• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KePoW

Banned
I just noticed Comixology has a sale on Marvel Ultimate universe.

Being a noob comic fan, I don't really know anything about those series... I vaguely heard that's it's a totally different universe with the popular heroes you know, but they are younger versions with completely new origins?

Any specific series in the Ultimate universe worth buying on this sale?

Acid08

Banned

Being a noob comic fan, I don't really know anything about those series... I vaguely heard that's it's a totally different universe with the popular heroes you know, but they are younger versions with completely new origins?

Ultimate Spider-Man is fantastic.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Ultimate Spidey is really great. Everything else goes from fair/decent to just plain bad depending on the team.

Would be good if we had a google doc link or a sub thread linked in OP where we could take a gander at what everyone who participates here reads. I know everyone does their weekly, but it would help on a larger scale. I think I've been posting in here long enough now I've pegged who I might take a recommendation from seriously/has similar tastes or views to me and it'd be handy to then go look at everything else the user is reading, in singles and trades. And vice versa, when I'm not sure, it would help contextualise what peeps are saying.

Also, George Romera and Maleev on a 15 issue zombie series? That's kind of cool haha. Click. Confident about the art, no idea on the writing.

Tizoc

Planning on jumping on Green Arrow, what issue/Book should I start with again?

Hellboy tribute in Sayanora Zetsubou Sensei

Remember when Harley was a fun for all ages character?
uMTJETO.jpg

Some randomness
YzT8AyF.jpg

rEV2TXW.jpg

aC0YJYI.jpg

They still need to put up a teaser for Robinson's second book. It looks like a lot are just new story arcs, where Marvel will throw a fresh new number one on it. Oh and they also need to tease YA volume two and the AA stuff.

Fuck you stupid Earth 2 DC editor. Its now one yes man away from being a fucking Mark Millar type comic.

I don't know. Not as harsh on Earth 2, personally; It's basically
Son of Darkseid Superman

Considering who is coming on to take over the book, this is either a really strange coincidence, or somebody thinks that Taylor is the right man for this sort of storyline.

Nicola Scott continues to dazzle with her gorgeous art.

Alan Scott was supposed to be the fuxking Superman figure of that world and he cant even do any fucking constructs and het got the shit beaten out of him. I cant believe Geoff Johns would let some editor do this to James Robinson, he was supposed to be the chosen one. I still want some Earth 2 figures but they arent coming :(

In positive news, The Wake is an absolute treat.

Owzers

Trust is probably a new story arc for Mighty Avengers /easyguess

Young Avengers 9 and 10 were okay, i really don't like the Mother character and that she's in the book as much as she is.

Tizoc

Not much this week but what I did read was great

Superior Foes of Spiderman #4
Oh Boomerang,
why'd you go and do that man?

Forever Evil #2
Hold up are they
hinting at the AntiMoniter with the person with the hood on their head?

Sonic the Hedgehog #253
Rotor's new look is good but he needs his hat back! Overall fun and solid issue even though I disliked how
Silver Sonic was defeated easily, then again the Sky Patrol must be packing some heavy hitting ammo...

Hinterkind #1
Good issue but I would've liked it MUCH better
if it was just mankind surviving among wild animals like gorrillas, lions, etc. Non the less will keep up with it as I like it

Lazarus #4
Goddamn
Johanna you sly bitch
, great action though and looking forward to the next story arc! If Rucka wants to dedicate 4 issues to world building, I'd love that as I really like the setting.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Read the first 10 issues of Injustice just for shits and giggles. So bad its good? But not REALLY bad, but just kinda bad, but also kinda fantastic? I'm so torn.

Tizoc

Read the first 10 issues of Injustice just for shits and giggles. So bad its good? But not REALLY bad, but just kinda bad, but also kinda fantastic? I'm so torn.

It had potential, but stupid dialog and Bat fanwank kinda ruined it.

ElNarez

Banned
Also, maybe I don't know enough about Defenders, but Kot seems so fucking mismatched for this I'd kinda be looking forward to this. I don't see how darkly humorous and slightly satirical Defenders might work.

Eldren

Jeez, so many teasers. They look interesting though
especially that Greg Land-less one.

