• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyStu

So the end of Spider Verse is
kinda like Spider Man Unlimited with Peter trapped in another universe while the 616 will have Spider Gwen...I fucking hate Dan Slott. Yes, Spider Girl is technically back and that's cool but this...feels really rushed.

Jesus. That is terrible. Someone really needs to start cleaning house in the 616.

Too many damn spiders.

I spent to much time and effort on this.. lol

Before:
halloween_batman_by_sanosuke3191-d5jyd4h.jpg

After:

I did it all in the Paint Program at work. Was a pain in the ass, couldn't just fill the dark purple with lighter purple,, it only filled like 80% of it,, had to zoom in and hand paint the rest.

Owzers

statue's only work around trades, Didio hates trades, he can never be one of us. He probably does own collections though.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Okay then. Desert island single issue list. Here goes (in no particular order):

Doom Patrol #34: The issue with Mallah and the Brain that my avatar came from. No single issue has ever entertained me so thoroughly. Just absolutely hilarious and perfect from beginning to end.

X-Statix #24: I haven't gotten around to reading X-Statix as a whole yet, but I've already reread this issue twice just because it is just hilarious. The fight between Mr. Sensitive and Iron Man is one of the funniest things in comics I've ever read. And the Allred art is amazing too.

Hawkeye #6: The Christmas/Kwanzaa/Hanukkah issue. It's got it all: hilarious dialogue, heartwarming moments, badass Clint, and some of my favorite Aja art. There are so many moments in that issue that I love.

Daredevil #1 (Waid, the first #1, not the rebooted #1): That great Paolo Rivera art, that battle with The Spot, and just great writing in general. But mainly I'm picking this issue because of the fantastic back-up story drawn by Marcos Martin where Matt and Foggy are walking through New York City. It's just so well done as a whole and I was really impressed.

Space Punisher #1: Because it makes me happy. Totally ridiculous elseworlds story with classy painted art. I can't help but keep a massive grin while reading it.

The Punisher #4 (from Welcome Back, Frank): I love Ennis and Dillon's collaborations in general, but this issue where Frank gets chased into a zoo has so many amazing moments. There isn't much that tops Frank punching a polar bear in the face.

Batman #666: Because I'm unoriginal and it's an incredible standalone issue of Batman. It has so much depth for it for a one-off issue set in the future. Morrison and Kubert create a whole new world full of life just for one 20-something page issue. There's also plenty of depth in the story. Especially when re-reading it after having read the whole of Morrison's Batman run, it's really interesting to try and figure out what's what.

...I think that's all I've got. I might be missing something, but I've racked my brain and stared at my bookshelf a while and that's what I've come up with.
Quite a few of my all-time favorite runs aren't represented by single issues on this list, because in those cases, I would have had to just pick a random issue that wouldn't mean much on its own. For most of my favorite runs, every issue is pretty much equally fantastic to me and they all work together, so even though the stories as a whole are my favorites, I couldn't really justify putting one issue from them on the list.
I pretty much only went with issues that I could really enjoy without the rest of the run. So pretty much all the issues are either some of my favorite standalone issues or just an issue that really stood out from the rest of the issues in the run.

tim1138

Skottie Young was super nice, we got a bunch of stuff signed and he even gave my wife a free Scarecrow sketch in her Oz omnibus.

Kipp

Okay, trying to figure out a Halloween avatar. Why on earth are there no Hellboy Halloween-related drawings? I feel like that would be pretty standard.

I spent to much time and effort on this.. lol

Before:

After:

I did it all in the Paint Program at work. Was a pain in the ass, couldn't just fill the dark purple with lighter purple,, it only filled like 80% of it,, had to zoom in and hand paint the rest.

That's really cool!

frye

Space Punisher #1: Because it makes me happy. Totally ridiculous elseworlds story with classy painted art. I can't help but keep a massive grin while reading it.

The thing that bothers me about this book is that it's actually called Space: Punisher, not Space Punisher. That's just weird.

