• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

WadiumArcadium really needs to check out Southern Bastards and or Velvet next! If you've not done so yet man.

I read the first issue of Southern Bastards for free on Comixology a while ago and really liked it. Planning to carry on reading at some point. I've heard of Velvet but I don't really know anything about it.

Reading Southern Bastards and really enjoying it, but is this literally just Walking Tall?

Haha is it? Keep reading!

Edit: haha. Brilliant huh? That was so satisfying reading that comparison to walking tall and it's like wellllll, just wait haha. Volume 2 is great as well.

I read the first issue of Southern Bastards for free on Comixology a while ago and really liked it. Planning to carry on reading at some point. I've heard of Velvet but I don't really know anything about it.

Velvet is awesome, it's Brubaker and Epting's spy book, basically continuing their partnership that began with the original winter soldier story and went right through that whole epic cap run. It's really great. I think he describes it as what if bond was female, in her 40s and a retired secretary. It all unravels from there haha.

Only ketchup. I don't trust anyone who likes mustard.

Colmans-Mustard-jar-72dpi.jpg

Can't beat it.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
the death at the end of the first arc

Ah, ok. That book is much better than I thought it would be based on the synopsis alone. I'm not from the south and haven't really spent much time there, but the detail that they provide on small town life is incredible.

It's like Friday Night Lights if everyone was shitty.

TraBuch

Banned
the death at the end of the first arc
Yes. And it was indeed brilliant. Caught me totally off-guard.

In a way, this second volume is a bit disappointing because after the end of the first, I was like "Omfg, I need to see where this is going!" and it's 90% backstory.

Do you guys bring a sketch book when you pay for a commissioned sketch, or do you just let them draw what ever on their own paper?

I do both. I bring a sketchbook with a theme, but sometimes I'll have certain artists use their own paper, like when my sketchbook is out or something. Having a sketchbook is a bit tough to plan around, but i like having it.

Yes. And it was indeed brilliant. Caught me totally off-guard.

In a way, this second volume is a bit disappointing because after the end of the first, I was like "Omfg, I need to see where this is going!" and it's 90% backstory.

Haha I suppose but it's all character work, right? If you're going to do an about turn like that in focus, you need to make people give a shit. Are yu done the second yet?

awhile back we were discussing remender's current love of pulling a game of thrones and killing the *main* character, or eho you thought was the main. I mentioned two other books I read did it too. This is one, and I think it's very well earned, both in the lead up, and then follow up to said death.

I like the reading club idea btw guys but I'd love to do something long and classic that's well past finished. Y the last man, scalped, sweet tooth, locke and key, something like that. Anything that's ongoing or too current, I'm unlikely to be caught up on or cant actually really look back at the series with hindsight yet

TraBuch

Banned
Haha I suppose but it's all character work, right? If you're going to do an about turn like that in focus, you need to make people give a shit. Are yu done the second yet?

awhile back we were discussing remender's current love of pulling a game of thrones and killing the *main* character, or eho you thought was the main. I mentioned two other books I read did it too. This is one, and I think it's very well earned, both in the lead up, and then follow up to said death.
It was definitely well-written and it's nice to know what turned him into the piece of shit that he is now, I was just ready for some general mayhem and instead, it was more of a cooling down period.

And yeah, finished it. Interested to see where it goes but I haven't bought volume three yet.

And yeah, finished it. Interested to see where it goes but I haven't bought volume three yet.

Haha brilliant! Me neither, it's sitting in the basket there but just need to find the right week to buy, boring real life things keep knocking my plans back. Realllly excited to see where things go though, especially with the cover on volume 3. I go back and forth between lazarus and Southern Bastards every time I read them which one is my favourite book, but SB is so good. Latour art is to die for too.

