• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

JTripper

Is anyone excited for Clone Conspiracy? I read today's issue and man, it just comes off to me as another generic gimmick event. Sure it was solidly written, especially the previous issue's big moment, but I can't help but see this event ending exactly how most people might predict.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is anyone excited for Clone Conspiracy? I read today's issue and man, it just comes off to me as another generic gimmick event. Sure it was solidly written, especially the previous issue's big moment, but I can't help but see this event ending exactly how most people might predict.

Nope. Spidey has sucked for a while.

The ending of last weeks evoked absolutely no emotion from me, when it should've been sad.

Doesn't help that
theres a guy who can bring back dead people
I'm thinking about just trade-waiting DC now. They double and triple ship a lot of their books and that adds up.

Don't blame you. Stuff like Batman would read better in trade form too imo

Hagi

Haha hmmmm my problem is I've only read one book by Gillen and I really strongly disliked it. It just didn't resonate with me at all on a storytelling or charscter level, I just found it poorly plotted and honestly, quite shallow. Of course that is only one volume of one book so it's not a lot to judge him by but its made me bullish haha.

Awesome man. Those omnibus are big and there's a lot to unpack as you go. Yea, interested to hear you're thoughts rereading. It's the only omnibus I have a few mixed thoughts on a few of the shorter stories in the middle with all the different writers that get in there, just because it's kind of strange and a real anomaly for the mignola books (Geoff johns writes a story haha), but hollow earth is incredible and the actual story plague of frogs itself obviously kicks off the main narrative that drives the whole rest of the collections and is blistering.

I'm a pretty big Star Wars mark but I do think the book is well done. Gillen really gets into Vaders head and adds some fun stuff like the droids and Aphra. Theirs a lot of manoeuvring done behind the Emperors back that I find really interesting. You mileage may vary obviously.

I'll admit I really did a double take earlier when I was reading the foreword and saw the list of writers with Geoff Johns on it. Did not know that at all before today. I've developed this itch where I just want to read and buy everything Mignolaverse right this second but I've had to settle myself down and go with the reading order so I can actually afford to eat for the rest of the month.

The one thing I miss about physical media - I am entirely digital now - is the ability to loan stuff out to people. But at the same time I understand why it's not something most services offer.

yea I am using Marvel unlimited, but they are charging still charging 4 bucks an issue for the previous Jane run.

Your math is a little off there man. Jane Thor has only been around since Oct 2014, I think? So all of those issues are less than two years old. Pretty normal for them to go 18 months or so before dropping the price, and they usually go down in chunks.

I'll admit I really did a double take earlier when I was reading the foreword and saw the list of writers with Geoff Johns on it. Did not know that at all before today. I've developed this itch where I just want to read and buy everything Mignolaverse right this second but I've had to settle myself down and go with the reading order so I can actually afford to eat for the rest of the month.

Haha well maybe I should give Vader a look at some point man. I buy so many books though haha.

Haha the thirst is real man. I actually bought Hellboy 1-6 quite slowly and spaced out. I was aware of the other stuff, BPRD etc, but I thought eh need to read through to the island anyway right. So it took about 2 years to get through volumes 1-6 (I was a student then too, so I didn't have a lot of comic $)....but when I read the three wishes and the island and the stuff that goes down in them...it was like okay. That's it I guess. I have to buy it ALL. NOW. Haha. I bought the two omnibus that were out, I think I even bought a volume or two of hell on earth, even though I couldn't read em yet hah all the side stuff. Just went ape shit. When you get that itch...it's only a matter of time man.

Hagi

Her first run is all £1.49 here so I don't really see the issue.

Haha well maybe I should give Vader a look at some point man. I buy so many books though haha.

Haha the thirst is real man. I actually bought Hellboy 1-6 quite slowly and spaced out. I was aware of the other stuff, BPRD etc, but I thought eh need to read through to the island anyway right. So it took about 2 years to get through volumes 1-6 (I was a student then too, so I didn't have a lot of comic $)....but when I read the three wishes and the island and the stuff that goes down in them...it was like okay. That's it I guess. I have to buy it ALL. NOW. Haha. I bought the two omnibus that were out, I think I even bought a volume or two of hell on earth, even though I couldn't read em yet hah all the side stuff. Just went ape shit. When you get that itch...it's only a matter of time man.

I'm impulsive to a fault so I don't really want to go down that hole lol there's so much to read so I can slowly take my time through it all and appreciate them.

TheFlow

Banned
Your math is a little off there man. Jane Thor has only been around since Oct 2014, I think? So all of those issues are less than two years old. Pretty normal for them to go 18 months or so before dropping the price, and they usually go down in chunks.

oo my bad. 18 months still quite a bit of time especially when DC before rebirth and image drop to 2 bucks so quickly.

oo my bad. 18 months still quite a bit of time especially when DC before rebirth and image drop to 2 bucks so quickly.

As I see it, recent back issues have never been an important part of their digital strategy (though classic material probably is). They have Marvel Unlimited. DC had good incentive to drop back issue prices quickly because they have no such service. And the $3 books are staying at that price for good, right? So, I guess recent back issues aren't a big part of DC's strategy either because for a bunch of books that come out twice a month that adds up fast.

I wish they were a higher priority though. I loathe the Marvel Unlimited reader. Couldn't care less about it (though I do of course realize that a lot of you guys get a ton of value from it and that's cool).

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
IST orders came in today:

The Walking Dead Omnibus #1
Saga Book 1
The Longest Day of the Future
From Hell HC
Paper Girls #1
Doctor Strange The Last Days of Magic PHC
Vision Little Worse than a Man
Black Science 1-4
New Avengers Revolution (Yu's art is superb)
Monstress Awakening

Waiting for:
Y: The Last Man 1-5 Deluxe
Tokyo Ghost 1-2 (Decided to give it a shot)

Anyone here read comics studies/theory? I'm reading Groensteen's The System of Comics and it's incredibly interesting.

Hagi

Her second run just started less than 12 months ago which as far as I can see if the one that hasn't been discounted.

I don't know why but I think it's weird to expect digital prices to fall after a certain amount of time. I get it with physical stores and the like with games and such but with comics the expectation is certainly a new thing for me.

Afrodium

Banned
Night of the Monster Men sure had an abrupt and underwhelming ending. Really poor art too which is a shame as most of the event has looked fantastic.

Doom Patrol is fantastic again. Young Animal is good stuff so far.

TheFlow

Banned
Her second run just started less than 12 months ago which as far as I can see if the one that hasn't been discounted.

I don't know why but I think it's weird to expect digital prices to fall after a certain amount of time. I get it with physical stores and the like with games and such but with comics the expectation is certainly a new thing for me.

I am not talking about her second run though. Digital prices should always drop just like physical prices. There is no rarity to Digital issues, and they can't be resold.

As I see it, recent back issues have never been an important part of their digital strategy (though classic material probably is). They have Marvel Unlimited. DC had good incentive to drop back issue prices quickly because they have no such service. And the $3 books are staying at that price for good, right? So, I guess recent back issues aren't a big part of DC's strategy either because for a bunch of books that come out twice a month that adds up fast.

I wish they were a higher priority though. I loathe the Marvel Unlimited reader. Couldn't care less about it (though I do of course realize that a lot of you guys get a ton of value from it and that's cool).
I see where you are coming from, Marvel unlimited balances things out, but man do I wish the read would offer 2 page spreads. plus it is so janky sometimes. I had to hit refresh a couple times to get the next issue to boot up over the past couple of days.

yea 3 bucks isn't so bad for DC rebirth prices, but once you factor in that double shipping, with no price drops then you find yourself spending more than you would with Marvel. That is of course if a person is pulling a lot from DC.

I just hope DC drops the prices down for old issues by next year, because a lot of the rebirth books will be in the teens by January.

It's interesting that it's almost taken for granted that they will, isn't it? Like if a non-Big Two book doesn't drop in price by the time the next issue hits, it really does surprise me. And I think I've seen it happen once, twice at most.

These days I buy almost all of my books the day they come out so I don't think about it too much. But would I have tried out hefty runs like TMNT, Invincible or even Y if they were cover price? Probably not, at least not unless the "trades" were affordable by comparison.

Sandfox

I'm enjoying and have no idea how it's going to end.
Nope. Spidey has sucked for a while.

The ending of last weeks evoked absolutely no emotion from me, when it should've been sad.

Doesn't help that
theres a guy who can bring back dead people

Don't blame you. Stuff like Batman would read better in trade form too imo
Well we already know that
the revived people aren't necessarily long for the world and are being treated as fakes so I don't see how that removes any of the stakes.

Hagi

I am not talking about her second run though. Digital prices should always drop just like physical prices. There is no rarity to Digital issues, and they can't be resold.

Her first run is cheaper now though?

I'm not saying you are wrong in thinking like that it's just something I personally have trouble wrapping my head around sometimes. The perceived value of a single issue. Not really something I thought about when solely buying trades.

