• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

ElNarez

Banned
Relative positions without numbers don't mean anything about the health of one particular book, that's true.

However, it does mean something in the wider context. Namely, that Civil War II is not exciting anybody.

Sandfox

Relative positions without numbers don't mean anything about the health of one particular book, that's true.

However, it does mean something in the wider context. Namely, that Civil War II is not exciting anybody.

CW2 is clearly a weak selling event now riddled with delays. IMO too many books tied into the event, but it did provide a little boost so eh.

I'm curious to see what Marvel does by next Summer-Fall.

Messi

3 books enter the arena. The Tom King arena. Only one may leave.

What is Tom Kings best book?

The Vision
Omega Men
Sheriff of Babylon

VanWinkle

The Vision
Omega Men
Sheriff of Babylon

I've only read Omega Men, but it was just incredible. I'm waiting for an absolute edition now.

Hoping for a OHC for Vision, too. If I don't see one solicited within the end of the year or so I'll probably buy the trades.

The Vision
Omega Men
Sheriff of Babylon

Vision
Sheriff of Babylon
Omega Men

In that order.

I'd love it if this would be the quote they use on the trade paper back

Civil War II - It's not complete dog shit.

Omg really? Lemme start catching up asap.

Yeah, her design is pretty solid. And it seems she'll be getting a statue too.

vixen-bombshells.jpg

Owzers

My CMX codes are doomed, expire tonight at 11:59pm est, little over an hour, probably has to be in the U.S. because we have the best codes folks.

image0805-QTCHS $5 off $15 of Image books

image0810-QTCHS $10 off 30 of also Image books

Malyse

Doom Patrol makes no goddamn sense, but Terry None is super appealing so there's that. The DCU Rebirth issue makes the various Rebirth reboots make a hell of a lot more sense. I mean, I'm not wholly lost anymore so that's a plus. Why is this Shade comic looking so appealing?

I want Prez back. How is it not a hit with this political climate?

I don't know what to tell you man, just trying to be friendly, not looking to debate it with you. Keep it up if you want, I've read both books so it's no issue to me, just a thought that came into my head.
I changed it just in case. You have a fair point.
they went kinda big for the VO for Avengers Academy.
New cartoon?

I can't think of anyone who was truly excited for it. Everyone was pretty tepid on it all around, myself included. That said, I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit.

despite having reservations about this year's Long Beach Comic-Con for featuring Greg Land, Brett Booth, and Nick Spencer
among some others
as some of the top special guests, and the sloppy handling of ticket pickups, I had a good time. Found some cool dollar bin books that have Gambit and Cable in them, a Prez one-shot from the 90s by Ed Brubaker (?!) and also this Dazzler issue with a super cool Bill Sienkiewicz cover

latest

also got some sketches, like these by Gabriel Hardman and Joe Eisma

I talked to Hardman as he drew, cool dude (everyone was, actually!). speaking of cool artists, I learned the Joelle Jones/Mariko Tamaki Supergirl mini is 48 pages an issue, prestige format. apparently she's been working on this for a while. I think it's gonna be dope, though.

So after I got done re-reading Bendis' UXM, I was thinking about Dark Beast's role in the story. When I read it for the very first time, I thought that it was incredibly stupid. I mean, he was sitting inside the wall of a helicarrier coughing, hacking, and giggling trying to kill the X-Men. Then he dies from a sickness that's never explained in either origin or how he contracted it, simply saying that he did it because he hates Scott Summers. Then, after reading it the second time, it didn't seem all that stupid, but I still had my same issues: it comes out of nowhere, death by completely mysterious disease, and it feels rather anti-climactic in its ending.

But then I thought about it, and it's actually really interesting. See, Dark Beast is an alternate dimension mirror version of Beast, so it would make sense that, to a degree, they are powered by similar motivations: they desire scientific advancement for their respective mutant factions. With Beast, it's mutantkind in general, as that's what the X-Men do. With Dark Beast, it's specifically the Apocalypse agenda. But in this case, Dark Beast is specifically targeting Scott Summers. No longer about advancing the Apocalypse agenda or doing some nasty science experiments; it's all about outright murder.

Now everyone already knows this. It's nothing new. So why bother bringing it up? What makes it interesting? Because it's an exact reflection of Beast's ongoing arc at the same time: his overwhelming hatred for Scott Summers. Over the course of both All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men, Beast has constantly blamed Scott for everything. It's why he broke all space and time ethics to bring the O5 to the present, after all. But it really comes around in UXM #600. As everyone is confronting Beast for his intervention, he frequently deflects by saying that his experimentations would take forever to explain to everyone else, if they could be explained at all. That it's not worth it, something that Dark Beast mirrors as well by simply hiding and making deadly weapons. Not bothering to explain what he was really doing.

Continuing on that line, as his friends are continuing to point out what he's done and why he needs to stop, ol' Hank McCoy continuously deflects in another manner: by pointing out what Scott's done. And everyone responds in kind by pointing this out. How he constantly points out Scott and everything he's doing. Blaming him for everything. Granted, Hank's anti-Scott stance has been around since the days of Second Coming where he decided that, instead of grieving over Nightcrawler's death with everyone else, that he should instead use it to grandstand against Scott. Asshole, but that's beyond the point. See, this is truly where it comes into play: Dark Beast dies severely sick, with no explanation as to how he got this way. All he can say is how much he hates Scott Summers, and it makes sense. The X-Men have been an enemy of his for years, foiling him at every turn, and Scott has always been a major leader and figurehead in some form or another. But why focus on Scott's little movement? Why not pull a Cassandra Nova and full on bomb the main mutant refuge that is Krakoa? I mean, he's practically pulling her MO already with Sentinels both big and small.

