• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Before the Incal worth a read as well? I see it has a different artist but I have been enjoying Jodorowsky's world building quite a lot.

They were too expensive before. I don't mind spending money on quality statues, but plastic figurines? Ehhh I'm a bit more selective.

We got some statue class warfare going on right here. Cheska showing her disdain for the "poors" of the statue / figurine world.

"Oh, you have little plastic toys. How quaint~"

Cheska

We got some statue class warfare going on right here. Cheska showing her disdain for the "poors" of the statue / figurine world.

This made me laugh more than it should have LOL

Oh, I'm helping. I'm helping the future Cheska who will one day think to herself "Boy, I sure wish I listened to Freez and bought the Super Best Friends for $45 instead of the $120 they're selling for now!"

;)

I love you guys and our little community here <3

Nudull

Banned

Cheska's prejudiced against plastic toys. I knew she was too good to be true. ;_;

tim1138

They were too expensive before. I don't mind spending money on quality statues, but plastic figurines? Ehhh I'm a bit more selective.

I got the set last year for my wife as part of her birthday present, they're super high quality statues.

Zombine

Banned
Well, I guess now that I unlocked everyone in Smash I should probably read some books or buy some comic shit or something. I haven't spent money in like a day and I'm feeling incomplete. I don't think the chicken tenders I bought today count.

Cheska's prejudiced against plastic toys. I knew she was too good to be true. ;_;

Yeah but have you seen the quality of Marvel's figures? It's like they're made for kids or something.

Smash is taking away the little time I had for Comics this week.
I'll try to make my desert island list though. They would be mostly recent-ish books since I got into this hobby relatively recently.

Cheska

So what the hell happened to the iZombie show? Seems like there's been very little buzz around it compared to other comic related media.

It's a CW show. I don't think there's much on that network gets a lot of buzz.

Abs do.

Arrow-Men.jpg

Nudull

Banned
The only CW show I'm following right now is Flash (iZombie too, once that starts). I was trying out Arrow, but I've from friends how dumb and problematic it became later down the line so...eh. I do tune in and out of Supernatural for curiosity's sake, though.

The real question is what the hell happened to that transgender show they were producing? :c

Zombine

Banned
CW is the half naked male model clothing store of tv networks.

It is, but you gotta give them credit for appealing to both genders.

I watched the first 4 seasons of Supernatural. They were fun. I really started disliking it after that.

My girlfriend basically forced me to watch both Vampire Diaries and Supernatural, and I was under the assumption that they were some sort of bullshit teenie drama shows. I started watching with her to be fair and do something that she wanted, and I got hooked on both. While at this point both shows are definitely meandering, when they were at their peak I LOVED them.

The real question is what the hell happened to that transgender show they were producing? :c

They realized that Amazon made a better one.

maybe CW is just more like the "indy" of TV stations.

I thought IFC was the indie TV station?
lol Freeza I'm sorry I'm not picking on you tonight, I swear. Just go watch it. Season 1 is so cool.

MG310

That Super Best Friends 3 pack has the shorter bases and doesn't come with the 2 alternate heads for each figure.

My girlfriend basically forced me to watch both Vampire Diaries and Supernatural, and I was under the assumption that they were some sort of bullshit teenie drama shows. I started watching with her to be fair and do something that she wanted, and I got hooked on both. While at this point both shows are definitely meandering, when they were at their peak I LOVED them.

That's the problem with a lot of American tv shows. So many decent shows would have been great shows if they had shorter (and fewer) seasons.

Supernatural gets 10+ seasons when it should have ended at 5 as originally planned. The Middleman gets 12 episodes. And a great pilot like Global Frequency never even gets picked up.

tim1138

Here's the Scarecrow sketch Skottie Young drew in our Oz omnibus. It was fascinating seeing him do cover sketches, it looked like all he was doing was scribbling, but then he'd go over it in sharpie and it looked amazing.

Messi

Here's the Scarecrow sketch Skottie Young drew in our Oz omnibus. It was fascinating seeing him do cover sketches, it looked like all he was doing was scribbling, but then he'd go over it in sharpie and it looked amazing.

Man that is really sweet.

