• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Nice. Dark Horse has announced a new, and the final, Baltimore series, The Red Kingdom for 2017. I've really enjoyed the book, it maybe gets lost in the shadow of it's bigger brothers but I'd definitely recommend it, especially if you like the look of Hellboy etc but want something smaller and more straight forward/self contained. That'll be 8 volumes once things have wrapped up. I guess they're clearing the deck so they can work on Joe Golem/new stuff.

Baltimore-The-Red-Kingdom-1-Cover.jpg

“Lord Baltimore has lived a hellish life ever since the night he led an ill-fated mission across a World War 1 battlefield,” Golden told Nerdist. “He lost his wife and his family, essentially everyone who’d ever loved him, and he set out on a quest for vengeance that led him to reluctantly embrace a larger destiny. He’s always felt damned, always felt like he was marching toward his own doom, but in Baltimore: The Red Kingdom, all of the threads of his destiny come together. There’s always been a bit of opera in this series, and The Red Kingdom is the final act. The curtain is coming down.”

Link

------

Also, a preview for John Arcudi's new mini series, Dead Inside. It follows a detective in the jail crimes division, which investigates crimes committed inside prison. sounds pretty cool! Fejzula's art looks phenomenal, I remember him being the highlight of Veil.

Dead Inside Preview

Zombine what is your favorite horrible X-future

Actually what is everyone's favorite horrible X-future?

DOFP is obviously the GOAT, but I have a soft spot for the "Legacy" arc of Exiles. Basically, it all went to shit when Cypher got the Legacy Virus, and Warlock bonded with him to try to cure him. Then it evolved into a techno-organic super-virus, and well, it didn't go well....

tim1138

Zombine what is your favorite horrible X-future

Actually what is everyone's favorite horrible X-future?

Obviously Days of Future Past is the absolute best, but despite Apocalypse being a jobber extraordinaire, I've always had a soft spot for Cable's future with Aksani. Bishop's was probably the worst with the stupid Gambit/Witness/X-Traitor nonsense.

I rented Ghostbusters, I bet it's good.

The movie? First half is pretty alright. Then the second half decides to become a different movie and is a little dumb. Was perfectly fine, got too much hate.

Oh is ghostbusters out on bluray now? I'd quite like to get that,I want to see the weird ghosts and ghouls hah not sure what to watch tonight. Maybe Pan's Labyrinth.

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Kate McKinnon so good.

Yes, and it was spectacular

It was pretty great, yeah. I love Oeming's art, and it's nice to see him do something besides Powers, which is getting pretty stale at this point.

It's fun. He is finishing the last issue and then like all his other work it's going to ogn only format.

Switch might be my favorite comic. When it actually releases.

This one is gooooooooooooooood.

If only the comic was going to be as good as the cover.

AoA cuz Blink

Blink is such a great character, especially in Phalanx Covenant and AoA Astonishing. That was probably my favorite book from AoA, Generation Next being a close second.

There are some amazing moments in AoA I will never forget. Bishop, totally disoriented, surrounded by bodies in Alpha. Blink vs. Holocaust. That page when Colossus is watching the doors close on Husk...the look of despair and horror on his face, the look of...jesus, so much is communicated in Husk's eyes on that page. Magneto's finishing move on Apocalypse in Omega. BAD. ASS. Such amazing panels. That page in Gen Next is one of my all-time favorites.

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Kate McKinnon so good.

The trailer looked pretty great. I was a huge ghostbusters cartoon kid and it didn't strike me as off brand or anything. I remember the ghostbusters being a funny foursome. Sadly, I did check, no bluray til the end of Nov here in the uk. They should of got that sucker out for halloween.

Magneto's finishing move on Apocalypse in Omega. BAD. ASS..

"WHY WON'T YOU FIGHT BACK?"
"I....can't. I'm concentrating."

SHRRRRRRRRIP

"For twenty years Apocalypse, you've talked about how only the strong survive. Tell me again, just how strong you are. We were the mighiest of our race. Suppose we'd been on the same side? What a world that would have been."

Ah, the memories.

"WHY WON'T YOU FIGHT BACK?"
"I....can't. I'm concentrating."

SHRRRRRRRRIP

"For twenty years Apocalypse, you've talked about how only the strong survive. Tell me again, just how strong you are. We were the mighiest of our race. Suppose we'd been on the same side? What a world that would have been."

