• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibranium

Banned
Just glanced at the newest Nova, first time.

Really Loeb?

Sam?

Really?

God damn.

How could you say such a thing! Jeph is honoring his dead son by forever immortalizing him in pages as a superhero so he may inspire the countless millions of young comic book readers everywhere. Ace editor Simperin' Steve Wacker is confident that Sam
represents the next generation of teenage superheroes with unparalleled uniqueness and crazy story arcs with lots of character development, therefore it must be true! Whoever heard of a book called Invincible that did something like that right?

I mean, it's not like anyone cares about Rich Rider, his story arc is done.

Acid08

Banned
I don't really like Fear Agent.
iunA7NRBLxnrn.gif

So I read The Black Mirror tonight and thought it was one of the best Bat story's I've read. They picked a perfect villain for Dick as Batman. Thanks for talking about it all who did.

It really is great. I'm glad you got to enjoy it, it really is the best story with Dick as Batman. None of the others compare.

Absolutely brilliant, really glad you liked it Korupt. The only thing that's bad about the black mirror is there isn't more of it. I'm sure there's plenty who dig what Higgins is doing in Nightwing(my girlfriend reads the book) but for me, it is just so far off from the Black Mirror, there's just no point in reading it. Hoping all this forever evil stuff leads to a new writer. The Black Mirror isn't just the best Batdick story, it makes Dick as Batman feel like the real deal. Not just a stop gap, it really makes it feel like your standing on the next evolution of the franchise, and he even gets his big villian. Dick as a more positive batman facing even more depraved cruel obstacles from Gotham than ever, with Damian as his ward and Tim as his peer, perfect.

I say all that while loving Snyder's new 52 Batman, and liking the Batman & Robin book a fair bit too, but The Black Mirror is the real deal. Easily transcends regular sueprhero books and gives any of the indy books I read a run for its money.

Have you guys read Scott Snyder's Severed? Different of course, but reaaally good.

EDIT: I was wondering, from folk who absolutely loved the court of owls storyline and are big fans of Snyder, how do we feel about the talon book? I see the first volume is out there now. I have no idea how James Tynion (one of his pupils right?) measures up to him.

Eldren

I mean, it's not like anyone cares about Rich Rider, his story arc is done.

Why would you say such a horrible thing

-----

Korupt, I'm really glad you liked Black Mirror. What a fantastic book that is. It's a creative team at the top of their game making an amazing story.

-----

More post today! After hearing people rave about it for months on end I decided to jump on board the Saga bandwagon, and the first trade arrived today. Fiona Staples demonstrating why she won all those awards, what a beautiful book. I love that she uses her own handwriting for the baby's voice, that's a really nice touch. I expect I'll enjoy this book, judging from the praise it gets.

I also got my copy of Five Ghosts: The Haunting Of Fabian Grey. Is anybody reading this book? I really like the concept and it was super cheap so I thought I'd pick it up to show my support (plus, you know, it's Image. Showing my gratitude for their quick-release trades.) I love the art style. I don't really know enough comic artists to make an apt comparison but my initial thought was a blend of Mignola plus Kevin O'Neill's work on League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It has a real pulp-y feel, likely due to the lovely colouring, and it has some great hand-lettered bits as well, like screams and whatnot. The title pages look like vintage movie posters which really adds to the pulp treasure hunter vibe. Great stuff.

-----

Anyway, I've nearly finished Iron Man Extremis (loving it so far) and then it's on to my two Invincible Iron Man Omnibuses which I've heard great things about.

Tizoc

Anyone here read Pin-up #1?
I admit I was interested in it for the art, but it has an intriguing story.
Set in WW2, Dottie's lover Joe leaves for Japan to fight in the War. The comic switches between Joe's time on an island where his unit was killed, and Dottie's struggle back in the US while Joe is away. Dottie's too attached to Joe that she can't get him out of her mind which leads to complications during her employment.
Anyway Joe manages to eventually regroup with the army and join a platoon that's still fighting by Japan, while Dottie ends up doing nude pin-up art, which eventually leads to her being the inspiration for a short strip that Joe ends up liking, unaware that the main character is modeled after Dottie.
The artist for the strip ends up falling in love with Dottie, but she refuses his advancement and attempts to use his strip to get back at her.

That's a quick rundown of the first issue, looking forward to #2.

Dan "so your saying yhere's a chance" Didio is going to gimmick up this bitch to save his job. Doesn't matter what happens between the covers, thats what last month told hin.

kswiston

Nuff said was awsome

You are remembering the 4-5 books that actually did something clever with the event like New X-Men and X-Force. Most of the books that month were shit. That's the same with all these line wide gimmick events, a small number of books hit it out of the park. The rest are a step down from the story they are interrupting.

Dan "so your saying yhere's a chance" Didio is going to gimmick up this bitch to save his job. Doesn't matter what happens between the covers, thats what last month told hin.

I don't know if that's fair to say. Personally outside of maybe 3 or 4 titles, the rest were good, with some amazing ones in there. Villains month wasn't bad, I'd say it was much better than people initially thought it was going to be as well.

I don't know if that's fair to say. Personally outside of maybe 3 or 4 titles, the rest were good, with some amazing ones in there. Villains month wasn't bad, I'd say it was much better than people initially thought it was going to be as well.
Its fair to say because the difference in unit share was huge, like a thirteen point difference between months. Evennif the overall quality was the same, some stellar, a bunch pretty good and a few downright fucking patheticall piece of shit Noccenti awful, only difference cover.

