• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Spider-Man

This issue was soooo good....until it got to the CW stuff. I continue to just hate this god damn event. At least we get the start of the younger Avengers starting to see differently.

Deathstroke

This book is a bit confusing but I'm still really liking it. Just wish we had more of actual Deathstroke.

Messi

Spider-Man

This issue was soooo good....until it got to the CW stuff. I continue to just hate this god damn event. At least we get the start of the younger Avengers starting to see differently.

Deathstroke

This book is a bit confusing but I'm still really liking it. Just wish we had more of actual Deathstroke.

When you said CW stuff I thought you meant the network CW. I was like wtf the drama between miles and ganke is half the fun.

TheFlow

Banned
Spider-Man

Deathstroke

thought it was handled pretty well

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
After finishing Volume 1 of Deadly Class yesterday, I finally know where your avatar is from. That issue was fucking weird and I liked it.

I've still got Saga to read but I'd find it really difficult to rank Lazarus, East of West and Deadly Class after finishing the first volumes. They're all so good. Image is love. Image is life.

You picked extremely well. Glad to hear everything is living up to the hype for you.

Anyone do an analysis of Doom Patrol #1? My brain is trying to connect the race car stuff. First issue of Grants run shows Cliffs accident. First issue of Ways has the racecars with racecar sounds during the gyro part. Connection between Cliff and Casey?

Duress

Do you guys bring a sketch book when you pay for a commissioned sketch, or do you just let them draw what ever on their own paper?

Nova is coming in December as well as the new Guardian books.
Did I miss something or was there no Ms. Marvel issue(and no appearance or mini-story in either of the holiday issues)?

Don't know what to think of the Nova creative team. The fact they try to make it a secret who's coming back is strange.

Another month of being humiliated, right!

Haha, last night I wrote Click

Todays solicits:

BWIDOW2016009COV.jpg

they obviously changed plans at the very last minute, after my inspiration.

Also Aaron referencing Original Sin. Bring back Nick Fury, fix what you broke man, haha

Sandfox

X-Men '92 is done.

There are some pretty cool covers and December looks like a month I'll like. I wasn't a fan of the previous Nova creative team so I'm glad they got someone different and the same is true for Star-Lord. Rosenberg's Rocket Raccoon, Thompson's Hawkeye, and Tamaki's Hulk are new books I want to read as well. I'll probably end up checking out U.S. Avengers for the team and writer, but I'm not sure.

Did I miss something or was there no Ms. Marvel issue(and no appearance or mini-story in either of the holiday issues)?

Don't know what to think of the Nova creative team. The fact they try to make it a secret who's coming back is strange.

Ramon Perez is amazing. Really looking forward to his take on this book.

Messi

Do you guys bring a sketch book when you pay for a commissioned sketch, or do you just let them draw what ever on their own paper?

I let them use their own paper. I don't use sketch books. Yet. Thinking of starting a Harley one though.

Duress

I let them use their own paper. I don't use sketch books. Yet. Thinking of starting a Harley one though.

Yeah, I figured it'd be nice to have collection like a scrap book, but I'm afraid I might mess things up if I wanted to frame one of them.

Solicits are such a strange aspect of comics and the direct market influence. Like reading solicits for December essentially guarantees you spoil the outcomes of the books you're currently reading. There are obviously new books you can follow and see what interests you.

For such a spoiler adverse fan base, solicits are weird as hell.

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #15
RYAN NORTH (W) • ERICA HENDERSON (A/C)

• When the TASKMASTER comes to town - and brings with him his ability to DUPLICATE ANYONE’S SWEET MOVES – who stands between him and total domination?
• See, I can tell you’re glancing at the title of this comic and whispering “Well, it’s PROBABLY Squirrel Girl,” but guess what? This time it’s actually Nancy’s cat Mew, who has NO POWERS WHATSOEVER!
• THRILL as Mew loafs around the house! GASP as Mew chases a mouse and then has a nap! BOGGLE as you wonder how we possibly managed to pitch “an issue entirely from the cat’s point of view” to Marvel, a multinational corporation with a LOT invested in our comic continuing to star a squirrel and/or girl!
• They knew the risks when they let Hawkeye have that Pizza Dog issue though, so this was clearly inevitable.
• MEW ISSUE, BRING YOUR TISSUES!

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

They should just add The engineer from the Authority books to cyborgs book instead.

When I first scrolled past that image, I actually thought they were bringing her in.

After finishing Volume 1 of Deadly Class yesterday, I finally know where your avatar is from. That issue was fucking weird and I liked it.

