• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

I kind of fell out of comics when New 52 hit a rut, but Rebirth has been bringing back the old feels. I'm enjoying Justice League, which led me to start reading Green Lanterns. Jessica Cruz is such a perfect character to show what's special about the Lanterns, and the central notion of overcoming fear. Love her to death, she might already be my favourite Lantern. Blue Beetle makes me super happy for bringing my favourite character, Ted Kord, firmly back into continuity. Batman has been decent too. And really hyped that the Gerard Way Doom Patrol is finally happening.

What else has been good from the line?

I kind of fell out of comics when New 52 hit a rut, but Rebirth has been bringing back the old feels. I'm enjoying Justice League, which led me to start reading Green Lanterns. Jessica Cruz is such a perfect character to show what's special about the Lanterns, and the central notion of overcoming fear. Love her to death, she might already be my favourite Lantern. Blue Beetle makes me super happy for bringing my favourite character, Ted Kord, firmly back into continuity. Batman has been decent too. And really hyped that the Gerard Way Doom Patrol is finally happening.

Detective Comics and Wonder Woman have been the best books out of what I've read.

shingi70

Banned

Detective, Superman, new-superman, Aquaman, Green Arrow.

No, there the Cleveland C's

I see no mention of Indians...except when FOX shows it.

Chief Wahoo is literally on their hats. They've been wearing him all postseason, which is particularly disturbing given their owner said he was to be phased out.

What does a teams logo have to do with the talent on the field?

Why should I support an organization willingly marketing themselves with a racist caricature? There onus is on them to, you know, not do racist shit. This isn't difficult.

I was going to buy comics this week, but then Freeza made it that I had to buy Titanfall 2, so bought a few novels alongside to fill out my order on amazon. Started buying physical novels for some reason, after years of using my kindle. I know some of you guys are all about the digital life with your comics, but somehow things I own digitally seem to occupy a lower rung in my mind, I lose interest or forgot about them more easily. Anyway, how does this relate to comics? It doesn't really, outside of the fact that hardback novels take SO much shelf space compared to comic book trades haha. I may need to invest in a new bookcase if I keep at this.

kingbooksdvb16.jpg

Also, I'm not sure what I'm going to read in November, comicwise. No new things (although I do have the third Thor OHC sitting waiting to be read and those TMNT trades). I'm thinking of some sort of reread. Maybe Y the last man, since Farside is working his way through it. I have an urge towards Locke & Key and Sweet Tooth too.

If you're into Doom Patrol you should definitely try out Shade, the Changing Girl along with Cave Carson. They had great first issues and also give off a modern Vertigo feeling. Really fresh stuff coming out of the Young Animal line.

Beyond them, Wonder Woman, Detective Comics, and Superman are good. I fell behind on Green Arrow but that was also good too (not sure if it stayed that good). Flintstones is also one of their best books each month and worth checking out.

Owzers

Digital comics have some great color pop and creases don't exist, whereas digital books are just really bright white pages. I much prefer reading a physical book in all its bookish glory. Now, let's get to the next game of thrones book okay?

Black Panther #5: Hillary Clinton level optics.

I know some of you guys are all about the digital life with your comics, but somehow things I own digitally seem to occupy a lower rung in my mind, I lose interest or forgot about them more easily.

I do this all the time with digital trades. I read all the physical books I buy, but there's a lot on Comixology I bought on sale and still need to read. I'm fine with singles though.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Chief Wahoo is literally on their hats. They've been wearing him all postseason, which is particularly disturbing given their owner said he was to be phased out.

Why should I support an organization willingly marketing themselves with a racist caricature? There onus is on them to, you know, not do racist shit. This isn't difficult.

As a life-long Cleveland fan, I agree with everything you are saying... and the phase out is going to happen over the next few years. Change the name, too.

I was going to buy comics this week, but then Freeza made it that I had to buy Titanfall 2
What platform did you get TF2 on? I'm on PS4 but Amazon screwed up my shipping (or UPS) and it's not showing up until Monday :( I at least got another free month of Amazon prime out of it.

