That's why I only want to add one more until a few of the others finish (Infinity, Hunger, Superior Carnage, Battle of the Atom will end soon so there will be open spots in our weekly/monthly pick-ups).

I'll probably wait for Black Science now that I think of it to see which is the best new indy to follow.

Owzers

Forever Evil #1: Small gripe when it comes to panels and medium on story, but if you're going to go all out and do a 4 page fold-out spread,
do something more inventive than a row of people. I get it, there are a lot of people, and they are all standing. I'm in awe. Also, the taking of Nightwing reminds me too much of the beginning of Final Crisis and Manhunter.
And Lex's line at the end was fairly cheesy. Overall i'm mixed on the issue.

Thanks for the feedback. So there's no issues that are worth holding on to that are valuable? I probably will just buy the trades to catch up on the story.

I don't know anything about values. You might want to check a price guide for that.

Well... I'm reading Infinity, Avengers, Saga, , Thor, Batman, Batman '66. Tried out Jupiter's Legacy, hated it. Tried out Sex Criminals, didn't like it.

GF is reading Hawkeye, The Walking Dead, East of West.

Tons of room for new comics for either the g/f or I right now. That's why I only want to add one more until a few of the others finish (Infinity).

I'll probably wait for Black Science now that I think of it to see which is the best new indy to follow.

Fixed it the best I could for you ;) If it makes a difference to you guys, pretty sure Trillium is only a 10 issue run or something, if you want with it, it'll be done before you know it and you'll have that slot open again.

Keep reading Avengers Arena, only three issues left, you may as well finish it out. Personally, I think it's really good.

I don't really get the Thor: God of Thunder love, tried the first few issues and didn't really like it. Remender did it better in half-an-issue of Uncanny Avengers.

Caspel

Keep reading Avengers Arena, only three issues left, you may as well finish it out. Personally, I think it's really good.

I don't really get the Thor: God of Thunder love, tried the first few issues and didn't really like it. Remender did it better in half-an-issue of Uncanny Avengers.

I jumped on Thor to get more backstory on Malekith.

I've been thinking about this lately. I think I read a good mixture of DC, Marvel, and Indies. Being a writer for comics has to be the most frustrating thing to be judged on. They have to give you a slice of a story every month and try to keep a reader up with the big picture. Reading comics monthly, every comic I have read has a mediocre part in it. I have read books that were mediocre all the way up to the last issue and bombs were dropped and made the mediocrity that I went through worth it and much better.

I recently read Hinterkind and thought it was mediocre. But then you have Tim in here saying he really enjoyed it. He even liked the art which I thought was forgetful. Thinking about it, a lot of my prejudice comes down too seeing how many comics I read and knowing how much I can afford. I turned the last page of Hinterkind and while some part of my brain liked the characters, was intrigued by the story, there was another part of my brain that pretty much said I don't want to spend any more money on it. That has to be so frustrating for a creator. He/she has a great story in their head and it's judged before it's even really started.

So I guess the point of this is I think a lot of our views of what's mediocre and what is not of course is subjective. The almighty dollar being the biggest prejudice of them all. You say the big 2 put out a lot of mediocracy but to some people, it sets their imagination on fire. I want to live in a world of Batmans. Some people say to Bruce and Batman that enough already, your parents were killed, get over it. I get it. In an idea world we could read everything and experience it all but we can't.

Ps I had this grand thing in my head to talk about but between trying to type this on my phone in between patients at work and my brain becoming fragmented. I lost it. Too stubborn not to post it though.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Can anyone tell me who's that guy who shows up in the epilogue of the latest Green Arrow?

It's Diggle, yo. From the tv show, yo. I don't think that's a spoiler because it's been announced for a while now.

I've been thinking about this lately. I think I read a good mixture of DC, Marvel, and Indies. Being a writer for comics has to be the most frustrating thing to be judged on. They have to give you a slice of a story every month and try to keep a reader up with the big picture. Reading comics monthly, every comic I have read has a mediocre part in it. I have read books that were mediocre all the way up to the last issue and bombs were dropped and made the mediocrity that I went through worth it and much better.

I recently read Hinterkind and thought it was mediocre. But then you have Tim in here saying he really enjoyed it. He even liked the art which I thought was forgetful. Thinking about it, a lot of my prejudice comes down too seeing how many comics I read and knowing how much I can afford. I turned the last page of Hinterkind and while some part of my brain liked the characters, was intrigued by the story, there was another part of my brain that pretty much said I don't want to spend any more money on it. That has to be so frustrating for a creator. He/she has a great story in their head and it's judged before it's even really started.

