• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

PsychBat!

Banned
It all makes sense, now. All those years. Wasted...

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean. But I seldom have any positive thoughts towards the show. It's decent and at times when it tries, it's good. Nothing fantastic or even close to it has occurred and it bugs me when fans of the show put it on a pedestal too high for even the tallest person on Earth to reach.

I mean I saw a review of the episode of when Mockingbird and her boy toy left, it made the reviewer cry. I was shocked.

Then there's this sense of entitlement I can't help but feel when people want Coulson's crew to appear in the movies and in the least acknowledge Coulson's crew in the movies. Which is so damn weird when continuity is concerned in the MCU.

Got that out of my system. mini rant over.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean. But I seldom have any positive thoughts towards the show. It's decent and at times when it tries, it's good. Nothing fantastic or even close to it has occurred and it bugs me when fans of the show put it on a pedestal too high for even the tallest person on Earth to reach.

Nah, it's fine. I like it and it's better than a lot of shit that makes it on TV these days.

After 3 episodes, I still don't know what to make of Atlanta.

superthumb.jpg

I mean I saw a review of the episode of when Mockingbird and her boy toy left, it made the reviewer cry. I was shocked.

Then there's this sense of entitlement I can't help but feel when people want Coulson's crew to appear in the movies and in the least acknowledge Coulson's crew in the movies. Which is so damn weird when continuity is concerned in the MCU.

Got that out of my system. mini rant over.

I genuinely had no idea what show you were talking about with that initial post. Kinda popped up in the middle of nowhere. I was already aware you disliked AoS, and that's fine. You have a well-formed opinion that I can respect. However I'm not sure where you're pulling that there's this hyperbolic and overwhelming positivity for it. Most of GAF specifically either holds animosity or apathy towards it. Hell, speaking strictly for GAF alone, there was venom even in the show's OT. It's why I stopped posting in there. Well, that and the unwanted obligation to dissect episodes so much that I begin to hate it. The people who place it on such a pedestal seem like a very small portion. Plus, that sense of entitlement that you see is blended into wanting the Netflix heroes (Cage, DD, JJ, Iron Fist, etc.) to show up as well.

As far as my feelings go, it's solid. It's just an all around solid show. It does a good job developing a rather large cast of characters while providing good action, dialogue, and plot. Granted, it's not without its flaws. S1 is painfully slow for the first half and S3's latter half has some contrivances with the plot that certainly irked me, but I was able to overlook it. It isn't going to go down as one of the greats, but it'll go down in my book as a strong superhero/sci-fi action show that does what it does well. And if someone was looking for a good show that falls within that? I'd recommend it, though there are others I'd recommend with a higher priority (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, anything out of the DCAU), but I'd still recommend it. Certainly over the Arrowverse shows (minus Supergirl since I haven't watched it and won't any time soon).

People didn't post the best part of the Seeley interview:
Nrama: Speaking of Grayson, you helped Tom King find his niche over at DC as well.

Seeley: [Laughs] That’s true! He owes me, but now he’s the big superstar guy and he’s going to totally forget his old friend Tim who taught him how to be a comic book writer. Though, that’s not true because I think putting us together was a good call. We both wanted so much from each other that it’s almost ridiculous that they managed to get something like us together out of a complete and utter chance. We didn’t know each other, we had never worked together so that really could have gone so wrong, but it was a major dice roll and it worked out well for both of us.

Nrama: What was it like working with Tom when you guys were starting out with Grayson? Did he actually need a lot of time to learn the ropes?

Seeley: He came in with a specific idea. He wasn’t just a prose writer who didn’t know how to write comics. He came to it with more of an understanding with how comics work than most actual comic writers do that I’ve seen. He was interested in challenging the more formal way comics are made. I remember conversations we had he would want to pitch something crazy like doing the story backwards or somehow the story escalates in panel count and I think I was sort of jaded to a degree for having to work in the trenches for so many years so I would go "Yeah, I don’t recommend that, but I think you should do it."

So if anything, if there was something I was there for early it was that despite being a jaded veteran I guess it was that you should do that. I definitely supported his choice. Our method of working was to support each other’s ideas and to be a united front in the things we wanted to tell and that’s why the collaboration on Grayson worked so well. "Let’s defend each other’s ideas." So it was definitely an education for me as it was for him with it being his first ongoing comic.

Nrama: I think so and I’m sure Tom think so, too.

(Also good morning)

Messi

Nah, it's fine. I like it and it's better than a lot of shit that makes it on TV these days.

After 3 episodes, I still don't know what to make of Atlanta.

You should think that it is fucking incredible. Best show airing right now. It's really smart and funny. Occasionally very sad and depressing how senseless it all is.

Narcos also amazing.

Nighthawk #4
Like, this book was already violent, but damn this issue was brutal. It's so bleak and full of rage. Goddamn. It works so well. If Sam Wilson is using super comic book analogues to talking about racial issues, then Nighthawk is just coming in with a hammer and smashing you with it.

Old Man Logan #11
I said goddamn! That dragon sequence...mind blowing. One thing that I think is Lemire's greatest strength is when he toys with the established lore and mythos of a character. It worked fantastically with Green Arrow and it's going great with Moon Knight. Hawkeye not so much and Extraordinary X-Men is still shaky, but Old Man Logan is firing on all cylinders. This is god tier and I love it.

Green Arrow and Nightwing are the Rebirth standouts for me. I find most of it has been safe with the stories drawn out to hell and back, but hopefully it flows better for you in trade format. The only book in that list that I'd reconsider is Flash, since the entire plot advancement of the first trade is literally, "decompressed villain reveal." But several people seem to like it.

DC Rebirth: Where bimonthly publishing let's us tell you the exact same story...in twice as many issues!

Haha, cheers for the thoughts man. The truth is, if I just went with the writer s I definitely know I like and am comfortable with, I'd only be getting Batman & Superman. Really just using these rebirth trades to give a few extra things a shot, I won't be tooo butthurt if I get burned. I have saw similar things about Flash but all three of those, Flash, GA & Nightwing have also had some good feedback in here and ah, what the hell. It's only comics!

Just read the first issue of The Immortal Iron Fist. Oh man... This is good stuff. That's not Aja on art right? He is listed on art with Travel Foreman and Derek Fridolfs. It doesn't look like Aja.

Nono, you want the living weapon run, that's the good one

I'm fucking, everyone here hates it.

That Fraction/Bru run is the absolute shit though, they add so much to the mythos. Some good
hydra
shenanigans too.

(Also good morning)

Good morning man, just up half an hour ago myself.

it'll go down in my book as a strong superhero/sci-fi action show that does what it does well. And if someone was looking for a good show that falls within that? I'd recommend it, though there are others I'd recommend with a higher priority (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, anything out of the DCAU), but I'd still recommend it. Certainly over the Arrowverse shows (minus Supergirl since I haven't watched it and won't any time soon).

You mean you wouldn't recommend powers to someone? I'm SHOCKED :L

Btw, cheers for the thoughts of Animosity last night, I was about to crash but I read all the responses.

Superwoman #1
Pretty cool first issue. I love the concept. In fact, I love how all of these books are revisiting a bunch of the weird 90's Superman stuff. Although, I'm not sure if I want to trade wait this or not. We'll see how I feel about the next issue. To be honest, both Lana and Lois are a wee bit irritating. Otherwise so far so good.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #2
Art seems a lot better, but I still can't take Batgirl seriously with that costume. Also, Dinah is JACKED. Like, DAMN. Still good though.

Detective Comics #940
BUFFY-Becoming-Part-2-buffy-summers-26871720-245-165.gif

ElNarez

Banned
This seems like something Narez would say.

I'm taking this as a challenge and rewriting the post in my style. SO YOU NEVER DO THAT MISTAKE AGAIN.

Kaare: Hey. Tommy. It's me. Kaare Kyle Andrews. From the dope Hulk covers? From that weird kinda wack shit I did in Ellis' Astonishing X-Men run? Look, I've got a pitch for you. Iron First. With punching. And fucking. Old-School, Jim-Steranko type of shit. You feel me?

Tom Breevort: Thanks for calling, it's always nice to get pitches, and, we could be doing something with Iron Fist, so, um, I'm ready to listen to you but, I'm gonna have to make a phone call first. With. Corporate. Gotta talk to. Alan. Yes. That's it. I'm gonna call Alan.

Matt Fraction: Look, look, it's not like. It's not like I want to tell you to, to fuck off or anything, that's not how I roll, even though, really, I totally could right now, you know, because I'm building an empire with jokes about boners and hoo-has and sausage parties and whatnot, but, really, it's not that, as much as it is how y'all kinda did me raw on Inhumanity, and so, vis-a-vis that, you arent? really? worth the hassle? yeah, you're not really worth my time, plus my kids are doing some mindblowingly cool and cute shit right now hashtag #dadlife

Tom Breevort: did you just say an hashtag out loud?

