• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

HA HA HA HA

Everyone hates you Karen

Edit: I can't stop laughing and I'm in a tiny hotel room with my sleeping wife and child. Halp

I died when I saw it. I mean, advertising shows them having a fucking blast when she brings her video game system to their adult drinking party. It writes itself.

I died when I saw it. I mean, advertising shows them having a fucking blast when she brings her video game system to their adult drinking party. It writes itself.

Nintendo doesn't live in a world where adults do things like have drinking parties. Or sex.

IT WAS JUST SEX FOR GOD'S SAKE

mreddie

Fuck is every book gonna reference Hamilton?

CvQnXOtWEAIPsm7.jpg

anaron

Rape is icky so someone gotta retcon it. I'm actually shocked they didn't just say it was Skrull Bobbi.

of course rape is icky and awful; but retconning the rapist into a consensual relationship is beyond fucked up. So I guess Bobbi is now an adulterer and cold blooded killer?

Probably the most defining and powerful moment for Bobbi is letting Phantom Rider fall to his death for what he did to her and it informs her entire relationship with Hawkeye following as well. She takes back her agency in that decision and doesn't let it destroy her and it's an amazing character moment.

To "solve" it in such a regressive, handwaving of Mockingbird/Hawkeye & Avengers history is just bizarre and insulting.

mreddie

We need Alex to complete that but with all the new heroes, Power Pack are just cult heroes at this point, maybe someone will pull a Squirrel Girl with them.

Scalped - Vol. 5: High Lonesome
[5/5]: Aaron sure knows how to hook you right from the start. The con man plot was really interesting and I hope this isn't the last we see of it despite most of the loose ends being tied up by volumes end (though it does seem like the syringe will be a factor going forward in some form).

Every backstory, every detail makes the world more tragic. I don't understand how Aaron managed to stuff in so much depth into this world. Insight into Diesel was great but Nitz still leaves something to be desired as it's pretty easy to be "against" him and "root" for the other characters. Quotations cause mostly everyone's a dick really.

Interesting to see the killer confirmed, though it only leads to more questions then actual answers. And that ending, holy shit, Dash is a bad ass.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait that IS the Power Pack lol. I didnt even notice the selfie part when I said it.

Scalped - Vol. 6: The Gnawing
[5/5]: HOLY FUCK! That was insane! Aaron immediately shot to the top of my favorite comic writers list. This volume was one of the best volumes I've ever read in a comic. I just couldn't put it down. All I wanted to do was read an issue and call it a night but I read the entire damn thing and I read it so fast.

I'm still reeling. If ever there was a time to use the shit just got real GIF, this would be it. The sheer amount of escalation in this volume as all the plot strings start moving towards the end goal was insane.

I don't even know where I would get started with all the crazy moments. But...

Dash is a badass.
Red Crow is a fucking badass. Holy shit, he is one of the best characters ever.

The pages with the Hmong at the end... I literally jumped outta my chair.

Scalped - Vol. 5: High Lonesome
[5/5]:

Scalped - Vol. 6: The Gnawing
[5/5]:

haha yes! You're deep in it now, AND you're only just half way through. This ride is going places before it's through...it's fucking great watching you get through all this shit, the series is truly fantastic. I do wonder if the tv series can live up to it. Would of been cool if it had been HBO or FX that had picked it up or something.

One you're through with Scalped, his book he put out beforehand, The Other Side, is fascinating too, about two soldiers on either side of Nam. Turns out Aaron's cousin is the guy who wrote the book Full Metal Jacket was based on, and it's just a great story that is very on point in the same ways Scalped is. Southern Bastards is incredible and The Goddamned still hasn't hit trade but it's the Scalped team. Aaron & his collaborators are brilliant.

Moon Knight #7
I have a lot of fun dissecting this book, issue by issue. It's really enjoyable to do. And as usual, I'm going to talk out of my ass and hope I seem smart.

This issue is probably one of the easiest ones to parse strictly in terms of what's happening in the general sense:
Marc is being broken down by an outside force. That much is fairly easy to see. The flashes between both scenarios, coupled with head pains and the inability to be totally coherent between flashes make this obvious. In the previous issue a similar thing was happening. His lives are also being destroyed. His life as Steven Grant is gone. That said, this issue is fairly simple; What we can only assume is Khonshu is attempting to break Marc down through force, as indicated by the wolves attacking the Moon Base, where Marc fights them back as Moon Knight One. We know this is one of the deity's, again assumed to be Khonshu, due to the fucking space pyramid. Marc is fighting back with insane mental concoction he can muster. It's always been one of his strengths as much as a weakness. His insanity makes him unpredictable, but it's easy to exploit. That's what's happening now, as he's being flipped between two of his "lives" in order to keep him off balance. In order to lose the "main" space battle (the fact that he is Moon Knight in that one as well as the fucking space pyramid), he's being whipped back to his more human life. In both scenarios, he loses his allies; Frenchie, Gena, and the Moon Knights are all killed, while the cops (with whom he allied himself as Mr. Knight) are turned against him. We see two more identities go down the drain here: Moon Knight is finally bitten and then (assumedly) turned by the wolves, while Jake Lockley is outed as being Marc Spector.

Basically, Khonshu is hollowing him out again, this time by force rather than subtle manipulation. I mean, he is dying. Makes sense that he'd start to get impatient.

Superman

Liked this a little less than the first issue, but it was still OK. It just seemed like the first issue was the adventure and this issue was like "Ok, now lets just get back to the status quo" Just an ok issue.

Cave Carson

I liked this the least of all the Young Animal books so far, but I still liked it enough. I'll check out another issue or two and see if it grabs me then.

Nightwing

I think I'm done with Nightwing. It's not horrible, it's just not good in my opinion. Raptor is just Tiger 2.0 with a magical gauntlet. This book overall just seems like Grayson 2.0 but worse.

Green Lanterns

This book started out bad but since the last issue or two of the first arc it's really picked up. Usually don't care about issues giving villains a stand alone origin issue but this was interesting and interconnected enough that I really liked it.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I thought the first 3 Black Hammers were quite spiffy. I still haven't bought the 4th because I forgot I cancelled my sub when they announced that stupid annual.

I thought the first 3 Black Hammers were quite spiffy. I still haven't bought the 4th because I forgot I cancelled my sub when they announced that stupid annual.

Stupid annual? What?! This has been about the only annual I've heard that I've been actually interested in. Filling out that world with other stories seems like the best way to handle that world. Handing them off to different writers will just make it even better to have different feels for each character.

I think it sounds like an awesome idea.

I thought #4 was another great issue. A little sad, a little more info, and a little more glimpse of Black Hammer. Overall just good, though I think I'm getting to a point where I want something to come about to move toward. It's still seems like set up right now.

I was also confused on the person at the end of the issue.
Was it the witch(forget her name) or someone new? Couldn't really tell.

Lemire is pretty big on sharing his work with friends/collaborators, Sweet Tooth had guest issues from some of the talent on the black hammer annual. I'd just take it as it is, a nice bonus.

Hoping to get through these today:

I guess I had left some of my last batch of buys for next time I was doing a big reread, I realised I don't actually think I've read Hell On Earth vol. 11 or 12 (which I've had on my shelf since January I think haha), in addition to volume 13 and 14 I bought the other week. Always a nice surprise haha

Messi

Did you guys know that next week features a $10 Deadpool issue and an $8 Giant Days holiday special annual. I thought Giant Days was better than this. Even with 40 story pages. It stings.

Ouch, that's steep. All-Star Batman is $5 and that's 30 pagess right?

Yeah...and I do wonder if that will turn me away eventually. It's already rubbing me the wrong way three issues in, and I'm liking the backup. The minute the backup stumbles? I dunno. I don't think it's a great move with most of the rest of their line at $3, even if $4 is still the industry standard at the moment. I know in my brain one of those dollars is going to top tier talent, but in my gut it feels like I'm paying two bucks for eight pages of backup.

If I ever have to cut back it will be one of the first books to go.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Stupid annual? What?! This has been about the only annual I've heard that I've been actually interested in. Filling out that world with other stories seems like the best way to handle that world. Handing them off to different writers will just make it even better to have different feels for each character.