It's interesting that it's almost taken for granted that they will, isn't it? Like if a non-Big Two book doesn't drop in price by the time the next issue hits, it really does surprise me. And I think I've seen it happen once, twice at most.

These days I buy almost all of my books the day they come out so I don't think about it too much. But would I have tried out hefty runs like TMNT, Invincible or even Y if they were cover price? Probably not, at least not unless the "trades" were affordable by comparison.

Yeah I do find these kind of things interesting.

IST orders came in today:

Y: The Last Man 1-5 Deluxe

Anyone here read comics studies/theory? I'm reading Groensteen's The System of Comics and it's incredibly interesting.

Haha, you chose well with those Y HCs man, really really nice. I've been meaning to give em a reread in fact. Glad you went in on them.

TheFlow

Banned
Her first run is cheaper now though?

I'm not saying you are wrong in thinking like that it's just something I personally have trouble wrapping my head around sometimes. The perceived value of a single issue. Not really something I thought about when solely buying trades.

Yeah I do find these kind of things interesting.

her first run shows up 4 dollars an issue for me. that is what me and Echo have been talking about it the whole time. lol

https://marvel.com/comics/series/19759/thor_2014_-_present

Doom Patrol #2:

ocsiYI0.gif

This book is my right kind of trippy. Nice to see Danny the Street back.

Hagi

Ross61

HOLY SHIT at this Superman #14 solicit:

Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON
Art by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
Covers by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY
Variant cover by ANDREW ROBINSON

“MULTIPLICITY” part one! The New Super-Man of China has been taken! The Red Son Superman of Earth-30 has been beaten! And who knows what’s happened to Sunshine Superman! Someone is collecting Supermen across the Multiverse—this looks like a job for our Kal-El as he is joined by Justice Incarnate in this multi-Earth epic
!

Just in time for the weekly releases:

Scalped - Vol. 3: Dead Mothers
[5/5]: Another excellent volume by Aaron. It's hard for me to pin down which volume has been my favorite so far because they've all been so consistently great.
Red Crow has become my new favorite character. Aaron's done so much to be make him such a sympathetic character and his reaction to the murder combined with the art went a long way in getting me to root for him. There was just a lot of great stuff in this volume. Dash breaking down. The kid dead in Nevada. Falls Down starting an investigation into the murder. It's so hard to predict where the story is going to go and that's honestly one of the best parts about this comic. It's unpredictable, it's executed so damn well and if you told me this was an adaptation of a beloved TV show, I'd believe you because that's the sort of vibes it gives off.

The one issue that keeps resurfacing for me is that the FBI agent continues to be an unlikable twat. And Aaron keeps making him even more of an unlikable character as the story progresses. And a character like that deserves a gruesome end. My issue would be if the FBI character goes scott free, which really hamper the sort of reality the comic is set in.

It's sort of like Littlefinger in Game of Thrones. You have all these characters with motivations and flaws, who fuck others over and get fucked over themselves in return. And Littlefinger is like your typical comic book villain, or Batman, who has shit planned down to a science or can make use of any situation to his benefit.That's the sort of road I feel that the FBI Agent is going down towards with his portrayal so far. Every other character feels exposed in the world but he feels like a man with immunity and I'm just not a fan of that sort of portrayal. Hopefully Aaron surprises me.

Totally missed this earlier! I love reading your reviews/thoughts on these as you go man. Now you're deep in it, I'm kind of afraid to say much any more in fear of spoilers, even inferring what might happen with a character, but I'll just say...trust Aaron haha. Any grievances you have etc., just trust in him, and the work you see him doing, that everyone will have a story that makes sense. I'm not saying everything is an easy pill to swallow, how it shakes out haha but I feel like everyone is exposed at various points in the series. Nitz certainly has his time and then some. Also, I love Officer Falls Down haha

I'm looking forward to them. Will probably put everything on hold to read em.

Awesome, share thoughts as you go man :)

mreddie

I just caught this.

http://www.cbr.com/robinsons-scarlet-witch-redefines-wandas-marvel-universe-role/

How did this book (Scarlet Witch) come about?

James Robinson: This book really came about because I stood up at a Marvel summit and pitched to do a Wanda book. This initially wasn’t part of Marvel’s game plan. It was me pointing out that she was in the Avengers movies and everything else, and I really believed people might respond to a Wanda solo book at this time.

Robinson had to tell Marvel that Wanda was gonna be in movies and was aghast Marvel had no plans for for til Robinson pitched.