Messi

I keep finding myself curious about Sunstone and Messi's fascination towards it, but my brain is telling me no. :c

It's fantastic. That's why I am drawn to it. It has great characters and relationships and very real emotions. Throw the bdsm aside at its heart it's about friendship.

Stjepan writes great witty dialog that legitimately makes me laugh and smile but when he needs to he can make me feel quite bad.

His art is fantastic and in particular his faces show a wide range of emotion and personality traits. Take Lisas nervous lip bite.

Get the trade in December and you can thank me later

Sunstone is an amazing comic. I am counting down the days for the printed edition.

Goodness so am I. The work he has shown has been amazing. The conversion he is doing must have taken so long. Looks like he re drew the early pages and added beautiful borders.

I realize none of this helps Nudull because I am a crazy person who loves this book and he still has pause about trying it. I must say I never willingly push people to bad books. I absolutely love this series and want to see it do well. I might be my favorite thing I've read since getting back into comics. Yes actually it is.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Smash is taking away the little time I had for Comics this week.
I'll try to make my desert island list though. They would be mostly recent-ish books since I got into this hobby relatively recently.

Oh! Your post and avatar made me realize I totally should've included one of the TMNT Micro-Series issues in my list. I absolutely loved those.

One of my favorite parts of going to LBCC was watching artists work. The gorilla Jeff Stokely drew in my book was so cool to see him draw. It was scribbles and weird lines and then it turned into an awesome cigar-smoking gorilla.

So once again, gonna ask if someone can give me a lowdown on all the Batman titles so I know what I should check out and what I shouldn't waste my time with.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

That is dope!

Also, this has nothing to do with your post, but I just hit the page with your avatar in Final Crisis. Fuck, I seriously did not understand this book when I initially read it, and it's fucking great.

Oh! Your post and avatar made me realize I totally should've included one of the TMNT Micro-Series issues in my list. I absolutely loved those.

I can't believe I hadn't thought about those! I'll re read them sometime tomorrow and see which one gets the spot.

Read Grayson

Grayson is on the list. Gotham Academy now. Arkham Manor I will check out. I read Snyder's Batman via trade, I just rarely talk about it.

What about:

Detective Comics
Batman: The Dark Knight
Harley Quinn
Catwoman
Batgirl
Batwoman
Red Hood has a title? I think?

How are the other bat titles?

frye

Grayson is on the list. Gotham Academy now. Arkham Manor I will check out. I read Snyder's Batman via trade, I just rarely talk about it.

What about:

Detective Comics
Harley Quinn
Catwoman
Batgirl
Batwoman

In that order:
Pick up the latest issue and the next. Will probably be dull dull dull when the regular team comes back
Non existent (was bad)
Good if you're Messi
Might be good when the new team comes on (was bad)
Dull dull dull
Always will be bad

So once again, gonna ask if someone can give me a lowdown on all the Batman titles so I know what I should check out and what I shouldn't waste my time with.

Anything with Snyder's name on it. He's really making a name for himself as one of the best Bat writers ever.

I just started Batman Eternal, it's pretty epic so far.

Grayson is as well done as everyone says.

Not reading any of the other stuff atm.

In that order:
Pick up the latest issue and the next. Will probably be dull dull dull when the regular team comes back
Non existent (was bad)
Good if you're Messi
Dull dull dull
Always will be bad

Oh, so there really isn't much outside of Snyder worth reading then, huh?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

What about:

9000 Bat books.

Batman & Robin, start from issue 1. It's a great series that consistently hits the emotional heart of Batman, the family, and the losses they take--something that I think a lot of new52 Batman books are missing. Tomasi's story is a direct continuation of Morrison's Batman work, which is a run that I think everybody should read, but B&R is entirely great and enjoyable on its own. Also, it legitimately gets better with each and every issue, and the series is currently at a crazy all-time high, I feel.

On the art side, Pat Gleason's art is super underrated and great.

Edit: I agree with Frye's Bat-breakdown of the Bat-books.

Here's everyone else's lists. I hope I didn't miss anyone's.

ViewtifulJC - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128911817&postcount=1945
frye - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132667748&postcount=760
tim1138 - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132720362&postcount=875
Kipp - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132870842&postcount=1264
Serpentine - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132876137&postcount=1273

My desert island list. Issues I find myself going back to quite frequently. (I've mostly tried to pick stand alone issues).

Astro City #6 - Dinner at Eight: A first date between Samaritan (Superman) and Winged Victory. They just sit down, and talk. About their origin, ther philosophies and dealing with being superheroes. And all the time in the background, the other superheroes are covering for them. That just reinforces how difficult it was for both of them to carve out time for something as "normal" as a date.

Doom Patrol #29 - The Kingdom of No - Fitting end to what has become one of my favourite comic arcs (The Painting That Ate Paris). Some great antagonists, brilliant ideas and Superman and friends watching from the sidelines.

Global Frequency #8 - Miranda Zero gets kidnapped. Global Frequency find and rescue her. That's it. I love this issue just because it gives us more of Miranda.

Human Target #6 - For I Have Sinned - Chance takes a request from a friend to help protect a priest at a local church in a troubled neighbourhood.

Planetary #8 - The Day The World Turned Slower - A cover that looks like a poster from a low budget 60s sci-fi movie sets the tone for this issue. Gives a look into the the kind of things The 4 have been up to.

Powers #2 - Who Killed Retro Girl Part 2 - Start of the investigation into the death of Retro Girl. I love how the top 3/4ths of the page is the investigation and the bottom 1/4ths is the news channel circus covering the death. Great payoff on the last page as well.

Sandman #4 - A Hope in Hell - Dream journeys into hell to retrieve his helm. We are also introduced to Lucifer (and Nada).

Thanos Imperative #6 - Doesn't really work as a stand alone but a brilliant end to a great series.

Transmetropolitan #5 - What Spider Watches on TV - Spider Jerusalem watches tv and terrorizes call-in shows. Hilarious.
Great list. I'm happy to have actually read all but one from your list. Good stuff

Batman & Robin, start from issue 1. It's a great series that consistently hits the emotional heart of Batman, the family, and the losses they take--something that I think a lot of new52 Batman books are missing. Tomasi's story is a direct continuation of Morrison's Batman work, which is a run that I think everybody should read, but B&R is entirely great and enjoyable on its own. Also, it legitimately gets better with each and every issue, and the series is currently at a crazy all-time high, I feel.

On the art side, Pat Gleason's art is super underrated and great.

I still need to check out New 52 Batman and Robin. Tomasi and Gleason did work on B&R before the reboot right? I remember enjoying the White Knight trade years ago.

frye

Oh, so there really isn't much outside of Snyder worth reading then, huh?

Honestly, all things considered this is probably the most interested I've been in the been in the Bat line for a while. Since Batman Reborn anyways with Morrison on Batman/Robin, Stephanie Brown Batgirl, JHWIII on 'Tec, and even those not-bad Red Robin comics. With Gotham Acadamy/Batgirl/Ben Templesmith drawing non-JMS stuff again things are looking up, even if it turns out they're not for me.

Also 'Tec 35 is really nice. Considering how much you liked Ellis and Shavley on Moon Knight, I suspect you'd like this a bunch.

Filthy Slug

I still need to check out New 52 Batman and Robin. Tomasi and Gleason did work on B&R before the reboot right? I remember enjoying the White Knight trade years ago.

Yeap, they had a short story arc in post-Morrison Batman and Robin.

But really, I think more people should look into the current Tomasi/Gleason Batman & Robin run because they've been telling this snowball of a story--pretty much on the dl because so much attention has been placed almost entirely on Snyder and Capullo's Batman-- that's packed with damn good emotional moments, that just keeps getting bigger and better.

I mean, Bats is going by himself to Apokolips to start some shit with Darkseid over Damian's remains.

Veelk

Banned

What about:

Detective Comics
Harley Quinn
Catwoman
Batgirl
Batwoman

I liked Gail Simone's Batgirl, but it was a hit and miss run for me, depending on the story she was working on. Some parts, like her on James Gordon Jr. and the joker, were pretty good. Other parts, like random villains, were not so much. I think she set up Charise (the arch villain of her whole run) very, very well as a vile but worthy opponent and a great addition to the Batman (or Batgirl's specifically) rouge gallery, but prepare for a VERY unsatisfying conclusion to their rivalry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom