• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

PsychBat!

Banned
Jane Thor is also on this level.

tumblr_lh08eqlTEj1qbr7ey.gif

Boogiepop

I have read 4 issues of Thor 2014, but that was before I read all of this.

I am going to read the 8 issues of Thor, then all of mighty thor tomorrow.

I basically bought the rest of whatever wasn't on marvel unlimited for a bunch of series.

hell I enjoyed those 25 issues more than vision and black panther so I think he might be.

He delivered on both the epic scale, and even on the regular interactions on Earth. Truly amazing how he has creating a masterpiece for so long.

I'd totally recommend adding Thors as well. Like, it's obviously not a perfectly tied in piece of the story and is something a bit different by design. But it's still really enjoyable and you totally shouldn't skip it.

I see Boom's been talking to Image about how they've been conning me out of my money and have been releasing the first Volumes of some of their series for 10 bucks. Gonna pick up Goldie Vance Vol. 1 and wish Cognetic Vol. 1 was also 10.

Dalek

Holy cow. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe was amazing. My daughter and I just read it for her bedtime and it must be my favorite book of the year. Absolutely incredible and highly clever. A hell of an ending too. Would make for a great movie too.

Holy cow. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe was amazing. My daughter and I just read it for her bedtime and it must be my favorite book of the year. Absolutely incredible and highly clever. A hell of an ending too. Would make for a great movie too.

Can't wait to read it. My daughter and I are gonna read it together while we head to Florida this Friday :)

Nice. I just got it in the mail today with some other stuff from IST. I can't wait to read it, but all these damn video games are getting in the way!

What's up guys. Things have been... kinda stressful for me lately which is a big part of why I left for a bit. Honestly haven't read as much as I normally do as a result.

Have read some stuff I wanted to talk about though.

I've been reading through quite a bit of Peter Milligan's Vertigo work, which has been super great. I'm still working through Shade, the Changing Man and I'm in the mid 30s right now taking it nice and slow. Still really enjoying it. The relationship stuff is all incredibly entertaining and I loved the drama that came from it. Shade himself continues to be a great protagonist.

I also read through all of Enigma which was just amazing. It's kinda hard to go into detail without spoiling it but it's just a fantastic comic that's more or less about self-discovery and I can't recommend it enough. Just a single trade-- check it out if you want something more introspective.

Per JC and frye's' recommendation, I also read Face and that was easily my favorite Milligan thing I read recently. It's just a long oneshot issue and it really impressed me. It's about a plastic surgeon and his wife staying at an island owned by a famous artist. The surgeon is tasked with performing surgery on the artist who isn't... completely normal. I had to order a copy off eBay since it's not available in any other way and it was so worth it. It's very gruesome and horrifying but it's hands down one of the best oneshots I've read. The fact that this (and the other stuff I've mentioned) isn't in some trade or collection is a damn shame.

And finally, I started Girl, which is yet another collab between Milligan and Fegredo. Frye compared it to Kill Your Boyfriend which I'm very much noticing so far. Need to read the second and third issue still. Milligan's work from Vertigo is just awesome though. He's quickly become one of my favorite writers this past month.

As far as ongoings go, haven't read much. Young Animal had an incredible start and Doom Patrol and Shade both had excellent first issues and I can't wait to see the future of this line. I can't help but feel like people overplay the "it's confusing!" argument-- I don't think they're all that obtuse even with my experience with these series previously. They're good stuff and they're worth checking out if you like superhero stuff. Very much a modern day version of early 90s Vertigo so far. They're exciting, they're fresh, and they're fun. Definitely something to watch as it's the most interesting thing to come out of either Marvel or DC in recent times.

I also read through a couple of issues of stuff I do still follow. The new Deadly Class was a solid setup issue, and Snotgirl and Lady Killer continue to be great as well. Hellboy and The BPRD 1954 also just began and I dug the first issue. I saw some of Stephen Green's art on tumblr and this man is talented. Really hoping we see more from him in the Mignolaverse after this.

I also got this last month. Probably doesn't compare to the mountain of money dropped by those who attended NYCC but I'm happy regardless. It's a sketch of Scarlet Witch from Steve Lieber. He seems like a great guy and I really enjoyed his work in what I've read by him:

Also managed to order a Megg and Mogg comic from Hanselmann before it went out of stock so I'm stoked about that. Now I just need to wait for it to show up.

Hi Tyrant!! Sorry about the stress...hope there's smoother sailing for you in the very near future.

Good point about Vertigo and YA. Those books were all like that in the 90s.

Love dat Witch.

Tbh I'll have to reread the whole thing a couple times I'm sure, as I was already forgetting some of the characters and symbolism from issues way long ago. I also wanna read BRPD as well, because I'm sure that would enhance the main Hellboy arc.

Oh dude, for sure. Especially now you're done hellboy and you've *made it*. BPRD Plague Of Frogs, Hell On Earth & the Abe Sapien :Dark & Terrible series add so much to the world, to Hellboy's journey and a lot of the themes explored in other ways/from different angles. They are also just awesome comics :)

I'd totally recommend adding Thors as well. Like, it's obviously not a perfectly tied in piece of the story and is something a bit different by design. But it's still really enjoyable and you totally shouldn't skip it.

Seconded.

Ah damn, I keep forgetting this! I have the FemThor OHC & the mighty premiere HC, but no Thors. Secret Wars just keeps going out my head, even though I really want Thors & Weirdworld.

What's up guys

Rave! I need to check out some of that Milligan stuff, I've honestly only really read his Hellblazer, and I'm not even sure if that's rated that highly in his work. Especially that Fegredo stuff, after Darkness Calls - The Fury, I could read Fegredo's storytelling all day long, incredible artist. It's not often someone comes along and potential puts down a take that rivals it's creator who is also working on the book ha.

Stephen Green looks rad. He's doing a Lobster story in the Hellboy Winter Special (out in January I think), so hopefully they were impressed with him. Right now I'm REALLY pulling for Chris Mitten to stick in there after Rise Of The Black Flame. I've followed his stuff for a long time, & he's great.

Loving the Lieber too, real good!

EDIT -

Some interesting tidbits from Brubaker's latest newsletter. He had this to say about Westworld:

As many of you know, I was a writer and Supervising Producer on the first season of HBO's Westworld, which has finally begun airing and is of course turning out to be a huge hit. People are already obsessing and analyzing every aspect. It's really awesome to see. I was very lucky to be a small part of what Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy were building with this show.

So I hope you're all watching it. The episode I co-wrote is episode four, which airs in a week and a half. I'm very proud of it, so I hope you'll check it out.

And also mentions he has another TV show thing that he's working on but is bound from speaking of. He was dropping heavyhints awhile back that there had been movement with Velvet but who knows. Incognito now has a scripter attached too. Incognito, not my favourite Brubaker book true be told, but definitely suits hollywood right now.

Damn we about to get another solid arc

]
57fc0208ade11.jpg

Luke Cage and Danny Rand go up against a former hero, Alex Wilder—formerly of RUNAWAYS—in the new “Harlem Burns” arc beginning in December’s POWER MAN & IRON FIST #10. Wilder’s time in hell has changed him, and with a mix of technology and magic he plans to depose all other crime bosses of Harlem and take the neighborhood for himself.

Is the lady under Luke Cage the councilwoman from the tv show?

What's up guys. Things have been... kinda stressful for me lately which is a big part of why I left for a bit. Honestly haven't read as much as I normally do as a result.

Hey, guys, it's Anime Rave! Did you see the nice OT that Messi and I made? You will have to fight us both inside He'll in a Cell if you want OT-making rights back.

Hope things work out for you, whatever the trouble is.

I did of course also get the last issue of Howard.

A perfect final issue and kind of a
very fitting capper to a lifetime of following the Marvel Universe lol

Zombine

Banned

It's amazing. It retreads a tiny bit from the time travel arc but it's just different enough to be amazing.

So many books today! God damn! I still haven't read all my books from last week.

All-New Wolverine

Set up issue, but I liked it. Whoever is pulling this has a lot of power to get all those planes and deal with the power and phones.

Extraordinary X-Men

This was a pretty meh issue. Not much actually happened?

So many books today! God damn! I still haven't read all my books from last week

Extraordinary X-Men

This was a pretty meh issue. Not much actually happened?

I know people said it gets better after the first arc but I think I'm out on the book. It can be one of those awkward one volumes on my shelf.

I know people said it gets better after the first arc but I think I'm out on the book. It can be one of those awkward one volumes on my shelf.

I really liked it up to around the end of the previous arc. I wonder if something changed behind the scenes or for down the road changes but it seemed like the previous arc just suddenly ended and moved on to stuff following that arc but at the same time the choices felt out of place. It's just felt kind of weird for me. It was like they suddenly had to speed up on certain plans but then you have this issue that almost nothing happens.

I really liked it up to around the end of the previous arc. I wonder if something changed behind the scenes or for down the road changes but it seemed like the previous arc just suddenly ended and moved on to stuff following that arc but at the same time the choices felt out of place. It's just felt kind of weird for me. It was like they suddenly had to speed up on certain plans but then you have this issue that almost nothing happens.

Probably the whole death of x/ x gonna resurrex it to you stuff man. I was going to carry on a little more but nothing has really stuck with me about the book. Out of that marvel stuff I tried only Strange and Vision are carrying on with Thor as my marvel reads. Vision is ending anyway. I think I'll try power man and iron fist now the first vol is out though.

Zombine

Banned
TRAVIS KIDD WE FUCKIN MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I own quite a few Travis pages. He's my favorite American Vampire character next to Pearl.)

Zombine

Banned
Just finished Anthology #2

Had some highs, had some lows. Art was great in places. The highlight was the short glimpse of
Travis grown up a bit still doing VMS work, now as a field agent and working with Pearl.
It was a split second, but I have a feeling they have more in store for that moving forward. Is it worth the $7? Probably not unless you're a huge American Vampire fan. I am one of those people so mileage will definitely vary. Don't even touch this unless you're caught up because you won't have a single clue what's going on.

3/5

TheFlow

Banned
Just finished Anthology #2

Had some highs, had some lows. Art was great in places. The highlight was the short glimpse of
Travis grown up a bit still doing VMS work, now as a field agent and working with Pearl.
It was a split second, but I have a feeling they have more in store for that moving forward. Is it worth the $7? Probably not unless you're a huge American Vampire fan. I am one of those people so mileage will definitely vary. Don't even touch this unless you're caught up because you won't have a single clue what's going on.

3/5
Glad I finished up

If Gillen announces the next Star Wars book and it's about
Aphra like most think
you are forbidden from posting a OT thread about it.

No spoiling if she lives or dies.

Top Bottom