I want to know who pitched for the 3 gun guys. If it was Axel, that guy needs to go.

Hagi

HOLY SHIT at this Superman #14 solicit:

Wow this is the book that just keeps on giving. I'm constantly surprised at how a Superman book is my favourite book throughout Rebirth.

woah mind blown! thank you for this. And yea I guess unlimited is not synced. I waive my complaint then.

It's no problem I haven't had Unlimited in probably over a year so couldn't recall if you could buy books through it. Weird that it's not synced.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The one thing I miss about physical media - I am entirely digital now - is the ability to loan stuff out to people. But at the same time I understand why it's not something most services offer.

Understandable. Not a problem for me though since I don't really have anyone to loan stuff out to anymore.

I mean I could share my 800+ Image titles with anyone who owns a tablet. I just don't know anyway who would be interested.

TheFlow

Banned
Mighty Thor #1
this first issue is such a big page turner. like damn guys I can't believe I waited so many years to start reading Aaron's thor.
All those dead elves falling into Earth's orbit pure goosebumbps.
I feel like I am reading one epic instead of new title after title. Aaron does such a great job connecting plot details no matter how small into the next issue. The pay off is going to be huge once he finishes this great run. Also damn guys how did the art get even better than the last run. I am using Unlimited so everything is SD but the art still looks incredible.

5/5

Mighty Thor #2
Loki's scruff was fine in the last issue, but for some reason it seems to be drawn weirdly here. they might as well give the man a nice beard/goatee or cut that shit off. I love the dialog between him and his father. I have been saying this for a while but I love how everyone is drawn in this series. The frost giants never looked as tribal and grand as this. Loki is somehow scarier than Malekith, and the war of the elves is brutal. One thing for sure this is feeling like game of thrones. so many alliances and everyone one upping each other for power.

Mighty Thor #3
perfect blend of Dialog and Action. I loved Loki in this one. he is so self aware that it isn't funny. All the different versions of himself interacting was awesome as well. Also guys can we talk about how awesome those last few pages were. like legit chills. The necro elves are some of my favorite henchmen designs in the game.

Mighty Thor #4
Loki is slaying me. Never thought I would be a fan of him but he is so charming. Malekith is soo damn evil and clever that I can't wait for him to get hit with that hammer. Man went from being a prisoner to be one of the biggest power players in the 10 realms.

Odin is sooo damn Stubborn that I see where Thor gets it from. Asgard is amidst a revolution that even Odin himself may not be able to quell.

Mighty Thor #5
lets be real we knew this fight was coming for a long time, but seeing it in action XD! Freyja is how I imagine Cersei Lannister if she wasn't a bitch and was more good than evil.
but yo mind blown!
Loki is a double agent, working for Freyja

Yo what the actually fuck! Loki! tricked me. wowwwwww
that backstab and reaction page was sooooo brutal

I am getting so attached to this world and characters.

Mighty Thor #6
I will come back to this. later.

Mighty Thor #7
cool art change. though it is hard to tell what is happening because the lines aren't drawn hard. This was a good backstory because it sets up our next batch of henchmen. Dragon Blood is no joke

Mighty Thor #8

Mr.Aggar has gotten quite rich and ambitous lately and what happens when you upset the balance of the #1 of the Marvel universe? A meeting of course. Aaron really is thinking of everything when it comes to his Thor epic.

Mighty Thor #9
damnit loki damnit! I like you again. Also interesting seeing the new silver samurai in action. He is no joke, along with Ms.Midas rekting.

Mighty Thor #10
oh man the dialog is sooo fucking good. The sam wilson and jane texting each other, the berserkers beating each other up so they can hulk out, and Ms.Midas with the golden gun.

Her gun reminds me of the golden gun from destiny that can kill anything in one shot. She is no joke. This run has done a great job of making villains worth reading about.

That plot twist at the end. did not see that coming for the life of me.

Mighty Thor #11
Ok Jane Foster might just be the greatest Thor of all time. She has done thing with the hammer I didn't know existed. Aggar, Midas, and Yashida are done for the moment. Solid little arc, but I want to get back to the other realms.

With that I have caught up with all thing Thor. #6 is just a backstory of Loki and Thor.

That book was great. I talked it up for a bit last year when the digital chapters started coming out (it was a digital first series), but other than Poodle I don't think anyone else was reading it and there was never any discussion. There is a second volume that starts either late this year or early next.

Noway. I was all over that. And when i got bummed it ended you told me more is coming. So yea everybody buy it. Its fun.

Top Bottom