• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Well. Bought my mid October haul. It's at various stages in the mail but it consists of:

Harrow County vol 1-3
Hellboy In Mexico
Hellboy & the BPRD 1953
BPRD Hell On Earth vol 13: End Of Days & 14: The Exorcist
Abe Sapien vol 7: The Secret Flame
Joe Golem Occult Detective vol. 1: The Rat-catcher & The Sunken Dead
And....*drum roll* Hellboy in Hell vol 2:The Death Card

Also Joe Hill's novel, The Fireman

Will probably share some pics when they arrive.

Messi

xuPAxHJ.jpg

The art in the bride is amazing, the story is...I couldn't tell you if it's something a character would do in this universe or not.

Buying today. It's already the best story in the anthology regardless of quality imo.

TheFlow

Banned
Thor: Goddess of Thunder #1

I love the way the frost Giants are drawn in this series. sooo good.

Thor: Goddess of Thunder #2

the whole siege of Roxxon is awesome. keep it coming

Thor Goddess of Thunder #3

already whipping ass better than thor

Thor Goddess of Thunder #4

I don't mind blame Thor for getting angry, considering how long he has been with the hammer. Glad it was able to accept losing it.

Thor: Goddess of Thunder #5
ughhhhhhhhhhhh ODIN why are you like this, and the God of fear is clearly
lion-king-scar_l1.jpg

Thor: Goddess of Thunder #6
Hory shit! Aggar gets a backstory and man is it brutal. This man is soo messed up. He has kept the pirates alive but
just the heads

Thor going on a wild goose chase is funny.

Thor: Goddess of Thunder #7

Malekith and Aggar are sickening. killing all those innocents. The Thor vs Destroyer fight is living up to the hype though.

Thor: God of Thunder #8

solid conclusion. Glad no one figured it out so soon.
also we got stuff like this

Overall 4/5. Thor :God of Thunder had better highs and wtf moments. I am going to read Thors first then Mighty Thor later tonight.

Just in time for the weekly releases:

Scalped - Vol. 3: Dead Mothers
[5/5]: Another excellent volume by Aaron. It's hard for me to pin down which volume has been my favorite so far because they've all been so consistently great.
Red Crow has become my new favorite character. Aaron's done so much to be make him such a sympathetic character and his reaction to the murder combined with the art went a long way in getting me to root for him. There was just a lot of great stuff in this volume. Dash breaking down. The kid dead in Nevada. Falls Down starting an investigation into the murder. It's so hard to predict where the story is going to go and that's honestly one of the best parts about this comic. It's unpredictable, it's executed so damn well and if you told me this was an adaptation of a beloved TV show, I'd believe you because that's the sort of vibes it gives off.

The one issue that keeps resurfacing for me is that the FBI agent continues to be an unlikable twat. And Aaron keeps making him even more of an unlikable character as the story progresses. And a character like that deserves a gruesome end. My issue would be if the FBI character goes scott free, which really hamper the sort of reality the comic is set in.

It's sort of like Littlefinger in Game of Thrones. You have all these characters with motivations and flaws, who fuck others over and get fucked over themselves in return. And Littlefinger is like your typical comic book villain, or Batman, who has shit planned down to a science or can make use of any situation to his benefit.That's the sort of road I feel that the FBI Agent is going down towards with his portrayal so far. Every other character feels exposed in the world but he feels like a man with immunity and I'm just not a fan of that sort of portrayal. Hopefully Aaron surprises me.

Mindwipe

Holy shit is the Jackal's costume stupid. He's just a guy in a suit who can't even walk through doors because he's wearing a ludicrous hat.

I'm thinking of softening my ban a little and keeping up with Aaron's Thor stuff, Spider-Man, and Black Panther.

The Trinity.
Who would Marvel's Trinity be?
Either a time travel story, or...
That Steve Orlando loves DC lore and easter eggs?
This
Lady Blackhawk was a good addition to Birds of Prey. I wonder if they have any plans to bring her back again. The Nu52 Blackhawks series, on the other hand, was a hot mess.
Wait...there was a Black Hawks series in the New 52
Thor: Goddess of Thunder #1

I love the way the frost Giants are drawn in this series. sooo good.

Thor: Goddess of Thunder #2

the whole siege of Roxxon is awesome. keep it coming

Thor Goddess of Thunder #3

already whipping ass better than thor

Thor Goddess of Thunder #4

I don't mind blame Thor for getting angry, considering how long he has been with the hammer. Glad it was able to accept losing it.

Thor: Goddess of Thunder #5
ughhhhhhhhhhhh ODIN why are you like this, and the God of fear is clearly
lion-king-scar_l1.jpg

Thor: Goddess of Thunder #6
Hory shit! Aggar gets a backstory and man is it brutal. This man is soo messed up. He has kept the pirates alive but
just the heads

Thor going on a wild goose chase is funny.

Thor: Goddess of Thunder #7

Malekith and Aggar are sickening. killing all those innocents. The Thor vs Destroyer fight is living up to the hype though.

Thor: God of Thunder #8

solid conclusion. Glad no one figured it out so soon.
also we got stuff like this

Overall 4/5. Thor :God of Thunder had better highs and wtf moments. I am going to read Thors first then Mighty Thor later tonight.

Pretty excited for whats coming next to the American Vampire series.

A certain character that supposedly was killed is alive'ish
. Uneasy alliances with the new carpathian leader. And
Travis!!!

Where is Skinner tho :(

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of a boring week for me comic wise, but I got a bunch of stuff over the last few sales that I haven't really dug into yet. Head Lopper is pretty cool in a trying to be Mignola (but not exactly succeeding) way.

But worry not, because Green Gun Guy's book is out. Marvel is saved!

Owzers

why are the American Alien and Squirrel Girl hardcovers not oversized? Both seem standard.

That should be against the law.

Kind of a boring week for me comic wise, but I got a bunch of stuff over the last few sales that I haven't really dug into yet. Head Lopper is pretty cool in a trying to be Mignola (but not exactly succeeding) way.

I can't wait to read Green Gunman #1!!

Zombine

Banned
I've always been here! Why can't people hear me!!!!!!!!!!

Also i don't think the loot boxes are up yet.

I feel like this is one of those New 52 Superman/Superman situations. Yeah you might be Superman, but you're not Superman. Superman is dead and so is Sillymonkey.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Reborn was pretty good. It's got Capulo going nuts and drawing all kinds of cool stuff, and hasn't yet gotten to all of the things that I'd hated about Millar's earlier work. (I haven't read his stuff in a while, I may need to reconsider, but that sounds expensive and I just hated Kick-Ass so much).

I was looking at head lopper actually, it got some quite high reviews. I'm not sure if you're recommending it here or not though haha

I love the fact that I read the latest PM/IF, saw the hidden villain, and knew exactly who he was.

And with Walker writing, he's gonna be cooler than the Hood could ever be.

TheFlow

Banned
Reborn was pretty good. It's got Capulo going nuts and drawing all kinds of cool stuff, and hasn't yet gotten to all of the things that I'd hated about Millar's earlier work. (I haven't read his stuff in a while, I may need to reconsider, but that sounds expensive and I just hated Kick-Ass so much).
That sounds great, and Jupiter circle is so damn good. Haven't read kick ass but I loved the movies

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I was looking at head lopper actually, it got some quite high reviews. I'm not sure if you're recommending it here or not though haha

I'm not quite sure yet myself. The cover had me sold immediately, and the first two issues are solid, but I don't know if it's great or just good yet. There have been some great action sequences, but the characters are still a little thin, and the world hasn't yet gone beyond your fairly typical fantasy world.

The art is also a little lower in detail than the cover is, which bummed me out at first because I absolutely loved the cover, but I'm coming around in it.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm not quite sure yet myself. The cover had me sold immediately, and the first two issues are solid, but I don't know if it's great or just good yet. There have been some great action sequences, but the characters are still a little thin, and the world hasn't yet gone beyond your fairly typical fantasy world.

The art is also a little lower in detail than the cover is, which bummed me out at first because I absolutely loved the cover, but I'm coming around in it.
It's a mini series right?

Oh cool so you aren't all the way through yet? Definitely let us know when you're done then, I think it was the multiversity review that got me looking. It looks super absurd but then some reviews seemed to say it had a very legit story, which surprised me.

Top Bottom