• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

So I was looking at stuff to spend my gamestop reward points on and they have "Batman: The Killing Joke Graphic Novel" added now. The thumbnail has a "limited edition" tag, but I don't see why. Looks like the regular graphic novel to me.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
holding off on buying games & comics for a little bit - gonna build my PC soon.

once that's done, there's a ton of games i want to try out: Planet Coaster, Forza Horizon 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc

Bendis' All-New X-Men -- For the most part this run is good. Vol 1-5 and The Trial of Jean Grey are all pretty dope, especially the Trial. Vol 6 is pure filler and Vol. 7 is just a flop of an ending)
Spurrier's X-Force -- This run is fucking great all the way through. Pure and unadulterated scumbaggery coupled with over the top insanity. Goddamn is this run so much fun.

Rucka's Cyclops -- Pretty much young Scott and Corsair having father/son bonding space adventures. The book is short, having only two trades. Rucka does the first and Layman does the second. Rucka's run is straight gold all the way through. Layman's isn't bad by any means, but it's simply not as strong. It's still pretty fun, but it's Rucka's run that really makes this book shine.

Spider-Man and the X-Men -- This is a really fun book involving Spider-Man teaching the delinquent class at the Jean Grey School after Wolverine dies and requests Peter to find a mole within the school. The class in question consists entirely of students that Logan had pegged as possible suspects. It's really fun with a bunch of crazy adventures, and also a lot of heartwarming moments. It's a pretty short book, capping somewhere between 8-12 issues, but it's still a lot of fun and I highly recommend it.

Current ongoings:

X-Men '92 -- Really fun book that's basically an homage to the cartoon while also poking fun at that era. It starts as a Secret Wars mini, which is amazing, and then became a current ongoing. I don't think the ongoing is as strong as the Secret Wars book, but it's still pretty fun.

thanks, i'll give these a shot

Messi

holding off on buying games & comics for a little bit - gonna build my PC soon.

once that's done, there's a ton of games i want to try out: Planet Coaster, Forza Horizon 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc

thanks, i'll give these a shot

Uncanny is better than all new and both crossover heavily in the first arc or two

MIDNAPO_Cv3.jpg

Jesus, this ACO cover for Midnigther/Apollo. Would post the solicits but it's just BC frankensteining them, little added on top of the Young Animal stuff that got linked already so far. That cover though, Midnighter + doom.

jon bones

Uncanny is better than all new and both crossover heavily in the first arc or two

cool, i'll keep that in mind. it will be a while til i get there, as i am slowly going through The Vision & Aaron's Thor right now.

Come join us on the other side. If you have any questions about parts let me know.

thanks, after much research i've settled on this build plan:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($124.85 @ B&H)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($68.88 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($449.00 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.9 CFM 140mm Fan ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.9 CFM 140mm Fan ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1498.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-18 08:10 EDT-0400

Build looks good man. That i7 is hefty but will last you for sure. Only brand I don't recognise is the heatsink but thats a great build. Fractal make really nice mini cases, I had the node 304.

jon bones

Build looks good man. That i7 is hefty but will last you for sure. Only brand I don't recognise is the heatsink but thats a great build. Fractal make really nice mini cases, I had the node 304.

thanks, i want to knock it out of the park under 1.5k and i think i got it

a little nervous about working in a small case for my first build, but i heard it's not too bad

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh man, people complaining that the Batsignal makes no sense and wouldnt work on a unclouded night (not that it would work at all 🙄)

thanks, i want to knock it out of the park under 1.5k and i think i got it

a little nervous about working in a small case for my first build, but i heard it's not too bad

For the budget I'd say it's practically perfect man. You should be okay with the smaller case, especially since you went with the modular psu, will give you a lot more space

Are you grabbing a monitor too or is it going in the front room/on a tv?

Don't say that! There's been enough delays recently.

This would be terrible since I'm much more amped for gr2 than tlg but both their exclusives in December haha

jon bones

For the budget I'd say it's practically perfect man. You should be okay with the smaller case, especially since you went with the modular psu, will give you a lot more space

Are you grabbing a monitor too or is it going in the front room/on a tv?

initially it'll be used for my 1080p tv and an old 32" monitor i have

next year i'm gonna get me one of dem 3440x1440p ultra wide curved monitors mmmmm

Zombine

Banned

Yeah was about to say the same. Looks like my build only the "2 years later" version. It's going to last you a long time unless you become a super enthusiast like Launchpad or myself (I had no plans on this, I just fell in love with the platform.)

You're going to feel super weird playing on your PC over your PS4 or Xbox, but eventually you throw your reservations out the window and become comfortable with it. I find that 2 years later, my average playtime is the following:

85% PC
10% PS4 (Exclusives)
5% Xbox One (Exclusives)

At this point, Xbox is now just a part of PC so I'm really at about 90% PC usage. My Xbox is good for apps, backwards compatibility, and tv and whatnot.

You're going to feel super weird playing on your PC over your PS4 or Xbox, but eventually you throw your reservations out the window and become comfortable with it.

Very much this. The only reason I'm considering grabbing a few multiplatform games this fall on console is because my last builds card is showing it's age (770 2gb) but I don't want to drop money on a new one until I know how much I need for NX. Otherwise it becomes a no brainer.

The only thing I noticed was the cpu is the unlocked version. Careful over clocking in a mini case, heat isn't a huge issue but more so than a full case. But again, I'm guessing that cpu is to live for a long.time and maybe transfer cases at some point.

I'm loving Monterey. Headed back to the beach this morning, the driving the family up the coast on highway 1 to San Francisco.

Early morning vacation list!
Archie #12
Batman #7
Green Arrow #7
Nightwing #5
Seven to Eternity #1
Superman #7
Trinity #1

Close to dropping Superman, not because it's bad, but it's simply fizzling out. Trinity is likely a one and done attempt.

jon bones

i have no desire to OC for a long time. i like my machines running cool & quiet.

between the PS4 Pro underwhelming me & X1 putting their exclusives on PC it was a real no brainer for me to go NX/PC going forward.

i have no desire to OC for a long time. i like my machines running cool & quiet.

Cool man. You could technically save a little then by getting the non k version of the processor but I'm sure you know that. Yea the ps4 pro baffles mea little, specifically because of their reasoning. They want to put out a machine that stops people moving to pc, but don't really chase anything people like about pc with it.

Rereading gotham academy v.1 this afternoon then onto volume 2, this is the book I kept til last haha, can't wait to pry it open, I love this series. Then no new.comics for me for a few weeks </3 I'll probably do one more big haul in october then I'm on ice until xmas, my girlfriend bans me from buying trades after the October holidays so I don't buy anything she might have put away as presents. Dovetails pretty well with busy game season though so it's bareable. Does anyone else go through this, having to put their hobby on hold because of the gift giving season?

Owzers

between the PS4 Pro underwhelming me & X1 putting their exclusives on PC it was a real no brainer for me to go NX/PC going forward.

I'm already thinking NX is a mistake and they haven't even announced it yet.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Righty-o sorry for the late response but here's the reading order for the current TF series
1- Last Stand of the Wreckers
2- Transformers: Chaos Theory (only the last half of the book is important, the first half you can ignore)
3- More than Meets the eye vol. 1-3
4- Transformers: Dark Prelude
5- MTMTE Vol. 4-5
6- Dark Cybertron
7- Rest of MTMTE

Sweet thanks man!

jon bones

I'm already thinking NX is a mistake and they haven't even announced it yet.

i already like having a 'pick up and play' tablet laying around the house. that it can play native new Nintendo games only solidifies my interest.

we'll see how the reveal goes.

Did anyone like Batgirl/BoP #2? or was it just me?