So I guess the point of this is I think a lot of our views of what's mediocre and what is not of course is subjective. The almighty dollar being the biggest prejudice of them all. You say the big 2 put out a lot of mediocracy but to some people, it sets their imagination on fire. I want to live in a world of Batmans. Some people say to Bruce and Batman that enough already, your parents were killed, get over it. I get it. In an idea world we could read everything and experience it all but we can't.

Ps I had this grand thing in my head to talk about but between trying to type this on my phone in between patients at work and my brain becoming fragmented. I lost it. Too stubborn not to post it though.

No, it's true. We all have to draw a line. These are the books I won't drop, these are the ones I'm looking for or want to explore, these are the ones I'll check out if there's room in the budget, etc. And to feel comfort in our decisions, we justify to ourselves and others why we make the choices that we do to.

But at the end of the day it all comes down to me being right. Indie books are just better.

Welp. I guess I'm in for Trillium #3 under duress. Was probably going to drop it but my roommate thought I was still getting it so picked it up for me. You got one more chance, book!

Beth Cyra

Mega Man comic to add a Mega Man X sub-story starting with Issue #34 (February 2014)

Holy shit really?

I was under the impression that the Comic had zero relation to X, will this be the first time they have done anything at all with him?

If so I'm totally in for it, I buy everything X related just to support the series, and it's been a long time since X has gotten anything aside from X Zone.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

At a certain point, it will always come down to time and money limitations, so you have to make tough choices. I'm reading like 16 ongoings in trade, various older stuff that I'm catching up on or is just being reprinted, and constant one-offs. There's a good 6-10 new ongoings that have started or are starting this year that I know I'll jump on, along with about the same number already coming out in collections that I'd love to read.

You're investing time and/or money that could be spent not only on other comics but other hobbies as well. I sampled Great Pacific and thought it was okay. I'd continue reading it if I had access, but with all the stuff I'm already reading and all the other comics sitting in my wishlists, there are so many bigger priorities for my finite resources.

I do think the singles format makes it even harder to maintain interest. It's not like a TV show where the audience is only expected to wait a week to get more. You've got gaps 3-5 weeks long, especially brutal for the opening few issues where creators are still setting up the world, characters and the basic MO for the series. There's a lot of room for people to lose interest before given a proper taste or to drift back to some flashier continuity event someone's putting on.

So since it's a DC book, I can expect the trade sometime in 2015. Awesome.
Heh. I would guess October/November 2014.

Boogiepop

Mega Man comic to add a Mega Man X sub-story starting with Issue #34 (February 2014)

Oh neat. Also, this randomly reminded me... how much does "Worlds Collide" integrate into the Mega Man comic plot? I've been picking up the series in trades, and Worlds Collide is apparently sandwiched between the comics that'll be collected in volume 6, but that ends up coming out somewhere in the middle of when they're releasing Worlds Collide as trades. Would I be good to just pick up and read everything as it comes out in trades, or should I hold off till I can read it in "proper" order?

Nudull

Banned
Oh neat. Also, this randomly reminded me... how much does "Worlds Collide" integrate into the Mega Man comic plot? I've been picking up the series in trades, and Worlds Collide is apparently sandwiched between the comics that'll be collected in volume 6, but that ends up coming out somewhere in the middle of when they're releasing Worlds Collide as trades. Would I be good to just pick up and read everything as it comes out in trades, or should I hold off till I can read it in "proper" order?

From what I read since picking the series back up (I haven't finished the crossover, yet), Worlds Collide didn't have much of an impact and the book just went on into the current arc, so you could skip the crossover without much penalty.

zeeaykay

Am I only one that read Superior Foes this week? It has Heisenberg moments!

I just read this weeks issue. May be the most consistently entertaining ongoing that I'm reading right now. The writing and art are both fantastic, and it does a great job of having a heart without getting cliche. Can't wait till next week! Definitely the hidden gem of all the Marvel titles (even though it gets great critical acclaim).

I've been really impressed with Battle of the Atom so far. ANXM 17 was a bit of a let down though. All build up with little pay off so far.

Although I continue to be intrigued about
iceman's continuing evolution. Between original vs current, ice hulk vs wizard iceman, and AOA iceman I find it all really interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom