• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

mreddie

Spider Woman was a fun filler.

Amazing Spider Man: Fucking why, Slott, your boner for Doc Ock continues and it's fucking stupid.

Kingpin: Best ending to a good mini, I guess his book isn't til Feb. His last line is Black Pantherish.

Raven: I'm enjoying this but I think Starfire is still the best mini Titan series.

Messi

Oh boy, what did he do his time?

Sexualized a teenager

CvJIcyNWAAARyza.jpg:large

I'm just so done with that pose for any character. It's dumb and outdated and anatomically impossible and it's been done a zillion times. I'd say it could be right out of the '90s except Iron Man is a Black teenager and a girl.

mreddie

Someone needs to tell Marvel to stop hiring fanservice artists.

Except Adam Hughes.

Kelly Thompson ‏@79SemiFinalist 8m8 minutes ago
.#ACorps! It's true, as of issue #10, #AForce is cancelled. But consider writing 2 @Marvel - mheroes @marvelcom abt how much u love A-Force!

giphy.gif

Sandfox

Rather marvel do something similar to monster men and clone conspiracy/dead no more where only a handful of books cross over.
That's what MU is
Spider Woman was a fun filler.

Amazing Spider Man: Fucking why, Slott, your boner for Doc Ock continues and it's fucking stupid.

Kingpin: Best ending to a good mini, I guess his book isn't til Feb. His last line is Black Pantherish.

Raven: I'm enjoying this but I think Starfire is still the best mini Titan series.
Slott knows what his fans want lol.

It was so nice right? First comic book me and my boy read together. I had a lot of fun reading it myself too, just as a really light enjoyable thing and looking at all the funny little details in the art

Did you guys read Lil AvX from Secret Wars? No event knowledge needed and it's fab.

I'm sure you have Tiny Titans under your belt

Lil Gotham was the best though

Did you guys read Lil AvX from Secret Wars? No event knowledge needed and it's fab.

I'm sure you have Tiny Titans under your belt

Lil Gotham was the best though

No we did not, I don't know anything about lil AvX in fact. I want you to tell me it's skottie young though!

Yea, I think we have tiny titans, andddd superman family adventures? Also the lil hellboy books that team did. edit: itty bitty hellboy, that's the name.

I remember he was really loving the Green Lantern animated show comic & Lil Gotham but both of those went away, and all I had to buy him was a....beware the batman comic....that didn't last long hahah. He likes the Teen Titans Go book they do now, but that's about it.

No we did not, I don't know anything about lil AvX in fact. I want you to tell me it's skottie young though!

Yea, I think we have tiny titans, andddd superman family adventures? Also the lil hellboy books that team did. edit: itty bitty hellboy, that's the name.

I remember he was really loving the Green Lantern animated show comic & Lil Gotham but both of those went away, and all I had to buy him was a....beware the batman comic....that didn't last long hahah. He likes the Teen Titans Go book they do now, but that's about it.

It is Skottie! :) One of my favorite secret wars things. Actually just one of my favorite things period. The full title is Giant-Sized Little Marvel: AvX or something like that.

Yeah I'm STILL bummed DC Nation was a bust. Green Lantern was great. Young Justice was great. The shorts were amazing. RIP.

mreddie

DC Nation, gone too soon because CN was run by a utter moron.

That's definitely an offensive pose. By that I mean I'm offended by how bad that art is. Beyond that, I think people might be digging a little too deep looking for something to be offended about.

Some are blaming Marvel, I told some they are just the middle men and compared it to the Milo Spider Woman cover.

Boogiepop

So last night I finished up Omega Men, which was indeed really, really good, like people in here said. Yay for when recommendations work out! Also started Usagi Yojimbo Saga 6, and daaaaaamn, those chapters with the rain playing throughout looked slick. Just looked really nice.

Edit: Latest Amazing Spider-man:
Was it kind of super underwhelming for everyone else to see Doc Ock back to his straight up old look and seemingly fully super-villaining it up again? Like, I realize this is him snatched from mid-way through Superior before he truly finished his character growth, but it's pretty damn disappointing that it's looking like he didn't change at all from his old ways based off being Spider-man. Though I suppose we haven't seen too much of him just yet, but that's definitely the vibe I was getting.

PsychBat!

Banned
That's definitely an offensive pose. By that I mean I'm offended by how bad that art is. Beyond that, I think people might be digging a little too deep looking for something to be offended about.

Don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you babe
And I don't wanna miss a thing

Some are blaming Marvel, I told some they are just the middle men and compared it to the Milo Spider Woman cover.

I don't feel like the cover is overtly sexual. It's a somewhat stereotypical pose for a female character (just not in this decade). I don't think that in itself declares that the intention was to sexualize a teenager. You guys are assuming it was because JSC drew it.

Wow, Dark Hors eis really rolling these Mignolaverse books out ahead of time. DH just put out their Jan solicits, then Mignola announced the visitor for Feb and..we got more! These ones are scheduled for March. I guess they want people to understand that while the BPRD and *main* story is on break, things are still swinging:

Really excited to see Brian Churilla working on a Hellboy book! I love his stuff, he'll be an awesome fit. He's did some cool stuff on the sixth gun and did this awesome series awhile back about DB Cooper of all things, facing supernatural forces ha.

“Separated from the rest of the B.P.R.D., Hellboy finds himself in the company of a familiar enemy with a new weapon–and plans to test it out on Hellboy.”

“New York Harbor Patrol is in over their heads when a ghostly pirate ship appears on the Hudson River, and the Lobster’s hunt for a major mob boss may have something to do with it.”

Got these from crave: click

Messi

I don't feel like the cover is overtly sexual. It's a somewhat stereotypical pose for a female character (just not in this decade). I don't think that in itself declares that the intention was to sexualize a teenager. You guys are assuming it was because JSC drew it.

I'm assuming it because I have eyes.

VanWinkle

That man has a horse head.

Only one thing to do.

iZQqO0F.jpg

Wow, Dark Hors eis really rolling these Mignolaverse books out ahead of time. DH just put out their Jan solicits, then Mignola announced the visitor for Feb and..we got more! These ones are scheduled for March. I guess they want people to understand that while the BPRD and *main* story is on break, things are still swinging:

Really excited to see Brian Churilla working on a Hellboy book! I love his stuff, he'll be an awesome fit. He's did some cool stuff on the sixth gun and did this awesome series awhile back about DB Cooper of all things, facing supernatural forces ha.

Man, I really need to get into the mignolaverse!

That pose was invented and popularized to sexualize female characters. Everyone who has been reading comics for any length of time recognizes that pose and knows what is meant to convey. It's shitty that it still happens at all if for no other reason than it is bad art and totally uninspired. I think this is laziness more than a "sex sells" attitude but it's still gross and utterly thoughtless. And I fully expect him to double down on his choice rather than try to understand why it bothers people, which would be extra gross.

That said, I'm not super ruffled. Marvel knew what they were doing here and it is a variant cover I will never see again.

Infamous Iron Man: Who is this person and where's Dr.Doom? Will keep reading until he shows up.

I didn't dislike the issue, but I didn't find it very interesting, either. I don't know where Marvel is going with this good-guy Doom plot thread.

What would you do if you met Campbell in real life?

I would ask him if he has any of those Sideshow Mary Jane statues he designed stashed somewhere and see if he would sell me one.

That pose was invented and popularized to sexualize female characters. Everyone who has been reading comics for any length of time recognizes that pose and knows what is meant to convey. It's shitty that it still happens at all if for no other reason than it is bad art and totally uninspired. I think this is laziness more than a "sex sells" attitude but it's still gross and utterly thoughtless. And I fully expect him to double down on his choice rather than try to understand why it bothers people, which would be extra gross.

That said, I'm not super ruffled. Marvel knew what they were doing here and it is a variant cover I will never see again.

I bet he apologizes by next week. Harada was caught up in a somewhat same situation and immediately apologized. But not everyone can be Harada.

sldn95k.jpg

A bunch of Goon hit CMX Unlimited if you want to try it at low cost Donnie!

I bet he apologizes by next week. Harada was caught up in a somewhat same situation and immediately apologized. But not everyone can be Harada.

Maybe so, but I'd be pretty shocked if he actually stopped drawing characters like that.

VanWinkle

Haha! Is that the goon?? I really need to get into the goon!

And you totally should man, even if you just read through Hellboy. With the landing stuck, it really is a fantastic set of books to read through.

Yeah it's the Goon. SO good.

Man, I just need to get those beautiful library editions. Only bad thing is that the first few of them are like <300 pages but $50 cover price. So I prioritize books with more pages, but at some point I just need to GET THEM. At least the first one, to get started.

Top Bottom