Seems like reviews are slowly starting to turn around on that one. I hope the series does settle into something great though, Batgirl & Black Canary are amongst my favourite DC trades I'm reading at the moment. Super bummed those creative teams have moved on. Batgirl opinions have been really up and down, so fingers crossed Birds OF Prey shakes out.

i already like having a 'pick up and play' tablet laying around the house. that it can play native new Nintendo games only solidifies my interest.

we'll see how the reveal goes.

Guys. It will play Nintendo games, and at a higher fidelity than previous nintendo systems. Nothing else matters. We are all good with the NX train. Trust in Nintendo. They will come up with osme wacky shit and the games will be great as always.

So I was looking at stuff to spend my gamestop reward points on and they have "Batman: The Killing Joke Graphic Novel" added now. The thumbnail has a "limited edition" tag, but I don't see why. Looks like the regular graphic novel to me.
It says in the description that it has changes to the cover. GS only gets exclusive variant covers.

kmfdmpig

Damn, top 30 books in august, 1 to Image, 3 to Marvel, 26 to DC. The Rebirth sheen will wear off but still pretty cray.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. DC had such success at first with Nu52, but that fell apart fairly quickly. It seems like they've been a bit smarter with Rebirth in terms of staggering launches more, holding off on some books for a second wave. Twice a month, which I thought would fail, seems to be working well for them also.

Anyway, just read Detective 940 yesterday and that was a superb comic. The whole arc has been outstanding and I'm curious to see what comes next.

Zombine

Banned
It says in the description that it has changes to the cover. GS only gets exclusive variant covers.

"Do you understand? I don't want to fire you. I don't want either of us to end up harassing the other.

But we're both running out of back stock space...and we both know it.

Maybe it all hinges on tonight. Maybe this is our last chance to sort this numbers mess out.

If you don't preorder it, then we're locked onto a smaller stock.

Both of us. To the register.

It doesn't have to end like that. I don't know what it was that bent your life out of shape, but who knows? Maybe I'be been there too.

Maybe I can help.

We could work together. I could retrain you. You needn't be out there on the floor anymore. You needn't be alone.

So when you ask about preorders, what does the customer say?"

"No I'm sorry but...no. It's far too late for that. Far too late.

Hahaha you know it's funny...This situation reminds me of a slogan

GameStop-logo-power-to-the-people.jpg
"

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. DC had such success at first with Nu52, but that fell apart fairly quickly. It seems like they've been a bit smarter with Rebirth in terms of staggering launches more, holding off on some books for a second wave. Twice a month, which I thought would fail, seems to be working well for them

For sure. I remember similar stuff happening with the new 52, and I wouldn't want to see a marvel lock out for good anyway, no good for either side that way, but it's interesting enough to watch and guess at haha

"Do you understand? I don't want to fire you. I don't want either of us to end up harassing the other.

But we're both running out of back stock space...and we both know it.

Maybe it all hinges on tonight. Maybe this is our last chance to sort this numbers mess out.

If you don't preorder it, then we're locked onto a smaller stock.

Both of us. To the register.

It doesn't have to end like that. I don't know what it was that bent your life out of shape, but who knows? Maybe I'be been there too.

Maybe I can help.

We could work together. I could retrain you. You needn't be out there on the floor anymore. You needn't be alone.

So when you ask about preorders, what does the customer say?"

"No I'm sorry but...no. It's far too late for that. Far too late.

Hahaha you know it's funny...This situation reminds me of a slogan

GameStop-logo-power-to-the-people.jpg
"
You put way too much work into this.

Ooooooooooooooh my god, The Fix is fucking hilarious. I have not read something this legitimately funny in a while. When the crime boss got asked if he had been waiting in the elevator for him all that time and it flashes back to the dude saying his line as random people come in and going "Oh excuse me" then turning to his goon like "I thought you said you saw him parking!" and then it cuts back and he says "No" I was dying.

Top Bottom