Also I do think there's something cool reading the larger sized print Hard back book from time to time. Still will prefer my kindle but it's nice to do a throwback from time to time.

Zombine

Banned
How do you...reject...a commission...like...what???

I've gotten a commission or two that I was particularly thrilled about, but to outright reject one? Seriously? Unless it's so absolutely off the mark usually you just be glad that they opened their list for you and -maybe- list it as for sale/trade on comicartfans.

I would be thrilled if Samnee opened his list for me like that. I want him to draw me the Rocketeer so bad.

I do this all the time with digital trades. I read all the physical books I buy, but there's a lot on Comixology I bought on sale and still need to read. I'm fine with singles though.

Yea, I don't know what it is, I have similar issues with digital games too tbh. It's nothing aobut quality like Monkey mentioned, although I realise with comics oppose to novels, there is an inherent benefit there digitally, it's just this weird mindshare thing. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

What platform did you get TF2 on? I'm on PS4 but Amazon screwed up my shipping (or UPS) and it's not showing up until Monday :( I at least got another free month of Amazon prime out of it.

Also I do think there's something cool reading the larger sized print Hard back book from time to time. Still will prefer my kindle but it's nice to do a throwback from time to time.

I went with xbox man. I know the PS4 will likely have the larger playerbase but I'm enjoying my xbox right now, I've kind of thrown logic out the window what format I buy stuff for and when, I just follow my gut these days unless there's some egregious issue with one or the other. That sucks your copy is still in the wind but at least you let the servers level out over the weekend and so on. I don't plan on playing the multi until I finish the story and I'm sure there will be others who go with that too, so you won't miss too much time.

That's the thing too ,I absolutely love my kindle (it's the original paperwhite I think), so I don't really know what got me thinking about buying a physical book again but when the fireman came and it's this nice big HC, I was like okay, this could become a thing, and I already ordered two more lol. I think I would still stick with the kindle over a paperback though, as a compromise.

Oh, and cheers Lore, I spotted your heads up about the dark horse sale last night but I was on a friends computer and couldn't get logged in to reply :)

I would definitely recommend trying out Baltimore or Harrow County at those prices if folks are interested at all. HBiH is amazing but obviously not a great jump on point. That Abe book is very self contained and weird too, I liked it. It becomes very relevant to the later Abe ongoing later too.

kmfdmpig

Batman
Tec
ASB
Supes
Action
Super Girl
Suicide Squad
Green Arrow
Wonder Woman
Teen Titans
Deathstroke
Trinity
Doom Patrol
Shade

Few image titles my wife and I read like Saga.

I would have probably kept Aquaman and Nightwing over Action, Teen Titans or Suicide Squad, but otherwise that's almost exactly how I would trim my DC list.

I would love a google doc/similar type thing stickied in the OT post where we each fill in what we follow both monthly and by trade for quick referencing. Obviously you get to know people as they post, but it'd be handy for context, and just generally being nosey.

I would have probably kept Aquaman and Nightwing over Action, Teen Titans or Suicide Squad, but otherwise that's almost exactly how I would trim my DC list.

I'm kinda over reading about the power struggle between the land and sea with Aquaman. I'm tired of reading about how Aquaman fits in with the rest of the Superheroes. Nightwing was good but those other books I enjoy more.

What Rebirth has done for me is make me a huge Superman fan. Thoroughly enjoy the all the Super storylines right now.

Woah :( Will you at least get the trades for them? Some good stuff there.
Who knows. Maybe.

Have you tried dcbs.com. This was how I was able to afford comics this month.

I have researched DCBS and I wouldn't want to wait. Part of the experience of reading comics is following along with everyone else.

Zombine

Banned
We all know gravity keeps girls from getting pregnant.

Congrats to Korrupt tho. I hope your kid's midichlorian count is through the roof.

mreddie

Suprised to see Midnighter on there and Outcast. I thought you loved that?

Told you all I dropped some books I'm enjoying. Trinity will get dropped the moment it even smells like its dwelling into the mediocracy Manapul is known for for his writing. So far, 2 issues have been thoroughly enjoyable and I adore his art.

Man, I like Asuka but she has to stop dancing to her theme music even when it's not playing.

You leave senpai alone.

I saw this earlier in work and absolutely freaked out. I am excited for that recolour.

I was going to buy comics this week, but then Freeza made it that I had to buy Titanfall 2, so bought a few novels alongside to fill out my order on amazon. Started buying physical novels for some reason, after years of using my kindle. I know some of you guys are all about the digital life with your comics, but somehow things I own digitally seem to occupy a lower rung in my mind, I lose interest or forgot about them more easily. Anyway, how does this relate to comics? It doesn't really, outside of the fact that hardback novels take SO much shelf space compared to comic book trades haha. I may need to invest in a new bookcase if I keep at this.

These days, I mainly like Kindle because I do my reading outside the house, and nobody can tell what you're reading, so I can read my trash in peace.

If I really like a book then I'll buy a physical copy. I would like to get a really nice edition of The Once & Future King at some point since it's my favourite book and my battered paperback has seen better days.

I would be thrilled if Samnee opened his list for me like that. I want him to draw me the Rocketeer so bad.

Oh man. OH MAN. I want to see that happen.

kmfdmpig

I'm kinda over reading about the power struggle between the land and sea with Aquaman. I'm tired of reading about how Aquaman fits in with the rest of the Superheroes. Nightwing was good but those other books I enjoy more.

What Rebirth has done for me is make me a huge Superman fan. Thoroughly enjoy the all the Super storylines right now.

Who knows. Maybe.

I have researched DCBS and I wouldn't want to wait. Part of the experience of reading comics is following along with everyone else.

Yes. Superman is now one of my favorites along with Green Arrow and Detective. It took me a few issues to get there (the state fair one, to be precise), as the first arc didn't do it for me, but since then it's been great.

My fondness for that title has made me more interested in Trinity, New Super-Man, and even Action Comics, which is the weakest of them, I think.

who's to say it still is? Maybe during all that time residing in Sora's heart, Ven's heart must have healed and now it's up to Sora and co. to find Aqua and fix Ventus.

If only it were so easy for Terra :(
It is busted until they can get Sora to him and fix it, which I'm betting won't happen until near the end of the game. The "Seven Lights" won't all become active at once until the end of the game. I'm guessing there'll be no more than four playable characters in the game. Sora, Riku, and Aqua for sure. My guess is that the start of the game will have Sora coming back from his exam, with Axel and Kairi training under Yen Sid and Riku and Mickey are running around putting out fires and looking for Aqua.
You guys think we will ever see Harley appear in a JL team? Even something like JLA?
Yes.

Oh you like Green Lanterns? Well shit then everything can be recommended. All the books I'm pulling, and therefore enjoy:

Detective Comics
Green Arrow
Superman
Supergirl
Titans
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey
Nightwing (I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this one)
Midnighter and Apollo
Teen Titans
Shade the Changing Girl
Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye

Owzers

Before Trump pull list:

Black Panther
Black Science
Doom Patrol
East of West
Frontier
Gwenpool
Invincible
Paper Girls
Saga
Walking Dead
Wonder Woman

trade waiting:
Deadly Class, now with 90% less bestiality
A lot of Image vol 1s that i haven't read or bought vol 2 of

MU waiting most Marvel books instead of trades
DC books were a mistake
Valiant doesn't exist

I tend to write down books on a list that i'm interested in and then buy vol 1 of the trade or wait for digital sales, like Morrison's Klaus i scooped up all 7 issues during the cmx sale.

Mindwipe

It's pretty much the opposite for me. I'm always so busy that I never get around to reading paper trades. Whereas I have my tablet with me and so any moment I'm traveling I can start reading CMX books.

Top Bottom