I thought #4 was another great issue. A little sad, a little more info, and a little more glimpse of Black Hammer. Overall just good, though I think I'm getting to a point where I want something to come about to move toward. It's still seems like set up right now.

I don't like any of the artists selected other than Lenox. Plus I just don't like the annuals in general. Pretty much all my podcasts talk about Black Hammer though so it won't be hard to find out what happens in the book.

Hope you enjoy it though.

Yeah...and I do wonder if that will turn me away eventually. It's already rubbing me the wrong way three issues in, and I'm liking the backup. The minute the backup stumbles? I dunno. I don't think it's a great move with most of the rest of their line at $3, even if $4 is still the industry standard at the moment. I know in my brain one of those dollars is going to top tier talent, but in my gut it feels like I'm paying two bucks for eight pages of backup.

I could be wrong but I thought I either heard or read that Snyder himself is wanting the backup to end up its own book so he can get all-star down in price. I thought I had heard that from someone talking to him or something like that.

I don't like any of the artists selected other than Lenox. Plus I just don't like the annuals in general. Pretty much all my podcasts talk about Black Hammer though so it won't be hard to find out what happens in the book.

Hope you enjoy it though.

Understandable, I usually hate annuals as well. The premise and the book itself is the only reason I'm interested in this one.

Ross61

Scott has talked about wanting Duke to get an ongoing after he builds him up, yes. Don't think it was said he wanted to do it to decrease AS price.

Haha I know what you mean. They dress it up as this and this, but you can't help but come back to the price. I should buckle up for the trade price! It'll probably be HC too.

I could be wrong but I thought I either heard or read that Snyder himself is wanting the backup to end up its own book so he can get all-star down in price. I thought I had heard that from someone talking to him or something like that.

He definitely tweeted not long ago that $5 was only way DC would give him the extra pages and he wanted them, but would rather not have that price tag/couldn't do much about it. Not sure about the rest

Really like this variant by Pia Guerra for hulk!

Scott has talked about wanting Duke to get an ongoing after he builds him up, yes. Don't think it was said he wanted to do it to decrease AS price.

Haha I know what you mean. They dress it up as this and this, but you can't help but come back to the price. I should buckle up for the trade price! It'll probably be HC too.

He definitely tweeted not long ago that $5 was only way DC would give him the extra pages and he wanted them, but would rather not have that price tag/couldn't do much about it. Not sure about the rest

Really like this variant by Pia Guerra for she hulk!

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of. Probably speculation on what he has said about it.

Don't get me wrong man I'm not discounting it, I have no idea , just pitching in with what I have seen haha

Oh I'm completely agreeing. I always just assume I'm wrong because I listen to so much different shit and read so much stuff that it all just gets jumbled together. He probably said things like above and some podcast or another speculated on possibly what he meant or took it as him wanting the price to drop.

Last night reading Cave Carson I was having Deja Vu the entire time because I had listened to a podcast talk about it but had forgotten so the entire time I'm thinking I already read it and was confused as hell.

Oooo this ASM Masterworks sale on CMX is mighty tempting....four bucks per volume? I'd love to have this run in my digital collection. It's my favorite Stan run by far and honestly still one of the best Spider-Man runs. If my backlog wasn't so big right now I'd buy instantly. Hmmmm.....

Edit: just did the math...I can get the whole run for less than fifty bucks? Yeah I'm buying this

TheFlow

Banned
still not buying all star because it is 5 bucks I will eventually cave when they bring in a villain I like.

edit cave and got CMX unlimited. so much more stuff.

Zombine

Banned
Oooo this ASM Masterworks sale on CMX is mighty tempting....four bucks per volume? I'd love to have this run in my digital collection. It's my favorite Stan run by far and honestly still one of the best Spider-Man runs. If my backlog wasn't so big right now I'd buy instantly. Hmmmm.....

Edit: just did the math...I can get the whole run for less than fifty bucks? Yeah I'm buying this

Masterworks are really only worthwhile in physical imo.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member

I'll echo the stupid annual comments. As for the spoiler: same character. I also felt the story is definitely moving forward
as they see the door to the parallel universe now
. But I can see why you want want more movement on the farm.

Top Bottom