• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Slott has now written a fifth of all total Amazing Spider-Man issues.

Made a thread.

Jesus. May not be a fan of his run, but dude is committed, so I'll give him that.

Between delays and solicitations, I kind of lost what little interest in Civil War II that I had.

Like we already know Carol is going to "win" and Steve and Miles are walking away from the event no worse for wear so all these shocking twists are kind of pointless at this point.

Messi

Messi, do you know all the books Jordie is doing right now?

Vision
Batman
All Star Batman
Pretty Deadly
Nowhere Men
Plutona
Moon Knight
Manhattan Projects (if it ever returns)
Injection
Future Quest
They are not like us
Autumnlands

I'm probably forgetting loads

Owzers

I bought it too.

I switched to digital just over a year ago, and there's no going back. You just can't beat the convenience that Comixology provides.

When you end up in Comics Hell surrounded by "hidden gem" unpublished Valiant stories that you have to write reviews about for all eternity, at least you can remind yourself how convenient digital was.

shingi70

Banned
rJnyZKk.gif

Roman

Jesus. May not be a fan of his run, but dude is committed, so I'll give him that.

Between delays and solicitations, I kind of lost what little interest in Civil War II that I had.

Like we already know Carol is going to "win" and Steve and Miles are walking away from the event no worse for wear so all these shocking twists are kind of pointless at this point.

Fully agreed. #5 just devolves the plot into a lazy, cliché mess of predictable tropes. With the first four issues I was carefully optimistic, but now I feel this story isn't even worth the effort of getting upset over it. Some of the worst parts for me are the utterly out of character moments and dialogue choices for certain characters. Bendis utterly fails to present
Black Panther and Blue Marvel
in any comprehensible fashion. With other characters it's not at all clear why they are even on Carol's side like
Storm
. Power levels are also treated rather arbitrarily.

This also reaffirmed my impression of the IvX solicits being a sad attempt at recapturing emotional story beats that brought them money before.

There are really good books in Marvel's line currently, but the overall universe seems too tryhard and confused - mainly anything involving the terrigen mists. It just boggles the mind.

DC just happened to pick a good moment to redeem themselves with Rebirth, the August numbers are very telling of current mindshare.

Hagi

Man Superman is such a comfy book the newest issue was fantastic, this family is so fun to read about. I could probably drop every other Rebirth book and just read this and be happy.

Vision
Batman
All Star Batman
Pretty Deadly
Nowhere Men
Plutona
Moon Knight
Manhattan Projects (if it ever returns)
Injection
Future Quest
They are not like us
Autumnlands

I'm probably forgetting loads
Hmm, with Vision ending I kinda wish she(and Declan). would go DC exclusive later. They are so good!

I'm really unhappy with the state of Civil War II and #5 did not help.

The action is clearer than typical "action issue" Bendis but that's about the only nice thing I can say about it. And he only manages that by completely ignoring a huge chunk of the characters present for the battle.

Never thought I'd say this about a Marvel event but this book is on notice.

The action is clearer than typical "action issue" Bendis but that's about the only nice thing I can say about it. And he only manages that by completely ignoring a huge chunk of the characters present for the battle.
The reason he decided on for keeping the guardians on Earth is so stupid.
In a world with multiple supergeniuses, multiple companies and agencies with warp capable ships and a huge space station in orbit you'd think they'd be able to get one ship somehow. Hell, the DnA ones were on Earth after the Negative Zone prison arc and they got back into space easily despite no one knowing who they were.

The reason he decided on for keeping the guardians on Earth is so stupid.
In a world with multiple supergeniuses, multiple companies and agencies with warp capable ships and a huge space station in orbit you'd think they'd be able to get one ship somehow. Hell, the DnA ones were on Earth after the Negative Zone prison arc and they got into space easily despite no one knowing who they were.

Is that really why? It's so dumb that didn't even register. Holy fuck.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
They'd still do their own books etc. I just want more of their writing and art! Imagine them doing a Batman or Duke mini-series together.

I don't read DC. There isn't a book there for them that would excite me. If they had to go exclusive I'd want it to be with Marvel.

Man Superman is such a comfy book the newest issue was fantastic, this family is so fun to read about. I could probably drop every other Rebirth book and just read this and be happy.

Yeah, that was a nice little story. The Eradicator fight lasted a bit too long in the last few issues but this book has a lot of heart. Dad Superman is the best, it humanizes him a lot.

Raven #1 was ok. Nice art and Wolfman's writing was not as dated as I thought it would be. Still, I won't be picking up issue 2, I'm just not really feeling it.