Dan Didio's story in this week's Batman B&W #2 was simply awful, on some levels offensive even. Please, never let Dan write a Batman story again. :(

EDIT: Other than that glaring exception that inexplicably leads off this issue, the other stories were for the most part enjoyable.

Isak_Borg

Why would you say such a horrible thing

-----

Korupt, I'm really glad you liked Black Mirror. What a fantastic book that is. It's a creative team at the top of their game making an amazing story.

-----

More post today! After hearing people rave about it for months on end I decided to jump on board the Saga bandwagon, and the first trade arrived today. Fiona Staples demonstrating why she won all those awards, what a beautiful book. I love that she uses her own handwriting for the baby's voice, that's a really nice touch. I expect I'll enjoy this book, judging from the praise it gets.

I also got my copy of Five Ghosts: The Haunting Of Fabian Grey. Is anybody reading this book? I really like the concept and it was super cheap so I thought I'd pick it up to show my support (plus, you know, it's Image. Showing my gratitude for their quick-release trades.) I love the art style. I don't really know enough comic artists to make an apt comparison but my initial thought was a blend of Mignola plus Kevin O'Neill's work on League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It has a real pulp-y feel, likely due to the lovely colouring, and it has some great hand-lettered bits as well, like screams and whatnot. The title pages look like vintage movie posters which really adds to the pulp treasure hunter vibe. Great stuff.

-----

Anyway, I've nearly finished Iron Man Extremis (loving it so far) and then it's on to my two Invincible Iron Man Omnibuses which I've heard great things about.

Im really glad you're into five ghost. I work with frank and the colorist so i was waiting for someone on here to pick it up.

Eldren

Im really glad you're into five ghost. I work with frank and the colorist so i was waiting for someone on here to pick it up.

Oh wow, awesome! That's so cool. I haven't started it yet (my backlog is insultingly large at the moment) but I'm really looking forward to diving into it. In what capacity do you work with them? Tell them I said they've made a beautiful and interesting book haha.

You are remembering the 4-5 books that actually did something clever with the event like New X-Men and X-Force. Most of the books that month were shit. That's the same with all these line wide gimmick events, a small number of books hit it out of the park. The rest are a step down from the story they are interrupting.

ah maybe
Looks like out of those I was only getting Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Daredevil, New X-Men, Spidergirl, Xtreme X-men and X-force back then.

edit: dang Alias was just starting too...was going to say that was some good marvel times but then I looked at the rest of the stuff from that month and...ew nevermind

EDIT: I was wondering, from folk who absolutely loved the court of owls storyline and are big fans of Snyder, how do we feel about the talon book? I see the first volume is out there now. I have no idea how James Tynion (one of his pupils right?) measures up to him.

I really liked it. It's a fun read. Calvin Rose is a pretty cool hero, and I hope he sticks around for a while. I don't know if I loved the court of owls storyline, but I think I liked Talon better (been a while since I read either). I read the first 7 or so issues and now I'm just going to stick to trades, even though DC's the worst. Might get it digitally if I need something to read.

I really liked it. It's a fun read. Calvin Rose is a pretty cool hero, and I hope he sticks around for a while. I don't know if I loved the court of owls storyline, but I think I liked Talon better (been a while since I read either). I read the first 7 or so issues and now I'm just going to stick to trades, even though DC's the worst. Might get it digitally if I need something to read.

What kind of writer would you peg Tynion as? Sounds interesting, I might just order the trade to figure out for myself if I dig. It seems to have switched artist a few times already though from the previews I was having a look at earlier, which is a bit hnnn. I really like a strong consistent writer & artist.

And they really are. I really can't believe that Green Arrow trade isn't out until March. 8 months after the last issue involved is what someone said I think, jesus.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What kind of writer would you peg Tynion as? Sounds interesting, I might just order the trade to figure out for myself if I dig. It seems to have switched artist a few times already though from the previews I was having a look at earlier, which is a bit hnnn. I really like a strong consistent writer & artist.

And they really are. I really can't believe that Green Arrow trade isn't out until March. 8 months after the last issue involved is what someone said I think, jesus.

Tynion is a young guy at the beginning of his career and it does show. He does really good work on the book, but so far he has yet to throw a real twist in there, to subvert my expectations. That said he really knows how to put a story together so that it feels solid and make the reader accept everything that happens. If it had been a lesser writer on Talon I would have called bullshit on a recent reveal, but Tynion made it feel like the most natural thing ever.

The writing is extremely solid, but after March left the book the art went downhill fast. Which is a damn shame.

Isak_Borg

Oh wow, awesome! That's so cool. I haven't started it yet (my backlog is insultingly large at the moment) but I'm really looking forward to diving into it. In what capacity do you work with them? Tell them I said they've made a beautiful and interesting book haha.

He works for the same company i do as his day job. Colorist sits next to him in the office _).

Eldren

He works for the same company i do as his day job. Colorist sits next to him in the office _).

Man, that's pretty cool. Do you talk to them about the comic at all? Or do they keep it close to their chests?

-----

ComicsGAF, I've never read Fear Agent. I see there's a library edition on Amazon. Is it worth checking out?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
ComicsGAF, I've never read Fear Agent. I see there's a library edition on Amazon. Is it worth checking out?

Yes!

It's very fun. Cool, vibrant, pulpy space sci-fi fun. The Amazon listing has a few pages to sample (plus a ton of the extras from the volume).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom