• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Sandfox

What if soule gets one book and lemire the other since they are both on death of x.

I'm expecting Inhuman books to be announced next week with Soule probably staying there.

What makes this reshuffle of X-Men any different than this time last year when they shook up the x books? Last year we got a new slate of team books and some solo books. Seems the same to me. Eh.

Not getting any way excited until I see creatives and then rosters.
They pretty much said that everything I don't like about the current state of the X-Men will be gone in favor of the things people like about the brand.

mreddie

Uncanny, Mosaic, Kamala and Moon Girl are the only ones and I feel Soule is good with Uncanny, Maybe another All New Inhumans?

Sandfox

Uncanny, Mosaic, Kamala and Moon Girl are the only ones and I feel Soule is good with Uncanny, Maybe another All New Inhumans?

Yeah, I'm expecting another Nuhumans book. Personally I would like to see the royal family go back to space with the Nuhumans getting the earth focus.

mreddie

Yeah, I'm expecting another Nuhumans book. Personally I would like to see the royal family go back to space with the Nuhumans getting the earth focus.

I doubt Royale with Cheese will be back in space anytime soon, then again, Asgard was in the US for like 4 years?

What makes this reshuffle of X-Men any different than this time last year when they shook up the x books? Last year we got a new slate of team books and some solo books. Seems the same to me. Eh.

Fair to wait on creative and rosters, certainly. Not fair to say this is no different when the philosophy expressed in the announcement interview makes it abundantly clear that:

-they know their fans are unhappy and they want them to be happy. They want this to be a premiere line again. Four team books and three solo books is nothing to sneeze at. Coming off a major event, too. This is a much bigger push.
-they have some kind of vision which they did not have last year...even if it's as basic as "we are bringing back the '90s and everything you loved about the X-Men back then," that beats the shit out of "okay they are going extinct AGAIN and uh they can't live on Earth anymore because of the cloud except uh when they can in some books and oh I guess Storm is running a school but not really, oh plus a Magneto book because we know you guys like Magneto and you liked X-Force right except we don't know what to do with this book, please buy our Inhumans titles you will like them better anyway, just go with it"
-did I mention the X-Men aren't living under the threat of extinction in this line? For the first time since House of M? That is longer than some people here have been comic fans. That was insane and they were never going to bring back what's great about the X-Men until they buried that shit.
-they are reaching for Rebirth. It may not be a noble creative endeavor, but it is a wise one. It's working for DC.

Comic fans are constantly oscillating between wanting something new, wanting to push forward, and wanting something comfortable and familiar, themes and stories that remind them of their favorite stories or recall times which have become legend, from before they were even reading. Right now Peter Parker is a whizbang CEO with unlimited resources, Parker luck a thing of the past, but someday he will find himself broke and busted in a crappy apartment because these ropes will only stretch so far before the fans demand they snap back.

Check out what they're saying in this paragraph.

The same stuff that made these stories and characters we love so much stand out time and time again. Crazy cool adventures. Awesome super powers. Groundbreaking science fiction and heartbreaking romance. And the element of surprise. When I was first introduced to the X-Men as a reader back in the [Chris] Claremont/[John] Byrne days I was always on the edge of my seat. I want readers to feel like they are on that same emotional roller coaster that made me come back month after month. I want to tap into that same creative energy that had us feeling what the characters were feeling, rooting for your heroes and cheering them on during battles where you thought they had no chance. And those quiet moments that made you smile because they were so real and relatable. I can’t tell you how excited I am about this line and the stories we’re going to be telling.

It's not militant mutants struggling not to be wiped out, or Morrison's beautiful weirdness. This is it. This is the comfy couch for X-Men fans, and it is clearly past time to go back there. And there are plenty of interesting stories to be told within the confines of that environment. Someday it will be time to get off the couch and do something different. But they need a solid foundation from which to do that, and it doesn't exist right now.

Let's play some softball games. Let's go back to school. Let's fight the Juggernaut and the Marauders and be super heroes again. It's time. As an X-Men fan who came up in the '90s, my caution flew out the window reading that interview. They could fuck it up! Sure they could. But I believe in what they're doing. Be pessimistic or cynical or unhappy if you want, but I choose to be excited.

Ross61

Some DC news:

Alvaro Martinez (Detective Comics/Batman Eternal/B&R Eternal) signed an exclusive contract with DC.
Preview image:
DTC_943_14_15.jpg

WONDER WOMAN 75TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL:
Full List Of Creators:
Liam Sharp
Rafael Scavone and Rafael Albuquerque
Brenden Fletcher and Karl Kerschl
Fabio Moon
Hope Larson and Ramon Bachs
Renae De Liz and Ray Dillon
Jill Thompson
Annie Wu
Yanick Paquette and Nathan Fairbairn
Sebastian Fumara
Claire Roe and Jordie Bellaire
Marcio Takara and Marcelo Maiolo
Phil Jimenez and Romulo Fajardo Jr
Brian Bolland
Marguerite Bennett and Marguerite Sauvage
Jenny Frison
Gail Simone and Colleen Doran
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/exclusi...an-75th-anniversary-story#qleDSp0xOodXRiBT.99

Lynda Carter and Gal Gadot accepting the UN Honorary Ambassador designation for WW:
5di37hdafwsx.jpg

New Batwoman interview with Marguerite Bennet: http://www.cbr.com/interview-marguerite-bennett-explores-batwomans-lost-years-in-new-solo-series/

Doctor Fate #17 preview:
doctor-fate-rallies-freedom-tower-plaza-exclusive--244612

Flash #9 preview(Wally meets Wally): http://13thdimension.com/exclusive-preview-the-flash-9/

Deathstroke #5 preview:
31670-ravager-takes-on-batman-in-deathstroke-5.html

mreddie

Wonder how both sides will live in peace, I doubt one side is gonna win the war so I assume the young heroes will help bridge the fuck up.

Sandfox

Fair to wait on creative and rosters, certainly. Not fair to say this is no different when the philosophy expressed in the announcement interview makes it abundantly clear that:

-they know their fans are unhappy and they want them to be happy. They want this to be a premiere line again. Four team books and three solo books is nothing to sneeze at. Coming off a major event, too. This is a much bigger push.
-they have some kind of vision which they did not have last year...even if it's as basic as "we are bringing back the '90s and everything you loved about the X-Men back then," that beats the shit out of "okay they are going extinct AGAIN and uh they can't live on Earth anymore because of the cloud except uh when they can in some books and oh I guess Storm is running a school but not really, oh plus a Magneto book because we know you guys like Magneto and you liked X-Force right except we don't know what to do with this book, please buy our Inhumans titles you will like them better anyway, just go with it"
-did I mention the X-Men aren't living under the threat of extinction in this line? For the first time since House of M? That is longer than some people here have been comic fans. That was insane and they were never going to bring back what's great about the X-Men until they buried that shit.
-they are reaching for Rebirth. It may not be a noble creative endeavor, but it is a wise one. It's working for DC.

Comic fans are constantly oscillating between wanting something new, wanting to push forward, and wanting something comfortable and familiar, themes and stories that remind them of their favorite stories or recall times which have become legend, from before they were even reading. Right now Peter Parker is a whizbang CEO with unlimited resources, Parker luck a thing of the past, but someday he will find himself broke and busted in a crappy apartment because these ropes will only stretch so far before the fans demand they snap back.

Check out what they're saying in this paragraph.

It's not militant mutants struggling not to be wiped out, or Morrison's beautiful weirdness. This is it. This is the comfy couch for X-Men fans, and it is clearly past time to go back there. And there are plenty of interesting stories to be told within the confines of that environment. Someday it will be time to get off the couch and do something different. But they need a solid foundation from which to do that, and it doesn't exist right now.

Let's play some softball games. Let's go back to school. Let's fight the Juggernaut and the Marauders and be super heroes again. It's time. As an X-Men fan who came up in the '90s, my caution flew out the window reading that interview. They could fuck it up! Sure they could. But I believe in what they're doing. Be pessimistic or cynical or unhappy if you want, but I choose to be excited.

One thing I'm happy about is the school coming back into focus.

Why because Marvel TV is helping Legion and Inhumans got pushed back to 20XX?

Yeah, plus this huge push. If OML and ANW stick around that's nine X-books on shelves (at least until they cancel three or four of them). The Inhumans push is not working. All those books and they say the X-Men will be treated as proper super heroes in ResX. Of course they're going to win and they're going to make it look good, too.

mreddie

Yeah, plus this huge push. If OML and ANW stick around that's nine X-books on shelves (at least until they cancel three or four of them). The Inhumans push is not working. All those books and they say the X-Men will be treated as proper super heroes in ResX. Of course they're going to win and they're going to make it look good, too.

LOL Watch, the moment Inhumans start Phase 4, we're right back to INHUMAN REIGNS

bengraven

God DC books look so fucking good. Art-wise and with powerful moments. I don't know why I don't read them and instead stick with "what I can get" with current Marvel.

God DC books look so fucking good. Art-wise and with powerful moments. I don't know why I don't read them and instead stick with "what I can get" with current Marvel.

You'll get tired of paying $6-$9 per month for every DC book you read, trust me. This double/triple-shipping thing they're doing now sounds good at first, but it gets expensive fast.

Because aside from Wonder Woman, Batman and Arrow, they all trash.

?

Superman, the Young Animal stuff, Gotham Academy, Trinity, Future Quest, etc. all have really good art.

I don't think art is Marvel's problem to begin with though. They have some great artists still.

mreddie

Supes is fantastic tho.

And Zatanna doesn't have a book...?

She would have one BUT STUPID DC keeps shoving her to Dark.

?

Superman, the Young Animal stuff, Gotham Academy, Trinity, Future Quest, etc. all have really good art.

I don't think art is Marvel's problem to begin with though. They have some great artists still.

Story wise, art wise, they are stacked with talent.

Also Young Animal is kinda being overhyped in my eyes, Shade and Eye has been meh but Doom Patrol continues to be good. GA and Tri are tradewaits and aside from Flintstones which I sadly keep forgetting, I haven't checked out the rest of the HB/DC books which sucks because I really want to read Quest.

Ross61

I mean, it's obvious that
both New 52 Superman and Louis
fit into the larger Rebirth mystery. Plus like Lana enough and her supporting cast even more so I'm sticking with it.

Scalped - Vol. 7 - Rez Blues
[4/5]: Not a lot to say since not much happened. A far slower volume then I would have liked. The story with the couple was nice but ultimately doesn't seem to be feeding into the larger narrative, which, along with Shunkas side story, ultimately felt a bit misplaced. Vol. 6 was crazy so I expected some slow down, but the slow down combined with stories that don't really tie back into the Rez in a meaningful way, it really grinded the pacing of this volume early on into a halt. Luckily there were some great character moments later on as the story refocused to really put the pace back on track.

The Dino and Carol conversation was probably my highlight, and Carols decision definitely threw me for a loop but seems pretty in line with her character given what's happened to her.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap, my dudes. PSVR is legit. I wasn't really sold until my Move controllers charged but playing Batman VR with somewhat realistic hand controls was some next level Minority Report shit.

I'm so excited to see what they do with this in the future, but I am immediately sold.

I mean, it's midnight but I'm making some friends come over right now to check it out.

I mean, put on some of that critical thinking on the X-Men that Morrison had, not "just put leather jackets on everyone", though, obviously, that would be a plus. Just, don't do the 90s again. That's a vein that's completely fucking tapped out.

Marvel, read what this man is writing. AND THEN DO THE EXACT FUCKING OPPOSITE.