Ah, the memories.

Ohhhh man. Best Magneto.

TheFlow

Banned
Doctor Strange #13.

Basically this is Doctor Strange in the Gauntlet. Powers are basically non-existent, and he is facing rogue after rogue. Never heard of any of them. He got out this fight too easily in my eyes.

3/5

not really fond of Doctor Strange post #7. not bad enough to drop, but not interesting enough to sing its praises like I used to.

TMNT is killing it with the covers. like damn.

A funny little excerpt from an answer Brubaker gave about picking paper stock for his books in his latest newsletter:

Truthfully, we're totally obsessive about every aspect of the printing of our books. From the design down to the paper stock and what kind of spine the hardback will have. This makes our books sometimes more expensive to print than many other comics are, but for me and Sean and now Bettie, it's worth it.

The only problem with it is that sometimes other creators see our paper stock and decide to use that same stock and then the paper runs out at the printer and we have to find a new stock. But I'm glad to see more and more comics using the matte-finish paper we use, because it's much nicer and feels heavier in your hand.

I just like this because he even obsesses over the spines! I appreciate that so much as a trade reader, and looking at my shelf, all of his books have a really nice consistent look, which is unfortunately not always the case. Also, it's pretty funny hearing about other creators wanting the good stuff once they've done the hard part haha. Secret wars 2: Paper wars.

You okay btw? All the reviews I spotted made it seem like this was the *big* one for Rumble this week, a real obliterating issue. I thought it might have blown your brains out!

So I saw this on TV Tropes an hour or so ago in the What Could Have Been section:

The post-Civil War II relaunch of The Champions was originally going to be called Awesome Avengers.

Anyone know anything more about this? I have to know if this is true.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
You okay btw? All the reviews I spotted made it seem like this was the *big* one for Rumble this week, a real obliterating issue. I thought it might have blown your brains out!

I've not read any of my Image titles from the last two weeks yet because I've been reading Conquest. Reading through a couple of Marvel events while I let m Image titles bunch up something I've been doing lately. A couple of months ago I did the same thing Annihilation and Supperior Foes. Before that it was AoA.

Then after I finish with the events I go back and catch up on my "current" Marvel stuff. Last time my Image stuff bunched up for two months. This time it'll only be about a month because the events are smaller and I've dropped more on-going since then.

It's just a way to keep things fresh.

Finished Superman Birthright, though it was a good read, but maybe a tad bit overrated, doesn't reach the level of ASS. Didn't particularly like tying Lex to Smallville, overall 4/5. A good origin story but nothing groundbreaking. Favorite panel was this:

main-qimg-77e775e9505fd0d7341d2f927af44205

Reading The Ultimates (#1-12) for the first time, a real page turner. Never read Mark Millar before but he has a very outrageous writing style. I like it so far but no way would I want it to be canon.

Funny how they named RDJ for Iron Man and Samuel Jackson for Fury. No Woody Allen for Banner though.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Superman Birthright, though it was a good read, but maybe a tad bit overrated, doesn't reach the level of ASS. Didn't particularly like tying Lex to Smallville, overall 4/5. A good origin story but nothing groundbreaking. Favorite panel was this:

Pretty sure the Lex/Smallville stuff was done because Birthright came out around the time Smallville did and they wanted to emulate the show.

Age of Apocalypse was the GOAT, no question. The entire run was so damn fun and weird.

I think it really inspired a lot of Marvel's "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach of today. For better and for worse.

Age of Apocalypse was the GOAT, no question. The entire run was so damn fun and weird.

I think it really inspired a lot of Marvel's "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach of today. For better and for worse.

Yeah I was going to make the same comment in fact. That was the beginning.

mreddie

So I saw this on TV Tropes an hour or so ago in the What Could Have Been section:

Anyone know anything more about this? I have to know if this is true.

Breevoort I think said it in case they couldn't get the trademark which they lost after the 1 volume ended in the 80s.

Actually, one of the alternate Ghost Box futures was pretty good. Where all the mutants were dead except for Armor, Beast, and Logan. Beast had regressed to a more feral form and Logan couldn't walk because the adamantium in his legs was bent. Armor killed them both after reaching a "safe zone" to find everyone dead. Then she killed herself.

Fucking dark

Top Bottom