That entire last arc of X-Statix in general is funny as shit (the Mister Sensitive and Iron Man fight being the highlight ofc) and does a good job at ending the series of a high note after some missteps along the way.

oh yea I forgot about my desert island issues

X-Force #124 (Milligan/Cooke) - "Edie and Guy Finally Do It"
Hawkeye #3 (Fraction/Aja) - "Cherry"
Daredevil #1 (Waid/Rivera) - "Man w/o Fear"
Suicide Squad #10 (Ostrander/McDonnell) - "Up Against the Wall"
Sex Criminals... let's go with #6 (Fraction/Zdarsky)
Dark Knight Returns #4 (Miller/Janson/Varley) - "The Dark Knight Falls"
Phonogram: The Singles Club #5 (Gillen/McKelvie) - "Lust, Etc."
Catwoman: Selina's Big Score (Cooke)
Batgirl #14 (Miller/Garbett) - "Terror in the 3rd Dimension"
The Punisher #3 (Ennis/Dillon) - "The Devil by the Horns"
Superman Annual #11 (Moore/Gibbons) - "For the Man Who Has Everything"
Wolverine & The X-Men #17 (Aaron/Allred) [had to get an Allred book in there] - "Wolverine's Secret Weapon"

I'm definitely forgetting some things but i don't wanna dig through my longbox

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm rereading Final Crisis.

This event is fucking great, especially when you have a more thorough knowledge of the DCU.

Also, whoever decided that absolute editions should have those shitty bookmarks is a bad person.

Kipp

The thing that bothers me about this book is that it's actually called Space: Punisher, not Space Punisher. That's just weird.

That entire last arc of X-Statix in general is funny as shit (the Mister Sensitive and Iron Man fight being the highlight ofc) and does a good job at ending the series of a high note after some missteps along the way.

Yeah, that really, really bothers me as well. I just choose to ignore that colon. It makes no sense at all.

And yeah, definitely. That was a great finale of sorts. Plus it was really cool seeing Allred draw the Avengers.

Scottie Young yesterday for Inktober

Sure it's just regular old hellboy. But he is scary enough.

Also

Ooh. That Skottie Young Hellboy is really cool.

Also, that First Halloween image is amazing. The only problem is I don't think it's quite right for an avatar. It'd come out too small.

Thanks for the options though!

Messi

Amazing Spider-man will die in Spider-Verse making way for the new team of Miles-Man and Spider-Gwen.

You read it here first.

Amazing Spider-man will die in Spider-Verse making way for the new team of Miles-Man and Spider-Gwen.

You read it here first.

Spider-Gwen will become part of the cast of Spider-Woman and be drawn by Greg Land until she is no longer relevant.

You read it here first.

Nudull

Banned
Doc Ock's mind hopping from hero to hero, from one alternate universe to another, searching for the way home after the events of Spider-Verse.

Fund it.

MG310

So Gabriel Hardman posted a while ago that he was going to do an 18x24 ink/pastel commission for $400...not mine..but daaaaaaaaamn. Definitely going to have to get one next time he's doing a show around here.

Are there any other comics that are written like sandman? I really love his story telling in it so far so I'm curious if anything else is like it. SO GOOD.

Here's everyone else's lists. I hope I didn't miss anyone's.

ViewtifulJC - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128911817&postcount=1945
frye - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132667748&postcount=760
tim1138 - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132720362&postcount=875
Kipp - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132870842&postcount=1264
Serpentine - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132876137&postcount=1273

My desert island list. Issues I find myself going back to quite frequently. (I've mostly tried to pick stand alone issues).

Astro City #6 - Dinner at Eight: A first date between Samaritan (Superman) and Winged Victory. They just sit down, and talk. About their origin, ther philosophies and dealing with being superheroes. And all the time in the background, the other superheroes are covering for them. That just reinforces how difficult it was for both of them to carve out time for something as "normal" as a date.

Doom Patrol #29 - The Kingdom of No - Fitting end to what has become one of my favourite comic arcs (The Painting That Ate Paris). Some great antagonists, brilliant ideas and Superman and friends watching from the sidelines.

Global Frequency #8 - Miranda Zero gets kidnapped. Global Frequency find and rescue her. That's it. I love this issue just because it gives us more of Miranda.

Human Target #6 - For I Have Sinned - Chance takes a request from a friend to help protect a priest at a local church in a troubled neighbourhood.

Planetary #8 - The Day The World Turned Slower - A cover that looks like a poster from a low budget 60s sci-fi movie sets the tone for this issue. Gives a look into the the kind of things The 4 have been up to.

Powers #2 - Who Killed Retro Girl Part 2 - Start of the investigation into the death of Retro Girl. I love how the top 3/4ths of the page is the investigation and the bottom 1/4ths is the news channel circus covering the death. Great payoff on the last page as well.

Sandman #4 - A Hope in Hell - Dream journeys into hell to retrieve his helm. We are also introduced to Lucifer (and Nada).

Thanos Imperative #6 - Doesn't really work as a stand alone but a brilliant end to a great series.

Transmetropolitan #5 - What Spider Watches on TV - Spider Jerusalem watches tv and terrorizes call-in shows. Hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom