• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Oh is ghostbusters out on bluray now? I'd quite like to get that,I want to see the weird ghosts and ghouls hah not sure what to watch tonight. Maybe Pan's Labyrinth.

Messi

unnamed-10.jpg

This one, I'm assuming? Is that dead/was it good, btw? I'm not really recalling much discussion of it in here outside of when it was announced...

It's fun. He is finishing the last issue and then like all his other work it's going to ogn only format.

Love Pan's Labyrinth! Absolutely depressing movie, but it's so good.

Oh yeah, it's devastating. It has a really beautiful quality to it though too, the ability and craft with which the story is told and the visuals. It sticks with you like a fairy tale, except it teaches you there is no such thing. I knew very little the Spanish civil war when I first saw it too, so the period aspect to it is fascinating. I was going between that or Coraline haha

Glad to hear young animal nailed it again this week.

Doctor Strange #13
[3/5]: I thought I would like this more then I did given the setup but Nightmare kind of just got glossed over. Strange seems pretty broken for a guy without magic to rely on and his nightmare didn't even seem that bad.

Spider-Woman #12

[3/5]: Decent, fun issue. Lacks a lot of the charm and humor of earlier issues though.

Mighty Thor #12

[4/5]: I really liked the origin, it's both something that seems unexpected but really fits in quite nicely with the Thor universe and lore.

Superman #9

[4/5]: I'm loving the way Clark is teaching his son and all the moments of interaction between them. Interesting that this story seems to be part of a larger plot, I had pegged it as a side story.

Trinity #2
[4/5]: The ending was... surprising. But it makes a whole lot of sense given that the book is called Trinity and not Superman.

Trinity #2
[4/5]: The ending was... surprising. But it makes a whole lot of sense given that the book is called Trinity and not Superman.

I was just glad it came back to Jon getting the seeds from a stranger. I thought it was so damn weird that Lois was fine with it in the first issue. Lois continues to be a horrible mother.

Hagi

All this Nintendo goodness today. I'm sitting in the Glasgow auditorium waiting on the intermission for the Zelda Symphony of the Goddesses to finish. If I wasn't hyped for the new Zelda before I certainly now.

In comic related news I bought the four issues of Black Hammer because it looks awesome.

PsychBat!

Banned
All this Nintendo goodness today. I'm sitting in the Glasgow auditorium waiting on the intermission for the Zelda Symphony of the Goddesses to finish. If I wasn't hyped for the new Zelda before I certainly now.
Ah Symphony of the Goddesses.

Perfect place to be if you're a Zelda and orchestrated music fan.

In comic related news I bought the four issues of Black Hammer because it looks awesome.

Dude that's awesome. I had no idea that was on. How much did that skin you? Damn, I'd love to see that. I need to keep up on stuff like that more. Looking forward to black hammer hitting trade, that ones right up there on the want list

Hagi

Ah Symphony of the Goddesses.

Perfect place to be if you're a Zelda and orchestrated music fan.

It's the first type of event I've been to like this. Been fantastic so far, the music is beautiful.

Dude that's awesome. I had no idea that was on. How much did that skin you? Damn, I'd love to see that. I need to keep up on stuff like that more. Looking forward to black hammer hitting trade, that ones right up there on the want list

120 for two tickets I think? We have pretty good seats in the stalls though. Pretty sure the tiers were as cheap as 30. Ive been trying to get tickets for final fantasy distant worlds for ages and noticed this was on earlier in the year.

I had a quick flick through the first issue before we left and it seems really interesting. Really need to delve more in the dark horse catalogue.

Set in 2024, Logan and Professor Charles Xavier must cope with the loss of the X-Men at the hands of a corporation led by Nathaniel Essex. With Logan's healing abilities slowly fading and Xavier's Alzheimer's hampering his memory, Logan must defeat Essex with the help of a young girl named Laura Kinney, a female clone of Wolverine.

Yessssss~

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Will be starting Annihilation Conquest proper tonight. It's been pretty good so far. I enjoyed Nova, Star Lord, and Quasar quite a bit. Wraith was equally as boring. A very 90's character and art. The Phalanx have been mildly disappointing as a threat. They are appropriately threatening (though not nearly as much as the Wave) but at the same time they feel a bit generic.I actually prefer the the body snatcher/cylon approach used in the Phalanx Covenant even if that crossover wasn't nearly as good overall. Still looking forward to shit really hitting the fan.

After this I have weird urge to read Atlantis Attacks.

Will be starting Annihilation Conquest proper tonight. It's been pretty good so far. I enjoyed Nova, Star Lord, and Quasar quite a bit. Wraith was equally as boring. A very 90's character and art. The Phalanx have been mildly disappointing as a threat. They are appropriately threatening (though not nearly as much as the Wave) but at the same time they feel a bit generic.I actually prefer the the body snatcher/cylon approach used in the Phalanx Covenant even if that crossover wasn't nearly as good overall. Still looking forward to shit really hitting the fan.

I look forward to your review after you're done!

Yeah, I like Conquest a lot but Phalanx Covenant is still my favorite Phalanx story, even if it is a guilty pleasure.

It's the first type of event I've been to like this. Been fantastic so far, the music is beautiful.

120 for two tickets I think? We have pretty good seats in the stalls though. Pretty sure the tiers were as cheap as 30. Ive been trying to get tickets for final fantasy distant worlds for ages and noticed this was on earlier in the year.