Matt Fraction: Yeah. Yeah. I do that now. It's... it's a thing that I do. Because I'm trying to get with the times, y'know? It's ironic but in a sincere way and all that tumblr shit. But, looking back, considering everything, well, y'know. I do mean it when I told you to fuck off. So, uh, yeah. Fuck off. And also never call me again. Kelly Sue and the kids say hi.

Tom Breevort: Well, shit.

Kaare: ... and so Danny is fucking this woman, right? But, in shadows. Again, real classy shit. Old school shit, but you can totally guess a boob because it's 2015, let's be open about a boob. And then, some fucking ninja shit happens, I don't know. What's really important is that Danny cares about the woman, which you can see, because he's thinking of the boob.

Tom Breevort: Yeah, listen, uh, when can you get pages out?

ElNarez

Banned
I got what it was going for, but it had nothing going for it beyond his stylistic flourishes, and that's super fucking thin when your story is at best bland and at worst symptomatic of a deeply flawed view of women in fiction.

I got what it was going for, but it had nothing going for it beyond his stylistic flourishes, and that's super fucking thin when your story is at best bland and at worst symptomatic of a deeply flawed view of women in fiction.

I don't really disagree with any of the criticism I see against the book. I do think it's interesting this is one of the ones people choose to rail against, out of all the marvel and dc comics that don't have any writing OR art going for them, but I wouldn't go out to bat for it or anything. I don't think it's what Kaare thinks it is, but I think it's kind of awesome as what it is. I make no comment on the women thing though, I have no view on that in regards to this book, I'd have to reread it again and take it seriously for that kind of thing and I just don't think it's that deep. I'll buy the iron fists thing though.

Glitterbomb #1
hFHHaI.gif

Weavers #5
If this ain't the most on-the-edge-of-your-seat shit I ever did see...This finale's about to be the grandest you ever did see.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Pink #3
This issue was pretty okay, which is a bummer. Everytime some sick action was about to happen, it would get interrupted. This issue didn't flow very well because of it. Felt choppy. Which now makes me think this story may end up getting a bit drawn out. Oh well. Hopefully the next one is better.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Pink #3
This issue was pretty okay, which is a bummer. Everytime some sick action was about to haplen

Btw I thought this book was a collaboration between Brenden Fletcher and Kelly thompson or something but I'm sure I saw in the solicits the other day that someone else was actually scripting it, is that right? I was sure the interviews I had read didn't involve the scripter, so it kind of confused me. Or am I confusing books here.

Btw I thought this book was a collaboration between Brenden Fletcher and Kelly thompson or something but I'm sure I saw in the solicits the other day that someone else was actually scripting it, is that right? I was sure the interviews I had read didn't involve the scripter, so it kind of confused me. Or am I confusing books here.
They are credited with the story, but Tini Howard is credited with the script.

They are credited with the story, but Tini Howard is credited with the script.

Right cool I thought it was something like that. Like I said just confused me, in the build up I had never caught on.

By the by, still working my way through dcyou trades before the Rebirth stuff drops in the new year. I have midnighter down as a must read but I had a bunch of others I had previously been interested in etc so does anyone have any thoughts onnnn

Prez, tynions Constantine, we are robin, Robin son of batman, Dr Fate (art on this is so nice), rob williams Martian Manhunt er

Basically are any of those really bad. They are all done now, so really just thinking about them for fun

Right cool I thought it was something like that. Like I said just confused me, in the build up I had never caught on.

By the by, still working my way through dcyou trades before the Rebirth stuff drops in the new year. I have midnighter down as a must read but I had a bunch of others I had previously been interested in etc so does anyone have any thoughts onnnn

Prez, tynions Constantine, we are robin, Robin son of batman, Dr Fate (art on this is so nice), rob williams Martian Manhunt er

Basically are any of those really bad. They are all done now, so really just thinking about them for fun
That Constantine run bored the fuck out of me. I dropped it after the first arc and I'm surprised I made it that far. Actually, I think I only got four issues in. Maybe five. Regardless I found it insanely boring. Art was godlike though.

That Constantine run bored the fuck out of me. I dropped it after the first arc and I'm surprised I made it that far. Actually, I think I only got four issues in. Maybe five. Regardless I found it insanely boring. Art was godlike though.