Well, I finished the first part of Gotham Academy, and I don't think I'll be continuing on with it. It was good enough for the first 6 issues, but then the Damian fillery thing happened, and then it all went off the rails and got sloppy and felt like it was missing a few issues. Like, there's a number of plot points that felt like they just kind of existed all of the sudden, and it really didn't feel like it was coming together in the slightest, which it really needed to do. And then it went and ended on five issues in a row of pure, full-on assorted filler anthology drop, which is just... ugh.

So yeah, this series turned out to not be what I would've wanted from it at all, and I'm actually pretty darn disappointed in it.

But it really showcases Gerard Way's stellar writing chops and...hell, I can't. Bad comics are bad. I should know, I read All New Hawkeye.

X-Men Creative teams announced!

X-Men Blue: Grant Morrison & Igor Kordey
X-Men Gold: Chuck Austin & Rob Liefeld
Generation X: Scott Lobdell & Brett Booth

Everything else will be written by Bendis and drawn by either Greg Land or Huberto Ramos.

im kidding. obviously

ElNarez

Banned
Marvel, read what this man is writing. AND THEN DO THE EXACT FUCKING OPPOSITE.

why the fuck would anyone want the 90s back when there is NO GODDAMN WAY you can do a sequence of panels that is better than this

86CXynK.jpg

like, trying to beat Jim Lee's X-Men is a losing proposition, so, just try something else, for a change

Interview for the new X-books: http://marvel.com/news/comics/26906/x-men_primary_colors

I'm am so happy right now.
Wow

Holy shit

Wow
Dream X Team go.

Emma
Magik
Kitty
Cookoos
Tempus
Young Jean
X-23
Triage if drawn by Bachalo.
I'm going to make two teams: a dream team, and a team that I really think would make a really good "fresh start" kind of book. Something refreshing and new. Limiting it to 4-7, since I personally feel that's the real sweet spot for a team roster size.
Dream team:
Emma Frost
Cyclops
Rogue
Nightcrawler
Colossus
Armor
Storm

Now for my other team:

Havok
Rachel Grey
Hope Summers
Armor
X-23/Wolverine
Warpath

Wait, wait.... if they're going all-in on X-books now, can we please kill off the Inhumans? They're basically low-budget X-men.
Keep them. They have potential, someone just needs to fucking use it.
Lemire is amazing (Bloodshot Reborn, Black Hammer), he just sucks with X-Men
He needs a more focused team. He's handling way too big of a cast considering his writing style. Look at this cast and tell me it isn't too much:
Storm
Colossus
Nightcrawler
Young Jean
Old Man Logan
Forge
Magik
Adult Iceman
Anole
Glob
Ernst
No-Girl
Cerebra (if that even counts)

That's too big of a cast in my opinion. Oh, and Sunfire was in there for all of two issues and bopped off.
Either Joss Whedon actually came back

or Scot Lobdell ol washed ass came back
Lobdell's only coming around if he can bring Red Hood with him, and I doubt Whedon's coming back and if he does his team is no doubt having Kitty Pryde back on it.
Rogue told Cyclops fuck you nigga this my squad and I thought this bout to be the team for a minute

3788345-3136535838-X-men.jpg

then Messiah Complex happened like a month later and it was over
To be fair, why the hell would anyone trust Sabertooth? Especially when he has THAT look on his face? Like "I'm gonna murder the fuck out of everyone on here." Also I actually have the whole Hecatomb arc in single issues. It's when I tried to get back into comics. It was dope as hell. And Messiah CompleX was pretty awesome though.
Pass. 90's please!
How about we skip the 90's and just bring Blink back?
What if soule gets one book and lemire the other since they are both on death of x.
I'd be fine with that. I like both of them as writers.
From what I've heard about it Superman seems like a book written for people with kids. Or at the very least people who like kids.
It's a good family book. If that isn't your thing, then don't bother. But it's totally my thing.