It's because he specifically targeting Scott. Much like ol' 616 Hank, he has come to hate Scott Summers that it's his big motivation. He's had Scott as the big focus in his mind like a laser. Dark Beast is a vision of what his future could be: he hates Scott so damn much that he gets physically sick from it and with his dying breaths, he viciously attacks Scott with everything he can. It's a future vision of what Hank could become if he keeps going down this road, and to be honest he shows no signs of backing out. Look what happens at the end of the run: he hates Scott so much that even when quite possible one of the best things that mutants have accomplished in a long time is engineered by Scott (and Alex), he absolutely hates him for it. That Scott could dare get away with doing such a good thing. That Hank could begin to hate Scott so much that he becomes deathly ill isn't out of the realm of possibility. Coupled with his continued scientific experimentations, it's not really out of the realm of possibility that Dark Beast is certainly in his future.

A bit lengthy, but it's something I thought of and I wanted to throw it out there.

Also:

Doom Patrol makes no goddamn sense, but Terry None is super appealing so there's that...Why is this Shade comic looking so appealing?

Just a general thought on the upcoming books, but Young Animal in general just looks so good. Even though it's got a bit of different vibe to the original Vertigo, I do think it evokes the feel of fresh and new, and unpredictable, and it's not just that it's using some of the old properties. It opens the doors again of "well, they could really do anything here", no rules. They all look great that way, even if we haven't seen much of them yet and personally, I'm not even that familiar with the other writers onboard. It's not just doing what Morrison or Gaiman did before it, and that gives it some confidence that's appealing at a base level.

Not quite 9 months and I'll be able to say for sure!

The Vision
Omega Men
Sheriff of Babylon

Haven't read SoB yet, but it's a tough call. Omega Men seems better at the moment because it's actually a complete work at this point and knowing they stick the end point I am super high on it, but I really have this feeling Vision will be the better book at the end. I LOVE the writing style, the way he uses narration, language, the way the visions play with language amongst each other, it's just so well written. I enjoy a lot of comics but I don't read a lot that makes use of actual literary techniques in a real compelling way, despite seeking that stuff out. With both Omega Men & Vision it jumps off the page.

New cartoon?

Mobile game I think!

I need to consider going back to Uncanny. I read the first twol regular volumes of each Uncanny & AN X-men, but similar to Thor, I eventually just stopped because I hate the Marvel Premiere HCs. Now they're out in OHC though, it's tempting to give em another shot. Plus Dark Beast, I mark for him, I remember him being so diabolical as a kid reading AoA

also got some sketches, like these by Gabriel Hardman and Joe Eisma

Oh wow, I really love that Hardman sketch, dude's work is really great in Invisible Republic.

The Vision #6

man, every issue of this series just kills me. god damn.

This is where I'm up to man, incredible eh, especially that issue, really intense stuff. And the ending! I love how the subplot just kind of slots in around the explanations for the other stuff in his house but then...Yea. Just great. King manages to keep you on your toes the whole way through that arc.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This is where I'm up to man, incredible eh, especially that issue, really intense stuff. And the ending! I love how the subplot just kind of slots in around the explanations for the other stuff in his house but then...Yea. Just great. King manages to keep you on your toes the whole way through that arc.

I love how tense it all feels. One of the few cape comics where I read one issue of and then just sort of swill it around my brain for a while.

Maybe I'll set aside some time to catch up and read #11 with everyone this Wednesday.

Spider-man #8

woah. this issue was just about perfect.maybe even the best issue of the month.

5/5

Yep, Miles is really coming into his own here.

I love how tense it all feels. One of the few cape comics where I read one issue of and then just sort of swill it around my brain for a while.

Maybe I'll set aside some time to catch up and read #11 with everyone this Wednesday.

God damn you all. Second trade doesn't arrive until December. Plus I think it's one of those bizarre dates like the 26th of December. I hate that. Can't ask for it for Christmas, end up super busy over the holidays may as well wait til January with that date. I kind of want to follow Winkles lead and hang around for an OHC too. It is a great book and does engage you on a higher level than a lot of books. I know King is DC exclusive now but Marvel would do well to look at the critical success when they next diversify their line. New characters is great, but actual new tones to the books are even more valuable.

Did you.pull the trigger on the pc yet btw?

Aceun

lowest I have gone is 4.

Every BP issue so far is great. kind of scary.

You're not wrong at all. It's some next level stuff. Hype for what comes next.

The Miles book was also damn near perfect. Him, Kamala and Cho are the reasons I'm hype for Champions.

TheFlow

Banned
You're not wrong at all. It's some next level stuff. Hype for what comes next.

The Miles book was also damn near perfect. Him, Kamala and Cho are the reasons I'm hype for Champions.
Yea that scene with
them all in the plane after banners death was amazing

I am glad I started pulling spider-man again. It's like I am watching a character grow up

Haha. I do like bread! Finished volume 2 of Gotham Academy. Fantastic book, Olive is a really great character, with lots of interesting foils around her with the larger cast. I would like it if they maybe did more issues from the other characters povs but with the book so good, it's hard to complain. Still my favourite DC ongoing.

Cloonan and co. have created such an interesting corner of the batman mythos and come at that world from such a different angle, it's almost like reading Gotham Central the first time you wonder why it hasn't always been there. Sadly there haven't been many police centric books since then, but hopefully Gotham Academy has a lasting legacy, it feels like an essential book for a batman, so many little nods to continuity, and it's a really fresh feeling book in comics at large. Nick Spencer wishes he wrote this book when he sat down to Morning Glories.

Bottom line: highly recommended, if there's anyone on the fence still. It made it through the dcyou purge so hopefully that means DC are behind it for as long as the creative team are.

Top Bottom