Hahah oh dear okay, I'll keep that in mind. Did Rossmo make it all the way to the end or was he subbed like a lot of the final.books pre rebirth?

the Tynion/Doyle/like 8 different artists Constantine is pretty good. I liked the start of We Are Robin but I fell waaaaay behind. Prez is supposed to be good.
Hahah oh dear okay, I'll keep that in mind. Did Rossmo make it all the way to the end or was he subbed like a lot of the final.books pre rebirth?
He was on and off throughout but most of the artists were good. Vanesa Del Rey, Chris Visions, Ming Doyle, et al do fill ins and they all look great. Last couple issues are by the guy who does Tynion's Memetic books at Boom
Have you read Renato Jones: The One %?

the Tynion/Doyle/like 8 different artists Constantine is pretty good. I liked the start of We Are Robin but I fell waaaaay behind. Prez is supposed to be good.

He was on and off throughout but most of the artists were good. Vanesa Del Rey, Chris Visions, Ming Doyle, et al do fill ins and they all look great. Last couple issues are by the guy who does Tynion's Memetic books at Boom

Cheers for the thoughts! I am way behind even by trade waiter standards ha, I think all of these that made it far enough are getting second volumes soon. I don't want to miss anything that was good though, I really like this period of DC.

I reaaally like all those artists you mentioned so that's not too big a con, especially Del Rey. Quite awesome Rossmo is doing some of batman for night of the Monster men.

I think it's a little before but I was looking at Arkham manor too, I liked the issue Duggan did with Snyder to spin the series out. I only didn't bother with that because in the end it seemed to exist really just for endgame? Not sure how well it stands alone.

Rossmo doing Batman should be dope. I wasn't too hot on him at the start of Constantine for some reason but I grew to really like him, especially in his last couple issues on the series

Rossmo doing Batman should be dope. I wasn't too hot on him at the start of Constantine for some reason but I grew to really like him, especially in his last couple issues on the series

I always had a soft spot for Proof back in the day at Image I really liked his work in there. Green Wake too, despite how that turned out. His style isn't for everyone, and it does slip sometimes but he's cool. He's up there with Chris Mitten as guys who have a great style for horror books that I'd like to see more of in the mainstream.

I always had a soft spot for Proof back in the day at Image I really liked his work in there. Green Wake too, despite how that turned out. His style isn't for everyone, and it does slip sometimes but he's cool. He's up there with Chris Mitten as guys who have a great style for horror books that I'd like to see more of in the mainstream.
Yeah I think it stems from remembering Bedlam, which was inconsistent art-wise. His CtH stuff is generally more consistent and tonally a good fit for DCU-integrated Constantine. Glad he's getting higher profile work!

I wish Vanesa Del Rey was doing more DC work, because Batman stuff and the like seems more up her alley than Spider-Woman and Scarlet Witch.

Yeah I think it stems from remembering Bedlam, which was inconsistent art-wise. His CtH stuff is generally more consistent and tonally a good fit for DCU-integrated Constantine. Glad he's getting higher profile work!

I wish Vanesa Del Rey was doing more DC work, because Batman stuff and the like seems more up her alley than Spider-Woman and Scarlet Witch.

I'll definitely give you that, Bedlam is definitely the worst thing I've seen him do. Honestly though, I didn't feel it was a very good book all around. It reminds me though, Spencer had all those projects liked up, a book with Butch Guice etc, those never did appear.

In total agreement about Del Rey. I hope and maybe think we'll see more of these kinds of artists utilised at DC in the future though. The DCYou movement thing died but I feel like there has been a big impact in terms of creators in Rebirth, even if the actual properties/genres being used are much safer than Rebirth or the post divergence wave. Rossmo on a bat book for example, or Steve Orlando on a JLA book. Also just the schedule, the need for deeper teams of artists working on 3 issue clicks, hopefully more varied hungrier artists get in there as a result. The old DC house style really has broken down to a large degree.

Not even thread worthy. But this:

This might be thread worthy.

They should work internationally. Check your messages.

After finishing Volume 1 of Deadly Class yesterday, I finally know where your avatar is from. That issue was fucking weird and I liked it.

I've still got Saga to read but I'd find it really difficult to rank Lazarus, East of West and Deadly Class after finishing the first volumes. They're all so good. Image is love. Image is life.

Who has Destiny but won't be pre-ordering Rise of Iron? I have an extra code for the Gjallarhorn and Sparrow.

I'm on xbox man, if Mindwipe is out I'd take em, but if they're gone no biggie :)

I've still got Saga to read but I'd find it really difficult to rank Lazarus, East of West and Deadly Class after finishing the first volumes. They're all so good. Image is love. Image is life.

I like all the books but I would put Lazarus a mile ahead of deadly class and east of west. Alongside Saga and Southern Bastards, Lazarus is the best book at Image right now. Really glad you enjoyed them all though, first time into this stuff is mind bending.

Top Bottom