Scalped - Vol. 7 - Rez Blues
[4/5]: Not a lot to say since not much happened. A far slower volume then I would have liked. The story with the couple was nice but ultimately doesn't seem to be feeding into the larger narrative, which, along with Shunkas side story, ultimately felt a bit misplaced.

haha this might be one of my favourite issues of the entire series XD I totally get at it coming at totally the wrong time for you though, when you're so amped on the core narrative. I just thought was kind of beautiful and very spot on. It gave me the feels. I kind of remember feeling the same about the Shunka story though. I guess it just becomes more difficult for the writer and even the reader to an extent, as the main narrative ramps up to still have the patience to have these kind of issues when you really want to get to *the good stuff*. It's all another facet of what he's exploring with the larger themes, or building characters so you can be invested in them later with Shunka.

From what I've heard about it Superman seems like a book written for people with kids. Or at the very least people who like kids.

While you don't need to have a kid to be interested in reading about stories with family themes (hey, even once you're a father, or mother, you still find yourself thinking or relating to the kid aspect of a story, as much as the adult), it's definitely a huge aspect in what's drawing me towards picking up this book in trade., the fact I have a kid here myself. Just being a well reviewed book from a writer that I've liked before is compelling enough to give it a swing though.

This is a really nice interview. The way she just GUSHES about the character, you know you're onto a winner here. She seems super inspired and has a strong strong idea of that her take is going to be, which is half the battle on the writing end. Really looking forward to this book.

Donnie, isn't a Scalped TV show on the way?

Yea, that was announced at least man. Apparently for WGN America? As a UK'er, I have no familiarity of the channel. Google says they do Salem? I think the last news was March/April-ish time about a pilot being ordered. Need to hunt and see if there's been any actual movement. I have no idea the likelihood of it actually making it to TV.

EDIT: Okay ,so this was the last thing I remember: Clicky. Someone who worked on Banshee working on it, again, I have no familiarity there. The last update I spotted Aaron giving on twitter was in May, confirming a pilot had been ordered.

Looking at buying digital issues on comixology feels so wrong

TheFlow

Banned

last time Marvel broke up the x-men into different team books was after schism and that was a awesome time. lot of good runs. also got uncanny x-force

List of teams after schism

Cyclops's team

Uncanny X-Men features Cyclops, Colossus, Danger, Emma Frost, Magik, Magneto, Namor, Storm, and Hope Summers.
X-Men features Storm, Psylocke, Colossus, Domino, Jubilee, and Warpath.
New Mutants features Danielle Moonstar, Cypher, Magma, Sunspot, Warlock, and X-Man.
Generation Hope features Hope, No-Girl,[2] Pixie, Primal, Sebastian Shaw, Transonic, Velocidad, and Zero.
Other characters remaining with Cyclops include Doctor Nemesis, Kavita Rao, Box, Dazzler, Boom-Boom, Lifeguard, Prodigy, Dust, Loa, Surge, Crosta, and the Stepford Cuckoos.
Wolverine's team

Wolverine and the X-Men features Wolverine, Beast, Husk, Iceman, Kid Omega, Oya, Shadowcat and Lockheed.
X-Men: Legacy features Rogue, Cannonball, Frenzy, Gambit, Husk, Iceman, and Marvel Girl.
Astonishing X-Men features Gambit, Iceman, Karma, Northstar, Cecilia Reyes, and Warbird
Uncanny X-Force features Wolverine, Deadpool, Fantomex, Archangel, and Psylocke.
X-Factor features Jamie Madrox, Banshee, Havok, Longshot, M, Layla Miller, Polaris, Rictor, Shatterstar, Strong Guy, and Wolfsbane.
Other characters at Wolverine's school include Ariel, Armor, Anole, Blindfold, Bling!, Blink, Broo, Chamber, Cipher, Doop, Ernst, Face,[3] Gentle, Glob Herman, Graymalkin, Hellion, Indra, Kid Gladiator, Match, Mercury, Rockslide, Toad, Trance, Krakoa, Angel and Genesis.

marvel is on some "make america great again" shit with those x-men announcements

c'mon man, it's 2016

forward, not back

put some morrison on that shit, don't make that garish nonsense

It's funny you say that because with clinton almost guaranteed to win I think it's a lock that Wilson writes one team book and Bennet the other. Thompson on Generation X.

Top Bottom