ComicsGAF, I have a question. Where is the best place to buy prints by comic artists? I've never bought anything like that before and I just noticed how bare my room looks, so I thought I'd get something to hang on the walls.

My first thought was a Francavilla piece but the store on his site doesn't really have anything I was thinking of, plus his Breaking Bad pieces are US-only at the moment. Then I looked at Jock's site to see if he was selling his Black Mirror covers as prints but the only one he's selling is sold out. Is there a site that sells decent prints by comic artists?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Some randomness
rEV2TXW.jpg

after seeing that spider man image done by yusuke murata, i would love to see manga artists do one shots of western comics. eiichiro oda doing a fantastic four one shot would be fucking amazing.

cruise control back into the 90s. as much as people claim to hate that era, it seems to sell. go figure.

everyone will agree with ultimate spider man. its the shining star of the ultimate universe. personally, i liked fantastic 4 up until the crossover arc, and its frightful closer. but other than that, i dont care for the rest.

ComicsGAF, I have a question. Where is the best place to buy prints by comic artists? I've never bought anything like that before and I just noticed how bare my room looks, so I thought I'd get something to hang on the walls.

My first thought was a Francavilla piece but the store on his site doesn't really have anything I was thinking of, plus his Breaking Bad pieces are US-only at the moment. Then I looked at Jock's site to see if he was selling his Black Mirror covers as prints but the only one he's selling is sold out. Is there a site that sells decent prints by comic artists?

I don't know much about this, except that I found myself following the twitter account for Cadence Comic Art. That would be one site to check out, I reckon.

tim1138

I dunno that I've ever seen prints for sale outside of a con. Typically when artists are selling stuff it's the original art.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Certain comics artists release prints occasionally, like Jock and Francavilla. But they're generally drops that are timed or have a very limited number. Either follow the artists on twitter or check out the GAF Art Prints thread.

Owzers

That seems like a concerted effort to save those books, but 18 issues is going into Rotworld flashbacks for " why is this still going on?"

I'm not reading any of those books right now, this isn't going to get me to hop on, but not much would.

Eldren

Thanks for the answers! I didn't realise there was a thread for it, I'll definitely check that out. Looks like there are some great pieces even in the first post. And Cadence Comic Art looks like it has a huge amount of artists on it which is good (although it's a bit pricey.) I'll be keeping an eye on twitter/tumblr etc as usual too. Thanks again!

Edit: Ebay looks like it could be good too, lots of out-of-print stuff on there.

tm24

The newest teasers are pretty great

Also, did Arrow really name a character after Andy Diggle? Because thats kinda awesome

KePoW

Banned
A lot of people recommended Ultimate Spider-Man to me earlier on this page.

Just checking -- I am looking up where to start, and it seems there's a Volume 1 from around 2000-2011. And then a current series starting from 2011.

Which series is the one that everyone says is awesome? Or both?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

This doesn't feel like the plan even just when December solicitations were released. The Justice League Dark solicits make sense through December with what they're saying about this event, but Constantine #9 wasn't said to be a Forever Evil tie-in.

CONSTANTINE #9
Written by RAY FAWKES
Art by ACO
Cover by HOWARD PORTER
On sale DECEMBER 11 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+
Who is John Constantine? Lost and confused now that he’s sold himself out to the Cold Flame, John becomes vulnerable to attack by Spellbinder! What secrets will be revealed when John is forced to travel though his own mind?

TRINITY OF SIN: PANDORA #6
Written by RAY FAWKES
Art by FRANCIS PORTELA
Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO
On sale DECEMBER 18 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
A FOREVER EVIL TIE-IN! Pandora seeks answers from the one man who seems to have them…Earth-3's The Outsider! But first she must make it past a rabid Vandal Savage, who wants revenge for what Pandora has done to him! All this, and an unexpected visit from the Hellblazer himself, John Constantine!
Hard to say whether that fits with the event.

It kinda sounds like this is something J.M. DeMatteis was doing in both Justice League Dark and The Phantom Stranger (these all match the given event description), and then DC editorial told Ray Fawkes to jump onboard with both of his books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom