• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

TheFlow

Banned
Seven to Eternity #1
Seven-to-Eternity-slide.jpg

It is very rare for me to love everything and want more from a book. This will easily be Remender's best book if his team can keep up this high quality. This #1 was better than all his others under image. He finally got something to rival Saga. The pure world building done just in the first issue is crazy, and the weapons/magic is so cool. Also warning this book is just as brutal as his other works. Think of Low/deadly class type violence

5/5 Remender is the best in the game

Nightwing #2 Raptor is a dick.
NTW_Cv2_57326865387b69.18795802.jpg

Nightwing #3 Barbara was dickish but she is right. Dick seems to be so lost on how to surpass Batman and become his own. Like this book is hard to read as a Nightwing fan. He is kinda be jobbed by everyone he talks to .

So far I would give nightwing a 3/5 with the art being the highlight.

Messi

I thought Remender said Seven to Eternity was PG13 style :/

Oh man Riley Rossmo is doing the monster men Detective art.

TheFlow

Banned
Nightwing #4 Better than Batman Conclusion

fuckkk this issue sucked because not only did Dick get played we found out that Batman and Batgirl were right. sigh. My boy nightwing needs a win.

Art was solid like always and the giant owl fight <3 was awesome.

4/5 for this issue but overall the series is a 3/5
. Best way to redeem Dick is for him to fuck up Raptor. I am talking Redhood vs joker fucked up.

Seven to Eternity #1
Seven-to-Eternity-slide.jpg

It is very rare for me to love everything and want more from a book. This will easily be Remender's best book if his team can keep up this high quality. This #1 was better than all his others under image. He finally got something to rival Saga. The pure world building done just in the first issue is crazy, and the weapons/magic is so cool. Also warning this book is just as brutal as his other works. Think of Low/deadly class type violence

Holy hyperbole. It it's genuinely that good, that's awesome. I have to admit I wasn't too amped, what's another remender book to the 4 I read already. Sounds great though.

I read everyone's write ups. I use them in different ways though so I don't always acknowledge that I have. If it's current single issues I'll skim them to get what everyone thinks in general about a book but not too deep so I don't catch any spoilers. They help me keep track of what's worth reading by the time a trade surfaces though.

TheFlow

Banned
Holy hyperbole. It it's genuinely that good, that's awesome. I have to admit I wasn't too amped, what's another remender book to the 4 I read already. Sounds great though.

I read everyone's write ups. I use them in different ways though so I don't always acknowledge that I have. If it's current single issues I'll skim them to get what everyone thinks in general about a book but not too deep so I don't catch any spoilers. They help me keep track of what's worth reading by the time a trade surfaces though.

yea I was blown away by this issue, so I might have exaggerated some but I honestly think this is Remender at his best.

Absolutely loving Power Man and Iron Fist. Walker was able to make the premise of Civil War II actually work. And way quicker than Bendis did.

The book is funny, well paced, and really digging into what makes Luke and Danny tick. The cameos in this recent issue were pretty damn inspired too!

I hope David Walker is ok though, last time I checked he was in the hospital for an anxiety attack.

TheFlow

Banned
Batman #7 Monster Men Part 1

wtf how is this issue the best thing out of Tom kings batman and why is the art better than Green Arrow. I am so confused. This crossover is fucking epic so far.

There are two pages that gave me goosebumps. Also that one page of strange will definitely be talked about here because it is soooo wtf.
dude is butt as naked lifting weights.

5/5 Warning don't read this unless you are caught up with the other two books or don't mind being spoiled.

but srs who ever drew and filled in the colors deserve a fucking award.

Nightwing #5 Monster Men Part 2.

Wow DC and the writers are not holding back on this crossover. it is fucking amazing. Like everything that has been happening in all 3 books has been leading to this moment. Everyone has a reason and a purpose for what they are doing. Nothing feels half assed, no silly plotholes, and no dumb calls so far.

Only 2 parts so far but this is easily the highlight of Rebirth for me. This is coming from a guy who avoids crossovers and events like the plagues.

5/5 Batfamily fans will be in love with these two issues. can't wait for part 3 next week.

Another thing to take note is how great the dialog is between everyone. top notch

Messi

I think it is has a better start than deadly class. Low is debatable.

scary how he is just popping out these hits.

He's a machine. Very glad he ended up going ham on image books. I might be in the minority in thinking this but Deadly Class for me had a dodgy start and it hit its stride right before the Vegas stuff. The issue where they head to Vegas is amazing. First two issues while good promised a series I wouldn't have interest in.

Low was dope from page one.

TheFlow

Banned
He's a machine. Very glad he ended up going ham on image books. I might be in the minority in thinking this but Deadly Class for me had a dodgy start and it hit its stride right before the Vegas stuff. The issue where they head to Vegas is amazing. First two issues while good promised a series I wouldn't have interest in.

Low was dope from page one.

we are in exact agreement on that. low's first arc is sooo good.

Owzers

All this Seven to Eternity talk here but let me ask you: Would you trust the opinion of a comic book from someone on the internet? They could be anyone. They could be you.

TheFlow

Banned
I am still kinda picking my jaw up from the monster men stuff. I am sooo glad I went in blind. Messi I know you love your girl Jordie but I think the coloring done in part 1 bypassed Green Arrow.

I bought Raven as well but I need a break. this is one hell of a week for comics.

I should put together my dc reviews and post them in the rebirth thread. let them know what they are in for.

Batman #7 Monster Men Part 1

wtf how is this issue the best thing out of Tom kings batman and why is the art better than Green Arrow. I am so confused. This crossover is fucking epic so far.

There are two pages that gave me goosebumps. Also that one page of strange will definitely be talked about here because it is soooo wtf.
dude is butt as naked lifting weights.

5/5 Warning don't read this unless you are caught up with the other two books or don't mind being spoiled.

but srs who ever drew and filled in the colors deserve a fucking award.

Nightwing #5 Monster Men Part 2.

Wow DC and the writers are not holding back on this crossover. it is fucking amazing. Like everything that has been happening in all 3 books has been leading to this moment. Everyone has a reason and a purpose for what they are doing. Nothing feels half assed, no silly plotholes, and no dumb calls so far.

Only 2 parts so far but this is easily the highlight of Rebirth for me. This is coming from a guy who avoids crossovers and events like the plagues.

5/5 Batfamily fans will be in love with these two issues. can't wait for part 3 next week.

Another thing to take note is how great the dialog is between everyone. top notch
Orlando helping is pretty great. Can't wait for JLA.

Messi

I am still kinda picking my jaw up from the monster men stuff. I am sooo glad I went in blind. Messi I know you love your girl Jordie but I think the coloring done in part 1 bypassed Green Arrow.

I bought Raven as well but I need a break. this is one hell of a week for comics.

I should put together my dc reviews and post them in the rebirth thread. let them know what they are in for.

Who did the colouring. I just think Jordies work is consistently great. She does so much work too

BC has made a list of the Love Is Love people they currently know is working on it.
They include Phil Jimenez, Steve Sadowski, Paul Jenkins, Mike Carey, Matt Wagner, Marguerite Bennett, Aneke, Damon Lindelof, Patton Oswalt, Steven Orlando, Rafael Albuquerque, Jason Aaron, Jason Latour, James Asmus, Ming Doyle, James Tynion IV, Cecil Castellucci, Brandon Peterson, Jesus Saiz, Olivier Coipel, Leinil Yu, Elsa Charretier, and many more to be announced.
Gail Simone is doing a story as well btw. Mentioned it on tumblr.

TheFlow

Banned
Who did the colouring. I just think Jordies work is consistently great. She does so much work too

Riley Rossmo was the main artist so I gotta give him a shoutout but

Ivan Plascencia the colorist stole the show. let me tell you how this cat made the explosions in the rain look like an animated movie.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Reading through last weeks issues, going to drop Spider-Man 2099. Enjoyed it at first, but this latest arc has been dull as dishwater.

Ross61

Got caught up with Flash. I understand everyone's complaints, but I'm really loving this title. And it keeps getting better. On to Wonder Woman.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Got caught up with Flash. I understand everyone's complaints, but I'm really loving this title. And it keeps getting better. On to Wonder Woman.

I'm liking it too. Enjoying Wonder Woman as well, although the two stories at the same time is confusing.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Josh Williamson can write. Check out Birthright sometime if you are looking for something to read.

smisk

Starting to think I should switch to digital, as much as I love going to my LCS...
I try to limit myself to one shortbox of storage for floppies, plus what I can fit in my desk drawer. Starting to run out of space so I'm going through and getting rid of stuff I don't feel the need to keep. The nice thing is I can redeem Marvel stuff online and read it later regardless so that's much easier for me to part with (The recent Uncanny X-Men run is all going in the recycling). I wish other publishers would include codes as well. But it's still a pain trying to decide what's worthy of keeping and I'm worried this hobby is going to eventually turn me into a hoarder with dozens of longboxes in my closet.

I read the first three or so issues of Flash and it was fine, but it didn't feel like something I needed to read as it came out. I might pick up the trades if they're not too expensive.

I really like Wonder Woman though. Second only to Detective Comics in the Rebirth titles I'm buying.

Owzers

Starting to think I should switch to digital, as much as I love going to my LCS...
I try to limit myself to one shortbox of storage for floppies, plus what I can fit in my desk drawer. Starting to run out of space so I'm going through and getting rid of stuff I don't feel the need to keep. The nice thing is I can redeem Marvel stuff online and read it later regardless so that's much easier for me to part with (The recent Uncanny X-Men run is all going in the recycling). I wish other publishers would include codes as well. But it's still a pain trying to decide what's worthy of keeping and I'm worried this hobby is going to eventually turn me into a hoarder with dozens of longboxes in my closet.

Sometimes doing the right thing is worth the annoyances.

Top Bottom