I had a quick flick through the first issue before we left and it seems really interesting. Really need to delve more in the dark horse catalogue.

Lol we must be uncultured swine. I mentioned to my girlfriend that someone online was at the Zelda orchestra, and she immediately did an oOoOo and then asked if you were having wine and canapes. I don't even. That does sound great though!

Yea dark horse are a cool company man, they made some good moves over the last few years to get more original stuff out there, I think losing star wars was a big deal. I really appreciate them too as a trade reader because the effort they make with them. Really nice paper quality, sketch sections, I've never had problems with binding or warping. I have my own list of stuff like lady killer, colder, mind mgmt/dept. H that I want to check out.

Boogiepop

Okay, I feel like I missed something in Gotham Academy. Like, the Damian filler issue happened and then it feels like a big old chunk is missing when the plot returns after that. Like, was there a tie-in or something? Seriously, what's going on here? It's weird and I'm confused.

On a similar note, am I correct in thinking we're not supposed to know what's happening in Jessica Jones #1? Like, that one feels intentional, but I want to make sure this isn't, like, spinning out of Civil War II and I'm missing something or something like that.

Sandfox

Okay, I feel like I missed something in Gotham Academy. Like, the Damian filler issue happened and then it feels like a big old chunk is missing when the plot returns after that. Like, was there a tie-in or something? Seriously, what's going on here? It's weird and I'm confused.

On a similar note, am I correct in thinking we're not supposed to know what's happening in Jessica Jones #1? Like, that one feels intentional, but I want to make sure this isn't, like, spinning out of Civil War II and I'm missing something or something like that.
That Damian issue was bad lol.

We aren't supposed to know what's going on in Jessica Jones.

You know what...that's a good question. I haven't even looked.

Edit: not yet.
Looks like he has had some kind of contact with Fox going by this interview from last year where he talked about Civil War and Logan with CBR:
Millar addressed the third Wolverine film, though he stopped short of confirming that it would indeed be based on “Old Man Logan.” He did say, however, that characters like Hawkeye, Hulk, and Red Skull are “not important to the story… Basically Wolverine doing the road movie is the important thing and he has a friend with him. But that friend could be Cyclops and he could be blind by the fact that his ruby-quartz visor is broken and he has to keep his eyes closed the whole time and everything, but still insists on driving the car they’re crossing America with. There’s lots of stuff. Instead of the Hulk, you could have the Blob or something.”

He said he sees how in a cinematic universe, keeping it within the X-Men universe makes a lot of sense. “Comic fans are different from the mainstream world. I know this stuff backwards because I’ve lived my whole life loving this stuff, but most people don’t know all the minutia and everything so I think keeping it simplified and keeping it generally X-Men universe is a smarter thing to do cinematically.”

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Pretty sure the movie will work on its own, it looks amazing, but the most interesting part of the book was the postapocalyptic parts of america with all the other superhero stuff, like the skeleton Giant Man who had become a sightseeing place, etc.

Zombine

Banned
I'm really bummed out that this is the end for Jackman, because this could be an awesome franchise.

Also a reminder that this takes place in the post DoFP timeline where 3 happened but exists in its own "bad" timeline. This takes place in the far future of the "good" timeline at the end of DoFP which also includes AoA and The Wolverine (which itself is a prequel to the events of DoFP.

Edit: and Deadpool, which takes place far after all of these in the modern timeline.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm really bummed out that this is the end for Jackman, because this could be an awesome franchise.

Also a reminder that this takes place in the post DoFP timeline where 3 happened but exists in its own "bad" timeline. This takes place in the far future of the "good" timeline at the end of DoFP which also includes AoA and The Wolverine.

Edit: and Deadpool, which takes place far after all of these in the modern timeline.
You are explaining it, but I have no idea when or on which timeline this takes place *g*

GAMEPROFF

Banned
God I fuckin love X-Men lol

This is the post DoFP corrected timeline.

Edit: I will make a graph for the movies to make it make sense.

Not to be mean about this, and this is not about Comparing Cinematic Universes, but Fox has done such a horrible mess with all their timelines :D
But it could be used for cool creative stuff with alternate universe switcheroos, etc. They could do a real Age of Apocalypse with the original timeline, etc

Not to be mean about this, and this is not about Comparing Cinematic Universes, but Fox has done such a horrible mess with all their timelines :D
But it could be used for cool creative stuff with alternate universe switcheroos, etc. They could do a real Age of Apocalypse with the original timeline, etc

So it's like the X-Men comics

Professor X was on the Enterprise?!?

In the Star Trek TNG/X-Men novel that came out as a sequel to the comic way back when, both sets of characters commented on how much Picard and Xavier resembled each other. This was a good three or four years before the first X-Men movie came out.

Star_Trek_The_Next_Generation_X-Men_Second_Contact_Vol_1_1_Variant_Wraparound.jpg

In the comic, they travel through time, ending up in the Days of Future Past time as well as the Battle of Wolf 359.

Planet_X_Star_Trek.jpg

In the Star Trek TNG/X-Men novel that came out as a sequel to the comic way back when, both sets of characters commented on how much Picard and Xavier resembled each other. This was a good three or four years before the first X-Men movie came out.

Planet_X_Star_Trek.jpg

I was going to joke about there being a universe where that statement was actually true, but then I thought "you know I'm sure something along those lines has really happened at some point"

Top Bottom