Trinity #1 was exactly what you'd expect from a Manapul book. Gorgeous artwork and bizarre storytelling. I'll keep buying it just for the art but I wouldn't mind a co-writer at least.

Night of the Monster Men 1+2 were both neat, as were Trinity and Superman (those last two pages are adorable). Civil War II was...alright, Vision was amazing.

EDIT: I liked the art in CWII, especially that first punch
Carol hit Tony with.
That looks like it would've taken someone's head off.

Kay. Meh. Hope that thats not the famous Event Turningpoint since it seemed that Civil War was pretty good so far

Fell off a cliff imho

The delays are contributing heavily to my sharp drop in interest. I feel like Marvel has lost the plot when it comes to events in allowing such major delays on line-altering event books. You're going to charge me $5 an issue and everything that happens will be spoiled by the time the last issue comes out? Okay well the story had better be really damn good, Secret Wars was a good book through and through and even that one lost much of its spark thanks to delays. Oh and you're adding an issue? Okay there better not be any filler or pointless issues.

#5: bad story, pointless issue

Vyer

Never thought I'd say this about a Marvel event but this book is on notice.

Really? I find I can say this often when it comes to events
but then usually finish them anyway

Really? I find I can say this often when it comes to events
but then usually finish them anyway

I am usually pretty damn committed to Marvel events. Maybe I threatened to drop Axis? I don't remember but I doubt it. The whole point of reading the event book, for me, is to stay current on the big happenings in the greater shared universe. It's pretty rare that I ever want to re-read any of them, but I am a huge sucker for all the twists and deaths and other bullshit.

Yah not even reading the best releases

I read my books in order of spoiler probability, then alphabetical. Though I'm jumping around today as I've barely read anything in weeks and I'm neck deep in new issues

I haven't read it yet, but is this it? Is thos the point we've come to expect from every Marvel event where it jumps the shark?

This is it.

The last page. I laughed. Bitterly.

Aceun

My main issue with CW2 #5 is that we've waited so long to get a useless issue that doesn't drive the narrative forward in any way. Literally nothing on the stupid briefcase.

I'm still gleaning way more information from the tie-ins:
For example, we learn in the X-men book that Ulysses' power only works in the short term. And he's not necessarily reading the future, he is more-so highlighting what will happen if events continue uninterrupted

Which makes the cliffhanger even more frustrating. I'll chalk it up to delays, but the dialogue was forced, the match ups were uninteresting and the story went nowhere.

Still, it makes me excited for Champions :)

Messi

I told you. It looks exactly like the prototype. I was pretty shocked. Definitely a high point for DCC production quality. Katana looks great, too.

You know what's bullshit tho. She has the Rotten tattoo on her face in the promo pics but not the statue. The DVD special edition version has the tattoo.

Love Is Love list updated:
UPDATE: More names added

They include Phil Jimenez, Steve Sadowski, Paul Jenkins, Mike Carey, Matt Wagner, Marguerite Bennett, Aneke, Damon Lindelof, Patton Oswalt, Steven Orlando, Rafael Albuquerque, Jason Aaron, Jason Latour, James Asmus, Ming Doyle, James Tynion IV, Cecil Castellucci, Brandon Peterson, Jesus Saiz, Olivier Coipel, Leinil Yu, Elsa Charretier, Cat Staggs, Steve Orlando, Brian Michael Bendis, Emma Vicelli, Kieron Gillen, Various, Dennis Cowen, Paul Dini, Ming Doyle, Ed Luce, Jay Edidin,

Fully agreed. #5 just devolves the plot into a lazy, cliché mess of predictable tropes. With the first four issues I was carefully optimistic, but now I feel this story isn't even worth the effort of getting upset over it. Some of the worst parts for me are the utterly out of character moments and dialogue choices for certain characters. Bendis utterly fails to present
Black Panther and Blue Marvel
in any comprehensible fashion. With other characters it's not at all clear why they are even on Carol's side like
Storm
. Power levels are also treated rather arbitrarily.

This also reaffirmed my impression of the IvX solicits being a sad attempt at recapturing emotional story beats that brought them money before.

There are really good books in Marvel's line currently, but the overall universe seems too tryhard and confused - mainly anything involving the terrigen mists. It just boggles the mind.

DC just happened to pick a good moment to redeem themselves with Rebirth, the August numbers are very telling of current mindshare.

What definitely doesn't help either is that as far as "Big Events" goes, this just really comes off as Cynical Cash Grab. Like, I'm interested in the titles that are spinning out of the event like Occupy Avengers, Champions, and the new She Hulk book. But the event itself it feels like even the creators don't even really give a shit about it.

Top Bottom