• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Thanks for the replies. Okay. I'm gonna use my extra 2% at ISt to buy this series. TP, Deluxe HC, or Absolute?

I vouch for the deluxe HCs personally, having them here. Not a fan of the absolute format but that's just preference at that point. If you love big fuck off books go absolute. I had the vol 1 paperback ages ago and meh.

Zombine

Banned
Thanks for the replies. Okay. I'm gonna use my extra 2% at ISt to buy this series. TP, Deluxe HC, or Absolute?

Tough call. It's worth owning Absolute versions of that story but there's still one more to go and the release are quarterly or something like that.

not going to lie I chuckled when I read it, but yea aquaman jokes are not only old but go against what they are trying to with the character since 2012.

especially when he is a heavy hitter.

Longer than that even. 90s Arthur had a fucking spear for a hand and a GD beard.

Ross61

Is Aquaman the easiest joke in comics?

I was just reading New Super-Man #3 and there's yet another lame Aquaman joke stuffed in there. It isn't totally out of place or anything but that fruit is so low it's dragging on the ground. So bizarre to me that Aquaman's book has been serious as fuck or constantly trying to be taken seriously for about as long as I can remember. But DC writers can't help themselves...need an easy joke? Kick ol' Arthur in the junk. Again. And again and again and again. I don't get it.

Ha ha he lives underwater and talks to fish. So funny, much jokes. You think Namor would tolerate this shit? Nah.

Superfriends was thirty fucking years ago DC.

I mean, it's not like they're the only ones still making a joke. And plus, it's just New Super-Man, this whole arc is kinda wonky. I mean there are Chinese imitations of Batman and Wonder Woman.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I vouch for the deluxe HCs personally, having them here. Not a fan of the absolute format but that's just preference at that point. If you love big fuck off books go absolute. I had the vol 1 paperback ages ago and meh.

Nah, don't really care about the absolutes unless there was something really special about em. I did get The Walking Dead #1 Omnibus HC just to check it out, but I'll probably buy the regular or after.

Oh, another yea/nay: Tokyo Ghost?

Tough call. It's worth owning Absolute versions of that story but there's still one more to go and the release are quarterly or something like that.

Why are they worth it?

Nah, don't really care about the absolutes unless there was something really special about em. I did get The Walking Dead #1 Omnibus HC just to check it out, but I'll probably buy the regular or after.

You'll probably get more mixed responses on that one but I enjoyed it a lot.

Why are they worth it?

I've only read vol.1 of Tokyo ghost but eh. I didn't dislike it but nothing about it stuck with me like deadly class, or even low. It's fine. Imo the art is the draw.

Theyre just special because the size and the nice cover/trade dress. I liked the sandman book I had as this exquisite tome, but it was a pain to sit chill and read.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
You'll probably get more mixed responses on that one but I enjoyed it a lot.

It looks great. Cheap at IST, too, so I may just bite. Ugh... my total IST bill this month is going to be divorce-inducing.

The annoyance factor of those large editions is a concern... I just wanted to check one out.

Sanjuro

Does the Spider-Man series maintain quality going forward? I read the first five issues without ever being introduced to Miles and dig the storytelling.

tim1138

Haha I KNEW that would be the name under the spoiler tag. I just finished rereading the third omnibus today and
while losing the artificial body from the tropical island is really the start of his turn on page, they do establish when sharing death stories, Johann is an arse, even before the incident that claimed his body.
. A real shitheel. If you haven't yet, you should track down sledgehammer 44 now!

I LOVE the long death, and the
the flashback stuff to the first men.
Harren pushes all my buttons.

!!!BPRD SPOILERS!!!

The only time Johann is ever tolerable to me is when Roger is alive, they have an interesting relationship. Once Roger goes kaput, then Johann pretty much immediately becomes awful. I think his official turn to shit heel status is when he gets the artificial body and becomes absolutely intolerable. And of course his obsession with creating a new body allows Black Flame to be reborn...
And he totally did Enos dirty, putting him in a position to be at risk and then taking over his corpse like it was no big deal.
I hope he gets trapped in the Sledgehammer forever or it gets incinerated and he goes with it.

!!!BPRD SPOILERS!!!

Howards is the best dude, I'd totally buy a spin off about his adventures.

Does the Spider-Man series maintain quality going forward? I read the first five issues without ever being introduced to Miles and dig the storytelling.

The Civil War tie-ins have been surprisingly solid so far. Bendis has actually done a pretty good job of integrating the event.

!!!BPRD SPOILERS!!!

Howards is the best dude, I'd totally buy a spin off about his adventures.

I completely agree haha
the little epilogue involving him saying goodbye to roger is beautiful. I thought for awhile they would actually link in his distress over Roger to his behaviour...but no. He's just a dick

I really love everything to do with Howards and all that mythology. I also just love
the history of that room in Chicago, the sword. I am faaairly sure you have saw all the stuff to do with that room but I will refrain, just in case.
When you have all this pieces of the puzzle though, it's so satisfying, a real lightbulb moment. I love when they do that to you.

Boogiepop

Huh. So today's IST update taught me that someone (Drawn & Quarterly, who I can't say I'm familiar with) is actually bringing over Gegege no Kitaro, which is cool to see something hella old school like that come over. But... it looks like it's "selected chapters" or some such, which is just a thing I can't stand. If I want something, I want all of it, not a "best of"! Oh well, I guess that series is still on a "if I want it, I'll import it" for me, and it's still a net good thing to actually see such things come over in some form.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
It's one of the most compelling stories of all time and the art is absolutely gorgeous in places. Absolutes are all about the art.

Hmm... still on the fence.

I own the first arc as singles, but I only read the first 2 issues. The characters never made me care. Considering I have no interest in reading it despite the fact that I own it, I'd say nay.

Disappointing... as I have heard good things.

No lie, I enjoyed the first ep. of Luke Cage more then anything in the entirety of Jessica Jones.

Wow, that was some great stuff. And the music.

tim1138

I completely agree haha
the little epilogue involving him saying goodbye to roger is beautiful. I thought for awhile they would actually link in his distress over Roger to his behaviour...but no. He's just a dick

Just a totally selfish asshole. Fuck.That.Guy

Donniewahlberg said:
I really love everything to do with Howards and all that mythology. I also just love
the history of that room in Chicago, the sword. I am faaairly sure you have saw all the stuff to do with that room but I will refrain, just in case.
When you have all this pieces of the puzzle though, it's so satisfying, a real lightbulb moment. I love when they do that to you.

Oh yeah, the room is cool. Also cool, when I couldn't remember Howards' name all I had to do was Google "BPRD sword guy", hah. Just everything about Howard is awesome. They did such a great job making the BPRD agents more than just Nameless grunts.

No lie, I enjoyed the first ep. of Luke Cage more then anything in the entirety of Jessica Jones.

Wow, that was some great stuff. And the music.

You really will do anything to put Scalped off won't you man.

Haha I kid, I really liked that first episode a whole lot.

Oh yeah, the room is cool. Also cool, when I couldn't remember Howards' name all I had to do was Google "BPRD sword guy", hah. Just everything about Howard is awesome. They did such a great job making the BPRD agents more than just Nameless grunts.

Arcudi really is just a fantastic writer. He can do it all. And like you say he can make new characters no worries. I mean,
he kills roger, daimio and writes Abe out. Even Liz was gone for awhile, and he inherited the concept Sans hellboy
and its literally no issue. This is the guy marvel wishes they could get to fix the X-Men. In fact, damn, you really need to read Abe now, nvm sledgehammer! Abe is HUGE.

You really will do anything to put Scalped off won't you man.

Haha I kid, I really liked that first episode a whole lot.

Haha, it's not like that. Ever since I got back from vacation, comic time has been constrained. Especially with all the game releases.

I actually started the new volume, something comes up, put it down and restart it when I pick it up again because I'm only like a few pages in. It's happened like 3-4 times now lol, which has made me determined to read it when I actually get a block of time.

Luckily, the post-vacation schedule insanity should be ending soon. I'm looking forward to binging a ton of comics.

Sanjuro

The tie-ins are easily the best part of the event. The main story leaves much to be desired.

The event itself is nothing to write home about, but so far I've found the tie-ins in the Spider-Man comic itself pretty solid.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

honestly if you are reading a bunch of marvel books you could actually skip the main event book and be fine.

Thanks.

That's actually the only Marvel book I've read in a while.

Owzers

How did American Alien turn out? The Fade Out gets tons of praise here and i want to read it but i never enjoy these kinds of Brubaker books as much as people here because of the genre.

I'm going all in tomorrow. $50 PSN card, 62 loot boxes.

At least they let you buy the new skins with credits this time.

I'm event-relieved knowing i won't be denied my Witch Mercy main, but i started off with a widowmaker spray in my free box :/

TheFlow

Banned
trying to finish all of thor God of thunder

#12 was one hell of an issue, and should be shown to any who dislikes thor. Also it is the first appearance of Cancer Jane Foster

Quite liking the look of one of Oni Press' new books out soon, Motro by Ulises Farinas.

MOTRO-1-4x6-RETAIL-COVER-SOLICIT-WEB.jpg

Nice interview at comicosity: http://www.comicosity.com/interview-farinas-freitas-unleash-motro/

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just finished the Big Trouble in Little China comic series.

I loved how at the end they go back to the events in the original film

TheFlow

Banned
Thor God of Thunder #13-14

Malekith the Accursed is fucking crazy. The end of #14 is nothing but pure goosebumps.

I am liking this arc.

5/5

Ross61

Wonder Woman #8 preview: https://www.inverse.com/article/22049-cheetah-barbara-ann-minerva-badass-origin-story-in-wonder-woman-rebirth-8
Man this looks fucking fantastic, and I've never been interested in Cheetah. Bilquis Evely's art is fucking fanatastic and a worthy successor to Nicola Scott.

Deathstroke #4 preview: http://comicsalliance.com/deathstroke-4-preview/?sf38516929=1

Man, this looking to continue what I love about this series. The dialogue is just a gem: Early impressions from critics seem to be gushing over this issue so I hope it delivers. And Joe Bennett's art looks great!

Supergirl #2 preview: http://www.avclub.com/article/father-daughter-reunion-turns-violent-supergirl-2--243945

And this looks quite interesting, finally we get to see the promised father-daughter meet up. I know it might not please some folks, but I really like Brian Ching's artwork on this series. It just fits Supergirl for me.

Top Bottom