TraBuch

Banned
Haha brilliant! Me neither, it's sitting in the basket there but just need to find the right week to buy, boring real life things keep knocking my plans back. Realllly excited to see where things go though, especially with the cover on volume 3. I go back and forth between lazarus and Southern Bastards every time I read them which one is my favourite book, but SB is so good. Latour art is to die for too.
Lazarus is currently in my backlog. I'm new to comics so I've just been checking out everything I can. Currently splitting my time between Southern Bastards, Chew, Fables and Planetary.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Solicits are such a strange aspect of comics and the direct market influence. Like reading solicits for December essentially guarantees you spoil the outcomes of the books you're currently reading. There are obviously new books you can follow and see what interests you.

For such a spoiler adverse fan base, solicits are weird as hell.

Yeah I rarely ever read the actual solicit. I just like to see whats coming out and look at the pretty covers.

Lazarus is currently in my backlog. I'm new to comics so I've just been checking out everything I can. Currently splitting my time between Southern Bastards, Chew, Fables and Planetary.

Sounds like you're off to a good start man. Fables was one of the first long running independent books I read after I got back in to comics and chew is pretty great. If you ever need any recommendations just holler! Lots of great stuff that have already completed their runs and are just waiting to be read. Did you come in with any writers you liked already or preferred genres , or ar e you just grabbing stuff?

TraBuch

Banned
Sounds like you're off to a good start man. Fables was one of the first long running independent books I read after I got back in to comics and chew is pretty great. If you ever need any recommendations just holler! Lots of great stuff that have already completed their runs and are just waiting to be read. Did you come in with any writers you liked already or preferred genres , or ar e you just grabbing stuff?
Just grabbing stuff. About a month ago, I started posting random titles I thought sounded interesting in this topic and asking if they were worth checking out. That's how I've built my current backlog. Currently, my backlog consists of:

The four I mentioned earlier
Transmetropolitan
The Sixth Gun
Saga
Saga of the Swamp Thing
Hellblazer
Sandman
Lucifer
Locke and Key
Sex Criminals
East of West
The Wicked + The Divine
American Vampire
Black Science
The Woods
Fear Agent
Low
Deadly Class
Scalped
Crimson
Morning Glories
Nailbiter
Hellboy
Invincible
Incorruptible
Irredeemable
iZombie

After going through all that, I figure I'll know what I like and go from there.

Saga
Sandman
Locke and Key
American Vampire
Scalped
Hellboy

After going through all that, I figure I'll know what I like and go from there.

Oh wow haha all of these are books that would have specifically came to the top. Not sure if I contributed at all but.you have done so well. Alot of the other books are books I've read too or want to, but these specifically are fucking incredible.

If you have a thing where you note things down you should add y the last man, unknown soldier (dysart run) sweet tooth and the unwritten. All finished and done and perfect. You di so well though haha I'm jealous I want to read these again for the first time.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just grabbing stuff. About a month ago, I started posting random titles I thought sounded interesting in this topic and asking if they were worth checking out. That's how I've built my current backlog. Currently, my backlog consists of:

The four I mentioned earlier
Transmetropolitan
The Sixth Gun
Saga

Saga of the Swamp Thing
Hellblazer
Sandman
Lucifer
Locke and Key
Sex Criminals
East of West
The Wicked + The Divine

American Vampire
Black Science
The Woods
Fear Agent
Low
Deadly Class
Scalped
Crimson
Morning Glories
Nailbiter
Hellboy
Invincible
Incorruptible
Irredeemable
iZombie

Big fan of the bolded series.

thought it was handled pretty well

Just seeing this, I would say it was handled just fine. I thought Stark came off a little mellowdrama-y for me and I liked seeing the kids deal with the situation but so much of it felt drawn out and too wordy for it only really being needed to show their reactions. The Tony/Carol back and forth felt like it went on forever.

I'm a broken record at this point for hating CWII, it just ends up making me drag my feet going to read my Marvel books each week.

Ross61

I hope Detective stays a team book even after Rebirth is over.

Also really like DC's collaborations with other publishers. It seems Marvel hasn't done this in recent memory.

Top Bottom