I've still got Saga to read but I'd find it really difficult to rank Lazarus, East of West and Deadly Class after finishing the first volumes. They're all so good. Image is love. Image is life.

Yuuuuuuuuuuup. I pretty much read Image, a few Black Mask/BOOM/other indies and...that's the majority of what I read. I haven't touched a Marvel or DC comic other than to read a random issue in store since like...Ellis' Moon Knight run.

I don't personally feel like I'm missing much.

Maybe Karnak or Omega Men.

I amazingly however cannot get into Lazarus at all. Gave Vol. 1 a try and then read some of my friend's Vol. 2 and I don't like it at all. I find it insanely boring. Guess that's just a weird misstep with me for some reason.

Y'all wanna talk about Injection on the other hand, or when you get caught up on Deadly Class, we can do some motherfucking shop talk.

Lazarus is one of Images best books.

I legit don't know why I can't get into it, maybe it's a personality flaw. I just...it didn't click for whatever reason.

I think that's in Comic GAF's collective top five. I can't say a single bad thing about that damn book. Every issue feels better than what came before.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread but the end of Vol. 4 left me shook and I don't throw out shitty meme phrases like that lightly. I cannot believe the balls on them to do the shit they did in that. That's a huge risk and I really wanna see the payoff.

Stray Bullets #1-41 along with Stray Bullets: killers is the best Image will ever get. everything else is a step down

Would be nice if it didn't follow the Joe Madureira style of comic releases.

Lazarus is one of Images best books.

Yea I absolutely love it. That gut punch at the end of volume 4....can't wait to see what's next. Rucka does such a good job of world building, he never shows anything unnaturally or in an info dumpy manner but when he shows you something. The Morey stuff is creepy as hell. I love the interactions between the different Lazarus' too, very compelling character work. And of course e just everyone being a shit heel.

WadiumArcadium really needs to check out Southern Bastards and or Velvet next! If you've not done so yet man.

I think that's in Comic GAF's collective top five. I can't say a single bad thing about that damn book. Every issue feels better than what came before.

Definitely a fantastic book and I'd agree, enough readers to hit a collective list (which we should vote for) but I definitely can find a few things to prod. Mostly just remenders over narration and penchant for stating the themes of the book out loud in quite on the nose fashion. This is definitely the book he does it least though and thus makes it easily his best book. And I haven't even read the batshit battle royal arc yet!

Messi

I legit don't know why I can't get into it, maybe it's a personality flaw. I just...it didn't click for whatever reason.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread but the end of Vol. 4 left me shook and I don't throw out shitty meme phrases like that lightly. I cannot believe the balls on them to do the shit they did in that. That's a huge risk and I really wanna see the payoff.

I wouldn't overthink it. Some books just never click. I read Invincible and had the same reaction. I just don't get the appeal. But many people love it.

Check out images book by Stjepan Sejic called Sunstone. It's a lesbian bdsm friendship love story slice of life book with great characters and fun dialog.

TheFlow

Banned

Would be nice if it didn't follow the Joe Madureira style of comic releases.

stray bullets has actually been releasing monthly for almost 2 years without a hitch.

I wouldn't overthink it. Some books just never click. I read Invincible and had the same reaction. I just don't get the appeal. But many people love it.

Not a fan either, or of the walking dead either for that matter. Read the first invincible omnibus and just couldnt get jnto it. Kirkman has good ideas but I just can't get behind his dialogue. Outcast really looks like the type of book I'd dig too but I dunno. I can't imagine something as fundamental as that would be any different.

Check out images book by Stjepan Sejic called Sunstone. It's a lesbian bdsm friendship love story slice of life book with great characters and fun dialog.

I've been meaning to pick that up because I've read his super gothy grim reaper book I have suddenly forgotten the name of.

Messi

I've been meaning to pick that up because I've read his super gothy grim reaper book I have suddenly forgotten the name of.

Death Vigil. Also awesome. But Sunstone is much lighter until Sejic repeatedly hits you in the feels. Both happiness and sadness. It's beautiful :)

Owzers

Solicits are such a strange aspect of comics and the direct market influence. Like reading solicits for December essentially guarantees you spoil the outcomes of the books you're currently reading. There are obviously new books you can follow and see what interests you.

For such a spoiler adverse fan base, solicits are weird as hell.

i don't read the text for books i'm buying monthly, just new books and to see if current books are tie-ins/crossovers to something if i haven't heard about it already.

Top Bottom